Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Nov 2014, 18:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 4.x
Puppy 4.2 RC2 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes
Page 6 of 20 [300 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 18, 19, 20 Next
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 05:22    Post subject:  

Billwho? wrote:
WhoDo wrote:
and I just don't believe I'm enough of a dork to wear glasses taped together at the corners. Embarassed

Try fuse wire through the screw hole to twitch them together. No where near as obvious.Cool

Now THAT'S a suggestion I've not heard before. I'll go hunting for some fuse wire ASAP. Thanks, Bill!

trio

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 07:56    Post subject:  

Hi

Just dowloaded and try rc2..wireless module setup ok, but cannot find wireless network...reboot using rc1 pupsave, wireless ok. I think the biggest bug on the list is only wireless. It has to be fixed once and for all...

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 08:00    Post subject: Pwireless
Subject description: 4.2 rc2

Someone did a report on Pwireless not present/working?
I have no problems.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 08:03    Post subject: strange problem connecting to the forum  

Booted from rc2, connected to the net and started SeaMonkey to go to the forum.
It didn't connect. Time-outs.

I went back to my trusted 4.12 and did the same thing.
No problem to get access to the forum.

Very weird, as I see no reason for this behavior in rc2.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
dinky

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 08:03    Post subject: Feedback on Deep THought RC2  

Hi guys, just trying Deep Thought RC2, and have some feedback to leave for you. Firstly, overall I think you folks have done a great job. Well done, and I look forward to a final release. Secondly, all views expressed below are just that, my own views. It's not my aim to upset anyone who has spent time taking puppy forward, nor to create conflict where it's not necessary. Use what you can, and leave the rest:

- Default theme is brilliant, and right away impressed me. I also really like the initial splash screen on boot-up, very professional.

- I love the idea of the widgets, but they don't deliver the goods. My issue is that they slow down the desktop considerably. On initial bootup they take several seconds to appear, and to change any configuration (adding or removing widgets) they want to reload the desktop. Also, changing desktop backgrounds is a nightmare, and very, very, slow. While I can appreciate what's trying to be achieved, they don't deliver, and shouldn't be included in their current state. Puppy's speed is the operating system's best trait, the gloss has always been secondary. I think at best the widgets should be an optional extra, not activated by default. For me to use deep thought rc2, I'll need to deactivate the widgets.

- touchpad on my eeepc 701 laptop doesn't work out of the box.

- I really love the shutdown dialogue! Well done!

- great idea with icewm, looks very cool.

- Wireless isn't supported out of the box on either my eeepc 701 or belkin wireless card (dektop pc)

- Trash and lock icons are on top of each other on the eeepc 701, under the widgets. On my desktop pc, they are direclty below the widgets, about half way down the screen.

- All the above has been tested on my eeepc 701 (800 x 480 screen res, 900 mhz processor) and my desktop pc (1024 x 768 screen res, and 3.0 ghz processor).
pa_mcclamrock

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 08:06    Post subject:  

Not that I wish to inflict any further supposed injury on Zigbert's feet, but . . . I was noticing that the new mtPaint screenshot capture script is greatly improved in functionality, but not in looks. Here's a little Tcl/Gnocl script to improve the looks (if you don't like purple, just substitute another GTK+ theme) and let the user select the exact number of seconds to wait. (The script does get rid of the screen-shooting window before the screenshot is taken, but I had temporarily modified it so it could take a picture of itself.) If you think this is worth a couple hundred extra bytes, after looking at this screenshot . . .

. . . then just substitute this code for the existing contents of /usr/bin/mtpaintsnapshot.sh:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env tclsh
package require Gnocl
set now [gnocl::button -text "Capture Now!" -onClicked {
   $win delete
   update
   exec mtpaint -s
}]
set can [gnocl::button -text "Cancel" -onClicked {$win delete}]
set nowbox [gnocl::box -orientation horizontal \
   -children [list $now $can] -fill {1 1} -expand 1]
set wait [gnocl::button -text "Wait: " -onClicked snap]
set secs 10
set num [gnocl::spinButton -digits 0 -variable secs]
set blab [gnocl::label -text " seconds"]
set waitbox [gnocl::box -orientation horizontal \
   -children [list $wait $num $blab] -fill {1 1} -expand 1]
set bigbox [gnocl::box -orientation vertical \
   -children [list $nowbox $waitbox]]
set win [gnocl::window -child $bigbox -title "mtPaint Capture"]
proc snap {} {
   $::wait configure -text "Waiting"
   after [expr {$::secs * 1000}] {
      $::win delete
      update
      exec mtpaint -s
   }
}

Visit Pa Penguin's Icebox: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icebox.html
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 08:21    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Deep THought RC2  

dinky wrote:
.........I love the idea of the widgets, but they don't deliver the goods. My issue is that they slow down the desktop considerably. On initial bootup they take ....

Understood Dinky, and the latest Pwidgets is faster (not in RC2). We are going after the 'bling' factor... sex sells..... you know what I mean.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers mate

Last edited by 01micko on Sun 08 Mar 2009, 08:24; edited 2 times in total
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 08:22    Post subject:  

trio wrote:
Just dowloaded and try rc2..wireless module setup ok, but cannot find wireless network...reboot using rc1 pupsave, wireless ok. I think the biggest bug on the list is only wireless. It has to be fixed once and for all...

It will be ... in RC3/Final coming soon (well not too soon, but soon). Cool There was a rogue driver set that I added early in the Alpha series which was masking the internal driver support. I have removed that for the next release and I expect wireless will work at least as well as it did in 4.12 .. we'll see, eh? Wink

Use the workaround mentioned earlier in this thread in the meantime, or just persist with your earlier pup_save.2fs which should have the working wireless driver bound already.

trio

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 08:25    Post subject:  

pa_mcclamrock wrote:
Not that I wish to inflict any further supposed injury on Zigbert's feet, but . . . I was noticing that the new mtPaint screenshot capture script is greatly improved in functionality, but not in looks. Here's a little Tcl/Gnocl script to improve the looks (if you don't like purple, just substitute another GTK+ theme) and let the user select the exact number of seconds to wait. (The script does get rid of the screen-shooting window before the screenshot is taken, but I had temporarily modified it so it could take a picture of itself.) If you think this is worth a couple hundred extra bytes, after looking at this screenshot . . .

. . . then just substitute this code for the existing contents of /usr/bin/mtpaintsnapshot.sh:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env tclsh
package require Gnocl
set now [gnocl::button -text "Capture Now!" -onClicked {
   $win delete
   update
   exec mtpaint -s
}]
set can [gnocl::button -text "Cancel" -onClicked {$win delete}]
set nowbox [gnocl::box -orientation horizontal \
   -children [list $now $can] -fill {1 1} -expand 1]
set wait [gnocl::button -text "Wait: " -onClicked snap]
set secs 10
set num [gnocl::spinButton -digits 0 -variable secs]
set blab [gnocl::label -text " seconds"]
set waitbox [gnocl::box -orientation horizontal \
   -children [list $wait $num $blab] -fill {1 1} -expand 1]
set bigbox [gnocl::box -orientation vertical \
   -children [list $nowbox
$waitbox]]
set win [gnocl::window -child $bigbox -title "mtPaint Capture"]
proc snap {} {
   $::wait configure -text "Waiting"
   after [expr {$::secs * 1000}] {
      $::win delete
      update
      exec mtpaint -s
   }
}

Hey, that looks much better actually..

WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 08:28    Post subject:  

pa_mcclamrock wrote:
Here's a little Tcl/Gnocl script to improve the looks (if you don't like purple, just substitute another GTK+ theme) and let the user select the exact number of seconds to wait.

I love it, pa ... well ... NOT the purple, but the script. I'll add it to RC3/Final. Thanks. Cool

dinky

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 08:32    Post subject:  

Quote:
dinky wrote:
.........I love the idea of the widgets, but they don't deliver the goods. My issue is that they slow down the desktop considerably. On initial bootup they take ....

Understood Dinky, and the latest Pwidgets is faster (not in RC2). We are going after the 'bling' factor... sex sells..... you know what I mean.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers mate

Awesome. Really looking forward to seeing the final release. Great work so far.

~dinky
NathanO

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 08:39    Post subject: Wirless  

WhoDoo said:

As for wireless, try renaming /lib/modules/2.6.25.16/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/r8180 folder to !!!r8180, save and reboot. Both brymway and 01micko have reported success with similar workarounds.

--------------

Trying to keep it to a live CD for showing at the computer shows, If I change my CD and the release is not changed then I am not showing people Puppy.

Nathan
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 08:52    Post subject: Re: Wirless  

NathanO wrote:
Trying to keep it to a live CD for showing at the computer shows, If I change my CD and the release is not changed then I am not showing people Puppy.

Ahem... that's your choice. Rolling Eyes Puppy will neither live nor die simply because you decided one way or the other. The next release will have the workaround embedded so the wireless problems should be fixed by then. We'll see.

BTW, I don't respond well to threats, Nathan, whether explicit or implicit. Capice? Evil or Very Mad

We're all just volunteers trying to do our best with what we've got. If you want better hardware support than we can provide here, then consider ... umm ... well actually there really isn't anything else to consider, is there? Even Ubuntu is battling broken drivers these days... *sigh* Shocked

Firefox

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 09:18    Post subject: Printer probs HPDeskjet710c  

I`ve downloaded 4.2rc2 and it works and looks great on a Full hard disk install.
My problem is an old one that has not been resolved in terms of old parallel port printers.
I have a HP Deskjet710c that runs ok on Pup vers 3 series after installing /modifying PPD file and putting it in usr/share/cups/model.--Very few ppds in Vers4.
I also have to load the devx squash file and compile pnm2ppa-1.12.tar.gz into the system.
This usually runs ok on CUPS ver 1.2.x series.
However on the pup4 series , these tricks don`t work! I have trouble understanding how to get around the latest cups and all I ever get is an ` lioerror ` in -outpage- .

How do I remove the Cups package so that I can install the old one and try to regain printing to parallel port.?
trio

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2009, 09:36    Post subject: Re: Wirless  

WhoDo wrote:
NathanO wrote:

Ahem... that's your choice. Rolling Eyes Puppy will neither live nor die simply because you decided one way or the other. The next release will have the workaround embedded so the wireless problems should be fixed by then. We'll see.

BTW, I don't respond well to threats, Nathan, whether explicit or implicit. Capice? Evil or Very Mad

We're all just volunteers trying to do our best with what we've got. If you want better hardware support than we can provide here, then consider ... umm ... well actually there really isn't anything else to consider, is there? Even Ubuntu is battling broken drivers these days... *sigh* Shocked

Easy there...easy....

Page 6 of 20 [300 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 18, 19, 20 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 4.x
Jump to: