pupplet version specifically for Old Hardware

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
racepres

pupplet version specifically for Old Hardware

#1 Post by racepres »

Boy there is indeed lots of derivatives! Can someone point me to one that may be aimed specifically toward old [slow] hardware? I have an antique ast laptop, which will almost run Damn Small Linux in fluxbox but it is admittedly terrible, especially since I cannot get the color even close. I suspect that it should be run in frame buffering, but I can't make it do that either.. Now it can run win98 rather well.. but I dislike it.
Specs are:
100mhz cpu w/fpu, and a terribly slow bus I'm sure
a whopping 20m of ram
a 810M hard disk
OH and no cdrom!!!
I put DSL in and also tried puppy 4.1.2, by removing the hd and installing from another lappy... the beginnings of my probs! Once I get a new direction I will try to build a set of boot floppies for the next round!!
TIA, and Sorry so long.. RP
BTW if I am asking the impossible, just let me down easy!

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

01micko :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36843

" I scored an old IBM 486 50MHz 16MB ram. Is it worth ripping out the hard drive asuming it works, and installing 412 as a frugal straight off the cd, through my other machine? The cd drive in the machine is dead and all the slots are ISA. Was so hoping it was a pentium!!! A little more ram too! I do not want to spend a cent on it. HD is 512MB, was thinkin 80MB swap. Maybe use fat free? "

""""""""""""
" Fat_free runs faster when I have the save on the harddrive, maybe less swapping? I thought maybe to increase the swap to around 80meg. That would bring it roughly into line with the '2.5 x ram' formula. I'll try it later and report the results. "

I've tried to keep the 486 stock standard. 32M ram is probably the limit for the mobo. I've tried more but it just doesn't work. The harddrive is standard IBM and I decided just to keep the one to see how it goes. The only mod is the cd burner but that will be another story! I've never haerd of one working in a 486 but that doesn't mean it won't!

8)" WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!
A picture tells a thousand words.. "

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=30

///////

Chris

racepres

#3 Post by racepres »

OK Trying Fat_Free
RP

Libretto100ct

#4 Post by Libretto100ct »

I'm running Skinny Pup (Based on Puppy 4.0) on a Libretto 50 with 75 MHz Pentium and just 16 MB RAM.

I just started this project today, but hope to have a working Puplet in a few weeks. I have been using Puppy & old hardware for 2 years now on older Toshiba computers and have found some tweaks to make it run OK on "obsolete" hardware. Honestly though you should NOT expect anything remotely "speedy" . With old hardware you have to accept it's limitations and live within them.