Puppy 4.2 Alpha2-Firepup Bugs & Fixes

davec51

Making Clock Readable

#61 Post by davec51 »

Puppy 4.2A2 is great, but I'm having a problem with the clock in the system tray at the bottom right. The background is black and the numbers are green, and I can't read them. Is there a way of changing the font to white or the background to white? The analog clock on the desktop is fine, but when I have Firepup fired up full screen, I need the tray clock.

ttuuxxx

Re: Making Clock Readable

#62 Post by ttuuxxx »

davec51 wrote:Puppy 4.2A2 is great, but I'm having a problem with the clock in the system tray at the bottom right. The background is black and the numbers are green, and I can't read them. Is there a way of changing the font to white or the background to white? The analog clock on the desktop is fine, but when I have Firepup fired up full screen, I need the tray clock.
dave it sounds like your using icewm version
install my icewm pet, it will overwrite the one included and give you new themes, plus it changes the ugly green clock by default, to the new clock I made up:)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=14514
its like 800kb in size but should work straight out of the box.
maybe do the fixmenus thing then reset icewm and you should be good to go :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

tom4jesus

#63 Post by tom4jesus »

Feed back

First, NOT bug reports but good things;
A couple subtle changes that I noticed right away that are really nice and make this version more user friendly.

1. I had the OO3 sfs in my home directory for my 4.1.2 install and once I saved my pupsav file for 4.2alpha2 and rebooted the Boot Manager automatically popped up when 4.2 started and asked me if I wanted to add it to the boot up, very nice.

2. I noticed the unmounted drives on the desktop are faded out and the mounted ones are in full color, another nice touch making it easier to see what it mounted.

I know you are still ironing out a few bugs in the themes and icons but it is really looking nice so far. I like how it looks very "integrated" with the matching colors etc... making it look like a slick OS. :wink:

I am trying to keep up on what has already been reported and not post bugs twice but sorry if these have already been I had not seen them yet;

Bugs

1. The drop down menu does not drop down after I switched to iceWM.

2. The icon to edit the drop down menu, when it is there under JWM, does not appear to work and no dialog appeared to edit the menu when I clicked it.

Great work everyone!,
tom
[u]Netbook[/u]; Compaq cq10 with Quirky008,Ubuntu 9.10,W7 :oops:

ttuuxxx

#64 Post by ttuuxxx »

Ok guys I'm putting off the other stuff because I have more pressing issues.
Cups&GutenPrint
The latest gutenprint I compiled up isn't set for the latest cups I compiled, Plus I guess the latest cups works fine installed with older gutenprint for about 2 times and then for some odd reason, the permissions changes on it, same with user 'Patriot' version, I've been talking with him and he's looking into it, does anyone have any Ideas why it would change on its own?? here's a link to the thread to read up on the issue.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38095

Next to get the Gutenprint updated version I made to work with the latest version of cups i would have to update Barry's scripts, because his scripts were made for Gutenprint 5.0 and this version is 5.2, that would be easy to change:) they all call for 5.0

SeaMonkey 1.1.14
Ok the Seamonkey Package I made up, works:) Buttttttttttt <---- Long but, lol
I started thinking about system defaults, so I started testing them, plus I didn't included hardly enough of them since I never had to before with the FireFox versions I've released in the past, But Seamonkey is whole different kettle of fish. Anyways lets get to the point.
out of the box, it was missing most of the default, fair enough, Then I tried them an ohhhh no Bareview, bareviewshell, gtkmoz, gtkmozshell, mozaddressbook, weren't working, then I added a system link to seamonkey1.1.14 to seamonkey and they worked:) but only command line :cry: didn't these work before by clicking on them? when you test the /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.14/TestGtkEmbed it opens straight up by click on it. So then I tried it with cups and removed the defaultbrowser i put in earlier so that cups would work in FirePup, and it was a no go.
I actually like cups being displayed in a browser where it has a back button and you don't have to start all over again:) This leads me to think what are our options??
I could remove the gtkmoz,bareview,testgtkembeded 19kbx3=57kb in bin files which really don't compress much.
It could also be that I might of compiled so much stuff that things are broken on my puppy, I'll reboot tomorrow and get rid of the 4 gigs worth of compiling stuff and try it again.
ohh ya one thing that won't work is mozaddressbook because thats part of the mail which isn't included but that could be linked to osmo.
ttuuxxx

techtype

#65 Post by techtype »

Check the way this pet was done--- guten-5.2.0_beta3.pet-- it works.

HairyWill

Re: Puppy 4.2 Alpha2-Firepup Bugs & Fixes

#66 Post by HairyWill »

WhoDo wrote:2. Unless I've patched the JWM theme switcher incorrectly, Hairywill's fix for the disappearing taskbar when changing themes needs work..
It looks to me like you haven't actually applied the fix
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 260#267260
Sigmund gave a fix earlier,
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 572#264572
but my fix is compatible with other puppy versions.
WhoDo wrote:3. Pwidgets are still rough around the edges - the clock fix is kludgy and the updated func script supplied brought down the Pwidgets manager so I rolled it back out.
I agree, I'm not very happy with having my mouse pointer bounced around the screen every time pwidgets starts. This is particularly a problem if the wallpaper app is used to drive a desktop background slideshow because it calls fixwidgets everytime the desktop is updated. Ether the wallpaper app or fixwidgets need to give way or xonclock needs fixing or dropping.

It looks like you have not included ptray, just the top tray definition instead. This is responsible for the non-functioning left button that launches the tray editor and is also the cause of the button images missing from the tray.

The updated gpicview supplied by ttuuxx has an error in the .desktop file the icon image name needs a .png added.

It looks like you have installed the latest roxrightclicks over previous versions, this doesn't work well. I should have documented it. You should probably delete gview, fotox, seamonkey* from /usr/local/apps and then rerun roxrightclicks.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

davec51

Icewm Solved

#67 Post by davec51 »

I installed ttuuxxx's icewm .pet and not only can read the system tray clock but also have a nice sticky, my sfs file monitor is back, and other goodies. Thanks, ttuuxxx.

WhoDo

#68 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:
but i've compared the alpha2 with other puppy-isos. the difference is, that the boot.cat is missing in the alpha2. might this be the problem (i don't know what boot.cat is...).
Yeah, it should have a boot.cat. There should also be an isolinux.bin in there. Both of those need to be in the isolinux-builds/ directory of unleashed. If they're missing for some reason, copy them in from a Puppy 4.1.2 .iso.
Aha! That's why my iso's weren't bootable. Thanks, PG. I learn something new about Puppy every day. 8)
Pizzasgood wrote:Thirdly, there should be an isolinux.cfg, not syslinux.cfg.

isolinux.cfg for the CD
syslinux.cfg for the USB on vfat partitions
extlinux.conf for the USB on ext2 partitions

These all start from the 0rootfs-skeleton/usr/lib/syslinux/files/syslinux.cfg file. The install script or creatpuppy script will copy the file and then automatically rename it to whatever it needs to be.
There doesn't appear to be any option on building for the file to be "renamed" - your createpuppy script always creates the isolinux.cfg file. I renamed it manually when testing on my USB test bed and forgot to name it back before manually creating the iso. Why manually create the iso? Because createpuppy didn't create one with anything in it - nothing. It just created an empty iso shell of 34kb.

I'll add these files back to /isolinux-builds and see if the script now builds a complete iso again.

Thanks for the advice and assistance, PG.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#69 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Whats left to do
...[snip]...
Ps if WhoDo implements the new packages I posted on page 1 plus does a few minor tweaks, It should be very nice and usable, When I'm finished the last 2 on this list, I'll start on WhoDo's wish list.
Thanks, ttuuxxx. I've captured your summary for digestion and inclusion off-line. I've also downloaded all the fixes/patches in your p1 post. Much appreciated, mate. 8)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

Re: alpha 2 testing

#70 Post by WhoDo »

recycler wrote:Looking forward to seeing how this develops
Thanks for the report, Leon. All of your points have been noted for the next release. 8)

WhoDo

Re: Live-CD not recognised as bootable

#71 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Hey WhoDo will the next release be Seamonkey or FirePup? If its SeaMonkey, make sure its set as defaullt browser, I'll check after but I don't recall if I made it so in the package.
@Jeff - Alpha3 will be Seamonkey-1.1.14, complete with Mail/News (pretty please? :P ), Seafox theme, monkeymenus and CuteMenus (pretty, pretty please? :P :P ), and the build script should ensure it appears in the defaultbrowser file. Alpha2 picked up netsurf because it didn't recognise Firepup/Firefox was even there for some reason.

@David - I appreciate that your time is just as valuable to you as mine is to me, but please remember that I also have a life outside of Puppy and it happened to explode on me just around the time of Alpha2's release! My daughter-in-law has presented us with our first grandchild - a healthy girl of 4.3kg (? 9lb13oz) and 53cm (22in?) - so other things have been seriously distracting me from the task. Marsae (pronounced Mar-say like the city) was also 13 days overdue - a fashionably late young lady - so there were some concerns.

If you believe that I wasted your time with the Alpha2 release I'm sorry, but please consider that I had more pressing issues to address and kindly cut me some slack. :roll:

WhoDo

Re: Alpha2 boot fix should be Alpha3

#72 Post by WhoDo »

dogone wrote:Just a thought. Alphas should be "as needed". I suggest that ANY change to Whodo's alpha2 .iso be released as alpha3 ("alpha 2a" if that's more comforting). There's no shame in spinnng another alpha and doing so may prevent confusion.
Precisely. I had only intended to upload a repaired alpha2 if I could do it within 24hrs to save others downloading a flawed package. For reasons outlined in my previous post that wasn't possible. Fixes will be in Alpha3.

Cheers.

WhoDo

#73 Post by WhoDo »

HairyWill wrote:
WhoDo wrote:2. Unless I've patched the JWM theme switcher incorrectly, Hairywill's fix for the disappearing taskbar when changing themes needs work..
It looks to me like you haven't actually applied the fix
Quite possible, Will. I've made my first pre-alpha rebuild for Alpha3 and it now works, so whatever I didn't do last time has been done this time.
HairyWill wrote:
WhoDo wrote:3. Pwidgets are still rough around the edges - the clock fix is kludgy and the updated func script supplied brought down the Pwidgets manager so I rolled it back out.
I agree, I'm not very happy with having my mouse pointer bounced around the screen every time pwidgets starts. This is particularly a problem if the wallpaper app is used to drive a desktop background slideshow because it calls fixwidgets everytime the desktop is updated. Ether the wallpaper app or fixwidgets need to give way or xonclock needs fixing or dropping.
Preferably fixing. The new Pwidgets are central to the whole look-and-feel Puppy-4.2 Deepthought experience IMHO.
HairyWill wrote:It looks like you have not included ptray, just the top tray definition instead. This is responsible for the non-functioning left button that launches the tray editor and is also the cause of the button images missing from the tray.
Yep. I left a lot of things hanging while trying to find out why the xdg menus were turning up blank. All of that appears sorted now and Alpha3 should have everything back where it belongs. I'd still like you to have a look at the ptray approach to see if you can do it better. I noted your earlier reservations about that script.
HairyWill wrote:The updated gpicview supplied by ttuuxx has an error in the .desktop file the icon image name needs a .png added.

It looks like you have installed the latest roxrightclicks over previous versions, this doesn't work well. I should have documented it. You should probably delete gview, fotox, seamonkey* from /usr/local/apps and then rerun roxrightclicks.
Noted. I will attack these for Alpha3. Thanks Will. Your help is very much appreciated. 8)

01micko

#74 Post by 01micko »

HairyWill wrote:I agree, I'm not very happy with having my mouse pointer bounced around the screen every time pwidgets starts. This is particularly a problem if the wallpaper app is used to drive a desktop background slideshow because it calls fixwidgets everytime the desktop is updated. Ether the wallpaper app or fixwidgets need to give way or xonclock needs fixing or dropping.
I'm responsible for the cursor bounce. It can just be removed from /usr/sbin/fixwidgets.
MU has suggested using 'xmovewindowbyclassname' to show xonclock. It certainly has potential, ie, it works but needs bugs ironed out.
I've done plenty of searching and there just is not an alternative small enough to xonclock.
In zigberts absence we need the help of an experienced coder to sort out the issues using the 'xmovewindowbyclassname' clockfix.
Well I suppose zigbert will be back today or tomorrow, we can leave it to him, that's if he's not too busy.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ecomoney

Observations

#75 Post by ecomoney »

Hi there, Ive been trialling alpha2 all day, Ive found the following faults so far

/usr/bin/defaultmediaplayer calls "gxineshell", rather than "gxine", this means that the menu entry for the mediaplayer calls gxine and opens it correctly, but the desktop shortcut fails to work.

/usr/bin/defaultchat calls "pidgin", rather than "attym", I dont know what it should be calling but whatever it is it doesnt work.

The flashplayer is still at an extremely old version, it wont play vimeo, bbc and facebook videos, and probably video from a great many other sites. I have read that flashplayer 10 was going to be incorporated into 4.2.

Ive been testing version 10 on 4.2 alpha (its in the usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory. Although being about 2mb bigger, it does seem to be a lot faster and smoother. I have tested it with facebook, youtube and the cbeebies website, and they all work fine. Its likely that a lot more sites will require later versions of flash in the future. If were going to future proof DeepThought, the latest version of flash needs to be included, especially if it is faster and more stable.

Would be good if the reason for a not working full-screen in youtube was found. Flash ten seems to actually open the first image of the video in full screen, but it crashes after that.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

01micko

#76 Post by 01micko »

Ok HairyWill, I want you to test this.
It is basically the new clock fix by forum member 'trio', it is dependant upon 'xmovewindowbyclassname' written in C by MU. I tested in JWM and Icewm, hacked it a little and it seems to work fine.
The clock does appear in left of screen for a few seconds, but then finds it's correct position. So yes, a small bug. BUT, no 'xevent' clicking and bouncing and banging of the cursor!

To install,
Download the two files.
Extract and replace your 'usr/local/pwidgets/func' file
WARNING: Back up your original 'func' file.
Extract 'xmovewindowbyclassname' and run make, make install.
If you are running JWM put these lines in 'jwmrc-personal'

Code: Select all

<Group>
<Class>xonclock</Class>
<Name>xonclock</Name>
<Option>noborder</Option>
<Option>notitle</Option>
<Option>layer:1</Option>
<Option>sticky</Option>
<Option>nolist</Option>
</Group> 
just before </JWM>
If running Icewm put this at the end of 'winoptions'

#xonclock
xonclock.ignoreTaskBar: 1
xonclock.allWorkspaces: 1
xonclock.dTitleBar: 0
xonclock.dBorder: 0
xonclock.dSysMenu: 0
xonclock.dResize: 0
xonclock.dClose: 0
xonclock.dMinimize: 0
xonclock.dMaximize: 0
xonclock.ignoreNoFocusHint: 1
xonclock.layer: Normal 
Backup '/usr/sbin/fixwidgets' then comment out or delete everything under line 9 so it looks something like this.

#!/bin/sh
for I in `ps -eo pid,command | grep -w --extended-regexp "conky|xonclock|xli|http://rss.accuweather.com" | awk '{print $1}'`; do kill -9 $I; done

TMP="`cat /root/.config/wallpaper/bg_img`"
cp "$TMP" /root/Choices/ROX-background.jpg
xli -fillscreen -onroot /root/Choices/ROX-background.jpg

#sleep 2
/root/.pwidgets/pwidgets-exec
Restart Pwidgets and choose clock and tell me if it works.

EDIT: For some strange reason permissions changed during some process of the func file. I suspect during zipping. I used 'gzip' in terminal. Ah well, you just have to type 'chmod 755 func' in a terminal. :roll:

NB: zigbert obviously in his absence has not approved this but he does know we were working on a better clock fix and I'm sure he wont mind too much, his last comment on Pwidgets thread was "Enjoy coding."
Attachments
xmovewindowbyclassname.tar.gz
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 707 times
func.gz
(2.31 KiB) Downloaded 709 times
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 01 Feb 2009, 02:41, edited 3 times in total.

ttuuxxx

Re: Observations

#77 Post by ttuuxxx »

ecomoney wrote: Would be good if the reason for a not working full-screen in youtube was found. Flash ten seems to actually open the first image of the video in full screen, but it crashes after that.
The New Seamonkey,Firefox,Icecat packages I compiled, all 3 of them Youtube fullscreen works with the older flash. I think the fullscreen issue had to do with how the browser was compiled.
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

Re: Icewm Solved

#78 Post by ttuuxxx »

davec51 wrote:I installed ttuuxxx's icewm .pet and not only can read the system tray clock but also have a nice sticky, my sfs file monitor is back, and other goodies. Thanks, ttuuxxx.
Hey WhoDo it sounds like my new icewm package is a hit :wink:

ttuuxxx

#79 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:Hey WhoDo will the next release be Seamonkey or FirePup? If its SeaMonkey, make sure its set as defaullt browser, I'll check after but I don't recall if I made it so in the package.
@Jeff - Alpha3 will be Seamonkey-1.1.14, complete with Mail/News (pretty please? :P ), Seafox theme, monkeymenus and CuteMenus (pretty, pretty please? :P :P ), and the build script should ensure it appears in the defaultbrowser file. Alpha2 picked up netsurf because it didn't recognise Firepup/Firefox was even there for some reason.
Do we have an extra 2-2.5MB compressed to waste? If so I'll do it, it will take hoursssss.
ttuuxxx

pa_mcclamrock

#80 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:@David - I appreciate that your time is just as valuable to you as mine is to me, but please remember that I also have a life outside of Puppy and it happened to explode on me just around the time of Alpha2's release! My daughter-in-law has presented us with our first grandchild - a healthy girl of 4.3kg (? 9lb13oz) and 53cm (22in?) - so other things have been seriously distracting me from the task. Marsae (pronounced Mar-say like the city) was also 13 days overdue - a fashionably late young lady - so there were some concerns.
Best wishes to baby, mom (oops, that should be "mum," right?), dad, and grandparents! Take your time--if I recall correctly, Tcl and Tk 8.5 were years behind schedule, but they were worth waiting for. No doubt Puppy 4.2 will be too--worth waiting for, I mean, not years behind schedule!
If you believe that I wasted your time with the Alpha2 release I'm sorry, but please consider that I had more pressing issues to address and kindly cut me some slack. :roll:
Hey, you didn't see me complaining when Alpha2 didn't really appear on Australia Day, did you? :) Actually, only a few minutes of my time were wasted on downloading, burning, and finding out it wouldn't boot. I've wasted a lot more time than that, even today alone, on things like figuring out ill-documented features of Gnocl geometry management (very different from Tk geometry management) by trial and error.

What I meant was I didn't have time to try to devise solutions to the no-boot problem. I hope you will, sooner or not quite so soon. I really would like to be able to boot an Alpha 2 CD, and I'm sure a lot of other people would too.

David McClamrock
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds