Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 02:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Opera 11.11 pet +portable +WebM +locales +flash-adblock
Page 15 of 17 [245 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
Michalis

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec 2010, 18:30    Post subject: Re: Opera pet reuploaded  

Jades wrote:
Thanks, I've successfully installed it on both machines and it seems to be working properly.

Welcome, I should have check it in a clean install before posting it.

@ruario
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Since you passed by, hope you don't mind to ask you if you can please check four problems I have with opera Very Happy

Especially the first 3 I've been facing them for long time and I've post about them also in the opera forum.

1. Can't used accented Greek letters (dead keys). I think I could never enter accented letters in the address and search fields, now not even while typing this message. The only way I can write Greek correct is write without accents and then use the spell check to add the accents Sad

I've also tried -noargb but no luck.

2. While scrolling a web page with images and having any zoom other than 100% the images usually get corrupted and often mixed with the text. The only way to correct the view is either wait some time and maybe it will get automatically corrected or change the zoom level. You can see that in the next image,

3. There is a site I'm using daily which is also very popular in Greece and big parts of it are unusable with Opera. The site is naftemporiki.gr.

I know that it is extremely bad written according to w3c standards. I've sent them a mail telling them about it and that it doesn't render well in Opera. Didn't got any respond and send them a second one telling them that they are a joke and they should change job since they are incapable to write a correct site code, no respond of course Twisted Evil . Anyway is there any possibility to have a fix?

4. A new problem I've got in Opera 11 is that many sites are being rendered a bit different and some parts are being hidden by images. This often depends from the zoom level and in some cases works well in other cases not. For example mediafire, the site I'm using for uploading files the image covers the login and sign up except if I zoom at 130% or 160%, Thus making it unusable in any other zoom. Also some other words (not important to use the site) are being hidden from the background colour. I've uploaded two images that they demonstrate the problem.

100% zoom:

130% zoom:

P.S. I don't know if it is possible, since Opera is closed source, but I'm sure that plenty of people would be happy if there was an option of striped down Opera browser with only the basic needed features. It could even be an option for puppy default browser Smile
panzerpuppy

PostPosted: Wed 22 Dec 2010, 06:03    Post subject:  

@Michalis:

- #2 is a well-known crossplatform issue. It occurs under Windows and Mac OS as well. I really hate that bug, since it renders many sites unusable (I always browse web sites with the zoom value set to 150%) Sad

Try http://news.cnet.com for example to experience even worse image corruption problems.

- For #3, try this: Right-Click -> Edit site preferences -> Networking Tab - > Browser identification: select 'mask as Firefox' or 'mask as Internet Explorer' from the dropdown box -> Click OK and press F5 to reload the page.

- #4: Red 'O' Menu -> 'Page' submenu -> select 'Fit To Width'

There's also another bug in Opera 11 that I dislike even more - the cookie bug: The per-site preference 'accept cookies from the originating web site only' doesn't work (cookies aren't accepted when this option is selected)

Michalis wrote:
I don't know if it's possible, since Opera is closed source, but I'm sure plenty of people would be happy if there was an option of a stripped-down Opera browser with only the basic features included. It could even be an option for Puppy default browser.

Opera is already smaller than before. The unite apps are no longer bundled with the browser. You can remove all languages (keep only the 'en' locale) and use lzma compression if you need an even smaller package.

Removing the the Mail/Torrent/IRC clients, Widgets, the Unite server and stripping it to a basic web browser? That's not going to happen. You woudn't gain much disk space by doing that.

Opera isn't another bare-bones browser like Chrome or Firefox. It's more like SeaMonkey - a complete (but lightweight) internet "suite" packed with many features that you'll definitely use.

Yes, it's closed source, but still the leader in Open Web standards support and innovation Smile

Michalis

PostPosted: Wed 22 Dec 2010, 10:32    Post subject:  

panzerpuppy wrote:
@Michalis:

- #2 is a well-known crossplatform issue. It occurs under Windows and Mac OS as well. I really hate that bug, since it renders many sites unusable (I always browse web sites with the zoom value set to 150%) Sad

Try http://news.cnet.com for example to experience even worse image corruption problems.

Yes unfortunately is a long term and very annoying in some sites bug. I also always use 130% zoom and face it very often. I just posted it together with the other bugs here because ruario is one of the main opera developers and wanted to press him a bit more to fix it Laughing

panzerpuppy wrote:

- For #3, try this: Right-Click -> Edit site preferences -> Networking Tab - > Browser identification: select 'mask as Firefox' or 'mask as Internet Explorer' from the dropdown box -> Click OK and press F5 to reload the page.

Thank you very much, I had never though of changing it, gosh...

Now works well, not perfect yet well. I masked it as Firefox. Yet is a so bad written site that I can't believe how can the people that built it think that they are site developers. In their case I would be embarrassed to present it as my work.
Unfortunately is the site of a very good newspaper that I like to read.

panzerpuppy wrote:

- #4: Red 'O' Menu -> 'Page' submenu -> select 'Fit To Width'

Works also, but opera 10.63 didn't had this problem. So they broke it in this version. Just another easier way to select 'Fit To Width', is from the zoom button in the lower right corner.

panzerpuppy wrote:

There's also another bug in Opera 11 that I dislike even more - the cookie bug: The per-site preference 'accept cookies from the originating web site only' doesn't work (cookies aren't accepted when this option is selected)

Hmmm... I've also selected the same option (as always), and to delete them every time I close Opera, and in my case works. Cookies are being accepted, and deleted after each session. Is it possible to work because I choose to delete them after every session? I'll check it, and if that makes the difference I'll post back.

panzerpuppy wrote:

Opera is already smaller than before. The unite apps are no longer bundled with the browser. You can remove all languages (keep only the 'en' locale) and use lzma compression if you need an even smaller package.

Removing the the Mail/Torrent/IRC clients, Widgets, the Unite server and stripping it to a basic web browser? That's not going to happen. You woudn't gain much disk space by doing that.

Opera isn't another bare-bones browser like Chrome or Firefox. It's more like SeaMonkey - a complete (but lightweight) internet "suite" packed with many features that you'll definitely use.

Yes, it's closed source, but still the leader in Open Web standards support and innovation Smile

I can't but agree on everything, moreover according to me, Opera as it is doesn't even have the need of extensions since it has everything I need included. Yet an option of a barebone browser I believe it would be good, even if it reduced the size for just 2 megabytes.

Nevertheless, Opera is by far according to my opinion the best browser around, that's why I am packaging it. Extremely fast and innovative. Let's not forget that is the browser that started the use of css, html5, tab browsing and many more. I hope that it's share will raise so that the webpages will be build according to web standards.
Michalis

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan 2011, 19:00    Post subject: Opera updated to version 11.01  

Opera updated to version 11.01

Opera 11.01 for UNIX changelog

This version according to my opinion is a great bug fix for most of the problems encountered in version 11.00. I recommend to update asap.
aarf

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan 2011, 21:39    Post subject: Re: Opera updated to version 11.01  

Michalis wrote:
.. . I recommend to update asap.

Quote:
Advisory: Web pages can gain limited access to files on the user's computer
Severity

High
Description

Certain types of HTTP responses and redirections can cause Opera to mistakenly give elevated privileges to remote web pages. These pages can then use their elevated privileges to load files from the user's computer as web page resources. This may allow scraping of potentially sensitive information from those files.
Opera's response

Opera Software has released Opera 11.01, where these issues have been fixed.

Oh cecilia, ..... your shaking my confidence baby

click extract this to anywhere you want it:
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/infosys/browsers/opera/linux/1101/opera-11.01-1190.i386.linux.tar.bz2

then optionally copy your old profile folder to the same place before you first click opera. also can set icon and drag it to the desktop. all takes seconds to do and you're in the same place as with your previous opera.
(and ready for the next update clanger Laughing )

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan 2011, 21:17    Post subject:  

I have created a straight, unmodified .sfs of Opera 11.01-1190.i386, from the Ubuntu .deb package. Can anyone think of any reason why it would be useful for me to post it? Or, does Michalis's portable version (and aarf's unpackable version) suffice?
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 29 Jan 2011, 15:10; edited 1 time in total
Henry

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan 2011, 23:39    Post subject:  

More good news! SHS

I'd certainly like that. Hope you get it posted. The "portable" opera is fine in most cases but I seem to have a special situation.
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan 2011, 06:21    Post subject:  

Henry wrote:
More good news! SHS

I'd certainly like that. Hope you get it posted. The "portable" opera is fine in most cases but I seem to have a special situation.

Posted here.
Artie

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan 2011, 07:25    Post subject:  

Thanks everybody for keeping Opera updated and available in different versions and configurations. It's so nice to see that Opera is so quick getting out security fixes and that Michalis and Sit Heel Speak are equally quick to update their versions! Smile At the moment I am using the portable modified version by Michalis and will report if there are any anomalies.

Artie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
vance.waylon

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan 2011, 17:02    Post subject:  

Thanks for the hard work and dedication. Love puppy, love Opera, especially the portable version..cuz Im lazy like that LOL!!!
Michalis

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan 2011, 10:09    Post subject:  

vance.waylon and Artie, Thanks good to see that you enjoy browsing with opera Cool

Sit Heel Speak of course since you had made the sfs you should have post it. There people that prefer sfs packages. The more options the better.

aarf the one I've posted is the version 11.01-1190 only that I've kept only the first digits. According to opera version 11.01 fixes this problem, so I can't understand the one you have posted has any difference? Should I rebuild the packages?
stu90

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan 2011, 10:15    Post subject:  

Thanks Michalis - been using your portable version of opera for a while now. Cool
aarf

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan 2011, 23:57    Post subject:  

Michalis wrote:

aarf the one I've posted is the version 11.01-1190 only that I've kept only the first digits. According to opera version 11.01 fixes this problem, so I can't understand the one you have posted has any difference? Should I rebuild the packages?

Michalis, it is a long time since i have used your pets, preferring now to do the download straight from opera when new minor modifications come out, and when i came to this thread at the end only to see your announcement of a new opera without any indication of a pet i went looking for the new opera in the usual release for minor upgrades and had to look elsewhere for the download. i posted the link to the bz2 so that others didn't need to go looking. i completely forgot that you made modifications to the front page of the thread to add new pets.
i assume the bz2 and your pet are the same opera version.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
stu90

PostPosted: Sun 06 Feb 2011, 12:15    Post subject:  

Nice opera skin:
http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=7298
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 06 Feb 2011, 13:24    Post subject:  

Also if you take the opera skin and /root/.opera files from the package from http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64554 you could have a Firefox/gtk look and feel version.
ttuuxxx

Page 15 of 17 [245 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: