Suggestions for 1.0.7

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
BarryK
Puppy Master

#31 Post by BarryK »

kirk wrote: And now that we can compile in puppy, how about an unleashed package with the kernal headers/include files, so we can compile drivers without a lot of work.
Err, they are, they are in usr_devx.sfs, in /usr/src/.

I think some packages also want a link, /lib/modules/2.4.29/build, a symlink to /usr/src/linux-2.4.29.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#32 Post by BarryK »

GuestToo wrote:
disables the start menu from poping up any place that you click on the desktop
some Puppy users might consider that to be a useful feature ... other's might consider it to be annoying ... personally, it's never bothered me
Yes, to me it is a feature!

kirk

#33 Post by kirk »

Now I feel just silly. I'll put in a link an try to compile some drivers. THANKS!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#34 Post by Flash »

The Start menu popping up when you click on the desktop is unexpected behaviour for someone who's used to *other* desktops but I can see its utility so even though I don't use it (too lazy to change my ways) I consider it a feature.

kirk

#35 Post by kirk »

Just to be clear, to compile drivers everything I need is in usr_devx.sfs? There is no need for the source files and to recompile the kernel? I get a message "No rule to make target modules" when I try to compile a driver.

The start button thing is real pain if your using a laptop with a touch pad, when you put your finger on the pad to move the pointer the start menu pops up. (need a driver) But it's no big deal for me to change.

bombayrockers

provide better hardware support

#36 Post by bombayrockers »

I am not an expert on hardware, but I suppose that if puppy wants to provide better hardware support it would have to provide all the modules in /lib/modules.

This is how I have got puppy to use load all the modules in /lib/modules without touching image.gz.
I made a lib_mod.sfs from the modules.tar package (In my case for the 2.4.29-lck kernel). lib_mod.sfs contains /lib/modules/2.4.29-lck/"all module folders generated during compilation"

Then I edited my rc.local as follows to load it during bootup. To use these modules I would need to edit the modules.dep and other files which I dont know how to ? Made more loop devices as I have usr_devx, usr_more and usr_kde loaded at all times.

Code: Select all

echo -en "\\033[1;37mMaking more loop devices..."
mknod /dev/loop5 b: 7 5
mknod /dev/loop6 b: 7 6
mknod /dev/loop7 b: 7 7
mknod /dev/loop8 b: 7 8
mknod /dev/loop9 b: 7 9
mknod /dev/loop10 b: 7 10
if [ ! "`ls /mnt/home/lib_mod.sfs 2> /dev/null`" = "" ];then
  mkdir /.lib_mod
  echo "Mounting /mnt/home/lib_mod.sfs file on /.lib_mod..."
  losetup-FULL /dev/loop5 /mnt/home/lib_mod.sfs
  mount -r -t squashfs -o noatime /dev/loop5 /.lib_mod
  mount -t unionfs -o dirs=/.lib_mod=ro none /lib/modules
fi

Alucard_the_dex

#37 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Can we please get rid of all the BAD Bomb icons and use this?
Attachments
32x32.png
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 932 times
~Puppy Linux~ Where mans best friend becomes PCs best friend

kernel compiled with mppe

#38 Post by Guest »

How about a kernel compiled with mppe as a loadable module. This is required for the (included) pptpclient which is not very useful without it.

ideas for puppy

#39 Post by guest »

Perhapts improve the compatability for live multisession cd/dvd so that it works flawlessly on most systems. seems alot of people, (myself included) are having problems after first run, second track etc. Also that swap file it leaves on the hard drive isnt supposed to be there right. I thought that the multisession could run without a hard drive? If that could be made to work smoothly it would be a great thing for privacy/security. How about making tor and privoxy part of the package. They are very small programs, and allow for fairly anonymous web surfing. They work flawlessly in xp anyway. Also maybe including myth tv as a pup pack would be cool :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#40 Post by GuestToo »

How about making tor and privoxy part of the package
i have a privoxy dotpup package and a tor dotpup package ... the tor package needs to be updated ... i'm running Tor 0.1.1.10-alpha