Multi-session on CDRW: strange problem!

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
gpk

Multi-session on CDRW: strange problem!

#1 Post by gpk »

Hi

Was just about to do something useful with Puppy and a very old 333MHz Pentium when the multisession CD went haywire. Maybe writing to CD-RW is not supported?

I created the CD originally from Windows by burning the (non-multisession as it happened) ISO of Puppy 1.0.6. From inside Puppy I used CDRecord to burn a multisession CD of the multisession ISO, having done a quick erase somehow IIRC.

Booted fine several times on my main PC (laptop) and the old 333 in question. Saved session back to CD to save screen settings etc. Worked fine on both PCs. Then added some other files (about 1.5MB, from my Windows NTFS partition) and saved session again. I did notice some errors messages come up during the save attempt, but didn't think too much of it as the pages of info scrolled past, as I think there had been some odd messages previously. On old PC it booted fine and the extra files were there (and still are). But I needed to add a few more files, and when I tried booting on the main (laptop) PC it came up as a new Live CD ... worked fine but saved session data not there! Tried saving session again, but this had no effect on behaviour on either PC.

Another odd thing - on the old PC, the Save to CD icon is there, but never has been on the laptop that has the Cd writer. The old PC has only got Cd reader unless I'm mistaken ...

Anyway the drive in the laptop is a:
MATSHITA CDRW/DVD UJDA740

any thoughts? It strikes me as a bit odd that on the laptop the CDRW is treated as a new Live CD while on the old PC both saved sessions are there.

gpk

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Hmm, that save icon on the desktop is only supposed to be there for
multisession DVD, not for CD. Puppy is supposed to determine this
automatically.

RMW

#3 Post by RMW »

I've had that Save icon show up on a WinXP install (multi-boot, pup001 on NTFS drive). It only appeared after trying to resize pup001 and having the system hang for 60 seconds after boot script tried to resize2fs. The pup001 file was never resized, that icon would appear, etc. Eventually I just stopped trying to resize pup001 and created additional pup00x files for additional space.