Puppy 4..2alpha "Deepthought" Bug Reports and Fixes

WhoDo

#76 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:I think that is exactly what we are looking for. Zigbert wanted to create a font for weather and add some doggy cartoons in the one font, especially for puppy. Throw it up mate!
Yeah, thanks ttuuxxx! Micko you go hard, mate. I didn't mind the shareware font - clear and complete - but I just don't want to expose Puppy by distributing it, so it would be way better if we had our own! 8)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Pizzasgood

#77 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sorry, been busy lately and haven't had a chance to download and try this. Will do it tomorrow.
Lobster wrote:Just to remind people who don't want the alpha to mess with their existing settings . . .

Press f2 (during the boot - be quick)
then type puppy pfix=ram
that means you are running in a pristine Puppy for testing . . .
You don't have to press f2 first. That just lets you see the list of options. If you already know the options you want, you can go ahead and type them right away.
Is it possible to modify all of the new releases so that on booting, they would give you the option NOT to update if they found an older version of Puppy installed.
If the update of older versions is a script or called by one, it just seems to me that it would be a relatively easy thing to modify the script with an if then else modification with a prompt that waited for an answer.
Yes, I think it should be pretty simple to have it let you abort the boot or maybe even enable pfix=ram mode. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

#78 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:
Is it possible to modify all of the new releases so that on booting, they would give you the option NOT to update if they found an older version of Puppy installed.
If the update of older versions is a script or called by one, it just seems to me that it would be a relatively easy thing to modify the script with an if then else modification with a prompt that waited for an answer.
Yes, I think it should be pretty simple to have it let you abort the boot or maybe even enable pfix=ram mode. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.
Thanks, PG. Saves me hunting through and finding it when I don't really know what I'm doing! :P

Is there a parameter in the config file that will give us a tad more than 5 seconds on the boot splash? Most have been complaining it goes by too quick! No, I haven't looked for myself yet. I'm wearing a splitting headache so it's easier to ask than to look. :oops:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

growler

alpha 1

#79 Post by growler »

Big boots to fill ... no problem!
GREAT job WhoDo and the guys!!

A few thoughts...

1. PPLOG doesn't work - not sure hiawatha/PPLOG belong in a desktop os anyway ... I had a play with the configs but couldn't get hiawatha going I thought it was to do with file permissions as hiawatha runs as nobody but couldn't nail it sorry. The error log says its a file permission error.
2. there are 3 console editors on the GUI menu? Wouldn't one always use geany or Abiword in the GUI?
3. The ftp server and personal didi-wiki - would get my vote to axe as well as hiawatha/PPLOG... in favour of more client side programs - say citrix or remote desktop client or vnc client.

The calculator rationalisation is great - like galculator. The themes and widgets really give a visual lift (go zigbert!!) - the splash screen on boot is also much more reassuring for many nice one PG.

This puppy is looking very polished and newby friendly.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#80 Post by Lobster »

The calculator rationalisation is great
Yes forgot to mention that. Sometimes you can have too much of a small thing (that is why they were included)

I would tend to use gnumeric anyways.
Another positive step is the icon bar on the top of the screen.

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Pizzasgood

#81 Post by Pizzasgood »

Inside the 0rootfs_skeleton-420/usr/lib/syslinux/files/ directory or so there should be a file named syslinux.cfg. Open it up and there will be a line timeout 50. It's measured in tenths of a second.

When Puppy is paused at that screen, you can press the enter key to skip waiting.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

HairyWill

#82 Post by HairyWill »

looks tasty, I'll buy it

NASTY bug:
If you use the xlock button on the top tray before setting an xlock password you will lock up X completely and need ctrl-alt-delete to recover. I suggest removing the xlock button from the tray.

Personally I would like to see the top-tray containing buttons for browser and filer, these are my most often used applications.

I can see a few tweaks need to be made to roxrightclicks. Remove fotox, gview add gpicview. I will do this later in the week.

The volume trayapp is an earlier revision than the one in 4.1.2. Ttuuxxx can you confirm that this works better for you?

Do we still need the old network wizard?

I have been poking at gpicview to see if I can get it to display a slideshow. It should be fairly easy if I hardcode the timing (at say 10 seconds / slide). Does anyone think this is worth while?

Zigberts add icon button on the left of the screen relies on there being copies/symlinks of all the possible applications in /root/my-applications/bin, these are not there. Personally I don't think that the function deserves several hundred pixels on the left edge of my screen. I like the idea, maybe it could be put into the desktop menu instead.

When clicking the 'add widget' button on the right side of the screen. The pwidget configurator opens with nothing in the right-hand pane. I would expect it to show the existing config.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

WhoDo

#83 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:Inside the 0rootfs_skeleton-420/usr/lib/syslinux/files/ directory or so there should be a file named syslinux.cfg. Open it up and there will be a line timeout 50. It's measured in tenths of a second.
Gotit! Boosted to 80 - an extra 3 secs to admire the bootie! :P Thanks PG.

WhoDo

#84 Post by WhoDo »

HairyWill wrote:NASTY bug:
If you use the xlock button on the top tray before setting an xlock password you will lock up X completely and need ctrl-alt-delete to recover. I suggest removing the xlock button from the tray.
Agreed. I didn't spend any time on the top tray. I'll take suggestions for what should be included such as ...
Personally I would like to see the top-tray containing buttons for browser and filer, these are my most often used applications.
In fact I would even listen to arguments to include the new, small wbar instead so that the launch bar feature is available in both window managers.
HairyWill wrote:I can see a few tweaks need to be made to roxrightclicks. Remove fotox, gview add gpicview. I will do this later in the week.
8)
HairyWill wrote:The volume trayapp is an earlier revision than the one in 4.1.2. Ttuuxxx can you confirm that this works better for you?
:?
HairyWill wrote:Do we still need the old network wizard?
Beats me. Until you mentioned it I hadn't even realised it was there. Why is it there anyway?
HairyWill wrote:I have been poking at gpicview to see if I can get it to display a slideshow. It should be fairly easy if I hardcode the timing (at say 10 seconds / slide). Does anyone think this is worth while?
Yep. Such a feature would be the end of any argument against gpicview as the included viewer/slideshow app.
HairyWill wrote:Zigberts add icon button on the left of the screen relies on there being copies/symlinks of all the possible applications in /root/my-applications/bin, these are not there. Personally I don't think that the function deserves several hundred pixels on the left edge of my screen. I like the idea, maybe it could be put into the desktop menu instead.
Hmmm... they're there in my 4.12 installation. Maybe I missed something during the build?
HairyWill wrote:When clicking the 'add widget' button on the right side of the screen. The pwidget configurator opens with nothing in the right-hand pane. I would expect it to show the existing config.
So would I. I'm surprised to know that's the case for you. I'm pretty sure its there on the test bed. I'll have another look.

Thanks for the great report, Will. Much appreciated, as are all your efforts for Puppy.

WhoDo

Re: alpha 1

#85 Post by WhoDo »

growler wrote:1. PPLOG doesn't work - not sure hiawatha/PPLOG belong in a desktop os anyway ... I had a play with the configs but couldn't get hiawatha going I thought it was to do with file permissions as hiawatha runs as nobody but couldn't nail it sorry. The error log says its a file permission error.
Yes. These are more like techie add-ons than standard inclusions for the average user and they do take up space that could be put to better use elsewhere.
growler wrote:2. there are 3 console editors on the GUI menu? Wouldn't one always use geany or Abiword in the GUI?
Yes. MP and e3 don't really need to appear in the menu at all. I guess they're there to boost the impression that Puppy has everything but the Out house sink! We could lose them for usability's sake, IMHO. What does everyone else think?
growler wrote:3. The ftp server and personal didi-wiki - would get my vote to axe as well as hiawatha/PPLOG... in favour of more client side programs - say citrix or remote desktop client or vnc client.
Yes! I had RDPclient in 2.15CE and I don't know what happened to it after that! That's definitely worth revisiting. VNC client is a bit esoteric for the standard edition.
growler wrote:The calculator rationalisation is great - like galculator. The themes and widgets really give a visual lift (go zigbert!!) - the splash screen on boot is also much more reassuring for many nice one PG.

This puppy is looking very polished and newby friendly.
It is a work in progress, but the progress so far is very pleasing. :wink: Thanks for your input and support.

J-Bob

Re: alpha 1

#86 Post by J-Bob »

WhoDo wrote:
growler wrote:The ftp server and personal didi-wiki - would get my vote to axe as well as hiawatha/PPLOG... in favour of more client side programs - say citrix or remote desktop client or vnc client.
Yes! I had RDPclient in 2.15CE and I don't know what happened to it after that! That's definitely worth revisiting. VNC client is a bit esoteric for the standard edition.
RDPclient was made by rarsa, and rarsa used tcl and gnocl for building it. But in Puppy 4, Barry decided to remove tcl, tk, and gnocl, i believe to save space
So if you want that in Puppy 4.2. Than bringing back tcl, tk, and gnocl would be a good idea.

- J-Bob

01micko

#87 Post by 01micko »

WhoDo

Do you remember that clock fix I made when Pwidgets was first released? Well forum member 'trio' has made a vast improvement to it. I petted up a new fixwidgets file in the thread.http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 891#266891
You might want to add it to your next release after some testing. It works nicely so far..

Mick
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ttuuxxx

#88 Post by ttuuxxx »

HairyWill wrote:
The volume trayapp is an earlier revision than the one in 4.1.2. Ttuuxxx can you confirm that this works better for you?

Well Hairy yes and no, Usually when I click on any volume tray app it does a disappearing trick, poof its gone off the taskbar. But this one when I call it up on icewm it stays and works like a mute button, its either full or off, as soon as your say 2mm off the bottom of tray its on full. all the way to the top. But hey I can live with it. maybe I'll put it back on the taskbar on IceWm
thanks Hairy :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

01micko

#89 Post by 01micko »

ttuuxxx wrote:HairyWill wrote:

Well Hairy yes and no, Usually when I click on any volume tray app it does a disappearing trick, poof its gone off the taskbar. But this one when I call it up on icewm it stays and works like a mute button, its either full or off, as soon as your say 2mm off the bottom of tray its on full. all the way to the top. But hey I can live with it. maybe I'll put it back on the taskbar on IceWm
ttuuxxx
kind of like a log pot instead of a linear pot?

01micko

#90 Post by 01micko »

sorry! doubledup and lost!
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 19 Jan 2009, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#91 Post by ttuuxxx »

01micko wrote:

ttuuxxx
Or like that Big power switch in Frankenstein movies. :idea:

01micko

#92 Post by 01micko »

ttuuxxx wrote:
01micko wrote:

ttuuxxx
Or like that Big power switch in Frankenstein movies. :idea:
Oooh, that bad!

capoverde

#93 Post by capoverde »

Just testing 4.2 alpha now. Download was very fast from puppyisos.org.

Cool splash screen, fast boot as (now) usual. My two cents here: wait 10 seconds or hit <Enter> for boot, any other key to stop countdown and show the Help screen.

Superb eye-candy overall! Please accept my compliments, all ye who worked it out. I like having the simple flat icons on the menu and the 3D ones on the desktop. The phantom drive icons getting "solid" when mounted are marvelous (let's hope noone has set a patent on that).

OK for Galculator + GMeasures only in the Calculators section; the "Add widget" and "Add icon" tabs seem to work OK - and were quite a pleasant surprise. The apostrophe key doesn't open the terminal if hit outside a directory window, otherwise works normally.

Not yet sure about the SeaMonkey vs. FirePup choice: the latter doesn't crash by hitting the <Insert> key when writing forms and has better control over Flash tabs & other time-wasters, but SM seems simpler to use - or maybe just got used to it.

GPicView seems to fill the bill nicely for a picture viewer, at last.
Will go on testing. As for what I've seen up to now, Puppy 4.2 alpha seems to be very promising, respecting BK's tradition in full -- at every new release one wondered how it could be better than that. Kudos to everyone in the team! Really great job.

* BTW, out of sheer curiosity two days ago I tested Milax, which is the OpenSolaris-version of DamnSmallLinux -- oh well, with due respect, it's become DamnSlowSolaris... and fully shows Puppy's power!

ttuuxxx

#94 Post by ttuuxxx »

Ok one thing that Bugsss me is that Pmount has Preferences for Mut and even Mut is included with 4.2, but Mut doesn't work, Last time I check in 3 series Mut was tcl/tk and we don't have tcl/tx in any of the 4.0 series, its not even in the 4 series repo, if you want tcl/tk you have to go to series 2&3 for the libs. So what I did was remove Mut from the Preferences and added some frames and a title, so its more pleasing to look at, I couldn't find the Pmount package in the 4 series repo at puppylinux.ca so basically this will replace you current Pmount with a non Mut version. what it looks like and updated Pmount is below.If anyone knows where the Pmount pet package is, I would like to repackage it? Well if WhoDo likes the idea ofcourse? I just find it silly and maybe frustrating for new users to try something that has no chance of working out of the box.
ttuuxxx
Attachments
pmount-noMut.pet
(6.54 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
newpmount.png
(24.87 KiB) Downloaded 1012 times
mut.png
(27.99 KiB) Downloaded 970 times

Kal

Tiny Blank Window

#95 Post by Kal »

Has anyone run into the tiny blank window over the home icon on the desktop of icewm, when started with "icewm-session". When in this state it crashed on Exit to Prompt. It was somewhat intermittent and I stopped it by starting with "icewm" and then loaded the startup file for icewm with .xinitrc. I don't plan on using JWM at all, because icewm is my preferred choice and gxine works better with it.

Except for that, most things that I used seem to work well, out of the box on icewm.

Good Luck, Kal, just an end user