Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Nov 2014, 12:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
What is the OPTIMUM HARD DRIVE SETUP for Puppy?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
aahhaaa

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov 2005, 23:14    Post subject:  What is the OPTIMUM HARD DRIVE SETUP for Puppy?  

I've just found another old 10 gig HD in my stuff... Very Happy
...but...
After reading a couple posts about NTFS & FAT32, I know less than I thought I did.

For a purely Puppy machine, what are the considerations between FAT32 and NTFS? (Seen some posts about problems reading NTFS, but usually related to dual boot.)

If NTFS is really the better choice, it has allocation options of 512, 1024, 2028, & 4056 for block size. Does Linux have a favored size?

On an HD this small, any real reason to partition the HD at all?
rarsa

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov 2005, 23:36    Post subject:  

For a pure Linux computer you must not use NTFS. It just does not make sense. NTFS support is read only. How good is a file system you can only read from?

And there is no real reason why to use FAT32.

Your best bet is using ext2 or ext3 (ext3 is the same as ext2 plus journaling which makes the file system more resilient) more info here

I am a simple man so I prefer to have the least number of partitions.
Of course the partition distribution depends 100% on your requirements, so here are two alternatives to use as a base:

If you don't have much ram (less than 128MB) Full HDD installation :
- A swap partition according to your RAM (the recommendation is twice as much as your ram)
- An ext2 partition 1GB for Puppy
- An ext3 partition on the remaining disk.

I would separate the OS installation from the data so if you corrupt the installation you can easily reinstall to that partition without worrying for the data.

In any event, I would still do all my testing using the liveCD and a pup001 file (yes, both can coexist)

This one can work even in computers with very low RAM (32 MB).

If you have enough RAM, a type 1 installation:
- A swap parition according to your Needs. After 256 MB, the more RAM the less need for swap. Of course this depends on the applications you want to run, although never more than the available RAM, if you need more you'd be well advised to get more RAM.
- An ext2 partition on the remaining of the disk where you will put a 1 GB pup001 file.

I would put all my data outside the pup001 file so I can interchange pup001 files without compromising the data. Again, If I corrupt the installation, I can just replace the pup001 file.

This last one would be my preferred one as it would be faster.
aahhaaa

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2005, 00:07    Post subject:  

thanks rarsa; I knew even less than I thought Embarassed

wasn't getting that ext2 & 3 are filesystems not partitions of an underlying filesystem; didn't think it thru...

for a really 'clean' machine, would you recommend running Puppy, using it to do the prep work, or something else first to wipe/pre-prep the drive?
jcagle

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2005, 00:15    Post subject:  

I acutally liked using ReiserFS in SuSE...don't know how well that works with Puppy yet. I know ReiserFS recovered faster from errors than ext2/ext3 did in my experiences with it.
Rhino

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2005, 00:43    Post subject:  

I have used qtparted in Knoppix to partition my laptop with a "dual boot" XP/Live CD Puppy system. I did have FC4 for a true dual boot, but Puppy is simply better so I reformatted over it Smile

I have 2 partitions, one formatted with NTFS and the other ext3 for Puppy.

Puppy will write the pup001 file to the ext3 drive...it may have to be flagged as bootable (I think). I use my USB key to save my personal files.
aahhaaa

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2005, 09:36    Post subject:  

Most HDs ship these days with a utility like Western Digital's Data Lifeguard, Maxtor's MaxBlast, or Seagate Zero- disc-based formatting/checkdiscing/ partitioning/cloning tools; but only for Gates OSs. (why is that?)

Isn't there a similar tool utility for Linux? Or are there just too many flavors of filesystems?
rarsa

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2005, 10:36    Post subject:  

aahhaaa wrote:
For a really 'clean' machine, would you recommend running Puppy, using it to do the prep work, or something else first to wipe/pre-prep the drive?
I was going to recommend a full zerowrite and HDD check with the tool provided by the HDD vendor.

aahhaaa wrote:
Most HDs ship these days with a utility like Western Digital's Data Lifeguard, Maxtor's MaxBlast, or Seagate Zero- disc-based formatting/checkdiscing/ partitioning/cloning tools; but only for Gates OSs. (why is that?)
Actually those disks does not require a particular OS. They are bootable floppies for the most part. (At least the ones I've used).
rarsa

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2005, 10:40    Post subject:  

jcagle wrote:
I acutally liked using ReiserFS in SuSE...don't know how well that works with Puppy yet. I know ReiserFS recovered faster from errors than ext2/ext3 did in my experiences with it.
ReiserFS is a newer file system so in many circumstances will be better than ext2/ext3.

I thought about all the different FS before responding to aahhaaa. My conclusion was that ext2/ext3 are almost universally supported by all Distros and third party utilities.
jcagle

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2005, 14:19    Post subject:  

Yeah, good reason to go with ext2/ext3 there.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sat 19 Nov 2005, 00:25    Post subject: my setup and why  

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=24075#24075
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: