Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Sep 2014, 03:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
PowerPup! A project to port Puppy to PPC macs!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 12 [169 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
racepres

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct 2009, 23:22    Post subject:  

Hey PowerPup;
Where do you suppose the PowerPuppy Kernel is looking for the pup_301.sfs to be at anyway??? Could it be on hdd/usbdrive/cd??? Just curious where it would be "looking"
RP
PowerPup

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 21:10    Post subject:  

racepres wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Quote:
Trying to Look for a cheap LCD.

Where in the states are you? Maybe a local Mac Puppian can help you out? Cool

Like Me for instance... I travel the I65 corridor regularly.
RP

I live in the state of Washington. Cool I'll probably look around on the local freecycle group. Very Happy

racepres wrote:
Hey PowerPup;
Where do you suppose the PowerPuppy Kernel is looking for the pup_301.sfs to be at anyway??? Could it be on hdd/usbdrive/cd??? Just curious where it would be "looking"
RP

The problem isn't where it's looking for the pup_301.sfs file. (Because I used a test file on one of my G4's hard drive and it worked.)

The problem is I need to create a pup_301.sfs file with PPC compiled programs and such. It uses the original puppy scripts, so it technically should be able to locate the sfs file on any media puppy supports. Smile
omskates

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct 2009, 01:23    Post subject:  

Any plans on how to get around the Adobe Flash 10 issues with PPC architecture? From what I can remember Adobe doesn't port it to ppc and all you can do is "grab" videos with other software rather than streaming.
omskates

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct 2009, 03:21    Post subject:  

Powerpup, I PM'd you about a PowerBook G4.
racepres

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct 2009, 10:32    Post subject:  

PowerPup wrote:

The problem isn't where it's looking for the pup_301.sfs file. (Because I used a test file on one of my G4's hard drive and it worked.)

The problem is I need to create a pup_301.sfs file with PPC compiled programs and such. It uses the original puppy scripts, so it technically should be able to locate the sfs file on any media puppy supports. Smile

Yea I found that out this A.M. Took the sfs from "WhiteFang" and just dropped it onto my debian hdd and then booted into your CD. It sure does try to get into it! But eventually had a [expected] kernel panic! Certainly looks as if it will eventually work.
Again anything you want tested.... just give a yell...
RP
PowerPup

PostPosted: Sun 01 Nov 2009, 03:33    Post subject:  

omskates wrote:
Any plans on how to get around the Adobe Flash 10 issues with PPC architecture? From what I can remember Adobe doesn't port it to ppc and all you can do is "grab" videos with other software rather than streaming.

I'll probably try to use Gnash for flash movies. Smile

racepres wrote:
PowerPup wrote:

Yea I found that out this A.M. Took the sfs from "WhiteFang" and just dropped it onto my debian hdd and then booted into your CD. It sure does try to get into it! But eventually had a [expected] kernel panic! Certainly looks as if it will eventually work.
Again anything you want tested.... just give a yell...
RP

Yeah, it did a better job with the sfs file I copied off my PPC ubuntu CD. It ended in the command line, but I couldn't start x. Razz

Don't worry, I'll give a holler when I have something. Very Happy
racepres

PostPosted: Sun 01 Nov 2009, 10:52    Post subject:  

PowerPup wrote:

Yeah, it did a better job with the sfs file I copied off my PPC ubuntu CD. It ended in the command line, but I couldn't start x. Razz

Don't worry, I'll give a holler when I have something. Very Happy

I think that starting x may be a challenge anyway. In my experiences [with debian] the proper X11/x.config has been critical for the machine used... not auto detected at all for the G3iMac, decent for the g4, difficult on the powerbook G3, and nearly impossible on a powerbook 1400.
If you need some x.config values for different machines LMK
RP
nic2109

PostPosted: Sun 01 Nov 2009, 17:08    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Quote:
Trying to Look for a cheap LCD.

I have given CRT monitors and other stuff to these guys
http://www.freecycle.org/
and got one old but working LCD monitor for my Mac (which I also got from them)

In fact CRT monitors are often left out in the London streets.
Appreciate things may be different where you are. Confused
Where in the states are you? Maybe a local Mac Puppian can help you out? Cool

Just to let the world know (Lobster will know this already if he's an active Freecycler) that this excellent movement is (very sadly) fragmenting as the owners of the 'Freecycle' brand have become very dictatorial and also have links with waste management interests with some dubious stuff in their history.

In the UK folk unhappy with the way it's been going have set up parallel organisations called Freegle and Realcycle. So you do have a choice.

But the idea of saving the planet one gift at a time is compelling, so do please follow this up.

Here endeth the sermon. Wink

omskates

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov 2009, 03:43    Post subject:  

PowerPup wrote:

I'll probably try to use Gnash for flash movies. Smile

SWFDEC, maybe another possibility? Though I'm not any where near skilled to help develop it for PowerPup (sorry)
http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/wiki/
mmmrr

PostPosted: Sat 21 Nov 2009, 12:24    Post subject: ibook g3 outofbox reaches commandline, wired internet, fast
Subject description: then what to do?

hi all, congrats powerpup

in puppy fashion your progress has urged me to try
other thing which may be useful, because i could not
find a link to yr pup at that moment i clicked on
live cd link to list of live cd linux in post of technosaurous
page 1 this topic.....
[http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Live+CD&origin=All&basedon=All&desktop=All&architecture=powerpc&status=Active]

chose finnix.org,, the little wonder which booted as fast and reliably
as a puppy [on ibook g3] to the commandline, wired internet access alas no gui i could find...it might be a useful launching pad

i don't know cli enough to use the built in sysadmin
tools or to fetch install gui ...it has 4 consoles

anybody pointing me towards getting a gui up gets
big thanks, now i'll resume hunt for yr iso link and
give it a go, thx for getting this ball rolling, puppy
stuff on one of these babies--ibook--is hellacious...

cheers, mm

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Live+CD&origin=All&basedon=All&desktop=All&architecture=powerpc&status=Active
MacPuppy

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov 2009, 18:51    Post subject:  

Hey everybody,

I just registered on this forum to tell you that I think what you are doing is great. I have Puppy Linux on an aging Dell laptop with a bad hard drive and I'm very pleased with the results. What I like the most about it is that making persistence mode is a no-brainer and most of all, you can eject the CD and use the drive to burn more ISOs. Thanks to all the how-to's posted online I have configured the printer and installed Java and OpenOffice--all on the first try. I can't wait to have it installed on my ancient G4. How long until there's an usable bootable image?
racepres

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov 2009, 22:37    Post subject:  

"Jeeeze!1 Go Easy... calling a G4 ancient, is killin' me... That's the newest Mac I've got... and preferred BTW cause I can't tolerate Intel/Mac.... sheesh.. talk about a sell out... Anyway I still figure that os10.3.9 is the berries on G4's and Later G3's..Much better than the Ubuntu/Debian/Gentoo stuff I have tried. It's my early G3's that are "Challenged" But... YMMV
Rant Over...
RP
MacPuppy

PostPosted: Tue 24 Nov 2009, 01:04    Post subject:  

What's your problem? I came here to show my respect and you call me a sellout? That's the way you treat people? I'd say there's something wrong with your brain pal, but that can't be because you don't have one. Adios.
omskates

PostPosted: Tue 24 Nov 2009, 04:11    Post subject:  

MacPuppy wrote:
What's your problem? I came here to show my respect and you call me a sellout? That's the way you treat people? I'd say there's something wrong with your brain pal, but that can't be because you don't have one. Adios.

I sincerely hope racepres was just being chummy with you. Probably more tact to give comrades a little fun sh*@ when you know them a lot better. MacPuppy I hope you stick around, I rarely have seen a forum this friendly overall and they do not tolerate real flaming. Age of a computer is completely subjective and definitely a perspective that varies among age groups. By the way, G4 PPC processors being retired and as fast as this tech progresses you weren't entirely inaccurate IMO Very Happy
racepres

PostPosted: Tue 24 Nov 2009, 17:55    Post subject:  

HHmmm! As for "sell-out" I was referring to the Apple corp. in general for the Intel deal... not any individual, and certainly not a fellow forum member... [You].
I guess there is no Humor in the fact that My company is able to make a reasonable living using "ancient" technology!! I have been using [and making my living with] Mac since "system 6" on a Performa! And am kinda used to a more dedicated "Mac" community, certainly a better sense of humor! But I understand the misunderstanding... No Flame intended... RP
Page 7 of 12 [169 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: