Puppy 4.2 RC3 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

baggins

wireless in 4.2 rc3

#271 Post by baggins »

EDIT.... THIS SHOULD BE IN RC4.. SORRY

Hi Guys, well done it looks great.

I still have a major problem with wifi. The card is a bcm4318 -- other distros (including puppy up to 4.0) use the b43 driver. I can't get it to work in puppy. I've downloaded it from the horses mouth and cut it previously with fwcutter but I don't know where to put the results in this distro. The b43 shipped onboard doesn't work. the interface will not come up. "ifconfig wlan0 up" tells me

SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory.

iwconfig shows the interface is there.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption key:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Any more info you want I got. I hope this is just a blip- I've been waiting quite a while and it looks too good to miss out on.

:)
PS I blacklisted bcm43xx already
Last edited by baggins on Wed 25 Mar 2009, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#272 Post by WhoDo »

ecomoney wrote:
It would perhaps be logical, as a compromise and "best of both worlds" solution to the "bling or no bling" issue to do a quick check of available memory on the computerat bootup Make fresh installs (i.e. no pup_save.2fs) on computers with more than 128mb of RAM default to IceWM (with pwidgets) as their window manager (for "bling"). Less then that and puppy 4.2 loads JWM with no Pwidgets (for speed).

That way, new puppy users with newer computers can be impressed by the looks (bling?) of Puppy, while new puppy users with older computers will be impressed its speed (and the fact it boots at all). Either way I know they are going to be impressed.
No matter whodo, its from about a page up
Interesting idea, but probably not feasible at this stage of the 4.2 development program. I'm sure there would be a way to do that, manipulating the windowmanager and 0_show_widgets files according to detected RAM size, but it's not a project for 4.2 ATM. Sorry.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com