Hosts for large files

News, happenings
NeroVance

#76 Post by NeroVance »

Personally one could potentially split files into parts, and then upload them if they can't find an appropriate site for their file and size.

For ISOs, just link to all parts, or a site with links to all parts. For packages, I'd say perhaps build a dotpet that would only serve to execute some commands to download packages linked to by a file on a web server.

But I digress. I do agree with above about Google Docs, but perhaps Wuala might do (From what I remember at least)

Saturn

Brainwave Repo 3.0

#77 Post by Saturn »

Hi,

Once again , I am offering some hosting .

I have a VPS from http://www.dreamhost.com , with a unlimited quota for storage and bandwidth transfers.

Please read this Forum Thread for more information:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... viewresult

if interested, please PM me for an account, or if you were to prefer, please provide a link to where I can attain your files.

Thanks!

disciple

unlimited storage for $125/year for life

#78 Post by disciple »

I guess you wouldn't be allowed to host other people's files, but if anyone would want unlimited storage for $125/year for life, check out Spideroak's offer for the next couple of days.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

peebee

Box - limits

#79 Post by peebee »

Have just learnt this about the Box service:

On 25/04/14 23:50, Takuto Kitamura wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delayed response.
>
> I have checked on the link that you have provided on your email and there is no problem with it. The reason why you can no longer download the shared files is because you have fully used up the assigned bandwidth on your account which is 10GB. Free accounts are given 10GB of bandwidth they can use per month. Once the limit has been reached download will not longer be available. Wait for your bandwidth assignment to get reset next month and you can go back to downloading the files.
>
> Sincerely,
> Box Support

Have replied it would be a good system enhancement if this explanation was given at the point of a failed download.....rather than leaving the user in confusion as to why a download has not occurred
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

april

#80 Post by april »

Looks like its a while since anyone posted here .
Found the New Zealand guy Kim Dotcom is it ? used to have MegaUploadnow has just Mega .
50 Gb limit free ,links and all .

Anyone using the site ?
Any problems ?
Only uploaded one file so far

https://mega.nz/

[quote] Mega: Internet outlaw Kim Dotcom released this service one year after the U.S. government shut down its predecessor, MegaUpload, for facilitating copyright infringement. The new tool promises “state of the art, browser-based encryption technology
Last edited by april on Tue 26 Jan 2016, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#81 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I'm not a MEGA user and I would honestly avoid it. The NZ government is a shareholder can could easily sneak bad code into the extensions.

april

#82 Post by april »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I'm not a MEGA user and I would honestly avoid it. The NZ government is a shareholder can could easily sneak bad code into the extensions.
Err not that I am aware of . Bit like "Farlap" bit jealous are we?.
The code is all made public - have a look on the site.

We do things differently out here and New Zealand does not colaborate with Yanks or Frenchies after their well known attacks on New Zealand soil. Hell they won't even let the Yanky Navy bring their nuclear ships into NZ waters.!

But then with a by-line like that what else could I expect.

TyroBGinner

#83 Post by TyroBGinner »

I would stay on April's good side.

She has an attitude, and she's armed.

If you don't believe me, look here.

Keisha

Does an anonymous file host exist anymore (June 2016)

#84 Post by Keisha »

I just tried uploading a 150 MB file to Dropbox, myfreefilehosting, OneDrive, and FileDropper, only to discover that none of these are anonymous anymore.

Does anyone know of a truly anonymous file hosting service still available today?
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

bark_bark_bark

Re: Does an anonymous file host exist anymore (June 2016)

#85 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Keisha wrote:I just tried uploading a 150 MB file to Dropbox, myfreefilehosting, OneDrive, and FileDropper, only to discover that none of these are anonymous anymore.

Does anyone know of a truly anonymous file hosting service still available today?
Sorry, but you'll need to look in the darkweb for that.

gcmartin

#86 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Keisha
[quote=You]Does anyone know of a truly anonymous file hosting service still available today?[/quote]This is not the answer I think you're looking for, but, it might be useful.

For some/many of todays cloud storage systems which it appears you have an ID, you can upload a file and make it accessible publicly. Providing people with the Public link does not expose your ID. Thus, this is a kind of anonymity that could be helpful to your mission.

Keisha

#87 Post by Keisha »

gcmartin wrote:...For some/many of todays cloud storage systems which it appears you have an ID, you can upload a file and make it accessible publicly...
But that is not true anonymity.

Big Brother encroaches relentlessly, it seems.

bbb can you suggest a "darkweb" host site? I have tor.
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#88 Post by Flash »

Introducing Firefox Send
Providing Free File Transfers while Keeping your Personal Information Private

8Geee

#89 Post by 8Geee »

I dunno Flash... I smell a salesman or two. I might point all other telemetry/shares/searches to good ol' 127.0.0.1.

JMHO
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

gyro

#90 Post by gyro »

I'm looking for a new home to store http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/firmware/.

It's about 606MiB at the moment.
It's not that the individual files are big, there's just a lot of them.
Also bandwidth is not a big issue, because folk normally only download a small part of the repository.

It needs to be on a Linux server, with me having access to be able to maintain symbolic links.

Any offers?
Any suggestions?

One of the problems with the current server, is that the repository contains many symbolic links, which are still present in my local clone of the git repository.
But when I upload the individual changed files, the symbolic links are not retained, a full copy of the changed file is uploaded for the actual file and a second for the changed symbolic link.
The result is that the repository on the server is growing a lot faster than it needs to.

I'm looking at this stuff now because I need to move my website to a different hosting service.

gyro

mavrothal

#91 Post by mavrothal »

gyro wrote:
Any suggestions?
A new repo in gitgub? woof-ce or else where? (binary files are Ok as long as they a re not huge)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

gyro

#92 Post by gyro »

mavrothal wrote:A new repo in gitgub? woof-ce or else where? (binary files are Ok as long as they a re not huge)
There's just one thing, my source is already a git repositoty, just not on github.
The idea was to make individual files more readily available.

But thanks for the suggestion, because it reminded me that when I started this process, I thought that the only way to get real files from a git repository, was to clone it.
I think I might investigate extracting individual blobs from a git repository, (I'm pretty sure you can extract individual source files).

gyro

dancytron

#93 Post by dancytron »

gyro wrote:
mavrothal wrote:A new repo in gitgub? woof-ce or else where? (binary files are Ok as long as they a re not huge)
There's just one thing, my source is already a git repositoty, just not on github.
The idea was to make individual files more readily available.

But thanks for the suggestion, because it reminded me that when I started this process, I thought that the only way to get real files from a git repository, was to clone it.
I think I might investigate extracting individual blobs from a git repository, (I'm pretty sure you can extract individual source files).

gyro
I think that most/all github repos let you have regular web access. Just as an example, this is Fred's Stretch Repo https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/amd64/Packages/

gyro

#94 Post by gyro »

Thanks for the input, but we can all go back to sleep.
I've found an alternate http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS/linux-firmware.
It does what I did, but it is updated more frequently.

gyro