Files deleted if not enough room to write back changes

Please post any bugs you have found
kwhitefoot

#1 Post by kwhitefoot »

I was until, last night, a keen Puppy user. Now I'm not so sure.

I have a 256MB USB stick that had (notice past tense) a nicely working Puppy 1.0.5 with wireless that worked beautifully on my IBM T42p laptop.

Unfortunately I decided to download a few large files and then shutdown Puppy. There was no problem downloading the files, ram disk had space. However when I told Puppy to power off it gave me a lot of messages saying not enough space. I just thought, damn I'll have to download again.

When I rebooted X wouldnt work. Puppy boots, tries X and drops back to the prompt. It seems that the large files I downloaded (BOINC for the curious) had been written to the USB but some files that were already there were deleted.

Did I do something wrong? Even if I did, this behaviour is bad because it gave me no opportunity to clean up.

I think I must have misunderstood how Puppy works, I thought it only wrote the changed files back to the USB stick, in fact it behaves as though it creates a new copy and that failed because there wasn't enough space.

If it had only copied changes back the problem shouldn't have arisen because only the new large files would have failed to be copied.

Sorry for the rant. Feeling a bit down.

I don't think I lost many of my own files but now I'll have to boot from CD, copy my files to some other medium and reinstall the USB, then copy them back again.

Or, is it possible to do an in place upgrade of a USB stick to the latest Puppy without losing my private files.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

There is probably room for improvement at shutdown, when files are getting saved back to usb.
You need to be very aware that there isn't much storage space, whatever the size of the pup100 file.
I don't know why files got deleted though.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

My Puppy 106 multisession DVD exhibited strange and unexpected behavior when I tried to shut it down after downloading and installing the OpenOffice pupget, but no files were lost and the ending was a happy one - no credit to me, more a combination of desperation and good luck. :) If that's the worst that happens, I'll be a very happy camper. :lol:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Yes, the DVD is a much better situation, as you are not limited to the small pup100 file as in the usb boot media.
Also with DVD, nothing is ever lost, as everything is always recorded in past sessions.

kwhitefoot

#5 Post by kwhitefoot »

I agree the DVD would be a good idea. I haven't tried a DVD yet because I simply haven't got any. I have tried a CD though (on 1.0.1, 1.0.5 and 1.0.6) and although Puppy seems to succesfully write the disk it isn't bootable afterwards.

DVD would be ideal for the computer I use at work IBM T42p but my own IBM a21p only has a CD writer so I'd love to be able to get both working

user-786

#6 Post by user-786 »

Hi!

The following solution may not be the perfect one, but it has served me well over the last few months. Just remember that I am a new Puppy user, and did not even know Linux even 2 months ago. This puppy not only a good OS, but it is also a very good teacher if one remains a little patient with it and not get afraid of experiments.

So, here it goes, again remember that this is only for those who have sufficient ram like in this particular case.

I always run Puppy from a CD as ms_liveCD runing in ramdisk.

When I download a large file, I do not save it to my working CD, instead, I create an ISO, and burn it to another multisession CD I have dedicated only for such files.

I just reboot with original CD in Rom, and not save any session. After I reboot, and Xwin starts, I remove my original CD, Mount my "Files' CD" and do what I want with it, either install or play, what ever the case may be. After the install, I save sesson, of course, but not if I only use the CD to play a movie or read a huge pdf file or something.

Morals of the story.
1: Puppy is not yet "PERFECT"
2: Do not "MESS" with a good, working CD
3: Keep large files on some other CD to use in concert with ms-liveCD
4: Keep learning and keep on learning. It is "GOOOOD" feeling.
5: Make a copy of your "GOOD" CD and use it if you ever mess up. Believe me, you Will "MESS UP" unless you know Linux as you know the back of your hand.