Puppy 4.2 Alpha3 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes

tempestuous

#226 Post by tempestuous »

straypup wrote:The requested info is as follows
Vendor=Obda ProductID=8189 Rev=2.00 Manufacturer=Realtek Product=RTL8187B WLAN Adapter
Well that device ID is not recognised by the standard "rtl8187" kernel module in Puppy 4.1.x, but it is recognised by the proprietary "r8187" module that I contributed two months ago here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 339#252339
alex12 wrote:my dongle, also rtl8187b, returns

Code: Select all

Vendor=050d ProdID=705e
That device ID is not recognised by either the standard or proprietary module. Obviously, that's a problem.
So I did some Googling, and found a list of additional RTL8187B devices which need to be recognised -
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/RTL8180.html

I have now updated the proprietary r8187 wifi driver to recognise these additional device ID's.
Last edited by tempestuous on Tue 03 Mar 2009, 21:29, edited 3 times in total.

WhoDo

I think I'll go back to my barbeque lunch!

#227 Post by WhoDo »

No offense intended to anyone debating the relative merits of JWM and Icewm BUT this is supposed to be an Alpha3 bugs & fixes thread.

@ttuuxxx - Chill, Jeff, ok? :roll: I already responded to Sigmund's post way back when. He wasn't shooting at you, just trying to balance the ledger for the JWM devotees; that's all. Hey I now LIKE the bubbly title bar - it grows on you after a while. It's just probably a little too "different" for a default look is all. Like fine wine and strong cheese, some of your designs are an acquired taste. 8)

@trapster - It may be time to try Icewm again - never is an awful long time. :wink: I had the same bad experience as you with an early Icewm. It wasn't the wm's fault, just the way it was packaged to produce the preferred effect. ttuuxxx's latest minimal version doesn't change any defaults and is easily removed.

Better still, give it a whirl in Alpha4 - especially that Ctrl+Alt+Space feature to get a command line in the task bar, and Ctrl+Alt+Del to get shutdown/reboot options etc. I'm still learning about this amazing little WM. JWM2.0 also raised its standards, and if it was being maintained as rigorously as it deserves, would be right up there too for functionality. Just my $AUD0.02c worth.

@Lobster - don't know what happened to the email, Ed, but I didn't get it. I haven't yet included the modified initrd.gz in Puppy-4.2 because I wanted to get all the packages stable first. If someone who knows would like to PM me with instructions to modify the initrd directly, I'll make the changes in my Unleashed tree for this release. Better be quick though. I'm getting an itchy trigger finger! :P

@Zigbert - I think we understand each other fairly well. Believe me when I say that you are not the cause of the brouhaha. You can't blame a bright spark for every inferno (very topical given the current situation down here - 35 dead and still counting). Sometimes bad stuff just happens.

Guys, I'm not GOD, a God, God-like or even a demi-god like Barry. All the same I now know just what it feels like to watch my "children" fighting among themselves when they could achieve so much more by cooperating (notice I didn't say "agreeing"). Please, can we just concentrate on making Puppy-4.2 "DeepThought" the best darn standard Puppy release ever? It goes without saying that I love you all regardless of who you are and how you behave but sometimes its really hard, you know? :roll:
Last edited by WhoDo on Sun 08 Feb 2009, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Pizzasgood

#228 Post by Pizzasgood »

Mmmmm cheese.... I got a gift card for Christmas that I haven't gotten around to using yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll see if I can find a store within walking distance and get me some queso. We're having really nice weather lately, and I could use a good walk.
Like when comments were placed about the default title bar, well I spent 21.5hrs in one day working on it until it was perfect again
:shock: Tell your wife sorry for me. Yeah, I didn't like the old one much. But not 21.5 hours worth! The new one does look better though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: I think I'll go back to my barbeque lunch!

#229 Post by Lobster »

WhoDo wrote: @Lobster - don't know what happened to the email, Ed, but I didn't get it.
it was a pm - here is the link again and you did mention that you would add it to alpha 4 also in a pm - not email - my mistake :oops:

here is a possible SFS solution . . .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 534#272534
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

trapster

#230 Post by trapster »

WhoDo wrote:
@trapster - It may be time to try Icewm again - never is an awful long time. I had the same bad experience as you with an early Icewm. It wasn't the wm's fault, just the way it was packaged to produce the preferred effect. ttuuxxx's latest minimal version doesn't change any defaults and is easily removed.
That is true, it was an earlier package that ttuuxxx did not make but it did leave a bad taste. I should (one of these days) try ttuuxx's version to see what all the fuss is about.

@ ttuuxxx -
I remind people how much effort/time I put into puppy because my wife gets on my case all the time about the hours I put into this project. Wink
Like when comments were placed about the default title bar, well I spent 21.5hrs in one day working on it until it was perfect again
Your perseverance is admirable!
(just don't neglet the wife too much :wink: )
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

tasmod

#231 Post by tasmod »

Issue with top Ptray menu still to be resolved. Missing icons in drop down.

I altered the .jwmrc-tray-top for correct location of icons. All was well.

Then I tried the new Ptray. It does not start off with the correct icons in line and if clicked will blank the top bar again and revert to missing icons.

It replaces default .jwmrc-tray-top.

ttuuxxx

#232 Post by ttuuxxx »

When you close pmusic and its playing a song, it continues to keep playing and when its finished it still doesn't exit, if you check it with pprocess its still active, this needs to be fixed or replaced.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Tom Raft

Pmusic

#233 Post by Tom Raft »

This is a feature of pmusic.

Open pmusic again and stop playing.

Tom

ttuuxxx

Re: Pmusic

#234 Post by ttuuxxx »

Tom Raft wrote:This is a feature of pmusic.

Open pmusic again and stop playing.

Tom
well it should work like that by default, you shouldn't have to manually kill it with pprocess, or reopen it a second time to kill it, it should be killed when you close it down. and if you want that feature it should be part of the menu.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

pa_mcclamrock

#235 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

trapster wrote:I should (one of these days) try ttuuxx's version [of IceWM] to see what all the fuss is about.
To get a full idea of what the fuss is about, you should also take a look at the IceWM Themes Exchange: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=20702.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

tasmod

#236 Post by tasmod »

Took your advice and checked out icewm themes. Quite nice.

However when I switched back to jwm I discovered a bug.

/.etc/windowmanager is not updated to jwm. So after a reboot it starts everytime in icewm.

$CURRENTWM stays as icewm

WhoDo

#237 Post by WhoDo »

tasmod wrote:/.etc/windowmanager is not updated to jwm. So after a reboot it starts everytime in icewm.
Yep. Fixed in latest release. See p1 of this thread for v5 of Icewm by ttuuxxx.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

tasmod

#238 Post by tasmod »

Ah, sorry missed that.

Caneri

#239 Post by Caneri »

[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

straypup

rtl6187B

#240 Post by straypup »

tempestuous-Thank you for the help. Tried to install both listed modules (one at a time) but couldn't get them working (probably my missing something or not following the right procedures (remember I learn by Mistake) D/L again and now have working ndis (bad burn I guess) On line with a3 now. Something tells me you will beat this 8187 problem that seems to hang over ALL versions of linux. Again thanks..guess ndis will continue to serve me as it has since 2.13 when I discovered Puppy

cthisbear

#241 Post by cthisbear »

" well it should work like that by default, you shouldn't
have to manually kill it with pprocess, or reopen it a second time
to kill it, "

Totally agree..........Chris.

richard.a

#242 Post by richard.a »

ttuuxxx wrote: - Why xchat and not the complete yahoo and msn and irc etc that we have in 4.1.2? Xchat is good but there are Seamonkey add ons that will do irc and are smaller . . . I believe?
Hi Lobster we wnt with X-Chat because Ayttm was buggy, When you changed your nick name while in chat,' /nick Lobster' you would get as nick
Lobster www.sdfasradfsdrtwersdfasd.com Wrote: <---- this isn't what I change my nick name too.
Also the GUI was hard to work. Also I had it crash a few times in Chat.

Now Xchat
Well I managed to make it 684.23 KB pet in size (pidgin in the repo is 1.6MB pet) and an older xchat in the Repo was 677pet without the following listed below :wink:

Also I included the #puppylinux to automatically load when executing it, This is a first for Xchat packages, even the repo one didn't do that.
Next i change the font sizes because the default ones were too small.
So now you click chat and it works out of the box and straight to the help.
ttuuxxx
Just a point, folks.

You won't get die-hard IRCers happy in using a combo IM client for IRC purposes, although Gaim/pidgin is fine for newbie and occasional chatters. Really.

XChat - even a smaller earlier version - would be acceptable.

IRC is actually a good location in which to promote PuppyLinux, mainly because of the ability to slide in a CD and reboot. To then tell them they have to download and install a chat client to demo the platform is really unlikely to win hearts.

We might remember that Ubuntu - which probably has the highest base of IRC users apart from MS Windows - provides a poorman's version of XChat which depending on which Ubuntu version/repo is being used, may or may not be easily upgraded to a real XChat client.

Currently many serious Windows and Linux IRC-ers are trying and using KVIRC, and finding that operator scripts are more easily written for it than for XChat.

Just an observation, having been on IRC since about 1997.

Writing this on the first puppy install (or live CD) that would work on my Toshiba Satellite T1800 laptop, the JWM ver 4.12 - and I also have the MacPup 4.11F on another partition. I can thoroughly recommend both for this particular laptop.

Off topic, I cannot get the EzPup v4 to do anything on 4.12 (2 diff downloads, from two different locations) apart from saying it is installed. Ver 3 will almost work.

Keep up the good work guys,

Richard in cold Adelaide
(for 3 days between mid 40s Celsius)
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

Q5sys

#243 Post by Q5sys »

Currently many serious Windows and Linux IRC-ers are trying and using KVIRC, and finding that operator scripts are more easily written for it than for XChat.
Ive been using Kvirc for a while and have been hanging out in their IRC channel. Good group of guys. I'm running into the problem of getting it to run on puppy. Perhaps it requires someone with a bit more puppy skill than I. But ive been fighting trying to compile their latest SVN build for over a week now. I can never manage to get it to work with SSL.
I prefer kvirc over xchat for tons of reasons... but trouble with getting kvirc installed is keeping me on Fc11 for my normal OS. :(