avidemux2 Video Editor Extreme edition psp,xvid,dvd,svcd etc

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
mikeb

#46 Post by mikeb »

Xvid takes 2 hours for a 2 hour movie, *264 will do 2 hours in 45 min.? WOW!!!
I find the penalty is higher cpu demands for playback..just my experience....designed for realtime streaming conversion like flv sorenson spark.

mike

sunburnt

#47 Post by sunburnt »

That would be my assumption also, but you`d think tight compression would make for
a heavy load decompressing, and quick compression would be an easy decompression.
Also I guess *264 is for PCs only at the moment, no player boxes will do it.

Q: What`s flv ?

Patriot

#48 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
sunburnt wrote:........
no notice saying it had done anything and the movie was exactly the same.
That could mean the audio has no VBR but the video does ... It may help by using a -1ms audio shift (one of the tricks I used before) ... Without knowing what the actual content is, it's difficult to say .....

x264 encodes better not faster. In simplest terms, it means that x264 encodes more frames in better details per block of data. Of course, it comes with a price, higher cpu requirements. Similar to .gz vs .bz2 where gz is faster but bigger, bz2 is slower but smaller. The higher quality x264 result comes from the better algorithm but it also depends on whether the settings are properly done. My minimum cpu recommendation for simple x264 LC encoded content would be a p3 600Mhz. Any lower and it may stutter.

Xvid on the other hand encodes faster but generally at twice the size of x264. As I mentioned previously, if you don't mind the size then this is fine ... If you are to follow the specs then yes, x264 is not suited for the avi container. This is especially true for the windows platform where splitters+codecs can play havoc.

If you have VFR (vbr video) then you need to use a bit of sorcery to convert. It's part of the game. You need to understand that while any DVD disc looks the same on the shiny layer, the contents are not done the same way. The actual time needed to encode to x264 or xvid depends on encoder settings and final content requirement. For me, it is normal for a 2 hour video encoded with x264 to take between 3 to 8 hours for multi-pass + avg bit rate/final size.

Avidemux uses internal ffmpeg plus a set of known external libs if its available. It does not depend on external ffmpeg to work. This ensures that avidemux uses the correct ffmpeg version that it requires. Video conversions process sometimes requires multiple tools to get it right. As mikeb has noted, certain tricky content needs other tools like Virtualdub/Mod which is one of my favourites for avi conversions. No video editor/encoder is perfect, so, by just saying ffmpeg is enough to encode everything is incorrect ... Please understand, ffmpeg is a very useful and powerful tool but it is not a magic wand .....

Please, we should bring future discussions to another thread if required ...

Rgds

mikeb

#49 Post by mikeb »

Please, we should bring future discussions to another thread if required ...
Indeed facinating subject....there are whole sites dedicated to the subject.
As mentioned there is no such thing as one tool does all...partly due to the plethora (lovely word) of formats present.

My preference is xvid+mp3 in avi wrapper as space is not at a premium but cpu performance is....with different hardware then another combination makes sense. Just like there is the perfect puppy for yer hardware .

So on topic....within its limits...avidemux is good sh*t maan but in some instances one needs to look elsewhere..... avcodec/ffmpeg it a common factor but not always in a common approach.

mike