QEMU-Puppy: tips on running Linux in Windows

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
dtopham

QEMU-Puppy: tips on running Linux in Windows

#1 Post by dtopham »

Subject QEMU-Puppy
(see: http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/index.html)

I was intrigued and inspired by Erik Veenstra's work on QEMU-Puppy and have always been in awe of Barry Kauler's work since I discovered EVE many years ago. I like the idea of running Linux within Windows because I work in a lab with only Windows and do not have permission to boot any other system (only the admin can change the boot order!). So now, I can finally experiment with and learn Linux! Thank you. But I had to make a couple of adjustments that required much time to figure out and I would like to share this with you in case you run into a similar need.

I want to use compiling tools (such as g++) that are in the shared file system available from Barry's website: usr_devx.sfs

I had usee puppy.exe to boot Puppy from the USB drive as suggested in QEMU-Puppy, but without the source code I cannot alter it to add the following improvement: (maybe put this in a BAT file?)

D:\allinoneqemu.exe -hda puphda -hdb usr_cram.fs -hdc pup100 -hdd usr_devx.sfs -m 256

But then, this is not enough, I must also mount this shared file system from within puppy. I did it this way (after hours of searching and reading about Puppy's boot sequence):

losetup /dev/loop2 /dev/hdd

mount -r -t squashfs /dev/loop2 mnt/home

Now I can access compiling tools in mnt/home. I wish there was a way to automate this sequence somehow.

-Dave

dtopham

QEMU-Puppy

#2 Post by dtopham »

I forgot to post my eMail in previous post in case anyone has questions:
dtopham@acm.org

MU

#3 Post by MU »

You can run it from a batchfile.
You might add the mount-commands to /etc/rc.d/rc.local0

Mark

MU

#4 Post by MU »

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Emulators/Puppy-Qemu.zip (Size: 1.3 MB).

It includes Qemu for Windows (also Windows98),
the accellerated KQemu for XP/NT,
and allinoneqemu for Linux (run Puppy in Puppy :lol: ).

Extract, and replace the 2-byte long files with the files from Erik Veens qemu:

image.gz
vmlinuz
pup001
usr_cram.fs
puphda

Then run the _Puppy.... -Batchfile for your system or edit them to your needs, for example to add usr_devx.sfs.

Read _readme.txt for Details on KQemu!

Mark

sbaguz

#5 Post by sbaguz »

I've been using for some time Qemu-Puppy, but in these last days I decided to build my own qemu img of Puppy with a 3 GB of virtual disk and all I really need (compiling environment, Gimp, etc...). I love it: that's incredible!
I'm using a standard version of Qemu (on a windows ntfs host) and I would like to try kqemu accelerator, but I'm not able to download it from the main site (broken link): could someone post here a working link or, better, attach the kqemu*.tar.gz? :roll:

Thanks in advance.

:wink:

MU

#6 Post by MU »

the above zipfile includes it with readmes, though it might not be the latest.
Mark

sbaguz

#7 Post by sbaguz »

Thanks a lot Mark :wink: , but the version you provided in that archive is actually too old: kqemu service starts fine, but it's immediately stopped because of a version mismatch between kqemu and qemu (I'm using qemu 0.8.1).

Anyway this evening I finally succeeded to download the file from the main site.

:D

ducwiz

#8 Post by ducwiz »

sbaguz wrote:Thanks a lot Mark :wink: , but the version you provided in that archive is actually too old: kqemu service starts fine, but it's immediately stopped because of a version mismatch between kqemu and qemu (I'm using qemu 0.8.1).

Anyway this evening I finally succeeded to download the file from the main site.

:D
sbaguz, could you please quote the download link?

tnx