Opera 11.11 pet +portable +WebM +locales +flash-adblock

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
aarf

#226 Post by aarf »

have been getting a lot of opera freezing in 11.01-1190. seems to be an accumulation of something that is causing it, because when i re-extract the bz2 and overwrite my existing opera it doesnt freeze again for quite a while. profile stays intact and so still in the same place as before the extraction.
anyone else getting freezing? it may also be from my frequent flat battery crashes.

stu90

#227 Post by stu90 »

am using the portable version on lucid 5.2 all working ok here, no crashes.

Sit Heel Speak

#228 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Using my .sfs in Puppy Studio 3.3, I have seen only one freeze, and that was when I tried to load
/usr/share/opera/styles/webfeeds.html
into Opera itself.

I do have

Ctrl-F12 -> Advanced -> History -> Disk cache Empty on exit

checked.

Michalis

#229 Post by Michalis »

Opera 11.00 was freezing frequently to me but with 11.01 I haven't got any crash so far. I'm using quirky 1.40.

Usually the solution to these kind of problems is to delete the profile folder and start all over again. Do you use any extensions? Have you checked whether any plugin is using to much your cpu and/or memory?

aarf

#230 Post by aarf »

Michalis: my install is straight out of the bz2 with no additions on my part. flashplayer is there. as for chewing memory and cpu, when viewed with lxtask in puppeee4.4-08, one program called operaplugincleaner seemed like a likely candidate as it appeared often during the freeing near the top of the cpu and memory % list. i would sometimes kill operaplugincleaner and not a great deal would happen immediately, the freeze would continue past the kill.

other things that seemed to be related sometimes was the stuff stored in /root/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/ and
/root/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/XXXXXXX/

one particular website would nearly always be there when freezing happened.
i would clean these folders out and freezing would after a while improve for a while.

decided to see if it was opera specific, but
have now frozen firefox and similarly the particulr website from above was there in flashplayer sub-folder too. the firefox freeze was not as prolonged as the opera freezes though.
in the past installs i did a new profie each time but still had freezes,

Sit Heel Speak:Ctrl-F12 -> Advanced -> History -> Disk cache Empty on exit
now checked.but i think it is something else as profile doesnt affect it.

strange .mht files that were executables also were begining to appear after i saved a file. changing the properties by unchecking the execute boxes didnt change the permissions. reminded me of virus that appear in windows. just deleted them. peraps 6 total now. only recently and only in this current opera.

Sit Heel Speak

#231 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

aarf wrote:...Sit Heel Speak:Ctrl-F12 -> Advanced -> History -> Disk cache Empty on exit now checked.but i think it is something else as profile doesnt affect it.
When you run the installer, is it running to completion? When I tried the installer straight from the .bz it failed, giving an error message about missing two locale files. Tried it twice from two sources and it failed the same way both times. That is the reason why I chose to build my 11.01-1190 .sfs and .pet packages from the Ubuntu .deb, not from the installer .bz.

aarf

#232 Post by aarf »

Yes sometimes there are errors from extracting the bz2. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes to overwrite or extract. If it fails once then next time it may not fail. there doesnt seem to be a pattern. Mostly i dont look at the errors just go to opera and see if it starts. Mostly it does start some times it doesnt. My internal SD cardreader is known not to be perfect. fsck is often not clean.

Sit Heel Speak

#233 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

aarf wrote:...sometimes there are errors from extracting the bz2...my internal SD cardreader is known not to be perfect...
Well, I can't help you with the hardware problem(s), because I don't own an eeePC, so I wouldn't know where to begin.

Are you running Puppeee (thread), the puplet specifically designed for the eeePC?

Try either my or Michalis's Opera 11.01 .pet instead of the .bz. But first shift into / in rox, open an rxvt window by pressing the left-apostrophe (`) key, and issue

Code: Select all

find | grep opera | grep -v initrd
and use the output as a guide, in order to delete all traces of the pre-existing (broken) opera, especially the profile subdirectory
/root/.opera.

If the .pet installs faster than the .bz installer does, then the .bz is probably not installing correctly due to its broken (incomplete) state. This is not surprising, since the vast majority of users are installing Opera from one of the major distro's and so do not use the .bz installer--so, fixing it will not be a high-priority item on the Opera developers' agenda. I found what appears to be an error in the official .deb, too, of Opera, see item 2 in the first message here.

In earlier versions of Opera's .bz installer, all of which did not give errors here, the .bz installer took just a few seconds to install.

HTH, SHS

aarf

#234 Post by aarf »

SHS: i have know about my hardware problem for sometime but they are not significant enough for me to take decisive or even aversion remedial action. i point things out mainly for the benefit or information of others and developers.
yes, am using latest puppeees.
nothing goes into /root/.opera with my install everything opera stays on its own separate partition.
am fairly certain that it is the flashplayer related .sol file located as above from http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/index.php that is causing the freezing. i am also suspecting that the .tar and .bz2 output files may also be being corrupted by the extractor in conjunction with my faulty sdcard-reader. so will be doing fsck before an after extractions when i remember.
thanks for taking an extended look at this issue.

aarf

#235 Post by aarf »

have been using the latest opera snapshots as they come from http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/
just using the code on the downloand page to unzip the bz2

Code: Select all

# tar xf opera-11.10-2067.i386.linux.tar.bz2
and clicking the extracted opera.
also "deleting cache on exit" as suggested by SHS.
no problems at all, no freezing. no crashing.no corrupted files.
haven't been brave enough to go to http://www.nationmultimedia.com though since it turned my sdcard into a rubble folder.

aarf

#236 Post by aarf »

yawn same as all the others. works fine FOR A WHILE then the freezing and corrupt files start and just gets worse until you do a new extraction discarding everything but keep only the profile folder ,.

Artie

#237 Post by Artie »

Hi Michalis could you make a portable customized version of 11.10 please?

Artie

Henry

Updating Opera to 11.10

#238 Post by Henry »

I have used Opera since the first one appeared. Nowadays I keep it installed in /mnt/sda2/opera (ext2).
(But it need not be ext2. You can just as well put it in /mnt/home/opera(fat32) - with corresponding changes below.)

Update procedure:
Download opera-11.10-2092.i386.linux.tar.bz2 from the Opera site and click to unzip its folder wherever convenient.
Copy /lib and /share over the old, but keep the existing /profile and /blank.htm (your custom home page if any) and /opera.
Delete /opera-widget-manager(if you don't want it) and delete /install (you don't need it).

If you haven't already done this,
Open /usr/bin/defaultbrowser in the editor and change exec to exec /mnt/sda2/opera/opera "$@"

and this,
Open /usr/share/applications/opera in the editor and change exec to Exec=defaultbrowser.

If you don't use widgets the menu item can be removed. (I dislike them):
Close Opera and open standard_menu.ini in the editor. Find and delete the following entry:
Submenu, M_WIDGET_MENU, Browser Widgets Menu (or similar).

Everything worked beautifully - I had a new faster browser with my old configuration but better. The bookmarks no longer have those trailing characters in parentheses. Just that would have made my day :-)

Michalis

Opera updated to version 11.11

#239 Post by Michalis »

Opera updated to version 11.11

Henry

Re: Opera updated to version 11.11

#240 Post by Henry »

Michalis wrote:Opera updated to version 11.11
Thanks, Michalis,

I'm very pleased with it. Have been using since it came out on May 18. Just copied the changed parts over what I had per my last post.

Janko Weber

The best browser for my computer

#241 Post by Janko Weber »

I have installed it with language pack on Puppy 4.31 on my amd k6-2/450mhz with 256mb ram
and it works faster then other internet browsers.
If I use Linux I only will use Opera in future.

d4rkn1ght

Opera 11.11

#242 Post by d4rkn1ght »

Thank you for the Opera 11.11 PET :!:

eriksatie

#243 Post by eriksatie »

null

Jades

Can't get Opera 11.11 to load on AMD K6 2 500

#244 Post by Jades »

I can't get Opera 11.11 to load on my AMD K6 2 500 machine. If I load it from the Menu, there's a small amount of hard drive activity but then nothing happens. If I try to launch it by typing opera in the console I get an Illegal Instruction error - this is typical of where a program has been compiled only for i686 and upwards, the AMD K6 2 500 being an i586 generation CPU.

I've reverted to Opera 11.01, which seems to work perfectly on that machine.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

d4rkn1ght

#245 Post by d4rkn1ght »

The new version of Opera is now 11.50. Is there a way to get it in a pet file?

TIA