Puppy 4.2 RC2 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

WhoDo

Re: 4.2 RC2 on EeePC901 from a USB stick Failed to Start X

#141 Post by WhoDo »

mawebb88 wrote:Any ideas? Any boot parameter i should try (bearing in mind everything is the same as when I successfully booted RC1)
:? Sounds like a bad download to me. Did you check the md5sums? I test these releases on a Sony microvault 256Mb USB stick, so I doubt the problem is in your choice of boot medium.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

`f00

#142 Post by `f00 »

Possibly reformat the stick as well to ensure a clean medium and then do your usual method of installation to stick after a check (like the man says)

pa_mcclamrock

#143 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:If you're going to enable the dialog button on the left of your window you should turn off the display of the icon - you need one or the other but not both. See default.theme in the theme directory and preferences file in /root/.icewm for the settings.

PS. That advice specifically applies to pa_mcclamrock's chosen icewm theme and is not a general piece of advice regarding his snapshot dialog etc.
Thanks--that's not one of my own themes, it's "liQuid," which has been around for years; I picked it for that screenshot because it goes pretty well with Stardust. I'll see about getting rid of either the dialog button (which I hardly ever use) or the icon before I show it in any more screenshots!
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

mawebb88

Re: 4.2 RC2 on EeePC901 from a USB stick Failed to Start X

#144 Post by mawebb88 »

Yes did the md5sum check and was ok. Anyway re-downloaded from a different server (ca) and did the md5sum check again. Ok. Copied the 3 files to my same stick as before and this time booted perfectly. So back on track.

Some other good news. I got the Network Wizard to work for the first time in any Puppy release!! Wonderful.

Will do some more testing latter on Monday (French time)

Rgds Mike from RC2 :)

WhoDo wrote:
mawebb88 wrote:Any ideas? Any boot parameter i should try (bearing in mind everything is the same as when I successfully booted RC1)
:? Sounds like a bad download to me. Did you check the md5sums? I test these releases on a Sony microvault 256Mb USB stick, so I doubt the problem is in your choice of boot medium.

ttuuxxx

#145 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo wrote: @ttuuxxx - how about giving me a blueish version of the dialog icons for inclusion with the Stardust icon theme. That would be really cool - to change the icons and banner in the dialog to match the desktop and menu sets!
WhoDo, WhoDo, WhoDo, I'll bite my lip on this one and work on it, You do know I'm 100% against switching any icons other than the desktop/old system right? I'll do it for the reason you asked and you've been pretty good with everybody.
ttuuxxx
ps below is my square orange icon set to from the earlier post for icewm main menus only,
The actual extract size is 52kb not 92kb it because it replaces the xdg menu, so that is subtracted, and 18kb compressed.
Attachments
squareorange.pet
(17.37 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

NathanO

Threats

#146 Post by NathanO »

WhoDoo Said:
BTW, I don't respond well to threats, Nathan, whether explicit or implicit. Capice?

Sorry, I was not trying threats. If it sounded so, I guess I need to find another Linus, because Puppy does not want me to try an promote it.

technosaurus

#147 Post by technosaurus »

I realize its probably too late to get this in to 4.2, but didn't want you to think I was holding out on you... a more inclusive Puppy Control Panel designed for Deep Thought
Attachments
newpcp.png
(56.97 KiB) Downloaded 651 times
pcp-1.0.pet
(2.6 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

ttuuxxx

Re: Threats

#148 Post by ttuuxxx »

NathanO wrote:WhoDoo Said:
BTW, I don't respond well to threats, Nathan, whether explicit or implicit. Capice?

Sorry, I was not trying threats. If it sounded so, I guess I need to find another Linus, because Puppy does not want me to try an promote it.
I wouldn't go that far Nathan, listen I don't put up with anything and yes I'm lacking diplomacy, due to the fact, I don't muck around when it comes to stability/speed of a system, but when it comes to joking around with the boys, I do my share :) Promoting puppy is a good thing, It looks like maybe at 1 Tim Hortons they might be giving away free puppy based cd's, well I was asked/offered to change it somewhat, It will have a Tim Horton's default theme and kind of like a Fire Hydrant release, eg open office, java, and but still puppy based.
If you need something looked at, say like wireless, go to the wireless section and get it fixed, then come back with a solution, then you'll have a way better shot getting it in the next release if WhoDo chooses so, but things like wireless are usually added because that improves the overall hardware compatibility which everyone wants.
Just don't come in here kicking the door in and demanding, I need this now or I'm not spreading the word. Do you get my drift?
ttuuxxx

trio

Re: Threats

#149 Post by trio »

ttuuxxx wrote:
NathanO wrote:WhoDoo Said:

I wouldn't go that far Nathan, listen I don't put up with anything and yes I'm lacking diplomacy, due to the fact, I don't muck around when it comes to stability/speed of a system, but when it comes to joking around with the boys, I do my share :) Promoting puppy is a good thing, It looks like maybe at 1 Tim Hortons they might be giving away free puppy based cd's, well I was asked/offered to change it somewhat, It will have a Tim Horton's default theme and kind of like a Fire Hydrant release, eg open office, java, and but still puppy based.
If you need something looked at, say like wireless, go to the wireless section and get it fixed, then come back with a solution, then you'll have a way better shot getting it in the next release if WhoDo chooses so, but things like wireless are usually added because that improves the overall hardware compatibility which everyone wants.
Just don't come in here kicking the door in and demanding, I need this now or I'm not spreading the word. Do you get my drift?
ttuuxxx
Well said ttuuxx

And Nathan,

Relax and enjoy, it's like wacthing soap opera...hehehe :)™ I guess whodo (the chief) is just tired..just say the exact problem, and try to solve it here...no demands but info and better yet solutions..will always be needed here..thanks

growler

Volunteers Should not have to take this

#150 Post by growler »

@Nathan0 - we are all volunteers here working for a common goal. It is important that we keep this in mind when making comments. Demotivation of people putting in HUGE amounts of work for us seems to be counterproductive - comments we might have and issues found with testing must always be prefaced with an appreciation of what these guys are doing for us all!! They fix or change things if they want to - this is the nature of volunteer work. It is a shame that there has been some insensitivity here from a few posters.

Obviously you would only promote puppy if you like it - this goes without saying really.

I am sure I am not alone in thanking WhoDo and the team you guys are doing a great job... this is looking like it will be a really polished system.

I also noticed the overhead of pwidgets ... although better than earlier alphas - they look so cool and give the new version a real candy burst.
There is a dilema though unless the system overhead can be trimmed and maybe they should be an option in what is meant to be a small footprint OS (unlike WhoDo's rather more substantial 160kg footprint - another good reason to be nice to him :-)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#151 Post by Flash »

I apologize if this is already known. With 10 pages already in this thread I may have missed it. :)

I like the desktop widgets. I discovered the Pwidgets control panel in 4.2 RC2, and that it has a white clock face (skin) called arne32. I prefer a white clock face. When I tried to switch the clock skin that came with RC2 to the arne32 skin, all the widgets disappeared from the desktop and Pwidgets froze. I restarted Pwidgets and chose clock-analog from the menu, and all the desktop widgets reappeared, the clock now with the skin I wanted.

However, when I rebooted there were again no widgets on the desktop. They reappeared again when I again chose the clock in Pwidgets, but how do I fix it so I don't have to do that?

Also, the calender widget overlaps the "Puppy Space" widget and the "Puppy Linux 4.2" logo overlaps the "lock" icon (which, if I move it, goes back to where it used to be when Puppy reboots. :? ) I can drag the clock around, how come I can't drag the other widgets around on the desktop?

trio

#152 Post by trio »

Flash

I am guessing that you use previous pup_save file right? Please try with fresh start..
If you already use virgin pup_save then maybe you need to adjust sleep (go to pwidgets prefs) and re_apply
Analog_clock is actually xonclock..can be set to move around or not..see /root/.xonclockrc and most of the other widgets are conky based which you cannot move around..thanks

dogone

Encouragement and Thanks

#153 Post by dogone »

Having watched 4.2 development from the beginning and reported a thing or three, I am simply amazed at how well this group has conducted itself. Everyone has (for the most part) displayed saintly patience as issues are identified, reported, addressed and resolved. Evidence the fact that each 4.2 release is significantly better than the preceeding. "Final" will not be perfect nor satisfy everyone, but every contribution between here and there helps. If you're among the dissatisfied, simply step back and take in this miracle of commradship and cooperation and know that you are probably still here because "here" is where your heart is.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#154 Post by Flash »

trio wrote:Flash

I am guessing that you use previous pup_save file right? Please try with fresh start..
I should have mentioned that I updated a multisession DVD from 4.2 RC1 to 4.2 RC2 by burning the RC2 iso onto the DVD with Burniso2cd then saving previous settings and programs when I shut down. I'll try it without saving the settings and see what happens.
If you already use virgin pup_save then maybe you need to adjust sleep (go to pwidgets prefs) and re_apply
Thanks, I'll try that. :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

WhoDo

Re: Encouragement and Thanks

#155 Post by WhoDo »

dogone wrote:Having watched 4.2 development from the beginning and reported a thing or three, I am simply amazed at how well this group has conducted itself. Everyone has (for the most part) displayed saintly patience as issues are identified, reported, addressed and resolved. Evidence the fact that each 4.2 release is significantly better than the preceeding.
One of the differences, which I expected might cause some friction, is that Barry never felt compelled to offer a reason for any of his choices - and rightly so; it was and is his project. I envy him that position. I am not, nor will I ever be, in the same league as Barry so I feel I have to make it clear why I have made most of my choices. I find that transparency and constant communication make cooperation not just easier but indeed possible in the first place.

My one failing is that I don't like to see my crew of devs or their product either criticised unfairly or the subject of unreasonable demands from users who may have made exactly zero contribution (including testing). During the whole 2.15CE development cycle I only lost it once (where are you now, AJ? :wink: ). So far on this project I have only lost it once (sorry Nathan but it seemed to me like you were saying "get your act together or I won't support the project" - a bit harsh considering how much effort has been put in by a whole host of volunteers).

Thank you, dogone, for acknowledging that as a general rule the Puppy community of developers, testers and users have remained remarkably supportive of each other and positive toward the project throughout the whole Deep Thought development cycle. We are nearing the end of that process and I am extemely proud of what these guys have produced, as I'm sure the wider community will be when they have the final result in hand.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

ttuuxxx

#156 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey WhoDo
Here's another Icon theme for icewm menu its only 20kb extrated, because most of the icons are already in puppy and i used system links,
Came out pretty nice, compressed its like 6.5kb lol
also I noticed we have a few double icons, and some really outdated ones,
if you go to
/usr/share/pixmaps
you'll see a inkscape&Gimp icon, which we don't have inkscape or gimp installed, they can be axed, With this last theme I made I included a inscape icon I painfully recoloured so it looks great in the dark/black menus :)
next keep looking in /usr/share/pixmaps
you'll notice glade and gnome,and gnumeric icons, we already have those is you click the gunermic folder you'll see them so you can delete those and system link them from the folder, same with the glade.
we have like 3 abiword icons also in /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/
they can call be deleted and system link /usr/share/icons/abiword_48.png three times and rename it, its a far more modern and better looking icon anyways :), The 48x48 looks great as a renamed 24x24 icon.
Also this theme has a real nice lighting bolt which could replaced, just rename it, including the extension, If you want.
/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/mini-ray.xpm
ttuuxxx
Attachments
regulartype.png
(34.1 KiB) Downloaded 913 times
regulartype.pet
(7.3 KiB) Downloaded 340 times

zigbert

#157 Post by zigbert »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:Are you watching, Zigbert?
:)

zigbert

#158 Post by zigbert »

Whodo wrote:it wouldn't take too much extra effort to add appropriate icons for ttuuxxx's shutdown dialog to the themes being switched.
Please use gtk builtin icons for size and unifying look
Last edited by zigbert on Mon 09 Mar 2009, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

tronkel

#159 Post by tronkel »

Finally got rc2 to print from Officejet G85 using the Gutenprint driver! I think this is the first time since version 4.00 that Puppy printing has worked for me. So I can go back and use Puppy again for everday stuff

I took WhoDo's suggestion and installed hplip. I used the hplip lite version from this forum. It seemed not to work at first, but when I booted my computer this morning, the printer coughed and spluttered into life and then spewed out all the test pages that I had been attempting to print.

Hmm ... reminds me of a car I used to own ..... Hope it all keeps running!

Still haven't got the ATI Radeon driver sorted out yet, but that's not so vital.

So RC2 is looking as if it is getting to final. Kudos to WhoDo, Ttuuxxx and all the other contributors. This is another Puppy classic in the style of 2.15CE.

Would be nice to take one of the Woof versions (when they are mature enough) and give it a Deep Thought makeover.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

WhoDo

#160 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:
Whodo wrote:it wouldn't take too much extra effort to add appropriate icons for ttuuxxx's shutdown dialog to the themes being switched.
Come on, it is just silly having unique icons in the shut down dialog. The dialog is getting bigger than Pburn. Please use gtk builtin icons. This way the dialog might be seen in some puplets.
Ok, which ones? Where do they "live" and are they always there? Remember, Sigmund, I don't do the coding I just read it, so you'll have to lead me by the hand for such things! :P