Puppy 4.2 Alpha3 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes

WhoDo

#1 Post by WhoDo »

I have just uploaded the third and final alpha for Puppy 4.2 Deepthought, this time with Seamonkey and Claws mail. I am very happy with its progress, but there are still bugs to be chased and the remaining bugs are the most recalcitrant ones.

Known issues:

1. JWM theme switcher - Hairywill's fix for the disappearing taskbar when changing themes now works BUT attempting to synchronise JWM with the Gtk theme blanks the taskbar.
3. Pwidgets are still rough around the edges - the new clock fix and the updated func script don't appear to be working properly. You have to click on the clock to get it to appear. I may have implemented trio's fix incorrectly - please check.
4. I have included the latest CUPS but it produces a 404 error when attempting to load the manager on my test machine.
5. The desktop icon themes are still a hotch-potch of mis-named icons, some of which swap out and some of which don't. I've reduced the offering to only 2 themes - Deepthought and Stardust - until we can get someone to sync the icon names properly. I haven't had time.
6. Pweather font encroaches on weather text in night-time characters. Sigmund announced that as fixed in his thread but I haven't seen the fix uploaded as yet.
7. grub-gfxboot is installed but not configured. I'd be interested to hear whether it works or not when run from the grub install script on the menu.
8. The slideshow version of gpicview now works as Hairywill designed it to do and it is so small it will never be replaced! :P
9. Flash chess was also dropped completely, despite a magnificent reduction in size by ttuuxxx. It turned out to be proprietary. It has been replaced with ACE-solitaire also courtesy of ttuuxxx.

On the positive side, I have rolled xdg 0.7.6-5 back in without any apparent ill-effects.New applications include PETget (420), Pmusic (0.5.3), Pfilesearch (1.11), Pfind (4.6), Pmetatagger (2.1), Puppybasic (2.6), Pwidgets (0.4), Pwireless (0.8.4), Roxrightclicks (0.8.2), Xpad (2.14), Seamonkey (1.1.14 no mail/news), Claws mail Xarchiver-0.5.2, grub-gfxboot-0.9.7, MU's patched Gxine-0.5.903, newman-1.0 (man pages viewer) and some interesting game choices (Seahaven, TkHearts, TkYahtzee, Xfreecell, Jester, Xcheckers and Xsoldier-1.4) Xarchiver has been stabilised in testing so now is the time to see if we can break it. Xarchive is in because I didn't have time to alter all of the dependent scripts. I think ttuuxxx has done that so the mods will be in the next release and Xarchive will be out.

Coolpup has also submitted an updated version of ntfs-3g that is included but it reports a missing dependency - please test heavily on a SPARE Windows installation or risk damage.

Mirrors:
1. http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/4.2-alpha3/ (user=puppy pwd=linux)
2. http://www.pkagfiles.net/puppy-test/
3. http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/test/

If the mirrors don't show the Alpha3 it's probably because the admins haven't had time to move the files to the download area ... try again later.

This release is just under 100Mb, so there is still some paring down to be done, too. As before, if you don't see this boot screen on first boot then you've got the wrong download! :P

Enjoy!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Caneri

#2 Post by Caneri »

[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Tom Raft

#3 Post by Tom Raft »

I downloaded the alpha3 two times. After install it seems it is alpha 2. Browser is firepup not seamonkey.

Caneri

#4 Post by Caneri »

solved with Tom Raft's problem..it was just a mistake.
Eric
Last edited by Caneri on Mon 02 Feb 2009, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Tom Raft

#5 Post by Tom Raft »

To be correct.
I downloaded the iso from http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/4.2-alpha3/ (user=puppy pwd=linux)

01micko

Re: Puppy 4.2 Alpha3 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes

#6 Post by 01micko »

WhoDo wrote:I have just uploaded the third and final alpha for Puppy 4.2 Deepthought, this time with Seamonkey and Claws mail. I am very happy with its progress, but there are still bugs to be chased and the remaining bugs are the most recalcitrant ones.

Known issues:
3. Pwidgets are still rough around the edges - the new clock fix and the updated func script don't appear to be working properly. You have to click on the clock to get it to appear. I may have implemented trio's fix incorrectly - please check.
6. Pweather font encroaches on weather text in night-time characters. Sigmund announced that as fixed in his thread but I haven't seen the fix uploaded as yet.

Enjoy!
Yeah, Sigmund I believe is working on the next Pwidgets release, He seems quite happy with our efforts.

Cheers

(downloading now :) )
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

HairyWill

Re: Puppy 4.2 Alpha3 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes

#7 Post by HairyWill »

Tom Raft wrote:To be correct.
I downloaded the iso from http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/4.2-alpha3/ (user=puppy pwd=linux)
I got the right version from there about 90 minutes ago
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

Tom Raft

#8 Post by Tom Raft »

After third download all seems fine. Probably my mistake with frugal install. Sorry for the inconvenience and wasting your time.

Tom

Caneri

#9 Post by Caneri »

Not to worry Tom Raft,

It was just a mistake...although I have never made a mistake, I don't know how that works...yea right...welcome, to a German speaker.

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

I am very happy with its progress
Everyone involved should be proud. It is really rather good. :)
Just to remind everyone with an Alpha - press f2 during boot from CD and type puppy pfix=ram so as not to interfere with any settings from other stable versions . . .

Enclosed is my first screen - only have one hard disk so not sure of all those?

- I am glad the 1MB chess flash was dropped - too big - yes it was good.
Maybe we can find a free to use alternative flash game?
- Pwidgets - fantastic - needs tweaks but very nice work
- Monkeymenu (click on the icon after home in Seamonkey) is excellent and to remind Warren - We have an online default webpage that can be added as a default for the beta (you do not have to be online to see it) that is from technosaurus
- Why xchat and not the complete yahoo and msn and irc etc that we have in 4.1.2? Xchat is good but there are Seamonkey add ons that will do irc and are smaller . . . I believe?
- can confirm (see later posts) JWM to IceWM worked correctly without exiting to the prompt. I was able to tweak away. Many people love that it is the first thing they do with an operating system - claim the territory/deskspace

Wiki updated - more formatting etc welcome
http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/archives ... ep-thought
:)
Attachments
l1.jpg
(20.96 KiB) Downloaded 6704 times
Last edited by Lobster on Tue 03 Feb 2009, 08:05, edited 2 times in total.

Ray MK

#11 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Got the same 1st screen as Lobster - but when I saved session and rebooted all seemed OK.

Had to tap once to get clock to display - BUT

Everything seems slicker - especially seamonkey
And composer is so much better as a welcome page or jump off page, plus its very handy for saving browser bookmarks to and very convenient for easy html page editing.

All this on my 5yr old laptop with only 93mb ram and a 1ghz celeron proc. frugal install. Nice.

Again many thanks to all concerned for doing what you do - this is going to be a fantastic CE when finished.

Very best regards to all - Ray

kirk

#12 Post by kirk »

I've been out of the loop for a while. Is 4.2 using the same kernel as 4.1.2 (2.6.25.16)? Xorg 7.3? Any other base package changes? Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked many times.

Also make sure that ntfs-3g package was compiled in puppy, using the same version of FUSE.

Thanks!

pa_mcclamrock

#13 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

A few first impressions--haven't had much time to see what it can do yet. First the good news:

The CD did boot, and Internet setup (DSL + router) went quickly and well, as expected.

The switch from JWM to IceWM worked correctly without exiting to the prompt and entering "xwin icewm-session," unlike in former versions.

SeaMonkey's looks are much improved, looks more like Firefox, not Netscape Navigator 3. I might even use it! (Actually, I'm using it right now to post this message.)

You left out the calendar from Claws Mail--but that's good, because the calendar appeared to be pretty useless and very poorly displayed when I briefly tried Claws on Puppy 4.1.1.

Now the bad news:

Many icons for nonexistent drives appear on the desktop. Nonexistent drive sda7 is shown as mounted. I clicked it and got this error message: Arguments (drive ext2) given for non-executable item /root/.pup_event/drive_sda7. I clicked sda6, which does exist, and got Pmount instead of immediately mounting the drive and showing its contents. Drive sdb1 is shown as auto-mounted; I don't even have sdb1 inserted!

Tk gives an error message--very strange, since rarsa's Tk 8.5.6 .PET didn't give me the same message on Puppy 4.1.1:

Code: Select all

# tclsh
% package require Tk
Can't find a usable tk.tcl in the following directories: 
    /usr/lib/tcl8.5/tk8.5 /usr/lib/tk8.5 /lib/tk8.5 /usr/library

/usr/lib/tk8.5/tk.tcl: couldn't read file "/usr/lib/tk8.5/ttk/ttk.tcl": no such file or directory
couldn't read file "/usr/lib/tk8.5/ttk/ttk.tcl": no such file or directory
    while executing
"source /usr/lib/tk8.5/ttk/ttk.tcl"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel \#0 [list source $::ttk::library/ttk.tcl]"
    invoked from within
"if {$::ttk::library ne ""} {
    uplevel \#0 [list source $::ttk::library/ttk.tcl]
}"
    (file "/usr/lib/tk8.5/tk.tcl" line 599)
    invoked from within
"source /usr/lib/tk8.5/tk.tcl"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"source /usr/lib/tk8.5/tk.tcl"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list source $file]"

This probably means that tk wasn't installed properly.
And yet ... a Tk window appears, and you can put both Tk and Ttk widgets into it just as if the error message hadn't appeared!

XArchive still shows a bizarre list of "needed programs not found, ignored" when you open it--not a very user-friendly impression, to say the least.

I tried to find the GTK2 Stardust theme in the "Chtheme GTK Theme Chooser"--I couldn't find it! Not good! I do not think the new theme with dark trapezoids for scrollbars is an improvement. Plus, the new look will repel people who don't like orange, such as my wife. I like orange OK, but not quite that much of it!

Still to do: check sound, printing, integration with a copy of my pup_save file from Puppy 4.1.1, and more--but not tonight!

David McClamrock
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

ttuuxxx

#14 Post by ttuuxxx »

and The first of many starts with "Homebank' :)
Attachments
gtkhash-0.2.0.pet
(127.96 KiB) Downloaded 1373 times
beaver0.4.0-i386.pet
(80.03 KiB) Downloaded 1441 times
homebank-4.0.2-i386.pet
(182.75 KiB) Downloaded 1401 times
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Sat 07 Feb 2009, 13:45, edited 10 times in total.
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

#15 Post by ttuuxxx »

Lobster wrote:
I am very happy with its progress

- Why xchat and not the complete yahoo and msn and irc etc that we have in 4.1.2? Xchat is good but there are Seamonkey add ons that will do irc and are smaller . . . I believe?
Hi Lobster we wnt with X-Chat because Ayttm was buggy, When you changed your nick name while in chat,' /nick Lobster' you would get as nick
Lobster www.sdfasradfsdrtwersdfasd.com Wrote: <---- this isn't what I change my nick name too.
Also the GUI was hard to work. Also I had it crash a few times in Chat.

Now Xchat
Well I managed to make it 684.23 KB pet in size (pidgin in the repo is 1.6MB pet) and an older xchat in the Repo was 677pet without the following listed below :wink:

Also I included the #puppylinux to automatically load when executing it, This is a first for Xchat packages, even the repo one didn't do that.
Next i change the font sizes because the default ones were too small.
So now you click chat and it works out of the box and straight to the help.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Pizzasgood

#16 Post by Pizzasgood »

As others have mentioned, you seem to have included the drive icons from your own system.

Also, is the "mount" icon supposed to look faded-out like that?

I am in love with the GTK theme. The only thing that doesn't seem consistent is that the arrow-buttons on scrollbars don't light up orange when hovered over. Not a big deal.

What's up with the grub-gfxboot-README.txt and message.pup1 files that are in / ? Doesn't seem like they should be there...

The xorgwizard patch is still missing:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 607#256607
Without that, I have to manually configure the xorg.conf file to get Xorg to start.

It looks like all the Syslinux related stuff is right this time around. Cool.
Just to remind everyone with an Alpha - press f2 during boot from CD and type puppy pfix=ram so as not to interfere with any settings from other stable versions . . .
Actually, what they should really do is first backup their pup_save.2fs file, and then boot up without using pfix=ram. If it works correctly, it should give them a warning that they're attempting to boot an old pup_save.2fs file, and give them an option to skip loading the file and boot into ram similarly to using pfix=ram (it's slightly different in terms of which partitions are mounted, but no pup_save.2fs files should be loaded). That way we can make sure it works properly for everybody.

I'm sorry ttuuxxx, but I'm not feeling your IceWM themes (assuming you made them?). The clock portion is GREAT, but the title-bar looks like... how about I just don't say what it looks like. I'm trying to be constructive... Problems: too flat-and-black. The buttons are too bulbous - they just don't mesh with the rest of the title bar. It's like they were just tacked on with gum at the last minute. The other thing that bugs me is the width of the start button. Much too wide. It should be maybe 2/3 that size, or less.

But that clock is really nice. The title-bar buttons should look more like that. And they should look like they belong on the bar, not hot-glued onto it.

But that's just me. I have pretty odd tastes sometimes, so maybe I'm in the minority here. From what I understand, most people also think softdrinks (and hard drinks for that matter) are tasty and worth spending money on. Bunch of weirdos... ;)

Also I included the #puppylinux to automatically load when executing it, This is a first for Xchat packages, even the repo one didn't do that.
For the record, I am strongly against this practice. If it autologs you into the Puppy room, it should be labeled in a way to warn the user, or at least give an option. Better would be to have #puppylinux set as a bookmark or whatever, so that people who want to go someplace else don't have to dip in and then skip out right away. (Yes, there are other uses for chat than #puppylinux ;) )

Not that I actually ever use chat. But if I did, I'd find it extremely annoying.

Nothing against a dedicated icon labeled "Jump to #puppylinux" or "Puppy Chat Room" or something. Just shouldn't be the default action for the chat program itself.

I'm not trying to sound like a broken record. I won't bring it up again, for 4.2 anyway.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

ttuuxxx

#17 Post by ttuuxxx »

Pizzasgood wrote:As others have mentioned, you seem to have included the drive icons from your own system.

Also, is the "mount" icon supposed to look faded-out like that?

I am in love with the GTK theme. The only thing that doesn't seem consistent is that the arrow-buttons on scrollbars don't light up orange when hovered over. Not a big deal.

What's up with the grub-gfxboot-README.txt and message.pup1 files that are in / ? Doesn't seem like they should be there...

The xorgwizard patch is still missing:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 607#256607
Without that, I have to manually configure the xorg.conf file to get Xorg to start.

It looks like all the Syslinux related stuff is right this time around. Cool.
Actually, what they should really do is first backup their pup_save.2fs file, and then boot up without using pfix=ram. If it works correctly, it should give them a warning that they're attempting to boot an old pup_save.2fs file, and give them an option to skip loading the file and boot into ram similarly to using pfix=ram (it's slightly different in terms of which partitions are mounted, but no pup_save.2fs files should be loaded). That way we can make sure it works properly for everybody.

I'm sorry ttuuxxx, but I'm not feeling your IceWM themes (assuming you made them?). The clock portion is GREAT, but the title-bar looks like... how about I just don't say what it looks like. I'm trying to be constructive... Problems: too flat-and-black. The buttons are too bulbous - they just don't mesh with the rest of the title bar. It's like they were just tacked on with gum at the last minute. The other thing that bugs me is the width of the start button. Much too wide. It should be maybe 2/3 that size, or less.

But that clock is really nice. The title-bar buttons should look more like that. And they should look like they belong on the bar, not hot-glued onto it.

But that's just me. I have pretty odd tastes sometimes, so maybe I'm in the minority here. From what I understand, most people also think softdrinks (and hard drinks for that matter) are tasty and worth spending money on. Bunch of weirdos... ;)

For the record, I am strongly against this practice. If it autologs you into the Puppy room, it should be labeled in a way to warn the user, or at least give an option. Better would be to have #puppylinux set as a bookmark or whatever, so that people who want to go someplace else don't have to dip in and then skip out right away. (Yes, there are other uses for chat than #puppylinux ;) )

Not that I actually ever use chat. But if I did, I'd find it extremely annoying.

Nothing against a dedicated icon labeled "Jump to #puppylinux" or "Puppy Chat Room" or something. Just shouldn't be the default action for the chat program itself.

I'm not trying to sound like a broken record. I won't bring it up again, for 4.2 anyway.
I haven't seen alpha 3 yet, but the Icewm theme does sound like one of mine, and the buttons are loved by lots of puppy members, I've had tons of compliments about them, so you might be one of the few who don't like it. :wink:
As for xchat auto-login yes it does auto login into the #1puppylinux, but my friend that is done for all new users to find instant help :) and if you aren't a new user then you might just open Xchat up close the #puppylinux up then do the following
at the top click 'Xchat' button
then click 'Network List'
under networks 'freenode' will be highlighted, so click edit
untick 'Auto connect to this network on startup' and click close
ttuuxxx

@@@updated response@@@
As for the taskbar button width, that can be changes, Its still smaller than the actual menu, when you click it, one might think that it should be widen to match the menu width? But when I made the buttons its was for the pre-alpha stage and well I asked for input and didn't have much so I went with the size I used previously on other IceWm release that I made without any complaints, But it others do think its too wide, I'll change it, no problem, just remember the ice thing about icewm is the themes, if you don't like them, then install one you do like, You can never please 100% of people, someone always wants this added, this changed, this removed, etc, Lets just focus on getting the bugs fixed first and then, we can do the aesthetics if need be.
Xchat, pidgin, ayttm doesn't have profiles, so it would be hard to 2 ways of logging in, we could do the wm theme switch to it, but you wouldn't be able to save a changed profile.
Nobody ever complained about auto login to before when Barry did it.
How about this pizzagood you pretty linux keen, if you can figure out a way to have 2 icons on the desktop, 1 for auto-login to #1puppylinux and one just to login into freenode and say with a room list, Then package it up and we'll test it and if it works maybe WhoDO will use it:)
Sounds great to me. I just don't know how to do it and save changes that a user would make to a profile, like add there user account, password, etc.
ttuuxxx
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Tue 03 Feb 2009, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Raft

Homebank and seamonkey

#18 Post by Tom Raft »

First of all I appreciate your hard word.

Maybe it is possible

a) to update homebank. It is now at version 4.0.2.

b) to polish seamonkey. If you use the seafox or seagnome theme the gtk-theme is adopted. Perhaps a challenge for ttuuxxx.

Best regards

Tom

01micko

#19 Post by 01micko »

Nice work!
Is that Seamonkey! What a difference.

Ok, first problem, and lucky for you Warren and me. The the 'func' files you have in /usr/local/pwidgets are the same. Whew :!: (as I wipe sweat from my brow). On restarting X 'xmovewindowbyclassname' is crashing X in JWM, Icewm is ok. That's why I asked for more testers because we had a lack of them, only me and trio, and he hasn't a puppy with JWM. Sometimes the most simple things can be overlooked. For the moment we click the clock. We will work hard to have it ready by the time you are up to RC status.

Second, no wireless if you have a netgear usb stick, wg111v2. The driver is misnamed. I did an 'lsmod' and it is loaded as 'r8187', not 'rtl8187', so I grabbed my young bloke's TP Link el cheapo stick and here I am using ralink driver. I'll post a shot of rxvt.

Other than that the first ten minutes have been fun! :)

Yeah, drive icon bug already mentioned, but where is the volume control? Sound is great OOTB.

Cheers

Mick
Attachments
rtl8187.jpg
(50.81 KiB) Downloaded 1706 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

WhoDo

#20 Post by WhoDo »

kirk wrote:I've been out of the loop for a while. Is 4.2 using the same kernel as 4.1.2 (2.6.25.16)? Xorg 7.3? Any other base package changes? Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked many times.
Yes, kirk. We haven't recompiled the kernel at all, and Xorg remains unchanged. Barry wanted us to start with "baby steps" and I must say that was good advice given the number of bugs we managed to introduce and then eliminate with just package updates and a very few new features. See my original post for all changes except for syslinux, which has been upgraded to allow for a fancy boot screen.
kirk wrote:Also make sure that ntfs-3g package was compiled in puppy, using the same version of FUSE.
It might be worth PM'ing coolpup with your questions/concerns here. He supplied the updated package but I found it was missing a dependency when building the iso. I don't know if that's critical which is why my warning in the announcement above. I'd be very grateful if you were able to check it out before we get into beta, just to be on the safe side.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com