No sound even though card identified

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
lappup

No sound even though card identified

#1 Post by lappup »

I'm running 4.1.2 Puppy on IBM 380Z laptop and ALSA sees cs4232 (the right card) and seemingly adds the module, but when it tries to load it, it hangs.

I found this on another site:

"added "modprobe -v cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0" to line 138 of /etc/rd.1/rc.local0 for full soundcard support under puppy"

but there is no rc.local0 on the drive. Also, the module is snd_cs4232...but with this in mind, if the rest of the parameters are correct, what should I edit to set it manually?

Thanks

Oakems

#2 Post by Oakems »

That's a script that will load those settings at each boot before X starts. The file your referring to is rc.local located in /etc/rc.d/.

If your lucky and have the same set-up as that script then, Open rc.local and add "modprobe -v cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0" without quotes, but that's only if your extremely lucky, you may need to find out what values you should have for those settings. The easiest way of doing this it seems, is from Windows, but your bios should also tell you (about the irq and dma settings anyway)

lappup

#3 Post by lappup »

FYI, this worked for me until I upgraded to the newest version of Puppy, and now I have no sound again.