Puppy 4.2 Alpha3 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes

ttuuxxx

#181 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo your version of pburn you were going to include and is dated, the newer version has some nice options,
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23881
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

aragon

#182 Post by aragon »

@ whodo

reading a post in the fluxpup-thread, there is one more question, we also had several times in the past:

do we have xdelta in 4.2? it would help to reduce the download size in the future and espacially in beta-phase!

aragon

alex12

#183 Post by alex12 »

tempestuous wrote:Please plug in your wifi dongle and run this command

Code: Select all

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
and report the "Vendor" and "ProdID" values for your wifi device.
I know I'm not straypup but my dongle, also rtl8187b, returns

Code: Select all

Vendor=050d ProdID=705e

magerlab

#184 Post by magerlab »

xdelta is very easy to use so i think that would be no problems

MinHundHettePerro

SCSI-disks missing!

#185 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Last edited by MinHundHettePerro on Sat 16 May 2009, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

tasmod

#186 Post by tasmod »

As a recent convert I'm puzzled as to why two wm are included in the distro? Please don't slap me down, it just seems odd.

Is it historical? Seems some features are sacrificed to keep it below 100mb.
I know pets can be added.

Would more room be gained for features if it was one wm but two releases. i.e one icewm and one jwm?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#187 Post by Béèm »

Thanks for the announcement of alpha 3 with seamonkey.
I was on the point, after quite a stay away, to say some nasty :wink: things about the absence of SeaMonkey, but all is well now.

Just a question tho.
I have a pup_save of 4.12.
I didn't dare to use/migrate it in alpha 2.
Is it advisable to migrate it to alpha 3 or is it still a bit too early?

However I will do a migration of the alpha 2 pup_save to alpha 3 to test.

In any case a word of praise. The duality JWM/ICEWM is nicely implemented in alpha 2.

Oh yes another thing. Didn't see the alpha 3 yet, but is notecase in again?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

WhoDo

#188 Post by WhoDo »

aragon wrote:before the feature-freeze, here are some more recommendations:
Thanks, aragon. 8) I picked up most of the smaller ones. I'm trying to leave some room for CUPS, if you guys can get it working on Alpha4 which has no CUPS material installed as requested.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#189 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:ok WhoDo rounded corners added v5 uploaded, Hope everything passes the grade now :)
I'm sure it will, Jeff! :P Rounded corners would enhance the look of those excellent task bar buttons, too, but that's for another day! :wink:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#190 Post by WhoDo »

aragon wrote:do we have xdelta in 4.2? it would help to reduce the download size in the future and espacially in beta-phase!
No, it was overlooked. :shock: Pizzasgood is a great devotee of xdelta patches too, so it should be in there. Can you locate a .pet and upload or link please? I'm pressed for time and can't go looking myself or I wouldn't ask. Thanks, aragon. :idea:

Caneri

#191 Post by Caneri »

Hi Warren,

This is a bit older but it's what was used to do xdelta for some of the people.

http://puppylinux.ca/members/xdelta/

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

WhoDo

#192 Post by WhoDo »

tasmod wrote:As a recent convert I'm puzzled as to why two wm are included in the distro? Please don't slap me down, it just seems odd.

Is it historical? Seems some features are sacrificed to keep it below 100mb.
I know pets can be added.

Would more room be gained for features if it was one wm but two releases. i.e one icewm and one jwm?
A fair question, tasmod.

There are historical precedents in Puppy - JWM & Fvwm for example - but that isn't the reason we have two wm's in Puppy-4.2. JWM is not being well maintained; so much so that BarryK is toying with the Puppy community taking it over. OTOH we have about a 50:50 split of users who prefer either JWM or Icewm. Since ttuuxxx's latest Icewm is under 600kb, I figured it was worth giving our users the easy choice in the standard edition.

Icewm suits the themers much better. It is graphically-based and easy to make imitate things like Mac or XP. JWM themes are text-based and it is much harder to make those mimic other looks, but it is very light as a result.

Because of the sizes of both wm's it is WAY easier to build one release with both rather than offer two separate releases. I used to build EZpup to give the Icewm themers a choice, but with Puppy-4.2 that will be pretty much unnecessary and we can supply theme packs in dotpet format instead.

I hope that explains the logic.

Caneri

#193 Post by Caneri »

This is one from tombh..it may be the same xdelta

http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/wNOP/xdelta.pet

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

WhoDo

#194 Post by WhoDo »

Béèm wrote:Oh yes another thing. Didn't see the alpha 3 yet, but is notecase in again?
No notecase is not in Alpha4, but I'm always open to arguments either way. :wink:

When you try Alpha4 it would be a good time to do a test upgrade of your pup_save.2fs file as well, but use a COPY to be safe. I have stuck pretty much to the underpinning framework of Puppy-4.1.2 so there should be no real problems, but you never know.

I'm starting to get excited myself. Alpha4 is nearly beta or maybe even RC quality, but we'll see what you guys think after it uploads tonight. 8)

WhoDo

#195 Post by WhoDo »

Caneri wrote:This is a bit older but it's what was used to do xdelta for some of the people.
Thanks Eric. 8) If no-one puts forward a later version I've downloaded the one you linked for inclusion.

Cheers

straypup

8187B Dongle

#196 Post by straypup »

Sorry for the delay. I tend to wonder in my old age.
Thanks WhoDo for pointing the way. I knew I had seen it befor and even used it. This time though, I have missed something because it didn't work, Im using a1 to write this.
tempestuous, I finally figured out hoiw to acess the needed info (I am a total loss-everything I know about computers I have picked up either on line or by making mistakes-including how to use command line. The requested info is as follows(htis is from my a1)
Vendor=Obda ProductID=8189 Rev=2.00 Manufacturer=Realtek Product=RTL8187B WLAN Adapter. Hope it helps

smokey01

#197 Post by smokey01 »

Hi WhoDo,

I would like to see notecase included as that's where I keep all of my Tips/Help. When I see a useful tip in the forums I usually save it in notecase. It allows you to organise data logically and the search facility is pretty good. It also allows URL links to be saved. What is also good is you can send the ?.ncd file to someone else and they have a copy of all your data. It makes a pretty good eBook. It would be a shame to see it disappear.

I noticed on their web page the free version is no longer being supported but it works just fine the way it is.

Thanks Smokey

zigbert

#198 Post by zigbert »

Icewm / Jwm

Warren is doing a great job as the coordinator of the next Puppy. I can be totally against his choice of putting in Icewm, but I will surely respect his decision. But I still feel to give tasmod (and others) another view.

- Jwm is below 100 kb including all configuration script (guis) and extensions.
- Icewm is 6 times bigger and does the same job as Jwm.
- As far as I know we do not have the same configuration guis for Icewm as Jwm.
- We have now a Utility tray with editor for Jwm, but not for Icewm.
- There have been some minor (in my opinion) issues with Jwm, like the fullscreen issue with Gxine. It means you'll have to maximize the gxine window before getting fullscreen.
- Barry has mentioned on the blog that the community maybe should maintain Jwm. He has tried several window managers during the woof development, but last I checked he was back on Jwm.
- HairyWill has uploaded Jwm sourcecode to sourceforge and included the first hack (gxine fullscreen). It COULD be a start of something really good.
- Icewm has better theme support, but clever hands on this forum has made Jwm look ok (again my opinion). What has been mention is the flat tray and the lack of nice buttons in the window heading. Both are seen these days in adobe-suite-CS4 and ubuntu 9.04. It seems that there are a retro attitude in the many design departments at the moment. But hopefully someone in our kennel will improve the sourcecode, and add gradients to tray and png-buttons to heading.
- I thought Puppys intention is to use the tiniest working alternative.
- I'm NOT against Icewm, but think it fits better as an installable package.

BUT dearest friends. Whatever decision is made for Puppy 4.2, we will have a brilliant OS. It will be something much better than Puppy 4.12. Many of us doubted that we could improve it as much as WhoDo shows us at the moment.

Thank you WhoDo !!!

Best wishes
Sigmund

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#199 Post by Béèm »

smokey01 wrote:Hi WhoDo,

I would like to see notecase included as that's where I keep all of my Tips/Help. When I see a useful tip in the forums I usually save it in notecase. It allows you to organise data logically and the search facility is pretty good. It also allows URL links to be saved. What is also good is you can send the ?.ncd file to someone else and they have a copy of all your data. It makes a pretty good eBook. It would be a shame to see it disappear.

I noticed on their web page the free version is no longer being supported but it works just fine the way it is.

Thanks Smokey
I made the same remark a couple of hours ago.
So I second (or you second me) this request.
I feel fine with the version which was in 4.1.2 as well.
In Windows I have the 1.9.3 for the moment.
Time savers:

Béèm

Little problem going from a2 to a3

#200 Post by Béèm »

I use the Lin'N'Win method.
When I did create all what was needed (new puppy420a3 directory and an entry in menu.lst) I started the a3.
But I saw no sign of SeaMonkey.
Then I realized that the pup_420.sfs in /dev/home was still the old one from the previous a2 install. I had to explicitly overwrite it with the new one.
This was not the case in the 4.x.x series. Every pup_xxx.sfs had its own version number.

Maybe confusing for newbees who go from a2 to a3.
Time savers: