Puppy 4.2 RC3 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

DaveS

#256 Post by DaveS »

DaveS wrote:Package manager working fine in RC4, BUT, wifi only works after fiddling around with modules, then settings dont stick between boots and no matter what I do I cant print to my network printer. 4.2 seems more pretty than functional just now, but it is VERY pretty! Rendering in Seamonkey is good too, with fonts looking sharp. Kinda frustrated just now, I just wish I had more skills.
OK, I figured out printing to some extent. I am using a HP Photosmart C4380 wifi printer. There is no driver shipped with Puppy for this printer, so I downloaded the hpijs-2.8.2_static pet via the package manager which contains the driver, and which I have used with total success in 4.1.1. I was getting filter errors, so I deleted this .pet, and messed around with the drivers that ship as standard, and found one that works. Now printing is fine.
If I could now just figure the wifi issue, I would be there.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

ecomoney

#257 Post by ecomoney »

Just to let you know, I encountered some problems with beta 1 and some internal wireless cards. I heard it reported previously. Im yet to identify one type of card, but the other one was a fairly common intel 2200 mini-pci chipset (something that is on the list of wireless drivers available in the network wizard). This driver wasnt loaded automatically at bootup, and attempting to load it from the internet connection wizard cause some kind of "really bad" sounding error message.....I apologise for not taking this down...I was at a collegues house at the time, and the equipment was not my own.

It may be good to double check the wireless support, as I have read earlier that some other people have problems....I remember there was a version of puppy went out as an "official version" with the wireless broken before :shock: :o :(

Also...may I ask why pWidgets doesnt work in icewm?....I think I may already suspect the reason.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

ttuuxxx

#258 Post by ttuuxxx »

ecomoney wrote:
Also...may I ask why pWidgets doesnt work in icewm?....I think I may already suspect the reason.
You are so wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off with that statement, come one, I can complain on here until I'm blue in the face, but noway would I ever interfere backhandedly to sabotage Pwidgets in icewm, if that was to be removed that would be done by the forces that be, Mr WhoDo himself, noway am I even going to come close to wearing that statement.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ecomoney

#259 Post by ecomoney »

Well in that case Ttuxxx, Im glad that by mentioning what others may have only erroneously suspected you have had the chance to put the record totally straight.

Since AFAIK, pwidgets causes some slowdowns for the much improved usability it gives, I would expect it to work in icewm and not in jwm, as JWM is designed for slower machines than icewm.

IceWM does look so much better than the JWM though! A lot of the people (who arnt familiar with puppy) I have show the new RC to have said the same thing.

It would perhaps be logical, as a compromise and "best of both worlds" solution to the "bling or no bling" issue to do a quick check of available memory on the computerat bootup Make fresh installs (i.e. no pup_save.2fs) on computers with more than 128mb of RAM default to IceWM (with pwidgets) as their window manager (for "bling"). Less then that and puppy 4.2 loads JWM with no Pwidgets (for speed).

That way, new puppy users with newer computers can be impressed by the looks (bling?) of Puppy, while new puppy users with older computers will be impressed its speed (and the fact it boots at all). Either way I know they are going to be impressed.

Well done Ttuxxx - and Whodo, and the rest of the team.

P.S. the new volume icon makes all the difference ;-)
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

ttuuxxx

#260 Post by ttuuxxx »

ecomoney wrote:Well in that case Ttuxxx, Im glad that by mentioning what others may have only erroneously suspected you have had the chance to put the record totally straight.

Since AFAIK, pwidgets causes some slowdowns for the much improved usability it gives, I would expect it to work in icewm and not in jwm, as JWM is designed for slower machines than icewm.

IceWM does look so much better than the JWM though! A lot of the people (who arnt familiar with puppy) I have show the new RC to have said the same thing.

It would perhaps be logical, as a compromise and "best of both worlds" solution to the "bling or no bling" issue to do a quick check of available memory on the computerat bootup Make fresh installs (i.e. no pup_save.2fs) on computers with more than 128mb of RAM default to IceWM (with pwidgets) as their window manager (for "bling"). Less then that and puppy 4.2 loads JWM with no Pwidgets (for speed).

That way, new puppy users with newer computers can be impressed by the looks (bling?) of Puppy, while new puppy users with older computers will be impressed its speed (and the fact it boots at all). Either way I know they are going to be impressed.

Well done Ttuxxx - and Whodo, and the rest of the team.

P.S. the new volume icon makes all the difference ;-)
Glad you liked the volume icon, I did that because you requested it and the extra quick launch applications also. :) Also Glad you like the icewm package better that was a truly a test patients. I'm glad its all finally coming together in one neat package.
ttuuxxx

Aitch

#261 Post by Aitch »

Nice idea, Rob, shame it can't be implemented, as 'over 128Mb ram', & 'under 128Mb ram' options as default

Or can it, devs....WhoDo?

Aitch :)

trio

#262 Post by trio »

@ecomoney

pwidgets doesn't work in icewm? I never had that problem...please be specific what doesn't work..

thanks

ecomoney

#263 Post by ecomoney »

Its quite simple, moving the mouse to the sides of the screen doesnt bring out the "pop-out" boxes. I have tried it on two different machines, both completely fresh frugal installs. Sorry for "Does not work" term ;-)

WhoDo

#264 Post by WhoDo »

ecomoney wrote:Its quite simple, moving the mouse to the sides of the screen doesnt bring out the "pop-out" boxes. I have tried it on two different machines, both completely fresh frugal installs. Sorry for "Does not work" term ;-)
Those "pop-out" boxes are actually JWM trays. That's why you don't get them in Icewm. The Pwidgets manager is available from menu > Desktop which isn't as convenient, I know, but if you decide to implement Wbar in Icewm you could have the best of both worlds.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

sata80

#265 Post by sata80 »

ttuuxxx wrote:
sata80 wrote:I have used Puppy 4.20 from alpha stage, no major problems.
Just downloaded RC4.
I didn't find RC4 treath, if this is in wrong place please move or remove.

In welcome message it says "A readout in taskbar shows how much working space left in RAM.", i don't get that reading in there. See picture. Haven't tested that in earlier versions.

When i do following: boot pfix=ram, stop widgets, close side trays.
Blinky appears top left of screen. See picture. Not happened earlier.

When i started pwidgets again, it appears in lower left corner. See picture. Not happened in earlier releases.

EDIT:
There is empty buttons in top bar. See picture.
Can you try this version of blinky and freememory and report back if it fixes your issues, just install the package and 'Refresh' your menu. :)
ttuuxxx
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=16178
Blinky does that only when pfix=ram and frugal. I don't know how to test it because it doesn't happen next boot with pup_save.2fs. Pwidgets jumpd wrong place also on first boot from CD with pfix=ram. I didn't find RC4 treat because it wasn't in next Puppy developement sub forum.

ecomoney

#266 Post by ecomoney »

Those "pop-out" boxes are actually JWM trays. That's why you don't get them in Icewm. The Pwidgets manager is available from menu > Desktop which isn't as convenient, I know, but if you decide to implement Wbar in Icewm you could have the best of both worlds.
Ahh..that would be why then! Thanks for the explaination.

Could wbar in icewm be implemented by default? It sure is handy. Apparently it can be made quite "mac-like"? for that extra "bling", though I understand jwm is for older machines so that wouldnt be appropriate there.

Any decisions/code snippets re the memory check/default WM?

WhoDo

#267 Post by WhoDo »

sata80 wrote:I didn't find RC4 treat because it wasn't in next Puppy developement sub forum.
The RC4 thread is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40158
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

ttuuxxx

#268 Post by ttuuxxx »

ecomoney wrote:
Ahh..that would be why then! Thanks for the explaination.

Could wbar in icewm be implemented by default? It sure is handy. Apparently it can be made quite "mac-like"? for that extra "bling", though I understand jwm is for older machines so that wouldnt be appropriate there.

Any decisions/code snippets re the memory check/default WM?
You can install Wbar into anything, works fine in Icewm, but I'm kind of on a negative bling trip, So I wouldn't want that in the default puppy, but after 4.2 is out I could make you a wbar addon package for Icewm.
ttuuxxx

WhoDo

#269 Post by WhoDo »

ecomoney wrote:Could wbar in icewm be implemented by default?
No. Not enough room as it is. I debated this in my own mind early on and came to the conclusion that it served no additional purpose. In Icewm you already have a Quick Launch menu that is opened by clicking on the up arrow on the task bar. That's the next best thing IMHO. Also it is more Window$-like to use the Icewm toolbar file to put the most commonly used programs on the taskbar itself -:arrow: see my how to on the wiki under EZpup Help for instructions.
ecomoney wrote:Any decisions/code snippets re the memory check/default WM?
I only vaguely remember you mentioning something like this as an idea but I have had so much stuff go through my head with 4.2 that I no longer have any idea what you are talking about. Sorry. :oops:

ecomoney

#270 Post by ecomoney »

No matter whodo, its from about a page up

baggins

wireless in 4.2 rc3

#271 Post by baggins »

EDIT.... THIS SHOULD BE IN RC4.. SORRY

Hi Guys, well done it looks great.

I still have a major problem with wifi. The card is a bcm4318 -- other distros (including puppy up to 4.0) use the b43 driver. I can't get it to work in puppy. I've downloaded it from the horses mouth and cut it previously with fwcutter but I don't know where to put the results in this distro. The b43 shipped onboard doesn't work. the interface will not come up. "ifconfig wlan0 up" tells me

SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory.

iwconfig shows the interface is there.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption key:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Any more info you want I got. I hope this is just a blip- I've been waiting quite a while and it looks too good to miss out on.

:)
PS I blacklisted bcm43xx already
Last edited by baggins on Wed 25 Mar 2009, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#272 Post by WhoDo »

ecomoney wrote:

No matter whodo, its from about a page up
Interesting idea, but probably not feasible at this stage of the 4.2 development program. I'm sure there would be a way to do that, manipulating the windowmanager and 0_show_widgets files according to detected RAM size, but it's not a project for 4.2 ATM. Sorry.