JWM 2.0.1 Enhancements and Fixes

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
`f00

#16 Post by `f00 »

If you really want to mess with keystrokes I have another wm here that needs a return to sanity (no hints, you must guess .. oki small hint - if a commmon combo is used, it kills the Puppy with no save dialog ...) . . screenie to lower the qual of this fine thread . .
Attachments
yynn.png
(149.33 KiB) Downloaded 2955 times

Dougal

#17 Post by Dougal »

lilleguard-liste wrote:2. Can you make a keyboard shortcut for "minimize all" and "maximize all" open applications?
You mean like "show desktop"? There's the show desktop panel button and I tried looking at some stage to see if there's a key-binding for it... I'll see if I might manage to hack something like it.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Patriot

#18 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
lilleguard-liste wrote:.....

I have two suggestions for improvements:

1. Ever since starting to use Puppy Linux I have been annoyed that alt+tab doesn't include the applications which are minmized (icewm and every other window manager i have tried does). Is it possible to fix it?

2. Can you make a keyboard shortcut for "minimize all" and "maximize all" open applications?

First, the next window cycling issue can be fixed quite easily. My own personal version already have this fix. It was not earlier included as I thought of it as an original JWM feature ... ;-)

Second, as Dougal mentioned, by making a keybinding to showdesktop it will achieve the result you desire ... I've already added the keybindings and it'll be included into the next update.

Anyone else who wishes to have these two fix included, please say aye to lilleguard-liste request.

Rgds

`f00

#19 Post by `f00 »

Was I dreaming or might it have been a reality-based thing about a keycommand-wizard-script .. that checked for conflicts between all the apps' keycommands ? Yah, seems too good to be true but if it were (hard to imagine since 'standard' keycommands are often user-modified - I try not to since that way lies much complication in recall and yes, conflicts with some key-intensive apps like graphics and audio/video creation ..)

But "aye" - make it something like win<key>+D or similar? I never did get the naming conventions down (hyper, super, meta etc) and yah, be sure and take into account the international nature (yep, there's absolute standards there somewhere) .. as long as it's safe ;) I'd rather not lose a session by clumsy typing :lol:

zigbert

#20 Post by zigbert »

Suggestion:
The window is maximized and I want to close the window. I 'throw' the mouse-cursor to upper-right corner and click, but the close-button is not there. - It is a few pixels down and left. It would have been great if close-button was defined all the way out to the upper-right corner. The same feature would be nice for the start-button.

Sigmund

zigbert

#21 Post by zigbert »

The color-definition of windows bottom corners doesn't work (.jwmrc).

<WindowStyle>
<Font>DejaVu Sans-12:bold</Font>
<Width>5</Width>
<Height>22</Height>
<Active>
<Text>white</Text>
<Title>#222222:#777777</Title>
<Corner>#EF9034</Corner>
<Outline>#444444</Outline>
</Active>
<Inactive>
<Text>#555555</Text>
<Title>#777777:#bbbbbb</Title>
<Corner>#888888</Corner>
<Outline>#bbbbbb</Outline>
</Inactive>
</WindowStyle>

Sigmund

Patriot

#22 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...
zigbert wrote:Suggestion:
The window is maximized and I want to close the window. I 'throw' the mouse-cursor to upper-right corner and click, but the close-button is not there. - It is a few pixels down and left. It would have been great if close-button was defined all the way out to the upper-right corner. The same feature would be nice for the start-button.

Sigmund
It's a good one zigbert. I have already attempted to do so before jwm-alpha-preview. Unfortunately, it didn't work right and was left out to allow me to make simpler codings. I've tested the original jwm 2.0.1 and it didn't allow closing of maximized windows from the top right corner either ... (I will not bore you with the technical stuffs here) ...

The start button is actually a taskbutton. It's not (normally) possible for it to get a click notify msg outside of its boundary. Hacking it to fill taskbar height will pose new problems. So, it'll have to stay that way for now.

It is possible to add a specific start button option in the future. Needs time to properly implement it though ...

Finally, yes the window bottom corner colors are not used. It is still validated for jwm themes compatibility but the actual codes employing the corner colors are no longer used by the enhancement portions. The border seems cleaner to me that way ... This, however, does not affect corner sizing ability ...

Rgds

lilleguard-liste

#23 Post by lilleguard-liste »

Dougal wrote
You mean like "show desktop"?
Yes, but I prefer using the keyboard. And "showdesktop" doesn't maximize the windows you have minimized manually. I would like a "maximize all" function. If you call it "show desktop" or "maximize all" - doesn't matter to me - but I'd like it to make all my applications jump up and down from the tray.

Patriot wrote
First, the next window cycling issue can be fixed quite easily. My own personal version already have this fix. It was not earlier included as I thought of it as an original JWM feature
If you 're not to implement this in default DeepThought, could you please tell me how to do this on my personal Puppy Linux. Are there anyone who really want their window manager not to include minimized applications when toggling between them?

Patriot wrote
Second, as Dougal mentioned, by making a keybinding to showdesktop it will achieve the result you desire ... I've already added the keybindings and it'll be included into the next update.
Only adding keybinding will not solve the problem of maximizing windows/applications which are minimized one by one (with "one by one" I mean pushing the minimize icon in the upper right corner with the mouse pointer). Actually this is just the same as in Windows XP. There you can use Win+D (show desktop) or Win+M (minimize) and Win+Shift+M (unminimize). But there is no "Maximize all" - that is if you have 4 applications in your tray, and minimize one of them, then type Win+D will minimize the other 3 apps, typing Win+D once again will maximize the 3 apps and leave the minimized untouched. I simply would like a keyboard short cut to maximize all apps. Am I the only one...?

Dougal

#24 Post by Dougal »

Here are patches for adding the "showdesktop" keybinding.
I made one against the "clean" beta1 and one after applying my previous patches for the svn additions etc.
Last edited by Dougal on Sun 12 Apr 2009, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Patriot

#25 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...
lilleguard-liste wrote: If you 're not to implement this in default DeepThought .....

Only adding keybinding will not solve the problem of maximizing windows/applications which are minimized one by one (with "one by one" I mean pushing the minimize icon in the upper right corner with the mouse pointer). Actually this is just the same as in Windows XP. There you can use Win+D (show desktop) or Win+M (minimize) and Win+Shift+M (unminimize).
DeepThought development is co-ordinated (headed) by WhoDo. He decides what goes into the released package. I do not have the authority to decide. I for one, will recommend inclusion/usage of this JWM beta once it is considered to be bugfree to the enhanced portions. That may take a little while to reach there ...

What you requested can be included into the next update. The coding has already been done to do precisely just what you requested. As it is, my internal tests shows that JWM can now perform (alt+tab) next window switching even with minimized apps and showdesktop will also restore all apps on the desktop including minimized ones.

I agree that (alt+tab) next window switching that includes minimized apps should be a standard function, I also have no problem to apply the codes for showdesktop to include minimized apps. Those who says aye/nay please make yourselves heard ...

Rgds

WhoDo

#26 Post by WhoDo »

Patriot wrote:DeepThought development is co-ordinated (headed) by WhoDo. He decides what goes into the released package.
I have been following the development of JWM enhanced and as good as it is I agree that it is not yet ready for inclusion in Puppy 4.2 Deep Thought which is only a week or so away from its Final release.
Patriot wrote:What you requested can be included into the next update. The coding has already been done to do precisely just what you requested. As it is, my internal tests shows that JWM can now perform (alt+tab) next window switching even with minimized apps and showdesktop will also restore all apps on the desktop including minimized ones.
I am happy to include this for the existing version of JWM that is in Puppy 4.2 Deep Thought if you supply me with the necessary scripts/instructions to do so. 8)
Patriot wrote:I agree that (alt+tab) next window switching that includes minimized apps should be a standard function, I also have no problem to apply the codes for showdesktop to include minimized apps. Those who says aye/nay please make yourselves heard ...
I too agree. That'd be an "aye" from me on both counts. :wink:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

DaveS

#27 Post by DaveS »

This is a nice piece of work thanks. I just installed the .pet and re-started JWM. Nothing changed, so I re-booted and there were the lovely rounded window corners and borderless buttons. Nothing got scrambled or bent, configuration of desktop etc untouched. NICE!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Patriot

#28 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

@DaveS
I hope you enjoyed using the enhanced JWM ... By the way, restarting JWM only reloads the configuration settings but not itself. Restarting X is the way to fully reload JWM apart from rebooting ... ;-)

@WhoDo
Exactly the reason why I didn't even ask you to include it. The enhancement portions to JWM needs time to mature.

About the next-switching/showdesktop changes, it consists of two parts. Internal codes that needs compilation and external changes to .jwmrc keybinding settings.

Will it be acceptable if I add these bugfixes and related changes to JWM for purists package for you to try it out ?

Rgds

WhoDo

#29 Post by WhoDo »

Patriot wrote:Will it be acceptable if I add these bugfixes and related changes to JWM for purists package for you to try it out ?
Perfectly so, thank you. :wink:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Patriot

#30 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

@WhoDo
As per your request, the JWM for purists package have been updated to include these bugfixes/changes :

The binary is on the first page [jwm-2.0.1-pb-2.tar.gz]:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=15593

* Bugfix client window loosing focus after multiple desktop switching
* Changed next window cycling will also restore minimized client (ie. alt+tab).
* Changed showdesktop to also include minimized clients
* Added keybinding for showdesktop

An example on how to use the showdesktop keybinding, this should be placed in the appropriate jwmrc-personal settings file:

<Key mask="A" key="F3">showdesktop</Key>

The above assigns alt+F3 to toggle showdesktop. You may use whatever key assignments that suits your needs.

@
An updated JWM enhanced will be slightly delayed as I'm evaluating if fullscreen support should be expanded. There's also a few bits needed to be checked for consistency plus some minor codes rearrangements to be done ...

Rgds

Dougal

#31 Post by Dougal »

So... how are things progressing?

I've recently been suffering quite a bit from another old JWM problem: windows opening outside the screen.
For example: I run Seamonkey and click to download a file and the save dialog opens too high up...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

DaveS

#32 Post by DaveS »

Dougal, I have that problem all the time and just figured it was unfixable.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

panzerpuppy

#33 Post by panzerpuppy »

An updated JWM enhanced will be slightly delayed as I'm evaluating if fullscreen support should be expanded. There's also a few bits needed to be checked for consistency plus some minor codes rearrangements to be done ...
Still waiting for the enhanced variant of JWM-2.0.1 pb2.

Patriot

#34 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

I'm unable to concentrate on JWM lately as I had to move around a lot. It's kinda hectic right now. It'll be back to normal this weekend.

What's been/being done:
- bugfixes as marked [Fixed] on page 1
- still bug chasing: fullscreen support, gtk2 apps moveresize issues, some WM Hints

The taskbar appearing on fullscreen client bug has two possible solution:
1. Hide taskbar offscreen (while fullscreen)
2. Fully disabled taskbar (while fullscreen)

I'm hiding it offscreen right now so it doesn't suddenly appears when playing videos or something. This also allows taskbar events to be processed.

I've posted the updated pe-beta-2 binaries & pet. Sources will be up in a few more days (needs some cleaning up).

JWM-2.0.1-pe-beta-2

* Bugfix taskbar/tray appearing on fullscreen client
* Bugfix client window loosing focus after multiple desktop switching
* Changed next window cycling to also restore minimized client (ie. alt+tab).
* Changed showdesktop toggle now also restore minimized clients
+ Added opaque, translucent & showdesktop keybindings
+ Fixed square bracket not drawn on winmenu
+ Minor code & comments rearrangement/tweaking
- Removed inner window border (outline)

I'll take a look at that offscreen-window-position issue later ...

Rgds

MU

#35 Post by MU »

I just installed beta1 maybe 2 hours ago.
I'm really impressed, it looks great!

So Newyearspup will have JWM again in the next release :)
Many thanks, fantastic enhancements, it looks so good now!

small Screenshot here (with xeyes):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39705
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]