Puppy 4.2 RC2 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

Aitch

#286 Post by Aitch »

WhoDo

I notice on the wiki todo list - Pctorrent could get a cleaner gui AND P2P client needed

Perhaps a different torrent client altogether which includes P2P, & is maybe more suited to Puppy philosophy?

http://www.linux.com/feature/119250
* Easy Downloading:
Simple keyword search, youtube grid,...

* Wealth of Content:
BitTorrent, YouTube, and Liveleak

* All-in-one Solution:
Serverless P2P File Sharing, VLC player, Divx codecs, Flash plugin, Podcasts, ...

* Intelligent Taste Recognition

* Go beyond BitTorrent...
Youtube demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFvNYVEN2Tc

Apparently it IS ported to linux, but I can't get to the link [I'm on my Win laptop, which only links to Win d/l]

Aitch :)

`f00

#287 Post by `f00 »

…(reads notes on rc2.. after initial testing ".. animal, vegetable or mineral ..", who needs a player when one has the in-head version :lol: ).

1) a surprise the 1st time it happens ;)
Well, when I finally got to the shed for testing, it was time to adjust for DST here .. so
.. better-looking Set date and time *BUT* infreakingcredibly rude-stupid after-the-fact warning of screenblank plus lost sync of setting in the screenblank that is going to PANIC any n00B doing it the 1st time (plus it got the TZ offset wrong in the mssg, not in GMT-8).. bad and/or confusing info in mssgs dressed a bit better for this x-app (I give it a 3 out of 10 for a personal grade) it should absolutely be done better!

big ol' 350kb fulldesk screenie in jwm-beta
I really have to stop talking to myself in xpad(;

2) jwm-mainmenu-Setup-PCP (both in big screenielink above)
a) rc2 one is okay (did I mention a 2tone TT doesn't really seem to say 'country/localization'? ah, l'Orange should do nicely) .. the mix of xmssg, etc doesn't help presentation either (or having dialogs return after they're set, but that's minor and perhaps to be expected for linux gui input)
b) trying the .pet one from Technosaurus .. good job organizing and buttoning the notes (tooltips would have been even better, but :| )

3) very minor niggles with rc2 proper
a) the tray clock still 'jerks' in Jwm (since it's not using a monospace font, DUH)
b) /usr/etc/gtk(symlink to ../../../gtk+-2.12.1/etc/gtk-2.0) seems to be a mistake-warning triangle, deleting the symlink seems to have no ill effects.
c) Switching Gtk theme destroys the desktop contents (kind of same manifest as that 1st jwm tasktray poof) - I should have mentioned this last time (sry) .. whatever widows were up lose prefs (like leafpad) .. see if re-X brings pupevent and the few I had left - YEP (too many gtk themes? seems like .. and I'm sorry but I *must* use my own poor turq41 .. at least until I can do something with MurrinaShadow like I started at one time in the not so distant past and then got sidetracked from completing) yaddayaddayadda
d) in geany-prefs, still no Firefox (default browser) - I usually substitute gtkmoz or leave Fx as a 'dummy' - likely this is merely an obscure remnant pref

4) final notes on some adds
@Pa' - thanks for the fonts (nice selection, especially appreciate a few good monos as recent releases seem to be a bit lacking in readability as far as ttfs go). Another reason I gave up on printers .. cheap inkjets will forever fail at character subtleties.
@WhoDo (orange.tar.gz)
Nice icon theme, wondered where it went (ah, was in the shop) ..

5) addendas while waiting for plmf to load . . . .
pp14.10 and 14.14 - one file association (mime?) that always gets me is .mht (webpage archive like ie and opera do), much of the time if I try to set it Rox associates it as part of the text documents family rather than as an archived webpage .. so I have to undo that 'association' and just use a general open with so it doesn't try to use opera as a default text editor/viewer
p15.8 - used both Xvesa and Xorg (both have strengths and weaknesses) Xvesa is much quicker on reloading X (note also to perhaps change wording of installs - REBOOT is probably a bit much when one only has to reload the X server), also Xvesa maps my sidebutton on the maus as a middlebutton2 (Xorg makes me deathgrip and scrollwheelpress :( ) .. doubtless more minor messing about is indicated with xorg.conf :P

jwm-beta is fine in RC2, lol a Q for Quit buttonmask..
rrreeellleeeaaassse the 3rd hound!

pa_mcclamrock

#288 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:Won't get done [with Remaster Express] before I have to go to work this morning, but should be done by this evening (Saturday morning in Australia) or, at the latest, tomorrow morning (Saturday evening in Australia).
Good morning, Australia, how are you? :D Here it is, still only about 26 KB compressed. Everything should be pretty obvious from the built-in documentation the user sees at every step. I can't find any more bugs to squash--anyone who can, please let me know at once. Prompt action promised on all bug reports!
Attachments
remax-4.2.pet
(25.91 KiB) Downloaded 1267 times
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

01micko

#289 Post by 01micko »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:
pa_mcclamrock wrote:Won't get done [with Remaster Express] before I have to go to work this morning, but should be done by this evening (Saturday morning in Australia) or, at the latest, tomorrow morning (Saturday evening in Australia).
Good morning, Australia, how are you? :D Here it is, still only about 26 KB compressed. Everything should be pretty obvious from the built-in documentation the user sees at every step. I can't find any more bugs to squash--anyone who can, please let me know at once. Prompt action promised on all bug reports!
G'day Pa!

I'm sure by the time you wake up tomorrow you'll be downloading rc3!

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

panzerpuppy

#290 Post by panzerpuppy »

Hurry up with the release...my DVD rewriter is hungry :D
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Sat 14 Mar 2009, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#291 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:I'm sure by the time you wake up tomorrow you'll be downloading rc3!
Oh, he won't have to wait THAT long! :P

@pa_mcclamrock - I have RC3 ready to build with only your package to add. If there are no missing dependencies when I build, it will be uploaded today (within an hour or so IOW). :wink:

Of course it won't work unless I also upload 0pkgs_db-420 to ibiblio.org, so I hope things are working there at the moment.

Woohoo! Here comes RC3! :lol:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

ttuuxxx

#292 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi guys on the previous page I released the control Panel application I compiled, below is an example from the website how how it should look once you add the applications, If anyone wants to add the applications and submit it feel free to, Just give me a heads up that your doing it, so I don't :) I'm real busy trying to finish this VLC and Seamonkey full, Hey WhoDo with this Seamonkey package do you want, monkey menus and theme changed? like the current model? Or just your plain run of the mill Seamonkey.
ttuuxxx
http://www.rillion.net/tabble/
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

WhoDo

#293 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Hey WhoDo with this Seamonkey package do you want, monkey menus and theme changed? like the current model? Or just your plain run of the mill Seamonkey.
New theme and monkey menus please. 8) Consistency is the key. When/If users upgrade to the full package, it should still retain the current look in all components.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#294 Post by WhoDo »

`f00 wrote:.. better-looking Set date and time *BUT* infreakingcredibly rude-stupid after-the-fact warning of screenblank plus lost sync of setting in the screenblank that is going to PANIC any n00B doing it the 1st time (plus it got the TZ offset wrong in the mssg, not in GMT-8).. bad and/or confusing info in mssgs dressed a bit better for this x-app (I give it a 3 out of 10 for a personal grade) it should absolutely be done better!
I'm sure one of our devs will be happy to give this one the once-over before we release Final. Can't be scaring no noobs, eh? :P
`f00 wrote:a) rc2 one is okay (did I mention a 2tone TT doesn't really seem to say 'country/localization'? ah, l'Orange should do nicely) .. the mix of xmssg, etc doesn't help presentation either (or having dialogs return after they're set, but that's minor and perhaps to be expected for linux gui input)
Feedback is King? I spotted the use of the TrueType logo for country some time back and changed it in the menus. I haven't had time to go chasing the call in the scripts ... yet. Your point is valid.
`f00 wrote:3) very minor niggles with rc2 proper
a) the tray clock still 'jerks' in Jwm (since it's not using a monospace font, DUH)
b) /usr/etc/gtk(symlink to ../../../gtk+-2.12.1/etc/gtk-2.0) seems to be a mistake-warning triangle, deleting the symlink seems to have no ill effects.
Tray clock is user-configurable. Wouldn't want to spoil their fun. Symlink was a roundtoit dependency that never got one.
`f00 wrote: c) Switching Gtk theme destroys the desktop contents (kind of same manifest as that 1st jwm tasktray poof) - I should have mentioned this last time (sry) .. whatever widows were up lose prefs (like leafpad) .. see if re-X brings pupevent and the few I had left - YEP (too many gtk themes?
Nope. Code issue in jwmrc-tray that is fixed in the next release among many other things. Yours is maybe a hangover from RC1?
`f00 wrote: d) in geany-prefs, still no Firefox (default browser) - I usually substitute gtkmoz or leave Fx as a 'dummy' - likely this is merely an obscure remnant pref
Nope. Geany supplied defaults that are user-configurable again.
`f00 wrote:4) final notes on some adds
@WhoDo (orange.tar.gz)
Nice icon theme, wondered where it went (ah, was in the shop) ..
Yep. Back for good and default in RC3.
`f00 wrote:5) addendas while waiting for plmf to load . . . .
pp14.10 and 14.14 - one file association (mime?) that always gets me is .mht (webpage archive like ie and opera do), much of the time if I try to set it Rox associates it as part of the text documents family rather than as an archived webpage .. so I have to undo that 'association' and just use a general open with so it doesn't try to use opera as a default text editor/viewer
I think .mht is a Windows web archive format. I don't know whether Firefox/Seamonkey/Opera have caught up with that but if Opera has so have the others. Will look into the mime-type association for .mht before Final.

Thanks for the report, 'f00. Yours are always entertaining ... a bit like cryptic crosswords in a way! :P

WhoDo

#295 Post by WhoDo »

Aitch wrote:Perhaps a different torrent client altogether which includes P2P, & is maybe more suited to Puppy philosophy?
A wolf in sheep's clothing, Aitch... like a hybrid car built around a V8 engine; this requires Python which puts it out of our league unfortunately.

Nice thought though. :wink:

ttuuxxx

#296 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo wrote:
`f00 wrote:.. better-looking Set date and time *BUT* infreakingcredibly rude-stupid after-the-fact warning of screenblank plus lost sync of setting in the screenblank that is going to PANIC any n00B doing it the 1st time (plus it got the TZ offset wrong in the mssg, not in GMT-8).. bad and/or confusing info in mssgs dressed a bit better for this x-app (I give it a 3 out of 10 for a personal grade) it should absolutely be done better!
I'm sure one of our devs will be happy to give this one the once-over before we release Final. Can't be scaring no noobs, eh? :P
Here try this one :)
ttuuxxx
Attachments
Set-Time-Date.pet
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 1308 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

wkr

Xvesa

#297 Post by wkr »

Xvesa tested in RC2. It works fine (graphic card = Intel Extreme Graphics)

ecube

RC2 keymaps

#298 Post by ecube »

There is a peculiar bug in Puppy's handling of non-us keyboard layout
The Xorg driver shows the correct characters but the console and Xvesa do not.

I thought the problem could be rectified by uppdating the keymaps directory.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=268318

This turned out to be only partly true. There are maps working correctly e.g sv-latin1.map and fi-latin1.map but others like fi.map are apparently identical to the existing one and suffer from the same malady.

In rc2 WhoDo? replaced /etc/rc.d/rc.country by my updated version, but left the old version of /usr/share/kbd/keymaps unchanged. As the old keymap directory is a subset of the kbd-1.14.1 one, this makes no difference at all.

I see no reason for including the complete set of kbd-1.14.1 keymaps into Puppy. Maybe my proposed subset is sufficient. The complete set could be added as a PET package..

WhoDo, if you think it is worthwhile to change the keymaps replace the
directory /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386 by the attached i386 file. You can run rc.country_test to check the appearance during the boot sequence.

My choice of keymaps is mostly based on guessing. So suggestions about what should be removed or added are most welcome. :D
Attachments
rc.country_test.gz
Usage: Exit to prompt, sh rc.country_test
(2.12 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
i386.tar.gz
/usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386
(35.88 KiB) Downloaded 1311 times
keyboardWizard.png
(24.44 KiB) Downloaded 2540 times

WhoDo

Re: RC2 keymaps

#299 Post by WhoDo »

ecube wrote:WhoDo, if you think it is worthwhile to change the keymaps replace the directory /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386 by the attached i386 file. You can run rc.country_test to check the appearance during the boot sequence.
Downloaded for inclusion, ecube. Thanks.

esmourguit

#300 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour,
@Whodo,
Here a fixed /usr/sbin/petget localized.
Tested in RC3 instead of original. Can you test yourself?
Cordialement ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]