no A4 printing

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

Can you print an A4 document correctly from another application, like Abiword?

konso

#17 Post by konso »

Can you print an A4 document correctly from another application, like Abiword?
Nope, exactly the same with Abiword. Page size in Abiword is set to A4, both in page properties and in the Print window.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

What happens if you actually load some A4 paper into Tray 1 - the multipurpose feeder?

When you bring up the printing dialog in Abiword, there is a Paper tab that lets you set the tray. Did you use this?

There have to be people in this world who use A4 paper on HP printers and get this to work!

differential

Similar Problems

#19 Post by differential »

I have been using Puppy 4.1.2 on a Compaq Armada M700 and using an HP 4 Plus printer for some time and have had problems getting the printer to stop asking for letter ie LOAD LETTER.

I found an atricle by Mr Toad entitled "At last - the solution for printing to A4 on my Laserjet III" which dealt with this problem and suggested among other things the following:

in a text editor open the file /usr/share/ghostscript/8.51/lib/gs-init.ps
and uncom8.51ment the line % /DEFAULTPAPERSIZE (a4) def - do this by removing /
the % symbol at the beginning *and* the space next to it. This is the
really important change!

It worked for me but does so no longer. All it does now is to stop printing completely. Very frustrating!

This may be of help. I would love a solution to this problem. It has caused me many wasted hours.

Russell

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

@differential: Mr. Toad's fix sounds the most reasonable. It suggests that ghostscript ignores the A4 setting information provided by the application and formats the print job as Letter size. Since the printer's default setting is A4, it prompts the operator to load some letter paper.

Unfortunately, the fact that this fix stopped working for you leaves it up in the air. Are there any other A4 users out there with old Laserjets that can confirm this?

differential

Ghostscript and Opera

#21 Post by differential »

I think 4.1.2 uses Ghostscript 815.02 at least when I type gs into the terminal, that's what i get. Not sure why Mr Toad suggested changing the default paper in GS 8.51 and thinking it was possibly a transposition, I experimented with changing the default to A4 in both /usr/share/ghostscript/8.51 and /usr/share/ghostscript/8.15 but in both cases Abiword and Geany would not print until the a4 default was commented out.

Interestingly, Opera seems to print ok. Have just installed it so not much experience but seems ok.

I'm out of my depth at this point and somewhat frustrated. I tried 4.2.1 but it could not find my internal software modem though 4.1.2 can. I have been with Puppy since 1.07 but at the moment Linux Mint is looking very attractive!