PowerPup! A project to port Puppy to PPC macs!

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
PowerPup

#61 Post by PowerPup »

Thanks Technosaurus! :D It will still be awhile before I get something that resembles Puppy. Considering that there isn't any sources of Puppy 3, It's probably a better idea to get PowerPup based on Puppy 4/5 instead. Don't know if much is needed to revise the initrd. Probably won't take much. (I figured I'd have to use t2-dingo.tar somewhere along the line.) :P

Anyway, thanks again for the resource links. I'll try to look over them later today. ;)

-PowerPup.

PowerPup

#62 Post by PowerPup »

Hey all, just wanted to give an update.

I just got hired Sunday so I won't work on PowerPup as often as I had. But I still plan on working on it. :D

Still haven't gotten around to checking what it would take to make PowerPup based on Puppy 4. Plan doing that next.

Puppy on!

-PowerPup.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#63 Post by Lobster »

I just got hired Sunday
Congratulations :)

Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?
Steve Jobs

eh . . . :oops: . . . not saying you are a pirate
(your CV is probably not required) :oops:
just wanted a Steve Job quote . . .

Good Luck - oh Aaaahhhhh!!! 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

PowerPup

#64 Post by PowerPup »

Lobster wrote:
I just got hired Sunday
Congratulations :)

Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?
Steve Jobs

eh . . . :oops: . . . not saying you are a pirate
(your CV is probably not required) :oops:
just wanted a Steve Job quote . . .

Good Luck - oh Aaaahhhhh!!! 8)
Lol! :lol: Actually I think that's a good quote. I'm working at McDonald's.
No updates as of yet on PowerPup. Been busy with Summer. :P

Aitch

#65 Post by Aitch »

Hi Powerpup

McDonalds.....Oh nooooo! :lol:

If ever you get back to your project, this gem from ttuuxxx may help with all that code...
ttuuxxx wrote:hi Guys I just came across this really nice and small text editor, It can use 26 different languages and you can also configure the fonts and other things all located in the menus, If we ever needed something 1/3 the size of Geany I think this could be a good contender.
here's a quote "
Code Browser is a folding and outlining editor for Linux. The editor is between a traditional text editor, a smalltalk class browser and a web browser like mozilla. It displays a structured text file (marker-based folding) hierarchically using multiple panes.

Code Browser is especially designed to keep a good overview of the code of large projects. Ideal if you are fed up of having to scroll through thousands of lines of code.

Code Browser supports syntax highlighting for all major languages and custom highlighting can also be added. Although Code Browser was designed to write and maintain programs, it can be used for different tasks such as plain text outlining or understanding existing source code."

code-browser-3.6-i386|code-browser|3.6-i386||Document|384K|pet_packages-4|code-browser-3.6-i386.pet||Text editor|puppy|4|4|
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=19570
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=19564
Ref: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1&start=15

Good Luck with your 'Job' [mind that your brain doesn't get fried, now :wink: ]

Aitch :)

PowerPup

#66 Post by PowerPup »

Lol! :lol: Don't worry, I've been keeping my head in my hat, so I'm "covered." :P

Actually, Slackintosh 12.1 includes KDE. And it's text edit tools Kate and Kwrite have syntax highlighting. So don't worry, got that "covered" too. ;)
Although it looks like a nifty little program. Think I might try to include it in PowerPup.

bru

#67 Post by bru »

Hey Mate!!

I try Your PowerPup_beta.iso on my ps3 and it works!!
1. i download Your .iso
2. mount & copy all to usb /powerpup
3. copy vmlinux from CELL-Linux-CL_20080609-ADDON.iso /powerpup/boot
4. make kboot.conf /powerpup/etc
5. plug usb to ps3 & boot powerpup with ps3-petitboot-09.06.09.bld

i dont know much how this should work but
i get this;)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
cheers
p.s. sorry for mistakes, im not english

PowerPup

#68 Post by PowerPup »

Wow bru! :shock: Considering that I don't own a PS3, I never thought about running it on one. :P That's so cool! :D

It went as far as I have developed it so far. The error you get (same as on the PPC macs) is because there is no "pup_301.sfs" file with the PPC compiled programs. That is what I am currently trying to figure out how to do.

technosaurus

#69 Post by technosaurus »

you can make an sfs using any directory tree... just copy your ppc tree to a folder that you can access from an x86 PC then make the sfs (using dir2sfs) from there and transfer it back over (assuming you used one of Barry's squashfs patched kernels with the same squashfs version)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

PowerPup

#70 Post by PowerPup »

Well technosaurus. It's not really an issue of creating the sfs file. It's an issue of compiling Puppy from source to PPC. Or at least building a sfs file from slackintosh (meaning I would need to make a small installation on a hard disk. could use ubuntu.)

bru

#71 Post by bru »

I can't wait final version PowerPUP. :D
I would like to help but i don't know much about compilng :oops:
i've installed Debian Lenny on my ps3 but i can try to install Slackintosh if need.
Ps3 emulates ppc64 architecture.

Cheers!!

nic2109

#72 Post by nic2109 »

Hey PowerPup; I do hope that you get the help you need. There are many of us with old macs that would be so super-cool to get Puppy running on. It's just SUCH an enticing prospect.

While there isn't anything like the same problem of perfectly good hardware going to landfill as with PCs, there'll be tens of thousands of obsolete macs doing nothing at all but whose owners cannot bare to discard. The development of a working Puppy for them could release these for active service again.

I can barely contain my excitement: as well as the Dell laptop mentioned in my signature I have an early all-in-one blueberry iMac sat in a box waiting for this! :P :P :P
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

PowerPup

#73 Post by PowerPup »

bru wrote:I can't wait final version PowerPUP. :D
I would like to help but i don't know much about compilng :oops:
i've installed Debian Lenny on my ps3 but i can try to install Slackintosh if need.
Ps3 emulates ppc64 architecture.

Cheers!!
Thanks bru! ;) Maybe someday when I learn to cross compile I'll make an optimized PPC64 version of PowerPup. :D Actually, I'm in the same boat. :P I need to learn more in order to compile everything. :roll:
nic2109 wrote:Hey PowerPup; I do hope that you get the help you need. There are many of us with old macs that would be so super-cool to get Puppy running on. It's just SUCH an enticing prospect.

While there isn't anything like the same problem of perfectly good hardware going to landfill as with PCs, there'll be tens of thousands of obsolete macs doing nothing at all but whose owners cannot bare to discard. The development of a working Puppy for them could release these for active service again.

I can barely contain my excitement: as well as the Dell laptop mentioned in my signature I have an early all-in-one blueberry iMac sat in a box waiting for this! Razz Razz Razz
Thank you Nic2109! Yeah, that's kinda why I started this project. Because there are only a handful of PPC linux OSes out there. (around or under 12)
If you can't wait for something for your iMac you can always put Ubuntu, Slackintosh, or Debian on it. If you know you way around linux you can even use Finnix and just add X and KDE XFCE, or Gnome. (I had thought of remastering Finnix, maybe one day.)

As of lately I've been a little sidetracked. I setup my old PowerMac 6100 and finally figured out how to use my IBM SCSI drive in it. (Had to ResEdit DriveSetup) Now it has double the disk space. (4GB) I decide with this extra space I'd try to setup a duel boot for Mac OS 9 and Debian 3.1. Has to be an older version because the only stable kernel for the Nubus macs is 2.4. But I've been having some trouble getting one to work for my 6400. :P So I'm going to try to compile my own kernel from their source code.

Reason why I'm messing with this stuff is because I hope to support these even older macs. :D They are currently working on a 2.6 kernel, so I'm going to try to help them out, at least on testing. :D So maybe one day PowerPup will support all PowerMacs. :D (But that's not for a loooonnnnngggg time.)

ChiJoan

What about the help from Novell's OpenSuse PowerPC version?

#74 Post by ChiJoan »

Hello,

I have a G4 PowerPC tower in the closet waiting for a faster OS, too. When I know I had installed OpenSuse PPC version, then read about that program of they started, I thought about your project. Maybe you should look into it?

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service
http://software.opensuse.org/

Ouch, OpenSuse only installs, but maybe they could change their minds. After all Ubuntu 6 was a Live CD.

Good luck with PowerPup and McDonalds,
ChiJoan

PowerPup

Re: What about the help from Novell's OpenSuse PowerPC version?

#75 Post by PowerPup »

ChiJoan wrote:Hello,

I have a G4 PowerPC tower in the closet waiting for a faster OS, too. When I know I had installed OpenSuse PPC version, then read about that program of they started, I thought about your project. Maybe you should look into it?

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service
http://software.opensuse.org/

Ouch, OpenSuse only installs, but maybe they could change their minds. After all Ubuntu 6 was a Live CD.

Good luck with PowerPup and McDonalds,
ChiJoan
Thanks ChiJoan, my job at McDonald's has been going well. Though I haven't been really doing anything with PowerPup for a while. Took some of the ram out of the G4 for use in the family computer. So I want to get some more ram before I get back to working on the project.

What I am probably going to do next is a minimal installation of slackintosh or another linux os and turn that into a sfs file. which I'll test on the CD. And slowly over time turn that into something more like Puppy Linux's sfs file.

ChiJoan

Remember to save money on that RAM

#76 Post by ChiJoan »

Hi,

When I sent that info to one of the Linux Mac reporters, he was very grateful, because Apple charges so much for parts and RAM. I hope that helps defray costs and helps get you back on track with PowerPup.

Take care,
ChiJoan

Aitch

#77 Post by Aitch »

PowerPup wrote:What I am probably going to do next is a minimal installation of slackintosh or another linux os and turn that into a sfs file. which I'll test on the CD. And slowly over time turn that into something more like Puppy Linux's sfs file.
Hi, PowerPup

Glad to hear the job's going OK, & that you haven't started squawking.... :wink: :lol:

Have you considered big_bass's slaxer_pup as a sort of stepping stone between the two?

It's based on slackware 12.2

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41298

Maybe that and slackintosh would provide a good solid base....

....when you get time, of course...nudge, nudge.... :roll:

PowerPup

#78 Post by PowerPup »

Aitch wrote:
PowerPup wrote:What I am probably going to do next is a minimal installation of slackintosh or another linux os and turn that into a sfs file. which I'll test on the CD. And slowly over time turn that into something more like Puppy Linux's sfs file.
Hi, PowerPup

Glad to hear the job's going OK, & that you haven't started squawking.... :wink: :lol:

Have you considered big_bass's slaxer_pup as a sort of stepping stone between the two?

It's based on slackware 12.2

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41298

Maybe that and slackintosh would provide a good solid base....

....when you get time, of course...nudge, nudge.... :roll:

Thanks for the advise Aitch, but from what I've read all big_bass really did was change the kernel and inird.gz files. Which I've already done. :) It uses the original puppy 412 base .sfs file. Which I need to recreate from scratch, hopefully using some of the pre-compiled packages from slackintosh and some of my own compiling. I won't need all of the puppy programs because PPC macs are more generic. ;)

ecomoney

#79 Post by ecomoney »

It works on a PS3? Did I read that right?

Could Puppy be the first LiveCD for a games console? It would essentially turn a stupifying device into a tool for education (and homework!) :twisted:
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Gnomie1

More Puppy please!

#80 Post by Gnomie1 »

I have a G3 iBook I will gladly test Puppy on! I am an avid Linux fan and have wished for a PPC Linux distro that will work. Keep working on it and good luck with the new kernel!