Opera 11.11 pet +portable +WebM +locales +flash-adblock

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
technosaurus

#46 Post by technosaurus »

I checked out 10.5 and it works nicely with one exception - Puppy does not support gstreamer and thus there will probably be no HTML5 video... this is the same with firefox, seamonkey, midori... pretty much all of the others. So perhaps the time has come to incorporate gstreamer (or perhaps gstreamer-ffmpeg) ughh if you know all of the dependencies and are familiar with the plethora of nuances you'll realize that is a LOT of work (and likely a lot of rework)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

magerlab

#47 Post by magerlab »

yes, i forgot to mention about gstreamer
i believe it's a must have for puppy now

ttuuxxx

#48 Post by ttuuxxx »

I've compiled Gstreamer a few times and don't remember much deps needed, but to compile it just for the use of a browser plus the,G,B,U plugins would seem like overkill.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Michalis

#49 Post by Michalis »

For the moment (correct me if I'm wrong) I think HTML5 isn't being used so we can skip it. But sooner or later will have to go for Gstreamer. I don't believe it's bad to go for it cause maybe it will add size but from the other hand will give us the opportunity to use many other programs which use gstreamer.

Anyway opera 10.50 will take quite some time to to become stable enough for every day use.

A good thing to keep from the alpha release is that finally it doesn't depend to qt and due to it has smaller size. Actually according to the developers it integrates better with gtk.

@magerlab
Also I can't use greek, I synced my bookmarks and all greek letters where vanished big problems with the latest flash and many more. Ok it's alpha release will wait for the next ones.

technosaurus

#50 Post by technosaurus »

Gstreamer does have vala bindings so there IS the possibility of a Puppy Media Player. Barry has started using mozplugger so it would be able to replace the browser plugin. Any takers?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

abushcrafter

#51 Post by abushcrafter »

Michalis wrote:For the moment (correct me if I'm wrong) I think HTML5 isn't being used so we can skip it. But sooner or later will have to go for Gstreamer. I don't believe it's bad to go for it cause maybe it will add size but from the other hand will give us the opportunity to use many other programs which use gstreamer.
Oh no you can't! I plan to use it.

aarf

#52 Post by aarf »

have crashed my opera10.10 customised portable in quirky3 so that it now starts and continues to consume 30-36% of cpu even through restartx but the browser window will NOT open. a reboot will stop it running in task manager.
will save my bookmarks.adr and speeddial.ini file and simply unpack a new opera. have kept a copy of the failed opera for any queries
Attachments
operafail.jpg
(86.42 KiB) Downloaded 2012 times

rokytnji

#53 Post by rokytnji »

Just for info. I admin at http://myubuntu.ning.com/

I try and wish anybody there a Happy Birthday when it is their birthday.
I noticed in my 10.10 install in Puppy 4.31 that when I click on a members picture or name to go to their profile, (I only tested on this site and only in the birthday section in left panel of page lower section).

Any hows. It wouldn't take me to their profile page when I tried to link. Had to use my other Opera 10 install. I know Ning uses a lot of flash. But my older Opera deals with it just fine as well as stock SeaMonkey 1.1.8 in Puppy 4.31. Just thought I'd post the info.
It aint a deal breaker yet though. :) Happy Trails, Rok

Edit: right clicking and selecting open in new tab worked though. :oops:

Not sure. But I think maybe flash blocker might be the culprit for this symptom. Right click options all work OK. Changing tabbed prefernces didn't help. No big deal though.

aarf

#54 Post by aarf »

aarf wrote:have crashed my opera10.10 customised portable in quirky3 so that it now starts and continues to consume 30-36% of cpu even through restartx but the browser window will NOT open. a reboot will stop it running in task manager.
will save my bookmarks.adr and speeddial.ini file and simply unpack a new opera. have kept a copy of the failed opera for any queries
have fixed the crashed opera by deleting the /profile/bookmarks.adr file. it may have become corrupted by my copying in a bookmarks.adr file from elsewhere thus overwriting the original. to be sure, when importing bookmarks use the import in "file" menu in the bookmarks manager and DO NOT JUST MANUALLY REPLACE THE BOOKMARKS FILE. had very great difficulty when trying to delete the corrupted bookmarks file. if you have this problem, just delete the file and opera will create a new one on opening a new browser window.

aarf

#55 Post by aarf »

found this at the opera forums. click this link [url]opera:/button/Reload%20all%20pages,1,,418061858,%22Reload%22[/url]
drag the button to a tool bar and you have all tab refresh button. especially useful on fragile wifi connections.
edit:: the forum script doesnt recognise it as a link so copy and paste it into your opera browser then you will get
Invalid address

You tried to access the address opera:/button/Reload%20all%20pages,1,,418061858,%22Reload%22, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelt and punctuated, then try reloading the page
then click the link in that error message to proceed. be sure to save the new button before closing the popup.

technosaurus

#56 Post by technosaurus »

Post Deleted
Last edited by technosaurus on Sun 24 Jan 2010, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

Michalis

#57 Post by Michalis »

Deleted

potchan
Location: Pilots' Height Tel Aviv - Yaffo, Israel לינוקס_פותחן

The new opera

#58 Post by potchan »

Hi Michalis and Team,

Shapo ! just installed it (Potchan devel's priorities, sorry). I can see the matureness and drinkability during use, via my mobile SD which is a relatively slowish media (where Seamonkey opens by 15 long sec's, Opera opens in 5 and consumes less resources). Keep going :lol: and after deeper use maybe I'll share more with U.
Timmo', the potchan (=opener) team at - [url]http://potchan.org[/url]. Taste it, love it, code in it.

sheldonisaac

Opera 10.10 static via menu

#59 Post by sheldonisaac »

I found that this works.

Make an execuatble script in /usr/local/bin, as follows:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/apps/Opera-10.10-portable-customized
./opera

I named this little file opera

------------------------

Then edit ~.jwmrc, to add this line:

<Program label="Opera web browser" icon="PuppyBrowser.png">opera</Program>

Where can I get a different icon for this, other than "PuppyBrowser.png" ?

Thanks,
Sheldon

aarf

Re: Opera 10.10 static via menu

#60 Post by aarf »

sheldonisaac wrote:I found that this works.

#!/bin/sh
./opera

------------------------

Thanks,
Sheldon
ok will give it a shot. thanks. icons are in the opera folders.

pri

#61 Post by pri »

Thanks,
Sheldon
hei is the menu still appear when you restart jwm ?
Learning by Doing

aarf

#62 Post by aarf »

#!/bin/sh
./opera

thanks.
remember to change the permissions of the new file to executable by right-click>properties>tick executable
and when it is in the /usr/bin/ it will drag to the desktop. and clicking there will open opera when it is also outside of the pupsave. mine:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh 
cd /mnt/home/opera10.10/Opera-10.10-portable-customized/ 
./opera

aarf

#63 Post by aarf »

just one last hurdle.
setting the mime type run action to open some-saved-opera.mht files to opera by dragging /usr/bin/opera into the run-action box causes opera-browser to open when the file is clicked but NOT with the clicked file opened in a tab. still need to drag an drop the opera.mht file into the open opera browser.

aarf

#64 Post by aarf »

pri wrote:

Thanks,
Sheldon
hei is the menu still appear when you restart jwm ?
this works for me :
first edit in the right place in /root/.jwmrc

Code: Select all

<Program label="Opera web browser" icon="/mnt/home/opera10.10/Opera-10.10-portable-customized/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/opera.png">opera</Program>
then menu>shutdown> restart JWM

pri

#65 Post by pri »

aarf :
yes .. sure..., but try after it instaled any pet who have menu like pidgin or add an sfs. after that. i think your menu will be disappear.

why just you make menu like other in the /usr/share/applications. and it will be generate a new menu for opera automaticaly when jwm restarted.

opera.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
TryExec=opera
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Opera
GenericName=Web browser
Exec=opera
Terminal=false
Categories=WebBrowser
Icon=opera.xpm
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/x-mimearchive;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/svg+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;image/x-bmp;image/x-xbm;application/mime
Comment=Web Browser
Type=Application
i got it from opera 10.10 debian,

sory if i am wrong, i just courious :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Learning by Doing