Puppy 4.2 RC2 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

MinHundHettePerro

Re: Wallpaper blend-paper

#31 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Last edited by MinHundHettePerro on Sat 16 May 2009, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

WhoDo

#32 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:
WhoDo wrote:Wish I knew, David. I've not seen that before EVER! :? Seems you may have managed to copy a corrupt version of ROX into your pup_save file somehow and it's sitting in a layer above the inbuilt original.
I think not, for at least three reasons: (1) I booted pfix=ram so there was nowhere for a corrupt file to come from; (2) my previous pup_save file didn't contain a corrupt version of ROX; (3) I looked in /usr/local/bin and there was no ROX listed at all; there was neither a corrupt nor an incorrupt version.
When you first run ROX is called from the pup_420.sfs file into RAM. If it crashes there, or corrupts, or whatever, it is possible that the system will think you deleted it and cover the original with a .wh file at the higher level. You won't see ROX (not even the original) and the system will believe it doesn't exist. Those are the joys of a layered file system. The good news is that the original, uncorrupted ROX binary is still there and appears again when you delete the pup_save file along with the .wh mask file that prevents it from being seen.

You could even copy the original back from /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/local/bin but only IF you have another working file manager that will let you do that.
pa_mcclamrock wrote:
Delete your pup_save file and try again from a clean install.
Done. No problem now. But I wish I knew what caused the problem before, and whether any other users are going to have it!
Could be flakey RAM, power transients, etc. It doesn't take much to cause a problem for a mounted squash file system (pup_save IOW) to have a bit or two throw things out. That's why you should always make a clean copy of your working pup_save before doing anything critical.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

Re: CUPS setup -> 100% CPU

#33 Post by WhoDo »

dogone wrote:Htop reports immediate jump to 100% CPU and indicates CUPS is pulling ~93%

- close CUPS dialog
- no change in CPU utilization
- use Htop to kill CUPS process
- CPU utilization drops to <10%
- attempt to re-run CUPS wizard
- "Page Load Error" appears indicating "Failed to connect..."

The above is repeatable.
There is evidently a misbehaving cups daemon at work here. I noticed a problem with earlier CUPS installations but haven't had a repeat since. The daemon simply refuses to throttle back after completing some operation or other.

Next time instead of killing the process, try manually stopping CUPS and then restarting it again from the CLI.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#34 Post by WhoDo »

MinHundHettePerro wrote:Ain't going to pursue it further, as I'm more than happy (and familiar) with my backdrop of >15 years. Just reported an observation I made, I will not, personally, use any of the supplied wallpapers.
>15 years with the same backdrop!?!? :shock: That's gotta be some sort of record, MHHP! :P :lol:

NathanO

RC2

#35 Post by NathanO »

On Tower got CUPS to find HP1220C on LPT1 which it did not work on RC1. Still works okay with USB on both machines.

On HP Pavilion zv6100 Laptop could not get to the internet at all on eth0, no problem with 3.x and 4.1.x. On RC1 it took several reboots. Driver is same 8139too.

Does not see wirless B43 at all on Laptop. 3.x and 4.1.x do and work most of the time.

MinHundHettePerro

#36 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Last edited by MinHundHettePerro on Sat 16 May 2009, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

Re: RC2

#37 Post by WhoDo »

NathanO wrote:On Tower got CUPS to find HP1220C on LPT1 which it did not work on RC1. Still works okay with USB on both machines.

On HP Pavilion zv6100 Laptop could not get to the internet at all on eth0, no problem with 3.x and 4.1.x. On RC1 it took several reboots. Driver is same 8139too.

Does not see wirless B43 at all on Laptop. 3.x and 4.1.x do and work most of the time.
Can't say what the problem might be with the 8139too driver for normal ethernet.

As for wireless, try renaming /lib/modules/2.6.25.16/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/r8180 folder to !!!r8180, save and reboot. Both brymway and 01micko have reported success with similar workarounds.

Hope that helps

jabu2

ipw2200 wireless non recognition

#38 Post by jabu2 »

posted at end of rc1 thread - it seems this is not yet completely fixed in rc2, so posted again here.

wireless ipw 2200 recognition problem reported by several (minnesota, brymway etc):
o1mick has now given a solution

I went into /lib/modules/2.6.25.16/kernel/drivers/net/wireless and renamed the r8180 folder--!!!r8180, saved and rebooted and my wireless now works.

Apparently this works - being confirmed by one other so far
But for new or old users it is not a full fix yet.

can we please fix it for rc3 so that no file hacking is required?

Many thanks in anticipation of wirelessly testing rc3

PS Nice to hear all the young 'uns life stories - haven't needed the TV all week.

WhoDo

Re: ipw2200 wireless non recognition

#39 Post by WhoDo »

jabu2 wrote:can we please fix it for rc3 so that no file hacking is required?

Many thanks in anticipation of wirelessly testing rc3
The fix was only evident AFTER the RC2 release was uploaded or it would have been patched before I uploaded it. ITM I have asked tempestuous to look at the wireless problems for a more permanent solution, if he has the time and the inclination. After all we are all VOLUNTEERS!

It would be nice if we had Warren Woodford's resources (Ubuntu founder) to throw at these issues, but I believe we still manage to produce a better, faster, more efficient OS with just a little personal commitment and patience. :wink:

Cheers, from one of "the young 'uns". :P

dogone

#40 Post by dogone »

WhoDo wrote:
dogone wrote:Htop reports immediate jump to 100% CPU and indicates CUPS is pulling ~93%

- close CUPS dialog
- no change in CPU utilization
- use Htop to kill CUPS process
- CPU utilization drops to <10%
- attempt to re-run CUPS wizard
- "Page Load Error" appears indicating "Failed to connect..."

The above is repeatable.
There is evidently a misbehaving cups daemon at work here. I noticed a problem with earlier CUPS installations but haven't had a repeat since. The daemon simply refuses to throttle back after completing some operation or other.

Next time instead of killing the process, try manually stopping CUPS and then restarting it again from the CLI.

Hope that helps.
SIGKILL (via Htop or kill -9) appears required to squash cupsd post runaway. SIGTERM doesn't cut it. Does this tell us anything?

WhoDo

#41 Post by WhoDo »

dogone wrote:SIGKILL (via Htop or kill -9) appears required to squash cupsd post runaway. SIGTERM doesn't cut it. Does this tell us anything?
Well it doesn't tell ME anything, because I'm not that good :P , but I'm sure hoping it will speak volumes to Dougal, Patriot, ttuuxxx or one of the other devs quietly working away in the background! Thanks for trialling, dogone.

Cheers

jabu2

ipw 2200 non-recognition

#42 Post by jabu2 »

Thanks WhoDo - sorry my post crossed with uploading rc2

can I just mention again that this problem was not a problem with 4.1.2 (confirmed by others) That version recognised wireless interface and ipw220 drivers loaded every time - and works.

so seems to me not likely to be a kernel or fundamental problem?

- minnesota detected file differences in 4.2 rc1 from 4.1.2 and gave samples (back on p4 of rc1 thread)

I am not knowledgeable enough to know if he/she was onto something, but if correct this seems like a short cut to a soution.....?

trying to help. ATVB (all the very best)

WhoDo

Re: ipw 2200 non-recognition

#43 Post by WhoDo »

jabu2 wrote:can I just mention again that this problem was not a problem with 4.1.2 (confirmed by others) That version recognised wireless interface and ipw220 drivers loaded every time - and works.

so seems to me not likely to be a kernel or fundamental problem?
Agreed. :idea: I think I remember patching the wireless drivers early in the Alpha cycle for 4.2, and I think it's that patch that is masking the earlier (working) driver set. That's why deleting that directory, or renaming it, works; it takes the driver set back to the inbuilt ones from the kernel.
jabu2 wrote: - minnesota detected file differences in 4.2 rc1 from 4.1.2 and gave samples (back on p4 of rc1 thread)

I am not knowledgeable enough to know if he/she was onto something, but if correct this seems like a short cut to a soution.....?

trying to help. ATVB (all the very best)
Help is always welcome, jabu2. :wink: The file differences reported relate to the updated driver set vs the original set. It gave me the clue as to why the problem existed but not how to correct it without reverting to the earlier driver set. I'm hoping tempestuous will have a solution. If he doesn't then I'll simply roll back to the 4.12 driver set and leave it there. 8)

ttuuxxx

#44 Post by ttuuxxx »

Ok I finally loaded up 4.2RC2 and well this is what I found
- a whole row of icons was moved in icewm to where the pwidgets sits and then gets trashed by pwidgets, That never happened before? Why now?
The xdg menu that I supplied with the last icewm package I provided wasn't used or was ignored, I had changed
prog "Shutdown" shutdown24 /usr/bin/shutdown
to
prog "Shutdown" exit24.png /usr/bin/shutdown
that is a way better look to the icons and matches the Refresh Menus icon perfectly.
Also the new Seamonkey icon wasn't used, That took hours to improve and its actually3/4 smaller than the default icon.

below is images of what I'm talking about.
ttuuxxx
Attachments
before.png
(12.8 KiB) Downloaded 1643 times
after.png
(14.79 KiB) Downloaded 1653 times
before1.png
(11.5 KiB) Downloaded 1605 times
after1.png
(13.54 KiB) Downloaded 1635 times
icewm.jpg
(84.68 KiB) Downloaded 1267 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

#45 Post by ttuuxxx »

also beside the time on the taskbar theres a extra "space" thats using the "space" from the clock, which I don't think I have a space icone being used before the numbers, and if you switch to the 'Citrus' theme you'll see a black box, any ideas? Oh is this one for my new list of things to do ?
ttuuxxx
Attachments
whatsThis.png
(7.55 KiB) Downloaded 1614 times

ttuuxxx

#46 Post by ttuuxxx »

OHHHHHHHH could it be the battery monitor???
has anyone tried IceWm on a laptop and see if the battery monitor is working in that locations???????????????
Please try it and report back
ttuuxxx

trio

#47 Post by trio »

ttuuxxx wrote:also beside the time on the taskbar theres a extra "space" thats using the "space" from the clock, which I don't think I have a space icone being used before the numbers, and if you switch to the 'Citrus' theme you'll see a black box, any ideas? Oh is this one for my new list of things to do ?
ttuuxxx
I think that's battery meter not in use (you're using desktop)

Edit: ooh , you knew

ttuuxxx

#48 Post by ttuuxxx »

well I enabled the battery monitor with the last release, because people asked for it, but I'm using a desktop so I don't know for sure if its a battery monitor or some new issue that I have to fix up. If its the battery monitor then well its up to WhoDo if it stays or goes, But if its a new issue then I'll have to work it out I guess.
ttuuxxx

WhoDo

#49 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:- a whole row of icons was moved in icewm to where the pwidgets sits and then gets trashed by pwidgets, That never happened before? Why now?
Beats me! I haven't changed either the PuppyPin or the globicons files for ages, so it's a video mode detection thing, I think. Something in one of Barry's scripts is picking up the icon locations and putting them over that side when it detects a particular resolution. I think I even read it in one of his scripts when I was looking for why Xlock starts top right when I wanted it bottom right.
ttuuxxx wrote:The xdg menu that I supplied with the last icewm package I provided wasn't used or was ignored, I had changed
prog "Shutdown" shutdown24 /usr/bin/shutdown
to
prog "Shutdown" exit24.png /usr/bin/shutdown
that is a way better look to the icons and matches the Refresh Menus icon perfectly.
I definitely used, and didn't ignore, your xdg menu template as supplied BUT I modified both the jwm and icewm templates to use refresh24 and shutdown24 and then copied the Deep Thought versions of those files to the /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps directory so the first level menu would be consistent from top to bottom. That choice was also made to fit with the icon naming rules being developed for desktop/menu icon themes so that themes will switch properly. No slight intended.

Your icons are not consistent with the Deep Thought set. That said, I don't particularly like the Deep Thought set, but at least they should be consistent. Seeing two entirely different icons at the bottom of an otherwise consistent top level menu sends a bad message about the polish of the whole distro and causes incongruity with the other icon sets when switched. Unfortunately, I missed copying refresh from the Deep Thought set over the top of your refresh24 version so the Refresh Menus icon still stands out differently from the rest of the menu in your snapshot. I will correct that for the next release.
ttuuxxx wrote:Also the new Seamonkey icon wasn't used, That took hours to improve and its actually3/4 smaller than the default icon.
I definitely didn't change that one! Your new absvolume and launch tray icons are there so why the Seamonkey icon didn't land I've no idea. The menu is still picking up the old 16x Seamonkey icon from /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons which is why the uglier icon is in the menu. I'll go back and have a look to see why the new icon didn't come across.

BTW, the battery monitor works on my laptop - sits next to the clock and pronounces 99p (I presume that's 99%).

Jeff, please don't be offended when I make (minor) decisions about consistency in the interface for what I believe to be the good of the release. I have also changed the Odelite theme to Look=flat, even though I know you prefer the Look=gtk so you get the menu button animations. Again, it's about polish and consistency and not a personal reflection on you, your obvious talent or what you personally think looks best.

BTW2, I also think that if we can find the space your BRDelite theme should revert to the bubble title bar and buttons while ODelite stays with the full width title bar, and I'd like to see your Sand theme with a matching title bar and buttons. These are not criticisms but simply suggestions for what I think will suit our audience.

I've been sitting here working in RC2 for several hours, printing (hooray!) to my Canon ip4600 printer, playing with applications to try and see if I can break anything and zip ... nada ... nothing! Not a single glitch anywhere! It all just works! That's a credit to you and the other devs, your commitment and your persistence. You and they should be rightly proud of what will be the upcoming Final edition, so please don't sweat the small stuff, ok?

Cheers, mate.

ttuuxxx

#50 Post by ttuuxxx »

ok so now we have the battery monitor workiing out of the box, thats a nice leap forward, and CUps looks like its doing the right thing for once :)
I would be 100% happy to remove the flat orange icons from the menu and replace them with the regular icons, if you say 'do it, ttuuxxx' I would be more than happy to :)
hey WhoDo can place a pic of the battery monitor working on icewm please?
thanks
ttuuxxx