How to 'view source' in Opera.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rarsa

How to 'view source' in Opera.

#1 Post by rarsa »

BarryK on news page wrote:I have been playing with Opera 8.51. One of the first things I did was try "Print preview" and text was a mess, overlapping like anything. A bit later I chose "View source" from the menu -- nothing happened. Hmm, both of those work perfectly in Mozilla.
As far as I know, Print preview looks funny just because of the limited screen fonts in Puppy. It looks OK in larger distros.

As for the View source. For whatever reason Opera is configured to use xedit, but it is really easy to change for puppy (I thought I had changed it in my 8.50 dotpup).

"Tools | Preferences | Advanced | Programs" and change the "Source viewer" field to a particular editor such as leafpad or maybe to puppys "defaulttexteditor".

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Rarsa do you feel that Firefox would be better than Opera for Puppy or do you feel a closed source browser is worth pursuing? Opera has been around awhile - the very early versions were pretty dire. Now I believe it is best suited to phones and is always available - but the choices for Puppy are:

Mozilla (boo! Dinosaur)
Firefox (my open source hero)
Opera (Grafpup default)

What do others say?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#3 Post by MU »

On my system Opera is faster in rendering the pages, but it has problems, too.
It caches pages by default (ok, you might deactivate that).
It also "hangs" on several sites, seems to be a Javascript-issue.
While it tries to load it, no other pge can be accessed.

I like that it remembers all open tabs, so i use it by default, and switch to mozilla, if pages block or don't load.
As mozilla works more reliable for me, I would think it should stay the "default"-browser (but did not try Firefox 1.5 yet).

Mark
Ps. Lobster, today I met a german friend that lives in london since 3 years now.
Was very interesting to talk about german / british mentality.
Maybe I can visit him this year, depends on my income.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

As mozilla works more reliable for me, I would think it should stay the "default"-browser (but did not try Firefox 1.5 yet)
You have to live in a browser to appreciate it.
I had to wean myself off of Opera (used it for years) into Firefox and then into Mozilla. I used Flock for about two weeks and found it too early for Puppy. Firefox is simpler and easier to use than Mozilla. These are details but they are important ones.
Ps. Lobster, today I met a german friend that lives in london since 3 years now.
Was very interesting to talk about german / british mentality.
Maybe I can visit him this year, depends on my income.
We have the best exploding buses in the world! (that is the difference)
We laugh at things that should not be. Most of us have more in common (for example my Great Grossmutter was German) than we imagine.

A new year approaches. Puppy is better for all our varied ideas and input. We have a great year ahead of us and I will send a special New Age Blessing of Astral Rainbow Dolphins with the required cash.

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

MU

#5 Post by MU »

A difference is the typical british understatement, that I really like when reading your posts (I often grin then).

I asked him, if this "lobster"-way really is typical, he said "yes".

In his bureau (he is architect), he often sais: "this is shit what we do here".
He says, a british just would say that after the second pint (and forget it after the third one).

I found it quite funny, that he sees it as I do (well of course generalizing is always dangerous, but we just talk about "nuances").

Another thing:
British newspapers (SUN?) sometimes write about the "nazi"-germans, what makes us really upset and angry.
He now explained me, that they have a different understanding.
While a (modern) german thinks of millions of killed jews and feels lot of pain for that (we hate our forefathers for that), british think of "tactical" nation-stuff. They might have problems to accept, that germany had become (beside france) the new european industrial leader, although it had lost the war.
So the word "nazi" for a british implies something different than for a german.
Knowing this, I can be less angry on such statements (but still grumbling).

I really prefer working together so nice as we do nowadays instead of beeing enemies like our forefathers :)

Greets, Mark (now going asleep).

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

Lobster wrote:Rarsa do you feel that Firefox would be better than Opera for Puppy
Although my preferred browser is Opera, I don't think it should be the default browser in Puppy.

I think that by using an open source browser, we can help improve it if nothing else by reporting problems and providing suggestions for improvement. Not only that, the fact that Barry and other developers can have access to the source makes it easier to strip it down, identify bugs and find workarounds.

Now, on the alternate topic:
lobster wrote: Most of us have more in common (for example my Great Grossmutter was German) than we imagine.
Actually I don't have any german background but my seccond language at university was German (two hours a day for three years with German and Swiss teachers). I wish I had kept it. I really like the language. Now I live in Canada in a city with German roots (the original name was Berlin but they changed it in WWI for obvious reasons. there is still a statue of the kaiser Wilheim in the main park). Have I mentioned that it has the larges Oktober fest outside Germany?
While a (modern) german thinks of millions of killed jews and feels lot of pain for that (we hate our forefathers for that), british think of "tactical" nation-stuff.
In other languages it's become synonim of 'strict'. We have the image of Germans being very meticulous and single minded. Of course I've met my share of Germans that are anything but. But Living in Kitchener I've also met many German descendants and they are quite single minded (one right way of doing things).

So, when you hear 'That teacher is a Nazi' it does not mean anything criminal.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

rarsa wrote: I think that by using an open source browser, we can help improve it if nothing else by reporting problems and providing suggestions for improvement. Not only that, the fact that Barry and other developers can have access to the source makes it easier to strip it down, identify bugs and find workarounds.
Very well said that means we should continue with Mozzilla or Firefox. I agree totally with this approach. Puppy is part of an approach as well as a software.
MU wrote:Another thing:
British newspapers (SUN?) sometimes write about the "nazi"-germans, what makes us really upset and angry.
He now explained me, that they have a different understanding.
The Sun is actually owned by an Ozzy - Rupert Murdoch - So I blame them! (oh well maybe not) The SUN needs to be reclassified as a comic. For example it once reported in the edition I was reading that the French hardly ever bath and all French women are prostitutes. Now is that insulting or what? Such insults are prepostorous and against the law and yet it continues to print trash. Everyone is brutalised by war and it is only ever the vested interests of elites - ruling elites, economic and political crimminals that is served by warfare. Of course we can choose to work together. Seems the natural and worthwhile approach. The younger generation is not interested in past, present or future wars. Of course people have the choice to work together - and they normally do .. . . :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

jcoder24

#8 Post by jcoder24 »

MU wrote:I like that it remembers all open tabs
Have you checked out the SessionSaver extension
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... fox&id=436