Puppy 4.2Beta Seamonkey Bugs & Fixes

WhoDo

#181 Post by WhoDo »

aragon wrote:
WhoDo wrote:You're getting confused?!
i see your point :lol: but sorry, NO MERCY :lol:
In Australia we have an expression that covers {said with mock disgust} - "Good onya, mate!" :P :lol:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#182 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:I remade 3 of my themes out of system links and 3 or 4 images, the smallest theme, probably the smallest theme ever for icewm is, 8192B and the other one is 10kb linked to Odelite. So my updated icewm package will be a lot smaller, I might make one or 2 more linked themes before repackaging it, Hows that sound?
How will the linking affect the user's ability to delete themes without ramifications, if he so chooses? IOW, are the links to a part of the package that will stay intact if other themes are removed? :?

As for losing Elberg-Blue, I'm not "precious" about that. It really was there only to offer a light coloured alternative. From what I've seen of your "Sand" theme, that is admirably taken care of and I think it looks great! 8)
ttuuxxx wrote:I'll look at the icewm themes and try to find a few light ones where I'll reuse a few images. Can you believe 'Sand' is so small and System linked on Odelite???
This is the potential problem to which I refer above. If Odelite is deleted by the user, Sand will end up with broken links and may not work at all! There has to be another way ... perhaps a shared access or reference to a common "images" directory one level up? :idea:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#183 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:
WhoDo wrote:Even when the package list is finalised, I won't create it until I find out how Barry does that quickly and easily. I refuse to manually edit hundreds of package files. I've got enough to do. When I do create it, as promised earlier, you will be the first to know.
The ./createpets script does that, along with producing all the .pet packages out of the packages/ directory.
I suspected as much but didn't have the time to go looking for it. You've saved me the effort.
Pizzasgood wrote:Unfortunately, that means it's more difficult than necessary to include the lists inside the iso - you'd have to build them, add them, rebuild them, and then add them again, overwriting the previously added versions (so that they reference themselves properly).

Well, you could manually update them to account for themselves too I suppose.
If they appear in the Unleashed tree as a part of the Remaster Express package, then they would be fine? They wouldn't need to reference themselves because, presumably, RemaX is the only application you wouldn't want removed before remastering, am I right?
Pizzasgood wrote:Might be a good idea to split the code that handles that out into it's own script, and have it automatically run as part of ./createpuppy, placing them in the 0rootfs_skeleton package and automatically making sure they reference themselves by simply processing the 0rootfs_skeleton package a second time at the very end.
Could they not just be placed in /root/.packages/Unleashed directory under rootfs-complete? And also placed in 0pkgs_db-420 as well, or would that be a circular reference that would break the script?
Pizzasgood wrote:Not that I'm volunteering. I can and will do it eventually if nobody else does, but that could take a while. :(
Well I'd volunteer but I'd be afraid of the consequences ... very afraid! :P We'll see if one of our other scripters picks up the challenge, eh? :)

WhoDo

Re: rxvt backgrounds - xvesa flaky

#184 Post by WhoDo »

growler wrote:I am not sure what has changed with Xvesa but I am unable to shutdown from Xwindows running xvesa - it seems to go into a loop and restart - if someone else reported this then sorry to repeat. I have to kill x manually - I can't even CNTRL+ALT+Backspace to ditch it - it respawns.
I noticed that in pre-Beta testing also, but I have no idea why it happens. If one of our script coders could have a look I would be grateful. I haven't changed the version of Xvesa from the one used in 4.1.2, so the issue has to be in the area of shutdown scripts IMHO. :?

WhoDo

#185 Post by WhoDo »

CatDude wrote:I found this online http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/rxvt1.html
Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.
And the good news is that 4.2 has the man2html reader utility available from the menu which allows you to access these pages directly as long as you are connected. :wink:

WhoDo

#186 Post by WhoDo »

aragon wrote:i have gnumeric 1.8.4 running, i will test it this weekend and post if it's stable.
Cool! 8) When posting please verify the size by comparison with the earlier version. I could easily go back and look that up myself AFTER I downloaded it, but I'm too busy downloading all the other packages from our prolific packagers! :P {can I hear a "Good onya, mate"?} :lol:

WhoDo

#187 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Added icewm-402-v7.pet
Got it, thanks! 8) I agree about the news reader. It should be available in the public repos for anyone who really needs it, but it doesn't fit the bill as a must have for Standard puppy IMHO.

ttuuxxx

#188 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:Added icewm-402-v7.pet
Got it, thanks! 8) I agree about the news reader. It should be available in the public repos for anyone who really needs it, but it doesn't fit the bill as a must have for Standard puppy IMHO.
Yes I agree 100% hey what did you think about that Citrus theme ?? I actually don't mind it, it kind of grows on ya, lol
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

disciple

#189 Post by disciple »

Can anyone check if it still has this bug?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 070#276070
If so, is there any chance of addressing it?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

01micko

#190 Post by 01micko »

Yep... 8) "Goodonya Mate!" ( and I don't envy your boots :wink: )
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ttuuxxx

#191 Post by ttuuxxx »

disciple wrote:Can anyone check if it still has this bug?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 070#276070
If so, is there any chance of addressing it?
Disciple the way I made the pet package, if you click the cups in the menu, it starts a script the killall cups first then starts it, So wouldn't that stop cups from printing? I'm not near a printer at the moment to try it.
Or you can open a terminal and type the name of the script. killcups, I could always make another script that does that also and doesn't restart the install/configure script for cups and add a menu item.
ttuuxxx

WhoDo

#192 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:hey what did you think about that Citrus theme ?? I actually don't mind it, it kind of grows on ya, lol
Cute. Very cute. :P I see that all of your themes use the same title bar decoration, so did you give any thought to my concerns about a user deleting Odelite trashing all the related themes?

ttuuxxx

#193 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:hey what did you think about that Citrus theme ?? I actually don't mind it, it kind of grows on ya, lol
Cute. Very cute. :P I see that all of your themes use the same title bar decoration, so did you give any thought to my concerns about a user deleting Odelite trashing all the related themes?
Well I had to keep the title decorations, the whole idea was to make some really small themes so they wouldn't get the axe, The window decorations counts for 80% of the total themes weight. Ok I'll work on the it right now.

Don't forget to change the puppy pin for the Install from dotpup --->petget so we get rid of the shortcut arrow on the desktop icon.
Also what else needs updating, isn't the install script colours messed up also, I'll fix that also, maybe first, since the clock is ticking once again.:)
Anything else you need fixed before the stroke of midnight WhoDo??
ttuuxxx

I thought I read somewhere the colours was messed up in the Puppy universal install, I just installed the files to my hard drive by using it, and I could read everything just fine, whats up with that ???
any others needed to be fixed ???
ttuuxxx

disciple

#194 Post by disciple »

So wouldn't that stop cups from printing?
I imagine so, but:
1) The problem is not just to interrupt a print job. The problem is to cancel a print job. If you restart cups the print job stays in the queue - with Puppy's default setup you need to run a command in the console to cancel a job :(
2) Killing cups before opening the web interface is a BAD idea. Why are you doing it? Is it needed for some sort of scan for new drivers or something?
There is no reason why users won't want to access the CUPS control panel while a print job is being processed. I've certainly done it a number of times.
If you NEED to kill CUPS for printer setup or something, you either need separate menu entries for setting up a printer and for general printer management, or you need a dialogue giving you the choice. I prefer the first solution, although it would still be good to have a warning that you are about to restart CUPS and interrupt any current print jobs.

With regard to solving the bug (assuming it is still present - I think you might have updated to CUPS 1.4?), there are at least two options:
1) Patch cups to allow cancelling print jobs without logging in.
2) Simply add that one line in my post to cupsd.conf, which will mean you need to log in to control the printers.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#195 Post by Flash »

WhoDo wrote:
tasmod wrote:I'm getting an odd problem that I didn't have before.

SeaMonkey occasionally loads a page, reports done but page is blank.
This keeps happening until I shut it down and restart SeaMonkey again.

Is this a known issue?
This is a page load timeout issue. It happens all the time on this forum when the page response is too slow for Seamonkey's timeout setting. Reloading the page over and over until it catches and loads inside the timeout sometimes works. Closing the page and reloading again frequently works IF the cause of the slow load has disappeared. In the case of forum pages, that means uploading in the thread being viewed has completed.

I don't know where the page load timeout setting is for Seamonkey, so I can't tell you where to go to extend it. Maybe ttuuxxx can since he compiled the latest Seamonkey for 4.2 DeepThought.

Hope that helps
I only get blank pages with "Done" at the bottom from this forum. It doesn't seem to me to be a timeout issue because sometimes it happens almost immediately, far sooner than the time SeaMonkey will usually continue to try to load a page before it gives up, and when it does give up it gives a timeout message not a blank page. I think it's a server issue rather than a SeaMonkey issue, but that's a WAG. :lol:

ttuuxxx

#196 Post by ttuuxxx »

disciple wrote:
So wouldn't that stop cups from printing?
I imagine so, but:
1) The problem is not just to interrupt a print job. The problem is to cancel a print job. If you restart cups the print job stays in the queue - with Puppy's default setup you need to run a command in the console to cancel a job :(
2) Killing cups before opening the web interface is a BAD idea. Why are you doing it? Is it needed for some sort of scan for new drivers or something?
There is no reason why users won't want to access the CUPS control panel while a print job is being processed. I've certainly done it a number of times.
If you NEED to kill CUPS for printer setup or something, you either need separate menu entries for setting up a printer and for general printer management, or you need a dialogue giving you the choice. I prefer the first solution, although it would still be good to have a warning that you are about to restart CUPS and interrupt any current print jobs.

With regard to solving the bug (assuming it is still present - I think you might have updated to CUPS 1.4?), there are at least two options:
1) Patch cups to allow cancelling print jobs without logging in.
2) Simply add that one line in my post to cupsd.conf, which will mean you need to log in to control the printers.
Off hand do you know the command line to kill the queue, If so I'll put a s menu item 'Stop Printing Now' with a printer image with a red circle around it with a red line across it :)

The reason why I restart cups with the new script is that, a new users were having lots of problems setting up printers, They could not add a printer if its already started, you need to stop cups and restart. sure we know how but they don't, most have to reset the pc to get around this, how frustrating. Also if cups hangs, this fixes that problem. tell ya the truth I think it wouldn't stop printing if you restart cups anyways. So all is good then, Just need the command to cancel printing and i'll quickly add it to the printer packages for the next release which is being finished today. If you don't know its ok i'll figure it out, just that i'm once again on a limited time frame with the window of opportunity closing on beta2
Thanks for the help
ttuuxxx

PS WhoDo your giving me a brain cramp with all the links to the icewm packages, lol Its not just Odelite its the ubuntu and xp one also, that have system links coming from it, and that one theme has system links from the ubuntu and xp theme combined, lol what a mess, I've done 4 of them so far. :)
I'll get it done
ttuuxxx

disciple

#197 Post by disciple »

It's some sort of server issue - I don't think it's "timing out" per se, as you normally get a message telling you if a page times out.
I think the server is essentially serving blank pages when it is overloaded - refreshing repeatedly probably just makes the problem worse, so I just wait a few minutes before trying.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

WhoDo

#198 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:WhoDo your giving me a brain cramp with all the links to the icewm packages, lol Its not just Odelite its the ubuntu and xp one also, that have system links coming from it, and that one theme has system links from the ubuntu and xp theme combined, lol what a mess, I've done 4 of them so far. :)
I'll get it done
I think the key will be to create a default theme and put all of the standard window decorations in there. At the moment there is no default theme and you get no buttons, etc. when default is selected. The default used to point to a theme call icedesert IIRC.

An alternative would be to put the titlebar decorations in a directory at the main level called titlebar (there's already one for taskbar) and point your system links there instead of to another theme.

I like the second idea better but the first also has benefits.

5hrs 30mins left, ttuuxxx! :P

PS. I also need to get the correct code for /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc to call your shutdown dialog from JWM. It's not absolutely necessary but certainly more consistent. We also need to set the Ctrl+Alt+Del keymap assignment in JWM to point to that dialog too.

PPS. Apart from these minor fixes, Beta2 is ready and its 99Mb. I'm starting work on the Desktop Icon Themes to standardise them and set up a template so others can follow suit.

WhoDo

#199 Post by WhoDo »

@Flash & disciple - I think you're both right; it's a server issue. I just realised that I'm getting the problem with FirePup as well. :roll:

tasmod

#200 Post by tasmod »

Thanks for answer guys. Not realised it was only on the forum, now it's mentioned I realise that's so.

I have experienced a lot of problems with forum recently, error 500s, logged out by server whilst replying to message etc etc. Ah well :?