Flash
Official Dog Handler

Definition of 'Thin Computing'

#1 Post by Flash »

Towards the end of this blog

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Everyone has their own opinion and every dog has it's day.

Or should that read 'Every Puppy has it's day'
:-)

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

I agree, terms should be better defined so as not to cause confusion.
I've asked this on forums before; a diskless client that runs it's own apps., would this be a MEDIUM client?
The terms; "thin" & "thick" could be used for clients that run their own apps., & a "terminal's" apps. run on servers.

jcagle

#4 Post by jcagle »

I've got to disagree with some points made in that article. I haven't finished reading the article though.

It says people shouldn't be saving documents on the local hard drive, but on the server.

The problem is, when you start to work with large files, you really bog down the network. The practice we use at my school is work from a local hard drive, and back up to the server, CD-R, and/or USB flash drive. Trust me, working in Photoshop or Illustrator, you want to do this. If you work over the network or from a USB flash drive, you're asking for trouble.

Maybe it's not so much of a problem with Word documents and such. But really, you don't want to slow down your network.

If the speed of your network is limitless, then go ahead, work from the network. But in most situationns, it's just a bad idea.

I'll probably finish reading the article later.