Puppy 4.2 RC2 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

ttuuxxx

#121 Post by ttuuxxx »

tasmod wrote:Wow, ttuuxxx, you really do need a lesson in diplomacy don't you?

I'm fully aware that the shutdown menu has been posted many times BUT assumed probably like everyone else that it would at least follow themes.

WorldTime had Sydney originally but was changed to Mickos Southport (to suit me) after Micko explained you upside down guys couldn't make your minds up about what time it was. What is it? Oh yes, 5-6 weeks and maybe time changes down there.

If you bothered to look in some of the pwidget configs you would see operational notes explaining how to change to whatever you require.

Me, I'll stick with GMT, we set it, we say so!!
Sydney is only a small dot on the Australian map, but its the Largest City by far, actually its around 1/4 Australia's total population, plus the Capital city Canberra ACT uses the same time. Unlike SouthPort which isn't the same time. I didn't even know Australia had a Southport,lol I knew about the one in the USA, what is the population of SouthPort, I bet its small.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

tasmod

#122 Post by tasmod »

The three times I was interested in were Mickos, Trios and a friend in LA.

We chat via google off forum. Needed to know if they were asleep or not.

In the WorldTime config it explains how to alter GMT+ or - to display time you want.
I just write the odd widget, I can't say how Zigbert makes it interact.

I'm acutely aware of the CPU overhead and did my best to check the timings to ensure low usage.

Widgets are ready out of the box, but not customised.

A bit of detective work and you can lower cpu usage quite a bit. Timings are the key. Can't change 'clocks' they need the cycles but others refresh rate can be lenghtened at some sacrifice to usability.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

ttuuxxx

#123 Post by ttuuxxx »

tasmod wrote:The three times I was interested in were Mickos, Trios and a friend in LA.

We chat via google off forum. Needed to know if they were asleep or not.

In the WorldTime config it explains how to alter GMT+ or - to display time you want.
I just write the odd widget, I can't say how Zigbert makes it interact.

I'm acutely aware of the CPU overhead and did my best to check the timings to ensure low usage.

Widgets are ready out of the box, but not customised.

A bit of detective work and you can lower cpu usage quite a bit. Timings are the key. Can't change 'clocks' they need the cycles but others refresh rate can be lenghtened at some sacrifice to usability.
Ok but to look professional on a world scale, I hope you aren't thinking that the timezones should be set by you and a couple of online chums do you? Really now, Things like Sydney, NewYork, London, Paris, Moscow, Shanghai, Tokyo are what users want, not how to learn and read up on using widgets and coding the changes, Think about new users and retired users who just want things to work out of the box.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

tasmod

#124 Post by tasmod »

Hmm, like applying themes?
Rob
-

tasmod

#125 Post by tasmod »

Writing it for you now.

London and Paris are same Time Zone. The French have long since pushed for GMT to be replaced with Paris time, in the EU.

One of the problems is DST. It's applied locally, differently. Time Zone and Locale don't help there.
Rob
-

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: strange problem connecting to the forum

#126 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:Booted from rc2, connected to the net and started SeaMonkey to go to the forum.
It didn't connect. Time-outs.

I went back to my trusted 4.12 and did the same thing.
No problem to get access to the forum.

Very weird, as I see no reason for this behavior in rc2.
Now, a couple of hours later, I started with 4.12. No problem to connect to the forum. I rebooted with rc2 and got to the forum as well, albeit much slower. Maybe there was a temporary flaw.
Nothing to worry about I suppose.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#127 Post by Béèm »

tasmod wrote:Writing it for you now.

London and Paris are same Time Zone. The French have long since pushed for GMT to be replaced with Paris time, in the EU.

One of the problems is DST. It's applied locally, differently. Time Zone and Locale don't help there.
Yes DST has always been a problem in Puppy/JWM
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pa_mcclamrock

#128 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

ttuuxxx wrote:I'm happy to use your script, as long as its not purple/pink by default:)
It's whatever colors the current GTK+ theme is. To escape all danger that you might have to see it in purple (or pink), just delete Clearlooks-MamaRose and Clearlooks-RoyalPurple2 from /usr/share/themes if you ever find them there. How about this, with the Stardust theme? (Are you watching, Zigbert? Just overlook the IceWM window decorations, OK?) :D

It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

mawebb88

4.2 RC2 on EeePC901 from a USB stick Failed to Start X

#129 Post by mawebb88 »

Tried RC2 from the same bootable USB stick I had successfully tested RC1. First time the save file from my RC1 test was loaded

Result= No icons no menu in fact nothing except the wallpaper and the X cursor!

So deleted the RC1 save file (via my production 4.1.2 booted off the Eee's SSD) and re-booted again from the USB stick.

Result= No icons no menu in fact nothing except the wallpaper and the X cursor!

Restated X (with the key combination) and a message said X had failed. Re-ran the X wizard and tried Vesa this time. Same thing.

Any ideas? Any boot parameter i should try (bearing in mind everything is the same as when I successfully booted RC1)

Mike

hillside

#130 Post by hillside »

This was answered off-line.

If anyone needs to remember how to do this, look here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 26&t=29124

(Thank you to TheBlacksheep.)

----
I'm sorry if this has been dealt with already. There's more communication going on here than I can keep up with.

When trying so set up an smb printer in the new cups I've been using the directions found on the wiki as follows:
----
go to the CUPS configuration page∞ to add a new printer. Under device, specify "windows printer via SAMBA", and for the URI: smb:exact-name-or-IP-address-of-computer-attached-to-the-printer/exact... using the names as shown in LinNeighborhood.
----
But, I don't seem to get the option for a "windows printer via SAMBA".

What I'm presented with are:

Examples:

http://hostname:631/ipp/
http://hostname:631/ipp/port1

ipp://hostname/ipp/
ipp://hostname/ipp/port1

lpd://hostname/queue

socket://hostname
socket://hostname:9100

See "Network Printers" for the correct URI to use with your printer.

----

Am I able to do an smb printer? It's been a long time since I set it up in 4.0, but I remember it being quite straightforward.
Last edited by hillside on Sun 08 Mar 2009, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

Re: strange problem connecting to the forum

#131 Post by WhoDo »

Béèm wrote:Booted from rc2, connected to the net and started SeaMonkey to go to the forum.
It didn't connect. Time-outs.
I think this is a forum issue. I've periodically been getting timeouts - on the forum, on the pages from the forum, etc - and even had a period where I couldn't get in at all due to a 403 page load error. I think it's probably time John did a full reboot again. Heading back to 4.12 and getting in was probably just a coincidence.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

Re: Feedback on Deep THought RC2

#132 Post by WhoDo »

dinky wrote:- touchpad on my eeepc 701 laptop doesn't work out of the box.
Did it work "out of the box" in 4.12?
dinky wrote:- Wireless isn't supported out of the box on either my eeepc 701 or belkin wireless card (dektop pc)
Was it supported "out of the box" in 4.12? Wireless will be rolled back to 4.12 support for next release to resolve some early 4.2 problems.
dinky wrote:- Trash and lock icons are on top of each other on the eeepc 701, under the widgets. On my desktop pc, they are direclty below the widgets, about half way down the screen.
Issue under development for next release.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

Re: Printer probs HPDeskjet710c

#133 Post by WhoDo »

Firefox wrote:My problem is an old one that has not been resolved in terms of old parallel port printers.
There is a patch in the next release to support both parallel port and USB printers that didn't make it into RC2. Try again then or look for Patriot's thread on CUPS and parallel port printing to download and install the patch for yourself.

Hope that helps

WhoDo

#134 Post by WhoDo »

trapster wrote:- Now, how do I get rid of this annoying mouse shadow?
Answered by ttuuxxx - there are 2 other choices for the mouse or you can revert to the standard, non-animated black X cursor.
trapster wrote:- Menu>Secure ssh telnet: "File not found" when using the "Help" button.
Must be a long standing issue since I haven't changed/touched this package for the current release.
trapster wrote:- Menu>System>Conky system monitor: Sits on top of Pwidgets when started. No easy way to shut it off for the noobie. killall conky didn't seem to help pwidgets much.
As explained, Pwidgets IS Conky with some fancy add-ons and plug-ins. I pondered removal of the menu item for Conky and left it in thinking that new users probably wouldn't try something they didn't understand. Didn't count on familiar players, so I'll remove the menu item for the next release.

WhoDo

#135 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote: . . well, there are also five colorful GTK+ themes with no purple in my Clearlooks-Colorschemes .PET (only about 3 KB compressed), which I thought was going to be in RC2, but apparently wasn't. In case you misplaced it, overlooked it, or something, here it is again:
Just an oversight. :oops: I'll look at including for next release, along with RemaX when I get 5 minutes to rebuild 0pkgs_db-420 and upload for you.

WhoDo

#136 Post by WhoDo »

tasmod wrote:what on earth happened to shutoff menu. It's OK but yellow is my least favourite colour and the menu doesn't seem to follow themes.
I had two choices - use aragon's version that fits well with JWM but doesn't match the one in Icewm, or use the Icewm dialog in both wm's. I went with the latter for consistency.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I like ttuuxxx's version, as do a few others (including dinky - see earlier post in this thread). You can manually change the icons used for the dialog if you'd prefer something different/unique. They are in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps along with the current desktop and menu icon theme icons.

WhoDo

#137 Post by WhoDo »

`f00 wrote:p3.2 - an idea struck (maybe PG or someone could look into) about perhaps automating an initial backup, normally I'm never a fan of automation unless it works faultlessly .. but this is one of those things that bites users who may not know or care how the filesystem or layers work. Plus the urge to personalize/'fix' is one of those things that can be a blessing or curse depending on the user and their expectations. Backups are something that's pretty much a given, but how to implement so it works and yet is simple enough to be effective for Joe User? There's almost always something that can make a long drawn-out complex fix a judgement call on whether it's worthwhile or time to walk away.
Best solution might be a warning on the startup page about backing up pup_save-2fs freshly created. A combination of Pschedule and Pbackup should provide the automated solution, so long as the user knows it's there. Both are in this release.
`f00 wrote:p3.14 - Good to see someone finally fixed that fuzzy prawn :) but will Ice always have those odd _s in the mainmenu?
The "odd _s" are deliberate but we are working to provide a standard solution to icons, theme switching and other niceties.
`f00 wrote:p4.6 - oya, a 'fig utility for Ice would be a considerable added value
...IF we can get someone to write one for us. It's a project I've long held as a priority dating back to 2.15CE when I had a basic one written by Jack Tronkel in C (icewmconfig).

WhoDo

#138 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Shouldn't those system links being built be a part of the icon switcher, really isn't that the only time when they need to be built?
Nah, icon2desk builds initial set. Sigmund is right that after that PETget should add a link for each new program and icon2desk would only need to be run once at first start.
ttuuxxx wrote:and like I said only if your changing icon themes should the user have to wait for those links.
Changing themes is an independant operation. The icons in the icon2desk links will automatically change with the theme when the theme is changed ... no need to rebuild or repoint the symlinks.

@All - Any takers for modifying PETget to add a symlink in /root/my-applications/bin for each new application registered?

WhoDo

#139 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:Image
If you're going to enable the dialog button on the left of your window you should turn off the display of the icon - you need one or the other but not both. See default.theme in the theme directory and preferences file in /root/.icewm for the settings.

PS. That advice specifically applies to pa_mcclamrock's chosen icewm theme and is not a general piece of advice regarding his snapshot dialog etc.

WhoDo

#140 Post by WhoDo »

tasmod wrote:Hmm, like applying themes?
...actually, I can have an impact on that. I've been cleaning up the desktop and menu icon themes for the theme-switcher and it wouldn't take too much extra effort to add appropriate icons for ttuuxxx's shutdown dialog to the themes being switched.

@ttuuxxx - how about giving me a blueish version of the dialog icons for inclusion with the Stardust icon theme. That would be really cool - to change the icons and banner in the dialog to match the desktop and menu sets!