desktop icon for PupZip

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
GuestToo
Puppy Master

desktop icon for PupZip

#1 Post by GuestToo »

second thoughts about a drag-and-drop desktop icon for PupZip
a roxapp can be a simple wrapper script and can include (optionally) an icon, a tooltip, a context menu, and a Help dir

the icon (.DirIcon) can be a symlink to an icon file (for example, in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/)

help file(s) in Help/ can be symlink(s) to help files in /usr/share/doc

if there's a roxapp wrapper, it can be dragged to the desktop by the Puppy user anytime, removed from the desktop anytime, and dragged to the desktop again if the user wants the icon again

roxapp wrappers can be put in my-roxapps ... or somewhere like /usr/local/apps ... or anywhere ... i think /root/Apps is the "offical" place for users to put roxapps (/root/Apps could be a symlink to /root/my-roxapps anyway)

a wrapper script (AppRun) for PupZip would probably be something like
#!/bin/sh
exec pupzip "$@"

files/dirs can be dragged to the roxapp icon / desktop shortcut and should open with pupzip

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Yes, that's how I've got it setup.
It can be drag-and-drop, or not.
It doesn't have to be an actual icon on the desktop, as it is integrated into Rox anyway.

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

I like the idea of having both: drag and drop and 'send to'.

For people that don't want to have the drag and drop icon on the desktop, they can just delete it.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

That's about how I feel to, except I'm too lazy to remove it so I'll ignore it. Like with the trash can thing. I never use it. In fact, I've never even tried it. I spent all that time training myself to only delete if I'm sure, and to do it by right clicking (rather than dragging or hitting the delete key). Now I can't use the can. But I know other people do, so I just ignore it until I get enough initiative to delete all those other icons I never use along with it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]