Moonlight plug-in for Firefox or IceCat aka. "silverlight"

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
willem1940NLD

#16 Post by willem1940NLD »

AF Branden wrote:Please let me know if you get moonlight working in firefox 5.0. I was trying to apply for a job but I can't even access the website because it utilizes silverlight.
:?: :?:

Normally, at clicking a video in such websites, it offers you to install Silverlight; accept and it will change in Moonlight offer, follow instructions.

Click any orange link marked "bekijk":
http://www.publiekeomroep.nl/

AF Branden

#17 Post by AF Branden »

I followed the step-by-step instructions but it gives me a message, "Novell Moonlight could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 5.0"

EDIT: I got it to install into Firefox 4.0, but it doesn't function.
Last edited by AF Branden on Tue 09 Aug 2011, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i56.tinypic.com/nwymax.png[/img]

John51

Moonlight with Firefox

#18 Post by John51 »

Is there a trick to get Moonlight to work with Firefox. I'm trying to use it to watch a live video stream at
http://www.kptv.com/category/210121/wat ... ected=true

The stream works in Windows but always crashes in Puppy.

Thanks

Icyos

Re: Moonlight with Firefox

#19 Post by Icyos »

John51 wrote:Is there a trick to get Moonlight to work with Firefox. I'm trying to use it to watch a live video stream at
http://www.kptv.com/category/210121/wat ... ected=true

The stream works in Windows but always crashes in Puppy.

Thanks
Hi i'm using my own rexbang build, with Google Chrome 13, installed moonlight and went to site you listed played back fine no issues after it installed its codecs. Ill make a video and post it on my site of how I did it for you.

John51

Moonlight in Puppy/Rexbang

#20 Post by John51 »

I think the problem may be that the codecs aren't downloading. I did get it to install in Linux Mint but there the video quality is poor compared to Windows on the site I referenced above. Note that site only runs with live video in the mornings and afternoons Pacific Time, other times its traffic cameras.

Icyos

Re: Moonlight in Puppy/Rexbang

#21 Post by Icyos »

John51 wrote:I think the problem may be that the codecs aren't downloading. I did get it to install in Linux Mint but there the video quality is poor compared to Windows on the site I referenced above. Note that site only runs with live video in the mornings and afternoons Pacific Time, other times its traffic cameras.
Hi all Moonlight installed again on Puppy 5.28 no issues and i have done you a video so you can see, and yes ive got traffic cameras lol but i am from England do forgive me. Video Link : MoonLight Guys n gals i also tested the other sites out including SkyNews HD, a Telescope site and RTL in Dutch and all worked just fine.

John51

Moonlight in Puppy/Rexbang

#22 Post by John51 »

I solved my problem with moonlight codecs not downloading by upgrading my video driver from the quickpet menu. Thanks to Icyos for the video proving it could be done. /John

Icyos

Re: Moonlight in Puppy/Rexbang

#23 Post by Icyos »

John51 wrote:I solved my problem with moonlight codecs not downloading by upgrading my video driver from the quickpet menu. Thanks to Icyos for the video proving it could be done. /John
Hi John I am so glad for you buddy and yes i must do a video telling users its the first thing they should do, welll done John enjoy your sites matey.

willem1940NLD

#24 Post by willem1940NLD »

Puppy 525 upgraded to 528 (I guess, not quite clear to me) and Firefox 6.0.

Attempt to install Moonlight for the umptieth time, message: not compatible with Firefox 6.0

Makoto

#25 Post by Makoto »

You can try 'convincing' Firefox to install extensions it believes aren't compatible with the Add-on Compatibility Reporter extension, or perhaps go into about:config and change extensions.checkCompatibility to 'false'. (You may also need to change extensions.checkUpdateSecurity as well...)

Edit: You may also have a number of entries with the version number at the end of extensions.checkCompatibility (like extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0, extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0a. If that's the case, set them all to 'false', too.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

willem1940NLD

#26 Post by willem1940NLD »

Makoto wrote:You can try 'convincing' Firefox to install extensions it believes aren't compatible with the Add-on Compatibility Reporter extension, or perhaps go into about:config and change extensions.checkCompatibility to 'false'. (You may also need to change extensions.checkUpdateSecurity as well...)

Edit: You may also have a number of entries with the version number at the end of extensions.checkCompatibility (like extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0, extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0a. If that's the case, set them all to 'false', too.
Thank you for your effort.

I did not find the items you mentioned; install attempts killed Firefox twice, first time with automatic re-install at reboot but all settings lost, second time beyond repair. Meanwhile no more Ff 6 in Petget but 7.0 instead, which reluctantly installed. Will not retry for the time being.

Makoto

#27 Post by Makoto »

If you're in the about:config editor, just type 'extensions.check' in the search bar at the top of the browser pane (below your tabs and the address bar), without the quotes. It should narrow the list down to the entries that begin with, or contain, that text.

Of course, you can also enter as much of any entry as you want ("extensions.checkUpdateSecurity" will bring up only that entry, for example.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

willem1940NLD

#28 Post by willem1940NLD »

Moonlight now installed in meanwhile updated Ff 7.01 and reads "disabled" and "not compatible".

Clicked everything I saw but did not see "about, config" etc..

Edit: found I must type about:condig in adress field. Saw all lines "extensions.check" already marked "false".

Read plenty about the problem on Web, only "maybe" solutions that might work for some.

http://support.mozilla.com/nl/questions/874753

http://support.mozilla.com/nl/questions/881829

Makoto

#29 Post by Makoto »

Did you try installing the Add-on Compatibility Reporter extension I linked to, above? Normally, it should re-enable all the extensions, even the ones Firefox believes are incompatible. Some people do claim it doesn't work properly for them, though.

willem1940NLD

#30 Post by willem1940NLD »

Both "reporter" and moonlight killed Firefox twice again and even Skype sfs (strangely) still not fully healed.

Off board now both 2, sick jokes I find them.

rokytnji

#31 Post by rokytnji »

Have any of you using Moonlight to test this new thing?
Running the web client button all I got was it loading (twirling circle) and when finished then just a grey screen (no image played) nooby. My about Plugins in Iceape which is just basically SeaMonkey 2.0.14. I Installed Moonlight via the Firefox Button at Moonlight site in Iceape.
I also got it to install in Sware Iron Browser 14 also using the Chrome install button. My browser version and about:plugins below.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110817 Debian/Iceape/2.0.14

Silverlight Plug-In

File name: libmoonloaderxpi.so
Worldwide Telescope Client Feature Comparison

Run the Web Client There are two different client applications that allow you to acces the features of WorldWide Telescope. The Windows Client runs on a Windows PC or thru the use of a Windows VM or Boot Camp on the Mac. The Web Client is a browser-based version of WorldWide Telescope for Windows PC and Intel Mac OS X user.

The Web Client version of WorldWide Telescope offers a subset of the features from the WorldWide Telescope Windows® Client. Details on the feature sets for each release are outlined below.
Seems Microsoft DRM'd it. :roll:

Makoto

#32 Post by Makoto »

willem1940NLD wrote:Both "reporter" and moonlight killed Firefox twice again and even Skype sfs (strangely) still not fully healed.

Off board now both 2, sick jokes I find them.
Hmm... are you sure your Firefox profile hasn't been corrupted, somehow? (Also, if you're running a frugal installation, have you checked your pupsave's integrity?)

You might try creating an additional user profile (for temporary testing purposes, and can be removed when you're done), switch to it, and then try installing the Reporter (and perhaps Moonlight as well), to see if the problem persists.

willem1940NLD

#33 Post by willem1940NLD »

Got stuff running again .... without moonlight and without reporter.

Firefox 7 re-installed from Petget News without uninstalling first and Skype (sfs) recovered by itself after 5 reboots. Firefox re-updated from Mozilla page to 7.0.1.

I prefer to leave "as is" till somebody presents a solution that does not require technical skill to install, I hope a new Firefox comes with (semi) incorporated Moonlight, compare with Adobe Flashplayer.

bones01

#34 Post by bones01 »

Just tried to install moonlight but struck out. Apparently it's not compatible with Firefox 9.01 :cry:

Oh well, it's not essential.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Makoto

#35 Post by Makoto »

You may be able to get around that by installing the Add-on Compatibility Reporter extension, as I mentioned in an earlier post. That extension forces all extensions to run, even if they're not listed as working with the version of Firefox you're using (internal versions; I don't think it'll make Windows/Mac-dependent extensions work on a Linux setup :oops: ).