Remaster Express for Puppy 4.2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pa_mcclamrock

Remaster Express for Puppy 4.2

#1 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

. . . isn't quite finished yet, and I'm looking for a bit of advice on what it should do when it is finished. The existing Puppy remaster script (/usr/sbin/remasterpup2) can invoke "growisofs" to burn DVD-Rs, but not +Rs, -RWs, or +RWs. I'm trying to figure out what Remaster Express should do in its place.

(1) Does DVD-burning, and not just CD-burning (which is no problem), really need to be included in the remastering process? Or is it good enough to give would-be custom DVD-producers an ISO and refer them to one of the existing programs that can burn all kinds of DVDs? Could Remaster Express invoke one of these programs and pass the ISO to it for burning?

(2) If DVD-burning needs to be included, is there a need to be able to burn DVD+Rs, -RWs, and +RWs as well as DVD-Rs?

(3) If there is, can somebody assist me in identifying the exact commands for burning DVD+Rs, -RWs, and +RWs from the command line, so I can have Remaster Express invoke these commands?

Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance!

David McClamrock
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

the simplest command:

Code: Select all

growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 /dir-with-you-files
Else, Pburn show commands, so you could easily do some testing.

Sigmund

pa_mcclamrock

#3 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

zigbert wrote:the simplest command:

Code: Select all

growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 /dir-with-you-files
Else, Pburn show commands, so you could easily do some testing.
Thanks! Actually, I was just looking at the same command in /usr/sbin/burniso2cd, where it's said to work for DVD-Rs and -RWs, but nothing is said about DVD+Rs and +RWs. Will the same command work for those too? (See, I have some DVD-Rs to spare, but no DVD-RWs, +Rs, or +RWs, and I'd rather not have to go out and get some to do the testing!) :)
--Linus Torvalds

zigbert

#4 Post by zigbert »

As far as I know (and there have been some feedback during Pburn development) growisofs works for all kinds of DVDs (and blu-rays).

Sigmund

pa_mcclamrock

#5 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

zigbert wrote:As far as I know (and there have been some feedback during Pburn development) growisofs works for all kinds of DVDs (and blu-rays).
OK, I'll hope that was just a mistake in /usr/sbin/remasterpup2 about no DVD+Rs, -RWs, or +RWs! I'm burning a DVD-R with Remaster Express right now, and in just a minute I should find out if I've fixed the last bug in getting the program to display the ultimate "success" message after successfully burning the DVD. (I've already burned DVDs with it, but bugs kept popping up right after the DVDs were finished). . . .

Yes! The last bug of that kind is squashed! I've already tested it with CDs, and it worked. Now I just need to await the package lists from 0pkgs_db for Puppy 4.2 (when it exists), and presumably squash some remaining bugs in the "Remaster Slimmer" portion of the program (for uninstalling built-in packages before remastering). Thanks for your help!
--Linus Torvalds