Puppy 4.2 Alpha4 Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes

Pizzasgood

#31 Post by Pizzasgood »

@WhoDo: Shouldn't it have replaced that with the one from packages/ after you ran createpuppy?

@ttuuxxx: I'm sorry, I was mistaken. It wasn't the default theme, it was Odelite. Elegance and Bluemat also could benefit from this.

I have a floating box too. Gotta go to bed though so I can't test it. This is gonna be another crazy week...

The thing tom4jesus mentions about freememapplet is something I've seen in JWM too, so that makes sense. Maybe freememapplet is getting launched before the icewmtray is loaded properly. I think I saw something like that before, back when I was a regular IceWM user.
Attachments
blocky.png
(24.78 KiB) Downloaded 1397 times
theme.png
(7.44 KiB) Downloaded 1340 times
flat.png
(18.16 KiB) Downloaded 1385 times
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

STOP PRESS: Zigbert, trio and 01micko have worked hard on Pwidgets and version 0.7 is now available for download. I strongly recommend updating to this before testing. It will be in the next release, no question, and it works like a charm.
Downloading seems OK - got the ISO easily

Pwidgets 0.7 is much improved but I eventually had several widgets open but only the clock displaying. Maybe I need to do an x restart . . . Nope - not that. It seems something to do with the refreshing of the program . . .

'Hotpup' with the exclamation marks would seem to be a good priority for fixing in the beta :)
The swapping between jwm and icewm is easier and both window mangers were working :)

Thanks guys for all your efforts and passionate (at times) team work. :D
I was working on a database (see cutting edge) and we might swap to C programming - not sure if it will be in Deep Thought - early pre-alpha days for that 8)

I would urge going for Beta (you get more testers and feedback) if possible on the next release - the feature set is there?

I believe the 100MB is a good idea and I feel we will get a 4.2 Barebones provided (maybe from Wolfpup) usually within a few days - this would enable two official versions?
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 09 Feb 2009, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

Re: jwm menu format

#33 Post by WhoDo »

Tom Raft wrote:I miss the hacked fixmenus script from zigberts DeepThougt theme.
Yeah, not deliberate ... just an oversight. I'll add it to my list. Thanks. :oops:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

ttuuxxx

#34 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey WhoDo

your puppy pin fix, cleaned up my desktop extra icons:)
Butttttttt pmount is still broken for my sata2 and also when I click preferences it crashes. (I like the single row, not the tab version :wink: )
also that damn 'insert key' problem is back!!! Funny when I compiled seamonkey it was fine and now its back, I read somewhere it was a gdk issue
ttuuxxx

Ps anyone tried the Cups package on page 1 I made?
and
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

#35 Post by ttuuxxx »

a free memory applet goes, I've never seen it leave the IceWm taskbar, I compiled it on series 4 and its been stable ever since, I've seen it fly off jwm tons of times but never icewm, I guess we could put a long delay, and have it tested.
ttuuxxx

trio

#36 Post by trio »

Lobster:

I found few bugs in pwidgets 0.7 and I was telling zigbert about it:
Very Happy ZIGBERT:

Teacher, nevermind the test, I found the problem, pwidgets-exec (pwidgets 0.7):
#Pwidgets
$HOME/.pwidgets/pwidgets-exec_xonclock &
$HOME/.pwidgets/pwidgets-exec_xli &
$HOME/.pwidgets/pwidgets-exec_conky &

should be:

#Pwidgets
$HOME/.pwidgets/pwidgets-exec_xli &
$HOME/.pwidgets/pwidgets-exec_xonclock
$HOME/.pwidgets/pwidgets-exec_conky

right? Thanks
trio

PostPosted: Today, at 01:56 Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Zigbert:

two more issues regarding pwidgets 0.7:

1. slideshow config:

I have to change from:

#### BASIC SETTINGS #####
#IMAGE_DIRECTORY="/usr/share/backgrounds"
IMAGE_DIRECTORY="/root/my-images"
DELAY=15 #in seconds

to

#### BASIC SETTINGS #####
IMAGE_DIRECTORY=/usr/share/backgrounds
#IMAGE_DIRECTORY="/root/my-images"
DELAY=15 #in seconds

in order to work

2. Weather/Weather_BG

Both using pweather as the font, but with my computer after mkfontdir & mkfontscale the font is listed as pweather1.ttfand it cannot be read by conky, I renamed the font to pweather.ttf and did mkfontdir & mkfontscale again, and it worked. Can you just change rename to pweather.ttf in the package?

Thanks
Last edited by trio on Mon 09 Feb 2009, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#37 Post by ttuuxxx »

this is all the info pmount gives me when I run it via command line
/pmount: line 290: 19889 Terminated yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "Puppy Drive Mounter

WhoDo

#38 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:I attached a patch. Assuming it is downloaded to the puppy-unleashed/boot/ directory, it would be applied like this:

Code: Select all

gunzip init-rem_auto_cp_to_hd.patch.gz
patch initrd-tree0/init init-rem_auto_cp_to_hd.patch
Thanks, PG. Patch applied as directed. Next version should lose that particular problem. 8)

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#39 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:I won't say anything about printing except that I didn't try it and, when I see an announcement that it works again at last, I'll try it.
You'd have had a hard time trying it in Alpha4 ... I removed CUPS so ttuuxxx and the guys could install and test on a clean build. :P
pa_mcclamrock wrote:Calendar is back in Claws Mail, I see. This is not an improvement...[snip]... The Calendar feature in Claws Mail is embarrassingly bad and should be trashed, "IMHO."
If it is as ordinary as you say, I'll remove it. ttuuxxx gave me two versions to choose from and this time I included the version with the calendar. I haven't even looked myself, yet.
pa_mcclamrock wrote:I checked my e-mail with Claws and got the mail, but I also got an error message saying "The Bogofilter plugin couldn't filter a message. The command `bogofilter -T -b` couldn't be run."
I'll check it out. It may be as simple as a missing library dependency.
pa_mcclamrock wrote:When I type text in my Tcl/Tk text/HTML editor (WISH Supernotepad) while running JWM, the titlebar blinks periodically. This doesn't happen while running IceWM.
:?
pa_mcclamrock wrote:Could you possibly bring yourself to squeeze in the very good-looking DejaVu Serif and DejaVu Sans Mono fonts in addition to DejaVu Sans, which Puppy already has?
"We'll see..." :wink:
pa_mcclamrock wrote:Tcl/Tk 8.5.6 now works correctly--almost. I no longer get the "no ttk" error message when I run Tk apps, and most of mine work right. The exceptions are two that use the Tcl "clock" command. Here's the error message I get when I try to run these from the command line. (Should I PM rarsa about this?)
If you want it fixed then rarsa is your man.
pa_mcclamrock wrote:Also, when I ran WISH CD-Writer, I got a message saying cdrdao isn't in my PATH. Is there a successor to cdrdao for audio CD-writing from the command line? If so, what is it?
cdrkit replaced cdrdao early in the Dingo 4.xx series.
pa_mcclamrock wrote:And now for something really bizarre. ..[snip]...I wonder what's going on here!
I don't know but it could be the reason Barry didn't move up the 2.8 version of Rox filer that I have just included. If we get any more bizarre behaviour I'll roll it back out in favour of the 2.6.1 version previously installed.
pa_mcclamrock wrote:Oh, and one more little thing: What if I don't want an analog clock and a calendar on my desktop? How do I get rid of them? :roll:
Menu>Desktop>Pwidgets and remove any offending widget by clicking on the widget in the right panel and then clicking the blue minus sign above the panel before hitting "apply".

Hope that helps

WhoDo

#40 Post by WhoDo »

`f00 wrote: imo, this should be user-set and not a default startup on initial boot. Also if it's like it was in a1 and I believe a3, it has a script in /root/Startup dir that may still run fixwidgets ..
The trouble is that most users wouldn't even know it was there if you didn't have it running at first boot. The average refugee certainly wouldn't go looking for it. This way they find out it's there and can use the right hand panel to disable it if they don't like it. JMHO. :wink:

WhoDo

#41 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Hey WhoDO did you remove the shutdown menu again?? it was part of the /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.icewm_menu in the latest icewm package
Again? :? I didn't remove it the first time! :P I got quite a surprise that it wasn't there too. It may be a clash of menu templates in the packages directory of Unleashed - something else is overwriting the one from Icewm-4.20v5 because that is installed first with createpuppy. I thought you might have disabled it or something with v5. I'll look into it. :roll:

WhoDo

#42 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:pmount isn't working properly, its not letting me mount my sata2 hard drive, this is a first for puppy :?
also I thought the reason why we have tcl/tk was to get mut working, well the gui doesn't work either for mut, the command line does, ummmmm maybe I can see a alpha 5 emerging, lol
:? This hasn't been changed at all in any 4.2 Alpha. Please check out the included new packages list on p1 - maybe one of the newer packs broke it. :idea:

WhoDo

#43 Post by WhoDo »

jrb wrote:I have reconfigured the load_sfs.pet for 420. It now puts a link to load_sfs in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/SendTo/.application_x-squashfs-image making it work in Rox right-clicks.
Ok but I'll hang on to this before implementing. Hairywill may patch the later version of Rox filer or I may revert to the earlier version 2.6.1 which uses OpenWith rather than SendTo.

WhoDo

#44 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:@WhoDo: Maybe you should set up Qemu and give the isos a quick test-run with it before uploading them, so you can verify for sure whether or not your partitions were included before it's uploaded.
Just a bit of overkill in response to a dose of Oldtimer's disease :P , but I take your point. I uploaded Alpha4 at the last possible minute because I want to impose an immediate feature freeze prior to going beta. I was getting pretty tired when the last file uploaded around 4.30am local time. Mea culpa. :oops:

WhoDo

#45 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:@WhoDo: Shouldn't it have replaced that with the one from packages/ after you ran createpuppy?
It would have if I had run createpuppy again after updating the packages directory instead of opting for the shortcut complete2sfs! :oops:

WhoDo

#46 Post by WhoDo »

Lobster wrote:Pwidgets 0.7 is much improved but I eventually had several widgets open but only the clock displaying. Maybe I need to do an x restart . . . Nope - not that. It seems something to do with the refreshing of the program . . .
Code glitch in Pwidgets-0.7 ... trio is on to it in the Pwidgets thread.
Lobster wrote:I would urge going for Beta (you get more testers and feedback) if possible on the next release - the feature set is there?
Pretty much. David McClamrock is working on a package for inclusion but features are mostly set now.
Lobster wrote:I believe the 100MB is a good idea and I feel we will get a 4.2 Barebones provided (maybe from Wolfpup) usually within a few days - this would enable two official versions?
It's currently 96Mb but that's without CUPS. We'll need to shoehorn that one in before we get to RC stage.

WhoDo

#47 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Butttttttt pmount is still broken for my sata2 and also when I click preferences it crashes. (I like the single row, not the tab version :wink: )
Pmount hasn't been updated AFAIK so there has to be a dependency issue. What does it say when run from a console and the preferences is clicked?
ttuuxxx wrote:also that damn 'insert key' problem is back!!! Funny when I compiled seamonkey it was fine and now its back, I read somewhere it was a gdk issue
Did you compile with debug enabled? To quote from Robert Duval in Days of Thunder (talking to a stock car with a leaking tranny) "This is not the answer I expected from you!"

WhoDo

#48 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:a free memory applet goes, I've never seen it leave the IceWm taskbar, I compiled it on series 4 and its been stable ever since, I've seen it fly off jwm tons of times but never icewm, I guess we could put a long delay, and have it tested.
It's a timing issue. I've had it in Icewm plenty of times and it's always resolved by tinkering with the sleep settings on startup. I think there are so many applications vying for a start (what with Pwidgets, XonClock, Xpad, blinky, freememapplet, Parcellite, etc) that something has to clash with something else sometime. Reducing the number of autostarting apps is probably the best solution. I'd take Xpad and Parcellite out of the autostart equation if it was up to me. Disabling the net and cpu activity blocks in Icewm would probably also help and give us a cleaner task bar and system tray area. :idea:

WhoDo

#49 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:this is all the info pmount gives me when I run it via command line
/pmount: line 290: 19889 Terminated yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "Puppy Drive Mounter
That's all normal. So when you have pmount running and click the preferences it just quits with no other error or indication at the cli?

ttuuxxx

#50 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:this is all the info pmount gives me when I run it via command line
That's all normal. So when you have pmount running and click the preferences it just quits with no other error or indication at the cli?
yes it just disappears, and when I click on my sata2 drive it just disappears and doesn't give any newer messages.
as for the timing on icewm goes, I'll get rid of the net+cpu status and xpad, no problem and maybe increase free memory applet, It don't have any issues on my pc with icewm but I do have a fast pc, maybe on older pc timing could be a issue. Its hard to fix things like that when you don't have the problem in front of you. But could we hold off on killig parcellite please and keep it as a last resort. It takes almost no memory and its my most beloved program :)

ttuuxxx