JWM 2.0.1 Enhancements and Fixes

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
Dougal

#31 Post by Dougal »

So... how are things progressing?

I've recently been suffering quite a bit from another old JWM problem: windows opening outside the screen.
For example: I run Seamonkey and click to download a file and the save dialog opens too high up...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

DaveS

#32 Post by DaveS »

Dougal, I have that problem all the time and just figured it was unfixable.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

panzerpuppy

#33 Post by panzerpuppy »

An updated JWM enhanced will be slightly delayed as I'm evaluating if fullscreen support should be expanded. There's also a few bits needed to be checked for consistency plus some minor codes rearrangements to be done ...
Still waiting for the enhanced variant of JWM-2.0.1 pb2.

Patriot

#34 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

I'm unable to concentrate on JWM lately as I had to move around a lot. It's kinda hectic right now. It'll be back to normal this weekend.

What's been/being done:
- bugfixes as marked [Fixed] on page 1
- still bug chasing: fullscreen support, gtk2 apps moveresize issues, some WM Hints

The taskbar appearing on fullscreen client bug has two possible solution:
1. Hide taskbar offscreen (while fullscreen)
2. Fully disabled taskbar (while fullscreen)

I'm hiding it offscreen right now so it doesn't suddenly appears when playing videos or something. This also allows taskbar events to be processed.

I've posted the updated pe-beta-2 binaries & pet. Sources will be up in a few more days (needs some cleaning up).

JWM-2.0.1-pe-beta-2

* Bugfix taskbar/tray appearing on fullscreen client
* Bugfix client window loosing focus after multiple desktop switching
* Changed next window cycling to also restore minimized client (ie. alt+tab).
* Changed showdesktop toggle now also restore minimized clients
+ Added opaque, translucent & showdesktop keybindings
+ Fixed square bracket not drawn on winmenu
+ Minor code & comments rearrangement/tweaking
- Removed inner window border (outline)

I'll take a look at that offscreen-window-position issue later ...

Rgds

MU

#35 Post by MU »

I just installed beta1 maybe 2 hours ago.
I'm really impressed, it looks great!

So Newyearspup will have JWM again in the next release :)
Many thanks, fantastic enhancements, it looks so good now!

small Screenshot here (with xeyes):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39705
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

puppyiso

Looking good

#36 Post by puppyiso »

I have installed xeyes.

Looks good. The only complain I have is that the menu item should be a little brighter when select.

Otherwise, it goes well with my gray wallpaper.

zigbert

#37 Post by zigbert »

Suggestion:
Let's say that I want to drag a image from ie (a maximized) Seamonkey to Rox which is hiding below Seamonkey. Would it be possible to drag image to the Rox traybutton - wait 1 sec - Rox pops up - and drop image.

If Rox is on another desktop I could drag the image to the chosen desktop - wait 1 sec - entering new desktop - drop my file.

Thanks
Sigmund

panzerpuppy

#38 Post by panzerpuppy »

Patriot wrote:* Bugfix taskbar/tray appearing on fullscreen client
The taskbar is still visible when you play a fullscreen YouTube video with Opera :(

(JWM-2.0.1-pe-beta-2)
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Sat 21 Mar 2009, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

`f00

#39 Post by `f00 »

Posting this here in the jwm-beta(enhancements) thread since the singlefile "lakem-jwmrc" and more-or-less matching "lakim" gtk theme to go with it really depends on the transparency fx of jwm-beta. It all started with the default.jpg background in P4.20-rc3 a few days ago ..

For anyone who's wondering, I generally do four simple 'dedicated' trays (a medium-sized pager on left, tasklist only on the bottom, a docktray for stuff like absvolume/sgmixer, opera, xpad and any players that have iconized mini-controls on the right and finally a minimal toptray with xload swallowed and a re-X button) - just re-name the includes in /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc & fixmenus if you do anything off-the-wall like that. The date,time & other info works well from a conky/widget and wbar's the launcher (that's a pair I really like since much of the time I fool around with other wms and menus, etc aren't always too consistent between .. so far it seems that xfce is the only wm I've tried that wbar won't fly in).

a fullsize 606kb screenie of what it all looks like together in rc3

even a bonus couple matching 'figs for the widgetheads since this is pretty much a dedicated-to-the-wallpaper deal. Maybe redo the driveicons later for green and gold auras since the signal-badges aren't all that obvious ..

Yep, there's not a lot of contrast in inactive elements even if you dial the opacity up, it's more subtle color play than 'screaming pencil' (;

Gah - when extracted, three files (lakem-jwmrc, ConkyStd and Processes) are ticked in the exec column in Properties. To be sure, UNtick the 3 checkboxes for each of those files in that exec column after extracting .. geez, I can't do anything right :(
Attachments
lakemimand.tar.gz
fwiw, md5: A65BD4CAB2FB221BF1536A9CE5513AD7
(4.41 KiB) Downloaded 1362 times

jayargent

#40 Post by jayargent »

Originally posted in the 4.2 RC4 Bugs Thread.

WhoDo thought it would be better to post it here.

JWM Configuration Manager

The "Application launch buttons in tray" script is broken. The "Add" button does not do anything and the "Edit" button goes into an infinite loop. I figured out that the problem was caused by using an icon for the task bar menu button in 4.2 instead of an icon + label. The panel-buttons script uses that line in .jwmrc-tray as a reference. I tried adjusting the panel-buttons script to look for the new line. It then partially worked but it started adding duplicate icons to the taskbar. I don't know why.

panzerpuppy

#41 Post by panzerpuppy »

@Patriot: Please restore the ability to resize windows from the top.
This JWM issue is one of the main reasons why people dump JWM and switch to other window managers.

playdayz

#42 Post by playdayz »

<add>Never mind. I remembered I had not read of all of your excellent documentation. All the positives still stand ;-)

Thank you Patriot. I thought I would use your enhanced jwm with Who's Unnamed Puplet, mainly because the unnamed pup is the only one I have found that detects my ati 3850 video *and* installs the proper xorg radeon driver *and* with dri working *and* with xcompmgr working correctly. Also the pcmanfm desktop was giving me trouble. So it seemed like a good fit.

When I installed the pet however, the next time I started X it was still with the LXDE desktop rather than jwm. I edited .xinitrc so that it ends with exec jwm and also so that the "currentwm" stuff in the two lines preceding the last are commented out. Now jwm starts with its ROX desktop and I have the rounded corners. However, none of the composite programs start. I wonder how you intended for jwm to start so I can do it the right way. Thanks.

MU

#43 Post by MU »

you can add to .xinitrc before jwm is launched:

Code: Select all

run-xcompmgr.sh &
Lxde in ultrapup runs it automatically, but for jwm you must launch it like described.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

playdayz

#44 Post by playdayz »

Hey MU, Yeah, I finally remembered I hadn't read all his great docs and went and found that answer.

Now, I have kcompmgr running

Code: Select all

kcompmgr -I 0.05 -O 0.15 -f -n & # composite, fade-in/out & transparencyr
It is indeed running because I can see the process in top and I am getting fading in and out on the menus. However nothing else is semi-transparent--so there must be another step I am missing, which I can't find in the docs. I am sure it is a simple one. What do I need to do activate the full transparency?

scheck.r

#45 Post by scheck.r »

zigbert wrote:Suggestion:
Let's say that I want to drag a image from ie (a maximized) Seamonkey to Rox which is hiding below Seamonkey. Would it be possible to drag image to the Rox traybutton - wait 1 sec - Rox pops up - and drop image.

If Rox is on another desktop I could drag the image to the chosen desktop - wait 1 sec - entering new desktop - drop my file.

Thanks
Sigmund
Another solution would be to add a option to configure JWM like this:
- Raise window when clicking inside an application (yes/no)

If yes, it is the actual behaviour.
So, if you have seamonkey maximized and a rox window not maximized but focused you can see both windows but as soon as you click inside the seamonkey window then the rox window is hidden and unfocused

If no, one has to hold Alt and click inside the application to raise a window.
So, if you have seamonkey maximized and a rox window not maximized but focused you can see both windows but as soon as you click inside the seamonkey window then the rox window is not hidden but unfocused. However if you click inside the seamonkey window while holding Alt then the rox window is hidden and unfocused like before.

Cheers

`f00

#46 Post by `f00 »

@playdayz
@MU - yup, fiddle about and sometimes it 'settles in' by simple exercise

either via the taskbar button or headermenu (right click) for the windows. the menu, pager etc are semi-fixed (but may be adjusted in the chosen theme file *-jwmrc - to see the results of any editing, often it's helpful to change themes back and forth and re-jwm .. one reason I have or make a dedicated submenu rather than an option/dialogue for 'shutdown' items that are more related to change than 'hard' switches) .. not sure if the windows may be transluced or opaqued as a group (read further up for Patriots key-bindings or possibly elsewhere if I'm dreaming again/still :lol: ) but individual windows tend to use less resources drawing, especially if moved about or if window content is active (like a slideshow or animation)
Last edited by `f00 on Sat 21 Mar 2009, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

MU

#47 Post by MU »

playdayz
try to activate the theme "Cool vg" in the jwm settings.
It should provide a transparent startmenu.

I have other themes that just get transparent, once I chose Cool-vg before.
I have not yet tried to find out the reason.

Mark

Patriot

#48 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@MU & playdaz
I hope both of you enjoyed the enhanced JWM ...

The translucent/opacity level is controlled in your jwm theme file. Please take a look at the sample Cool-VG. There're <Opacity> options for Menu, Window and Tray. The value should be between 0 and 1 (ex: 0.75 = 75%) ...

Menu and tray opacity is automatically set on JWM startup/restart if composite components is running. Window translucency/opacity can be turned on/off from the winmenu or through group/keybindings ... I'll update the Q&A later for this ...

I've thought of making an internal config panel but that's going to take time to build ...

@panzerpuppy
Resize from top ... no promises ... if it's easy enough then maybe ...

Taskbar appearing on fullscreen client was meant against gxine and mplayer. There's many other fullscreen client that still breaks JWM. It's an on-going process and needs more time to fix ...

@`foo
That's right `foo ... some experimentation helps ... ;-)

@jayargent
I'm aware of the jwm config manager breaking in a few places ... I'll take a look when I have some time ...

@zigbert
I wish I can do that in a few lines of codes ... Imagine doing all this with just Xlib ...

@Everyone
I'll probably get back to messing with JWM some time soon this week. I still need to clean up the codes too ...

Right now I'm busy getting hplip (on cups-1.3.9) ready for Puppy and NOP413. I have to get this done first since the printer used for testing will have to be returned soon.

Rgds

joewing

#49 Post by joewing »

I just thought I'd let everyone know that I finally got around to working on JWM some more. Sorry that it's taken so long... Anyway, I've merged most of the patches in this thread into my svn repository (very cool patches, btw) and made a few more changes as well (the ability to resize from the top of the window, for example). I also started doing nightly builds again. You can get them here: http://joewing.net/programs/jwm/snapshots/.

01micko

#50 Post by 01micko »

Nice work Patriot! (and helpers) and thanks Joe!

Cheers

Mick :P
Attachments
JWM444.jpg
(50.1 KiB) Downloaded 3628 times
bar.jpg
(8.72 KiB) Downloaded 3036 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access