Newbie RESTORE/UNDO function?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
aahhaaa

Newbie RESTORE/UNDO function?

#1 Post by aahhaaa »

I'm still exploring Puppy, and a lot of the time I have no idea what I'm really doing. Puppy seems exceptionally robust in this regard, but yesterday I lost vertical mouse function right in the middle of running something. Luckily Cont/Alt/Del got me out of it. (Barry takes care of newbies! :D )

A lot of the 'com-posts' (complaint posts) here are about situations where people get into the unknown, and sometimes make things worse.

Just wondering if some sort of (Newbie) Undo could be implimented, a backup config or something like that? Or is it there already & I missed it? :wink:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

What you describe sounds a lot like Windows' "System Restore" feature. It works very well, and is a good idea for beginners, but slows down the computer slightly (not so you notice) and uses a big chunk of your hard drive to store the the backup copy.

If you're running Puppy from the CD with a pup001 file, you can make a duplicate copy of the pup001 file, then rename it so Puppy won't see it when you boot. Restore is as simple as deleting the one you blew up, and giving the good one back its old name.

If you're running multisession Puppy you could find a way to duplicate the CD or DVD, but that may not be necessary since you should be able to delete the saved bad directory. I haven't tried it though. :)

aahhaaa

#3 Post by aahhaaa »

Flash- that'd do it... I think.
I just noticed that I'm still pussyfooting; installing Audacity felt great just because its familiar to me. Veteran hounds may not remember how it felt when everything was unfamiliar territory.

My Safety Blanket Button idea came from my next 'bold' move; I'm going to try comparing Grafpup, Pizzapup, & Cubbypup- there's things that appeal about each. I expect to go astray somewhere. :D

I knew about the pup001, any other tips about trying all the versions? Only thing that actually worries me is re-installing my dialup; I'm sure that's just para-win-noia.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Lobster knows a lot more than I do about it. I got the idea for renaming the pup001 file from a post he made in the Beginners or Users section. I think there is a link to it in the Beginners sticky index.