avidemux2 Video Editor Extreme edition psp,xvid,dvd,svcd etc

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
sunburnt

#31 Post by sunburnt »

Caneri; You are the web master of: http://puppylinux.ca/ , aren`t you?
Asia seems to be OK, but just so happens that it doesn`t have that file.
Just my dumb luck acting up again...

Thanks vtpup; SDL_mixer-1.2.8-i386-mod-smpeg.pet is a mixer that needs the other file also.
Hopefully mikeb will make a no-union SFS file out of all the packages needed...
If he gets it to work he can offer it to jrb for ChoicePup.

vtpup

#32 Post by vtpup »

sunburnt, check here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 3-i386.pet

(Grrrr. For some reason I can't insert url tags in dpup firefox......hmmmm. Sorry the link isn't click through.)

Eric: Sorry to hear that -- man you work hard to help us all out, despite the setbacks!

Makoto

#33 Post by Makoto »

vtpup wrote:(Grrrr. For some reason I can't insert url tags in dpup firefox......hmmmm. Sorry the link isn't click through.)
The PHPBB tag buttons rely on Javascript, I believe. Do you have that disabled in Firefox? (NoScript usually disables it, unless you whitelist the site.) Or, you could manually add the tags. :D
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

sunburnt

#34 Post by sunburnt »

Thanks vtpup; I got the file and avidemux seems to be working well.
Now I just need to spend some time learning how to use it.

Any suggestions for VOB to Xvid video, and keep the AC3 audio?

sunburnt

#35 Post by sunburnt »

I made and then load-run the project but it doesn`t start processing it.
Can`t see any way to make it go...

mikeb

#36 Post by mikeb »

Any suggestions for VOB to Xvid video, and keep the AC3 audio?
load the first vob and it should chain the rest...then select xvid for vid and leave audio as is (I think) and export as avi...a bit of a guess as I have had avi with ac3 sound.

Bear with me on the sfs...it uses some common dependancies that I added to the main pup so I need to determine what a standard puppy needs....saying that I did make a slax module of it a while ago so that should be about right since your method does not need the added library path.

mike

edit I remembered that I have this version setup to run in puppy 2 so I can have avidemuxes flv handling from version 2.4 by using older QT libs. It may make more sense to make an sfs from his original pets....

sunburnt

#37 Post by sunburnt »

mikeb; gposil is recompiling the new ffmpeg with all newer codecs for Dpup.
It may be best to look toward the future and work with Dpup, many thumbs up.
I still run Puppy400 because it`s all that works on my older PC, but Dpup ran great!
Just the "load SFS to ram no matter what" problem I pointed out, common to all Pups.
The SFS file took up 60% of the ram (256MB) so Firefox couldn`t even run! SAD...
I hack patched the problem in MediaPup but I`d like to see it fixed for all Puppies.

Note: I have a post in the Programming forum about FFmpeg.
Lets talk there so we don`t mess ttuuxxx`s thread up more than we have.

sunburnt

#38 Post by sunburnt »

Avidemux creates really bad audio video sync, up to 1 minute off!
I searched the web for a solution but there doesn`t seem to be anything.
It appears that avidemux can`t handle some types of video properly.
I`m certainly not going to play "guess the audio delay" with every one.

Does anyone know about this and have a real solution for it?

vtpup

#39 Post by vtpup »

sunburnt, bummer :( . I haven't had the problem, but have done limited work with the program.

But that would be an app problem, if you haven't already, try searching and posting here:
http://avidemux.org/admForum/
http://forum.videohelp.com/

Also, since you are running dpup, why don't you try loading precompiled .debs for other Linux editors? Seems everybody has at least a .deb for their app. Go to the actual development home sites for these.

Also, have you tried your favorite Win editor in Wine 1.1.32? It may run. Amazing what Wine can do these days. Wine is also available as a .deb at WineHq.

Patriot

#40 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
sunburnt wrote: ..... It appears that avidemux can`t handle some types of video properly. .....
That's odd ... I've been using Avidemux 2.4x before (and avidemux 2.51 for the past couple of months) and have had no issues with any avi or mp4 container ... Sync issues only encountered with matroska container only with AAC but easily rectified ...

I've done DVD, SVCD, mkv, avi, mp4 and all was a breeze ... Perhaps you're using an inappropriate encoding for a container ?

What's the container that you're using ?

Rgds

Makoto

#41 Post by Makoto »

I'll second the comment about posting on Avidemux's forum and VideoHelp, if you need help - especially since I also post regularly to VH, and there's quite a few video gurus there. But just to be safe, if you want to discuss working with video under Linux, it's probably a better idea to make sure you're posting to the Linux subforum (http://forum.videohelp.com/linux-f19.html).
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

sunburnt

#42 Post by sunburnt »

Makoto; I thought about posting there, but after reading posts about the sync
problem and no fix other than running the vobs through ffmpeg to fix them.
The problem it seems is varying frame rates that avidemux doesn`t handle.
I`ll give it a go...

Patriot; DVD vob to avi Xvid or x-h264 video , keep the Ac3 5.1 sound.
Fairly simple, just changing the video stream format and file container.

Patriot

#43 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
sunburnt wrote:..... DVD vob to avi Xvid or x-h264 video , keep the Ac3 5.1 sound. .....
Sounds simple, but not quite so .....

1. If your DVD content has variable frame rates then you must use "Build VBR time map" option before encoding begins or it'll become unsync. The VBR time map will help avidemux to sync properly ...

2. Variable frame rate is not suited (read: not supported) with avi container. Use mkv or mp4 for best results.

3. I've done x264 with ac3 into avi before and the final cut works just fine ... Don't use AAC with avi, they're don't get along ...

4. Best encoding for avi is still xvid+ac3 (2ch/3ch/6ch) ... It's fine if you don't mind the size ...

5. For HD content, I suggest either mkv or mp4. Normally I prefer x264+AAC in mkv to have the so-called m-HD content.

Rgds

mikeb

#44 Post by mikeb »

The problem it seems is varying frame rates that avidemux doesn`t handle.
..in dvd it seems...hmm always used handbrake for converting from dvd to other formats..I only know that avidemux can imprt them but only done it once.. I use avidemux to work with other formats and simple editing and occasionally had problems with VBR audio (audio is often neglected with third party files) and had to resort to virtualdub or virtualdubmod to sort out the trickier ones but otherwise the best solution is not to convert the audio format.

Variable frame rate video...now thats mean but dvds are always adding new ways to make conversion tricky (but I paid for it!!)

ps I hate DVD's ..always did :D

Patriot seems to have his finger on the pulse there

regards

mike

sunburnt

#45 Post by sunburnt »

mikeb; The number of posts saying to use other apps. to fix things makes me worry...

Patriot; I did the movie again and clicked: [Audio] "Build VBR time map",
no notice saying it had done anything and the movie was exactly the same.

Q about codecs, x264 and h264 are supposed to encode faster than Xvid... True?
One post said that Xvid takes 2 to 3 times longer? That`s hard to believe, but...
Xvid takes 2 hours for a 2 hour movie, *264 will do 2 hours in 45 min.? WOW!!!
And I assume they`re correct when they say that *264 is higher quality than Xvid.
Also I saw a post saying not to use *264 codecs with an avi container file.

A pre-processing app. is needed to produce a reliable file for the encoder-editors.
It`s been suggested to run the vobs through ffmpeg to do this.
But then why not just use ffmpeg..? But then I think avidemux uses ffmpeg...

mikeb

#46 Post by mikeb »

Xvid takes 2 hours for a 2 hour movie, *264 will do 2 hours in 45 min.? WOW!!!
I find the penalty is higher cpu demands for playback..just my experience....designed for realtime streaming conversion like flv sorenson spark.

mike

sunburnt

#47 Post by sunburnt »

That would be my assumption also, but you`d think tight compression would make for
a heavy load decompressing, and quick compression would be an easy decompression.
Also I guess *264 is for PCs only at the moment, no player boxes will do it.

Q: What`s flv ?

Patriot

#48 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
sunburnt wrote:........
no notice saying it had done anything and the movie was exactly the same.
That could mean the audio has no VBR but the video does ... It may help by using a -1ms audio shift (one of the tricks I used before) ... Without knowing what the actual content is, it's difficult to say .....

x264 encodes better not faster. In simplest terms, it means that x264 encodes more frames in better details per block of data. Of course, it comes with a price, higher cpu requirements. Similar to .gz vs .bz2 where gz is faster but bigger, bz2 is slower but smaller. The higher quality x264 result comes from the better algorithm but it also depends on whether the settings are properly done. My minimum cpu recommendation for simple x264 LC encoded content would be a p3 600Mhz. Any lower and it may stutter.

Xvid on the other hand encodes faster but generally at twice the size of x264. As I mentioned previously, if you don't mind the size then this is fine ... If you are to follow the specs then yes, x264 is not suited for the avi container. This is especially true for the windows platform where splitters+codecs can play havoc.

If you have VFR (vbr video) then you need to use a bit of sorcery to convert. It's part of the game. You need to understand that while any DVD disc looks the same on the shiny layer, the contents are not done the same way. The actual time needed to encode to x264 or xvid depends on encoder settings and final content requirement. For me, it is normal for a 2 hour video encoded with x264 to take between 3 to 8 hours for multi-pass + avg bit rate/final size.

Avidemux uses internal ffmpeg plus a set of known external libs if its available. It does not depend on external ffmpeg to work. This ensures that avidemux uses the correct ffmpeg version that it requires. Video conversions process sometimes requires multiple tools to get it right. As mikeb has noted, certain tricky content needs other tools like Virtualdub/Mod which is one of my favourites for avi conversions. No video editor/encoder is perfect, so, by just saying ffmpeg is enough to encode everything is incorrect ... Please understand, ffmpeg is a very useful and powerful tool but it is not a magic wand .....

Please, we should bring future discussions to another thread if required ...

Rgds

mikeb

#49 Post by mikeb »

Please, we should bring future discussions to another thread if required ...
Indeed facinating subject....there are whole sites dedicated to the subject.
As mentioned there is no such thing as one tool does all...partly due to the plethora (lovely word) of formats present.

My preference is xvid+mp3 in avi wrapper as space is not at a premium but cpu performance is....with different hardware then another combination makes sense. Just like there is the perfect puppy for yer hardware .

So on topic....within its limits...avidemux is good sh*t maan but in some instances one needs to look elsewhere..... avcodec/ffmpeg it a common factor but not always in a common approach.

mike