Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Jul 2014, 21:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Why does Firefox 3.06 keep crashing on Puppy Linux 4.1?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [58 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
HyerMan

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb 2009, 20:25    Post subject:  Why does Firefox 3.06 keep crashing on Puppy Linux 4.1?  

I use Firefox because it seems to support more than SeaMonkey. Unfortunately, it crashes quite a bit and i can't determine why.

I also installed FlashPlayer 9.0.124.0 for Mozilla but I am pretty sure the crashes were occuring before I installed it.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks,

Hyer
DMcCunney

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb 2009, 22:34    Post subject: Re: Why does Firefox 3.06 keep crashing on Puppy Linux 4.1?  

HyerMan wrote:
I use Firefox because it seems to support more than SeaMonkey. Unfortunately, it crashes quite a bit and i can't determine why.

I also installed FlashPlayer 9.0.124.0 for Mozilla but I am pretty sure the crashes were occuring before I installed it.

What can I do to fix this?

I have FF 3.06 installed on Puppy 4.12, and it hasn't crashed on me. Can you give an example of things that make your installation crash?
______
Dennis
HyerMan

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb 2009, 00:27    Post subject:  

I wish I could give you good repro steps, but I can't. Usually it crashes when I click a link somewhere. It seems almost random where it occurs. If I restart Firefox and take the option to start where I left off it almost always crashes again in the exact same way and the exact same place. If I restart Firefox and start with a clean slate then I can't repro the problem (and I can't give you repro steps).

When I say it crashes I mean FF just vanishes. It doesn't hang or anything.

Is there a stack dump or anything I can find and post?

Thanks,

Hyer
Trobin

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb 2009, 11:43    Post subject:  

I dunno. I had FF306 working on Puppy 4.x. Well sort of working. Once I could finally get the thing to my home page, took about five tries, it worked most of the time. Finally ditched Firefox, and opera, all together and went back to Seamonkey.
tubby

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb 2009, 12:23    Post subject: Firefox  

My Firefox installation also crashed frequently on my laptop, i think it was something to do with flash, so i tried FirePup and i have had no crashes yet. The one thing i did do was change the fonts as the original font looked ragged and blured on my laptop.
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb 2009, 13:09    Post subject:  

Well I tried ff3.06 on 4.12 on friends laptop (full install) and was getting random crashes which were definately not flash...(well not directly , there may be a flash/gtk2/ff connection) as seamonkey was stable with with the same flash version..9.124.

FF 2 is stable and I am trying out flash 10.15 with it which is behaving so far.

May be worth trying ff3 with no flash plugin as a debug exercise...javascript would be another major suspect.

regards

mike
Anniekin

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb 2009, 13:15    Post subject:  

This issue seems to occur when the CPU is cooking on overdrive i.e. too many tabs open.
HyerMan

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb 2009, 14:03    Post subject:  

I definitely see more crashes when I have 3+ tabs open but I am pretty sure that I have had problems with just one tab. I'll stick with one tab for a while an see what happens.
Anniekin

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar 2009, 06:26    Post subject:  

(3+ tabs) + (opening / closing bookmarks / history sidebar) = crash
99% of the time for me
Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar 2009, 07:36    Post subject:  

I had problems with 3.0.5 which I never got to the bottom of.

Release notes for 3.0.6 indicated many stability and security fixes.

My question could be: Why is my Firefox of the same version so stable?

People don't usually pose questions like that, but when I glance at this topic which is several times a day, I wonder

But it is stable, very stable, anyone genuinely interested in Firefox stability, I'll be happy to outline how I have it setup.

mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar 2009, 11:09    Post subject:  

Hmm I did find a connection between gtk and firefox (and flash?) and stability...perhaps what the binaries were compiled against is a factor

mike
HyerMan

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar 2009, 23:33    Post subject:  

I uninstalled flash and it crashed as much or more than before.

I decided to try starting from scratch. I upgraded from Puppy 4.10 to 4.12 and in the process I created a new pup_save.2fs file. I have installed firefox and it is running fine so far. I'll give it a few days and then start to trick things out. I'll watch and see if it crashes and post back.

Seems like radical surgery to solve the problem, but it hasn't been that bad. The prior install was my first and I had been playing with everything on it. I could have messed something up and caused a problem with Firefox.
gyro

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar 2009, 14:36    Post subject:  

Bruce B wrote:
But it is stable, very stable, anyone genuinely interested in Firefox stability, I'll be happy to outline how I have it setup.
Please do. So, how have you setup firefox?
Since 3.0.7 is now available, I would like to try to set it up so that it is stable.

gyro
HyerMan

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar 2009, 19:13    Post subject:  

Sorry. I think I might have given bad data.
-On the Puppy410 installation the about menu says Firefox 3.07. When I look at the PetGet menu it shows that I have installed Firefox 2.0.0.7.
-On the Puppy412 installation the about menu says Bon Echo 2.007. The PetGet menu shows Firefox 2.0.0.7 installed.

It is possible that I manually installed Firefox 3.0.7 on the Puppy410 install but I don't remember doing it.

In any case, the Bon Echo 2.0.0.7 seems to be working just fine and not crashing.
HyerMan

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar 2009, 19:32    Post subject:  

Looks like I probably did manually install Firefox 3.0.7 on my Puppy410 installation. I found a bookmark for installing it manually so I probably did. Here is the bookmark with instructions: http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/applications/various/firefox
I can't recommend it as it crashes quite a bit. Is there a better version or way of installing it that I should try?

For now I am sticking with Bon Echo 2.0.0.7 as it seems to work fine.
Page 1 of 4 [58 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: