Puppy 4..2alpha "Deepthought" Bug Reports and Fixes

WhoDo

#31 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:I tried Hairywill's Rox-rightclicks on an image and guess what, it says "View with Fotoxx" Ummm its been removed so thats a bug :)
Go to /root/my-roxapps and click on the Rox-Right-Clicks icon. It will update your list to the currently installed applications.

It probably hasn't updated since it was originally installed. There must be a config file somewhere that I included by accident.
Last edited by WhoDo on Sun 18 Jan 2009, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

01micko

#32 Post by 01micko »

The weather font doesn't work in Pwidgets. And we need the 'howto' to set the location. Trouble is, with accuweather it is different for the US. I'll look into it...
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

WhoDo

#33 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:The weather font doesn't work in Pwidgets. And we need the 'howto' to set the location. Trouble is, with accuweather it is different for the US. I'll look into it...
I'll fix the font for the next release. Now that we've got a GPL weather font there is no reason not to include it.

The HowTo is a good idea. You write it and I'll add it in.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

01micko

#34 Post by 01micko »

I looked in usr/share/fonts/default/TTF..... no weather font... hmmm, is that a bug?

Ok, we posted at the same time! :lol:

Aha, ok, gpl weather font. Can you PM it to me? I'll check it out. Or a link will do.

WhoDo

#35 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:Aha, ok, gpl weather font. Can you PM it to me? I'll check it out. Or a link will do.
Better still ... here it is!
Attachments
nowtheweather.tar.gz
Weather font for Pwidgets - extract to /root/.fonts directory
(91.75 KiB) Downloaded 1431 times

01micko

#36 Post by 01micko »

ok I extracted but I know it goes into '/usr/share/font/default/TTF

ALSO in '~/.pwidgets/config/Weather' the lines after text must be like this, obviously, this is where you change your weather code too

Code: Select all

${color0}${font NowTheWeather:size=62}${execi 10 /root/.pwidgets/scripts/WeatherIcon "EUR|NO|NO009|Val%E5moen"}${font}  ${execi 10  /root/.pwidgets/scripts/Weather city}
${color1}${execi 10  /root/.pwidgets/scripts/Weather text}
emphasis on {font NowTheWeather}

Spose we have to check if all the symbols correspond, different font, maybe different. I wouldn't like to see a snowflake when it's 36C outside!
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 18 Jan 2009, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#37 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:ok I extracted but I know it goes into '/usr/share/font/default/TTF
Yeah ... and ... No. On my system it's in the root/.fonts directory and Pwidgets finds it there, as does Abiword. Ooh! I just got DejaVu all over again! :P

pa_mcclamrock

Re: Puppy 4..2alpha "Deepthought" Bug Reports and Fixes

#38 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:I have just uploaded the first alpha for Puppy 4.2 Deepthought. Although I am very happy with its current state, it is still an alpha so some diligent testing and bug chasing is in order.
I'm pretty eager to try out 4.2, but not so eager that I won't wait for the next alpha release, in which the reported IceWM bugs will surely have been fixed. :D

How about editing the title of this thread with each new trial release, to make it really obvious when there's a new one? Like, "Puppy 4.2 (now alpha 2, 19 Jan 2009) [ :lol: ] Bug Reports and Fixes"? From the sticky at the top of this sub-forum page, everyone must already know Puppy 4.2 is called "Deep Thought"; you could save some valuable title space by not repeating it here.

David McClamrock
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

ttuuxxx

#39 Post by ttuuxxx »

I'll try to have the Icewm fixes ready tomorrow, Its getting late tonight and I'm about 70% finished, But I have to get up at 5am for work in the morning. and its 11PM now.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

01micko

#40 Post by 01micko »

WhoDo wrote:
01micko wrote:ok I extracted but I know it goes into '/usr/share/font/default/TTF
Yeah ... and ... No. On my system it's in the root/.fonts directory and Pwidgets finds it there, as does Abiword. Ooh! I just got DejaVu all over again! :P
Hardiharhar!!!!

I booted "puppy pfix=ram" . No '~/.fonts' dir exists. But more important is the code fix

EDIT: triple checked, NO hidden dir in /root called '.fonts' or anything similar.
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 18 Jan 2009, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#41 Post by 01micko »

Hmmmmmm, looks like it's hailing here. I got my weather code and it doesn't correspond, looks like we either have to edit the font or edit Sintot's weather script. It's actually a little cloudy but mostly clear, temp is ok.
Attachments
weathertoday.jpg
(7.91 KiB) Downloaded 3434 times

ttuuxxx

#42 Post by ttuuxxx »

ya I wish we had those flashy colour weather images, like on most screenlets. oh well this is still just the early stages of pwidgets.
4.2 still running strong after 12hrs no crashes or reboots :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

01micko

#43 Post by 01micko »

Here's a quick weather 'howto'

You have to edit a file. Ok, it can be done. Open the 'file' icon on the desktop. You will see a bunch of folders and a menu bar at the top of the window. There is a nice looking icon that resembles an eye, Left click it. A whole bunch more of folders and files will appear. Scroll down and find one that says '.pwidgets' (yes it has a 'dot' before it.) Click it once. A bunch more folders will appear, click(once) the 'Config' folder. Click the file (there are a bunch there) that is titled 'Weather'. It will open up in a program, which is what we call a text editor, something like 'Notepad', called 'Geany'. There you can read the contents. Peruse them. Try to understand what's going on. Go right down to a line that says 'TEXT'. Under that you will see the default listing of "EUR|NO|NO009|Val%E5moen". Replace this with your code. If you live in the US it is easy, just replace it with your zipcode, otherwise, do the following

goto "http://www.accuweather.com/us-city-list.asp"
goto 'enter an international location'
type your city (doesn't matter where you are, just type it in English if you can)
It will come up with some options, choose what suits you.
THEN in the browser bar (address bar I spose) there is a url, copy only the bit after "code=" and there will be something like 'OCN|AU|GOLD%20COAST' or 'EUR|UK|UK241|LONDON' or 'OCN|NZ|NZ000|AUCKLAND' or 'SAM|CL|CI011|SANTIAGO' or 'AFR|EG|EG011|CAIRO' (for Cairo, Egypt) or 'OCN|AU|NSW|Cairo' (for Cairo, NSW, Australia) or 'ASI|TH|TH017|BANGKOK'
FOR US, just do the zipcode, such as '90210' for Beverly Hills, California (yes, too much TV!)

Update Pwidgets now has a new weather font. Download the font file pweather1.ttf.gz and unzip it. Install it in 'usr/share/fonts/default/TTF' Try it out in Abiword, It will appear as 'pweather'. Edit the file I mention in the 1st paragraph of this 'howto'. Another way to get to that file is open the Pwidgets gui, on the left highlight 'Weather', click the config button at the top and the file will open in the default text editor. At the beginning of the line where the weather code goes, 'line 51', you will see

Code: Select all

${color0}${font weather:size=62}${execi 10 
Change 'weather' to 'pweather', save the file, choose weather as a widget and enjoy!
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 25 Jan 2009, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.

J-Bob

#44 Post by J-Bob »

WhoDo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:I know its a bit soon, but I've been thinking about Puppy 5 a lot, I would like to see it based around woof, but with our own swing of things.
Yep. We could have ...
- 2.xx series for earlier lower resource machines (Retro series)
- 3.xx series for Slackware binary compatibility (Chihuahua series)
- 4.xx series for modern, higher resource machines (Dingo series)
- 5.xx series for Debian binary compatibility (Woof series)

I think that would just about cover everyone's requirements, don't you? There is no reason these can't all develop side-by-side and feed off each other's development efforts.
I like your thinking WhoDo.

Though 3.xx was probably going to be called the Lassie series. As chihuahua is the codename for 3.02CE.

maintaining 2.xx would be a good idea.
I think basing it off 2.17, and possibly also maintaining 2.10 would be good. As some machines cannot run any puppy beyond 2.10.

So how does this sound.

R.xx - Puppy essentials for older machines - Retro series
2.xx - A traditional Puppy - Dancer series
3.xx - A mix of tradition, and modern - Lassie series
4.xx - Pushing Puppy into the future - Dingo series
5.xx - Making other distros more like Puppy - Woof series

R.xx would be based off 2.10, and 2.xx based off 2.17.1

It might seem confusing, but it might work.

I'll leave to the rest of the community to think of what these puppies should be numbered/lettered and called.

I'll probably maintain 3.xx. And i imagine you (WhoDo) would possibly maintain later releases of Puppy 4.xx.

And we know that Barry probably will maintain Woof.

And if i have time available i might help with 4.xx, 2.xx and R.xx.

- J-Bob

ssme

#45 Post by ssme »

Yep. We could have ...

I think that would just about cover everyone's requirements, don't you? There is no reason these can't all develop side-by-side and feed off each other's development efforts.
i don't know if this thread is meant to be for developers or something, but i was just passing through when i came across this statement.

i'm a relative newcomer to puppy, and i always assumed that the whole point of new releases was so that everyone could upgrade to them, and that newer versions would be more efficient and generally run quicker on old hardware (as this is a puppy goal). am i wrong? i'm currently running puppy 4.1.2 on a p1 233mhz with 64mb ram... would i actually be better off with one of the puppy 2 series? this is the oldest machine i've ever tried puppy on, and 4.1.2 seems to run tolerably well (although it flatly refuses to give me any sound, which is almost annoying enough to make me give up with it). would a puppy 2 suit my hardware better?

apologies if this sounds like a stupid question, and keep up the good work :) (i'm downloading the alpha for testing on my other machine!)[/i]

J-Bob

#46 Post by J-Bob »

ssme wrote:
Yep. We could have ...

i don't know if this thread is meant to be for developers or something, but i was just passing through when i came across this statement.

i'm a relative newcomer to puppy, and i always assumed that the whole point of new releases was so that everyone could upgrade to them, and that newer versions would be more efficient and generally run quicker on old hardware (as this is a puppy goal). am i wrong? i'm currently running puppy 4.1.2 on a p1 233mhz with 64mb ram... would i actually be better off with one of the puppy 2 series? this is the oldest machine i've ever tried puppy on, and 4.1.2 seems to run tolerably well (although it flatly refuses to give me any sound, which is almost annoying enough to make me give up with it). would a puppy 2 suit my hardware better?

apologies if this sounds like a stupid question, and keep up the good work :) (i'm downloading the alpha for testing on my other machine!)[/i]
that's okay, as it's not a very dumb question at all.

but there are major differences between different puppies.
Puppy 2.xx or possibly Puppy R.xx, something i might make would be probably best for your computer.

or maybe Puppy 1.xx. But it's not used by too many people. But it is quite light, and fast. But it might not support as much, but you might be pleasantly surprised by Puppy 1.xx. It's flash works with youtube, so i know it's not extremely outdated. But it's still very old. And not recommended.

ssme

#47 Post by ssme »

thanks for the reply.

what would you describe as "older hardware" or "newer hardware"? where is the threshold? i keep reading about people running puppy on 386s and things, and i suppose some people might well use it as a super-fast linux on a brand new quad-core monster with 4gb of ram or whatever. so the potential hardware range is huge.

what are the 'major differences' between different versions? i've never noticed any change in the system requirements between versions. maybe i didn't look hard enough :)

8-bit

#48 Post by 8-bit »

Lobster wrote:Just to remind people who don't want the alpha to mess with their existing settings . . .

Press f2 (during the boot - be quick)
then type puppy pfix=ram
that means you are running in a pristine Puppy for testing . . .
I know it is a bit late in the game, but I have a few questions.
Is it possible to modify all of the new releases so that on booting, they would give you the option NOT to update if they found an older version of Puppy installed.
If the update of older versions is a script or called by one, it just seems to me that it would be a relatively easy thing to modify the script with an if then else modification with a prompt that waited for an answer.
It would save some installations being trashed upon booting a newer Puppy and with all the information options on the first boot screen, a slow reader would not get the chance to type "puppy pfix=ram".

What do you think?

rcrsn51

#49 Post by rcrsn51 »

What do you think?
I think, like everyone else who has suggested this over the last few years, that it's an excellent idea.

Unfortunately, too much emphasis seems to be placed on selecting the appropriate window manager or web browser, at the expense of these fundamental concerns.

J-Bob

#50 Post by J-Bob »

ssme wrote:thanks for the reply.

what would you describe as "older hardware" or "newer hardware"? where is the threshold? i keep reading about people running puppy on 386s and things, and i suppose some people might well use it as a super-fast linux on a brand new quad-core monster with 4gb of ram or whatever. so the potential hardware range is huge.

what are the 'major differences' between different versions? i've never noticed any change in the system requirements between versions. maybe i didn't look hard enough :)
Well, it's what was used to build it.

Puppy 2 was just based of Puppy 1.xx with modifications.
Puppy 3, Based off Puppy 2.xx, but added Slackware Linux dependencies.
Puppy 4, built entirely from scratch using T2.