Puppy 4.2 RC3 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

WhoDo

#31 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:1. In /root/puppy-reference, ROX shows six warning triangles for links that don't work: ps-pdf, spreadsheets, text, vector-images, video, xml.
Will fix for next release.
pa_mcclamrock wrote:2. My replacement code for /usr/bin/mtpaintsnapshot.sh wasn't substituted for the previous code, as I thought it was going to be
I've looked everywhere for this. I wanted to include it - had included it - but it was inadvertently overwritten by another package and I couldn't find your original again despite searching most of the posts in the Bugs & Fixes threads back to Alpha4!! Please post it here again and it WILL be included. :roll:
pa_mcclamrock wrote:3. I thought there was going to be an "intro" window telling users things like how to stop the Pwidgets display from appearing if they don't want to see it, but there isn't.
Replaced by Stop/Start option in Pwidgets manager. :wink:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

Re: widgets

#32 Post by WhoDo »

sata80 wrote:I have removed "show widgets" from startup folder and rebooted but widgets appear after i change wallpaper in JWM.
Not tested in iceWM.
Use "Stop Widgets" on File menu in Pwidgets manager and report.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

panzerpuppy

#33 Post by panzerpuppy »

I've been playing with RC3 for some time and here are my first impressions:

Close,but no cigar. Needs at least one more RC build.

A lot of bugs,complaints and stuff. Read on :)

- PetGet doesn't work (already fixed with the patch)
- The version of ALSA (1.0.16) used in 4.2 is really old. The latest one is 1.0.19
- When resizing the PWidgets 'add widgets' window,the window can be resized,but the content inside the window doesn't adapt to fit the window.
- Where is the GTKHash utility? I can't find it anywhere!
- The clock widget color changes to orange after adding a widget.
- 'Fit image to window size' doesn't work in GPicView :(
- PStopwatch and PTimer use 100% CPU (that's with a 2.6GHz machine !)
- There's no option to select preset zoom percentages in GPicView - a major disappointment.Clicking 100 times on the zoom button to zoom an image is not fun :(
- Maximizing the GPicView window and then selecting 'Fullscreen' screws up the image viewer.
- Gnumeric (1.8.4) can be updated to 1.9.4
- Flash Player 9 is still the old version (9.0.124)
- You can remove some crappy XLock screensavers to save space (i.e. the terrible 'ball' screensaver)
- The clock widget is moveable??? Weird,'cause the other widgets are not.
- Stardust.png or Deepthought.png should be replaced with the Blue Grass wallpaper.
The grass one looks like Windows7 / Vista and adds more variety. Stardust and Deepthought look very similar,so one of them must go :)
- How about using the enhanced JWM with the rounded corners and without those ugly window button separators?
- The new Puppy Control Panel is not in 4.2 RC :(
- You can remove XCalc. Do we need two calculators?
- Do we really need two font viewers and two clipboard managers?
- Barry's RP-PPPOE GUI is too simplistic and not user friendly.How about replacing it with the original RP-PPPOE GUI?

There's still a lot of stuff I haven't tested yet :)
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Sun 15 Mar 2009, 02:00, edited 2 times in total.

Minnesota

xorg etc

#34 Post by Minnesota »

xorg seems stuck on 1400x 1050 on Thinkpad... tried 600 and 800 and 1440 always get 1400 x 1050... might be Laptop???

Printer works on Brother 1440 PR

Thinkpad WIFI now recognized again :)

Looking good!

WhoDo

#35 Post by WhoDo »

Responses embedded below:
red = no can do
green = done
blue = I'll think about it
panzerpuppy wrote:- PetGet doesn't work (already fixed with the patch) ... and will be fixed permanently for the next release.
- The version of ALSA (1.0.16) used in 4.2 is really old. The latest is 1.0.19 ...Alsa 1.0.19 created dependency problems in one of the Alpha builds so we rolled back. It is in the repository so you can add it if you wish.
- When resizing the PWidgets 'add widgets' window,the window border can be resized,but the content inside the window doesn't adapt to fit the window. ...who does this? Aren't all the widgets visible when the window opens? If so, why resize it?
- Where is the GTKHash utility? I can't find it anywhere!...removed for space considerations.
- The clock widget color changes to orange after adding a widget. ...fixed in next release
- 'Fit image to window size' doesn't work in GPicView :(...noted
- PStopwatch and PTimer use 100% CPU (that's with a 2.6GHz machine !) ...noted
- There's no option to select preset zoom percentages in GPicView - a major disappointment.Clicking 100 times on the zoom button to zoom an image is not fun :(...noted
- Maximizing the GPicView window and then selecting 'Fullscreen' screws up the image viewer....noted
- Gnumeric (1.8.4) can be updated to 1.9.4...not for this release; we have a freeze in place until Final
- Flash Player 9 is still the old version (9.0.124)...fixed in next release
- You can remove some crap XLock screensavers to save some space (i.e. the terrible 'ball' screensaver) ...noted
- The clock widget is moveable??? Weird,'cause the other widgets are not. ...that's because Xonclock is a separate application only blended to the widgets. Make a "suggestion" in the Pwidgets thread if you want this feature changed
- Stardust.png or Deepthought.png should be replaced with the grass wallpaper. The grass one looks like Windows7 / Vista and adds more variety. Stardust and Deepthought look very similar,so one of them must go :).. Blue grass 40kb, Stardust & Deep Thought max 3kb each? Nah!
- How about using the enhanced JWM with the rounded corners and without those ugly window button separators? ... not in this release; we have a feature lock. Patriot agrees it's not ready yet.
- The new Puppy Control Panel is not in 4.2 RC :( ...still in development
- Remove XCalc? Do we need two calculators? ... comes built in with the Xserver which is why it hasn't been removed
- Do we really need two font viewers and two clipboard managers? ...Xclipboard and Xfontsel are built in with the Xserver which is why they haven't been removed. - all such apps are so small as to be not significant to size and would stand alone if they provided better functionality - that's why they have been supplemented with more comprehensive apps such as Galculator, Gfontsel and Parcellite.
- Barry's RP-PPPOE GUI looks ugly,it's too simplistic and not user friendly.How about replacing it with the original RP-PPPOE GUI? ...considered and discarded on size considerations. May revisit that for the next version which will likely be a beefier CE rather than this Standard edition.
panzerpuppy wrote:There's still a lot of stuff I haven't tested yet :)
Which prompts me to ask where was your testing when we needed it back in Alpha and Beta phases? Or even in RC1? Very little has changed in terms of your reported "issues" since those earlier releases, so why wait until the penultimate release? First Alpha was January 17!!! There would have been a lot less "red" in my response above if you had joined the testing effort much earlier.

pa_mcclamrock

#36 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:
pa_mcclamrock wrote:My replacement code for /usr/bin/mtpaintsnapshot.sh wasn't substituted for the previous code, as I thought it was going to be
I've looked everywhere for this. I wanted to include it - had included it - but it was inadvertently overwritten by another package and I couldn't find your original again despite searching most of the posts in the Bugs & Fixes threads back to Alpha4!! Please post it here again and it WILL be included. :roll:
OK, here goes:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env tclsh
package require Gnocl
set now [gnocl::button -text "Capture Now!" -onClicked {
	$win delete
	update
	exec mtpaint -s
}]
set can [gnocl::button -text "Cancel" -onClicked {$win delete}]
set nowbox [gnocl::box -orientation horizontal \
	-children [list $now $can] -fill {1 1} -expand 1]
set wait [gnocl::button -text "Wait: " -onClicked snap]
set secs 10
set num [gnocl::spinButton -digits 0 -variable secs]
set blab [gnocl::label -text " seconds"]
set waitbox [gnocl::box -orientation horizontal \
	-children [list $wait $num $blab] -fill {1 1} -expand 1]
set bigbox [gnocl::box -orientation vertical \
	-children [list $nowbox $waitbox]]
set win [gnocl::window -child $bigbox -title "mtPaint Capture"]
proc snap {} {
	$::wait configure -text "Waiting"
	after [expr {$::secs * 1000}] {
		$::win delete
		update
		exec mtpaint -s
	}
}
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

pa_mcclamrock

Re: widgets

#37 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

sata80 wrote:I have removed "show widgets" from startup folder and rebooted but widgets appear after i change wallpaper in JWM.
Not tested in iceWM.
Doesn't happen in IceWM, at least on my system--but I first applied "Edit --> Clear List" in the Pwidgets menu, and then I also removed "show widgets" from startup. [EDIT: Now I just used the "Stop" option too. Surely one of these methods will work for you, but it would be nice to have the best method made more obvious!]
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

panzerpuppy

#38 Post by panzerpuppy »

WhoDo wrote:Which prompts me to ask where was your testing when we needed it back in Beta phases? Or even in RC1? Very little has changed in terms of your reported "issues" since those earlier releases, so why wait until the penultimate release? First Alpha was January 17!!! There would have been a lot less "red" in my response above if you had joined the testing effort much earlier.
I was busy testing Woof and working on my 'secret Puppy project' ;)
(coming soon)

ttuuxxx

#39 Post by ttuuxxx »

I have seamonkey down to 11MB now, I'll keep that version and try one last time, also Pwidgets have been reported taking
'As I said somewhere else, TOP shows that the widgets use a total of 14 percent of my 256MB ram, and it shows in speed. '

now 14% of 256MB memory installed is terrible and you do need to consider the fact the puppy is made for older computers also, what kind of memory resources does it take on a 128mb pc? has anyone tried this?
also the poll I made has never went lower than 72% against widgets being installed by default, thats after 49 votes so far, Its still up to you WhoDo of course, but if puppy isn't useable on older pc's we might as well beef it up to 150MB iso. Most don't want Pwidgets what so ever, then after that they don't want it installled, actually the only people who want it is the guys working on it, Lobster and probably you. And it takes 500kb Compressed as a pet. Really I would rather have Gtk sum at 120kb over those widgets anyday and have 400kb left over.
take you time and maybe read the poll, truely pwidgets should be a complete pet in root with the puppy pin desktop icon pointed to it, nobody also wants the 133 new system links, I don't want you upset WhoDo like last time, but really man puppy doesn't need to lose users because they can't boot up anymore, that would be all 128MB memory users and less.
ttuuxxx
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39511
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

panzerpuppy

#40 Post by panzerpuppy »

WhoDo wrote:- Is there any way to prevent the clock widget from being moved? Weird,'cause the other widgets can't be moved. ...that's because Xonclock is a separate application only blended to the widgets. Make a "suggestion" in the Pwidgets thread if you want this feature changed
01micko wrote:We are thinking of doing this by default. Go to ~/.xonclockrc and edit "moveable = true" to false.
Fixed for RC4 ;)
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Sun 15 Mar 2009, 02:29, edited 3 times in total.

ttuuxxx

#41 Post by ttuuxxx »

Xclipboard ,Xfontsel, xcalc <--- you can delete the .desktop files and they won't show up in the menu, and if you want to go a bit further, just delete the bin files :)
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

#42 Post by ttuuxxx »

Seamonkey by default comes with 2 themes, classic and modern, this is what the 'modern' theme looks like, do you want the newer theme like what is in puppy now or do you want the modern theme as default with monkey menus as pictured below, it would have to be either default or deleted becausee it takes up over 400kb compressed. Thanks
ttuuxxx
Attachments
seamonkey.jpg
(101.24 KiB) Downloaded 1309 times

panzerpuppy

#43 Post by panzerpuppy »

WhoDo wrote:- Remove XCalc? Do we need two calculators? ... comes built in with the Xserver which is why it hasn't been removed

- Do we really need two font viewers and two clipboard managers? ...Xclipboard and Xfontsel are built in with the Xserver which is why they haven't been removed. - all such apps are so small as to be not significant to size and would stand alone if they provided better functionality - that's why they have been supplemented with more comprehensive apps such as Galculator, Gfontsel and Parcellite.
ttuuxxx wrote:Xclipboard ,Xfontsel, xcalc <--- you can delete the .desktop files and they won't show up in the menu, and if you want to go a bit further, just delete the bin files :)
That's 2x green (Fixed for RC4) ;)

01micko

#44 Post by 01micko »

WhoDo

Did you update the wallpaper setter to 0.5-3? I noticed stop the pwidgets option crashed the background until I installed wallpaper-setter-0.5-3

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

panzerpuppy

#45 Post by panzerpuppy »

ttuuxxx wrote:Seamonkey by default comes with 2 themes, classic and modern, this is what the 'modern' theme looks like, do you want the newer theme like what is in puppy now or do you want the modern theme as default with monkey menus as pictured below, it would have to be either default or deleted becausee it takes up over 400kb compressed. Thanks
ttuuxxx
You can delete the Modern Mozilla theme (it looks terrible :))

WhoDo

#46 Post by WhoDo »

panzerpuppy wrote:
WhoDo wrote:Which prompts me to ask where was your testing when we needed it back in Beta phases?
I was busy testing Woof and working on my 'secret Puppy project' ;)
(coming soon)
Well don't tell me about the project because then you'd have to kill me, and I've only just started to come back to life after a week in lurgy hell! :P

WhoDo

#47 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:I have seamonkey down to 11MB now, I'll keep that version and try one last time
This is good news ....
ttuuxxx wrote:...the poll I made has never went lower than 72% against widgets being installed by default, thats after 49 votes so far, Its still up to you WhoDo of course
... and this cruelty to animals - please stop beating that poor, dead horse! :P

I will say it just one ... more ... time; Pwidgets is IN and ON by default in Puppy-4.2 ... period (full stop if you prefer the vernacular). Pwidgets now has a Stop/Start option under File in the Pwidgets manager. Those who don't want it running can simply turn it off. Puppy is all about choice.

BTW, 49 votes doesn't even go close to representing a reasonable statistical sample of the Puppy population. There is usually between 200 and 300 registered users that come online in any one 24hr period, but there are a total of 14,821 registered users altogether. Some of them don't post for years! There is also an average of 8,150+ guests visiting here in any 24hr period. In that context 49 votes means squat, Jeff, even if this was a democracy ... which it isn't! Your (Benevolent) Dictator has spoken. :roll:

Great work on getting Seamonkey + Mail/News down to 11Mb! I'm sure that will be a popular download from the main repository. 8)

WhoDo

Re: xorg etc

#48 Post by WhoDo »

Minnesota wrote:xorg seems stuck on 1400x 1050 on Thinkpad... tried 600 and 800 and 1440 always get 1400 x 1050... might be Laptop???
You can always try editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf manually (after making a backup of course) to force a particular resolution IF you are certain your graphics will support that resolution/refresh rate combo.

Hope that helps
Last edited by WhoDo on Sun 15 Mar 2009, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#49 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Xclipboard ,Xfontsel, xcalc <--- you can delete the .desktop files and they won't show up in the menu, and if you want to go a bit further, just delete the bin files :)
True, but we gain nothing in terms of space and lose those extra applications which may suit some users better than the more complex versions. I understand now why Barry has never seen the point of deleting them and neither do I. :?

WhoDo

#50 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Seamonkey by default comes with 2 themes, classic and modern, this is what the 'modern' theme looks like, do you want the newer theme like what is in puppy now or do you want the modern theme as default with monkey menus as pictured below, it would have to be either default or deleted becausee it takes up over 400kb compressed.
Delete the Modern theme to make room for Seafox theme which should be the default for our builds IMHO. 8)