PowerPup! A project to port Puppy to PPC macs!

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
racepres

#91 Post by racepres »

Hey PowerPup;
Where do you suppose the PowerPuppy Kernel is looking for the pup_301.sfs to be at anyway??? Could it be on hdd/usbdrive/cd??? Just curious where it would be "looking"
RP

PowerPup

#92 Post by PowerPup »

racepres wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Trying to Look for a cheap LCD.
Where in the states are you? Maybe a local Mac Puppian can help you out? 8)
Like Me for instance... I travel the I65 corridor regularly.
RP
I live in the state of Washington. 8) I'll probably look around on the local freecycle group. :D

racepres wrote:Hey PowerPup;
Where do you suppose the PowerPuppy Kernel is looking for the pup_301.sfs to be at anyway??? Could it be on hdd/usbdrive/cd??? Just curious where it would be "looking"
RP
The problem isn't where it's looking for the pup_301.sfs file. (Because I used a test file on one of my G4's hard drive and it worked.)

The problem is I need to create a pup_301.sfs file with PPC compiled programs and such. It uses the original puppy scripts, so it technically should be able to locate the sfs file on any media puppy supports. :)

omskates

#93 Post by omskates »

Any plans on how to get around the Adobe Flash 10 issues with PPC architecture? From what I can remember Adobe doesn't port it to ppc and all you can do is "grab" videos with other software rather than streaming.

omskates

#94 Post by omskates »

Powerpup, I PM'd you about a PowerBook G4.

racepres

#95 Post by racepres »

PowerPup wrote: The problem isn't where it's looking for the pup_301.sfs file. (Because I used a test file on one of my G4's hard drive and it worked.)

The problem is I need to create a pup_301.sfs file with PPC compiled programs and such. It uses the original puppy scripts, so it technically should be able to locate the sfs file on any media puppy supports. :)
Yea I found that out this A.M. Took the sfs from "WhiteFang" and just dropped it onto my debian hdd and then booted into your CD. It sure does try to get into it! But eventually had a [expected] kernel panic! Certainly looks as if it will eventually work.
Again anything you want tested.... just give a yell...
RP

PowerPup

#96 Post by PowerPup »

omskates wrote:Any plans on how to get around the Adobe Flash 10 issues with PPC architecture? From what I can remember Adobe doesn't port it to ppc and all you can do is "grab" videos with other software rather than streaming.
I'll probably try to use Gnash for flash movies. :)

racepres wrote:
PowerPup wrote: The problem isn't where it's looking for the pup_301.sfs file. (Because I used a test file on one of my G4's hard drive and it worked.)

Yea I found that out this A.M. Took the sfs from "WhiteFang" and just dropped it onto my debian hdd and then booted into your CD. It sure does try to get into it! But eventually had a [expected] kernel panic! Certainly looks as if it will eventually work.
Again anything you want tested.... just give a yell...
RP
Yeah, it did a better job with the sfs file I copied off my PPC ubuntu CD. It ended in the command line, but I couldn't start x. :P

Don't worry, I'll give a holler when I have something. :D

racepres

#97 Post by racepres »

PowerPup wrote: Yeah, it did a better job with the sfs file I copied off my PPC ubuntu CD. It ended in the command line, but I couldn't start x. :P

Don't worry, I'll give a holler when I have something. :D
I think that starting x may be a challenge anyway. In my experiences [with debian] the proper X11/x.config has been critical for the machine used... not auto detected at all for the G3iMac, decent for the g4, difficult on the powerbook G3, and nearly impossible on a powerbook 1400.
If you need some x.config values for different machines LMK
RP

nic2109

#98 Post by nic2109 »

Lobster wrote:
Trying to Look for a cheap LCD.
I have given CRT monitors and other stuff to these guys
http://www.freecycle.org/
and got one old but working LCD monitor for my Mac (which I also got from them)

In fact CRT monitors are often left out in the London streets.
Appreciate things may be different where you are. :?
Where in the states are you? Maybe a local Mac Puppian can help you out? 8)
Just to let the world know (Lobster will know this already if he's an active Freecycler) that this excellent movement is (very sadly) fragmenting as the owners of the 'Freecycle' brand have become very dictatorial and also have links with waste management interests with some dubious stuff in their history.

In the UK folk unhappy with the way it's been going have set up parallel organisations called Freegle and Realcycle. So you do have a choice.

But the idea of saving the planet one gift at a time is compelling, so do please follow this up.

Here endeth the sermon. :wink:
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

omskates

#99 Post by omskates »

PowerPup wrote: I'll probably try to use Gnash for flash movies. :)
SWFDEC, maybe another possibility? Though I'm not any where near skilled to help develop it for PowerPup (sorry)
http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/wiki/

mmmrr

ibook g3 outofbox reaches commandline, wired internet, fast

#100 Post by mmmrr »

hi all, congrats powerpup

in puppy fashion your progress has urged me to try
other thing which may be useful, because i could not
find a link to yr pup at that moment i clicked on
live cd link to list of live cd linux in post of technosaurous
page 1 this topic.....
[http://distrowatch.com/search.php?categ ... tus=Active]

chose finnix.org,, the little wonder which booted as fast and reliably
as a puppy [on ibook g3] to the commandline, wired internet access alas no gui i could find...it might be a useful launching pad

i don't know cli enough to use the built in sysadmin
tools or to fetch install gui ...it has 4 consoles

anybody pointing me towards getting a gui up gets
big thanks, now i'll resume hunt for yr iso link and
give it a go, thx for getting this ball rolling, puppy
stuff on one of these babies--ibook--is hellacious...

cheers, mm

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?categ ... tus=Active

MacPuppy

#101 Post by MacPuppy »

Hey everybody,

I just registered on this forum to tell you that I think what you are doing is great. I have Puppy Linux on an aging Dell laptop with a bad hard drive and I'm very pleased with the results. What I like the most about it is that making persistence mode is a no-brainer and most of all, you can eject the CD and use the drive to burn more ISOs. Thanks to all the how-to's posted online I have configured the printer and installed Java and OpenOffice--all on the first try. I can't wait to have it installed on my ancient G4. How long until there's an usable bootable image?

racepres

#102 Post by racepres »

"Jeeeze!1 Go Easy... calling a G4 ancient, is killin' me... That's the newest Mac I've got... and preferred BTW cause I can't tolerate Intel/Mac.... sheesh.. talk about a sell out... Anyway I still figure that os10.3.9 is the berries on G4's and Later G3's..Much better than the Ubuntu/Debian/Gentoo stuff I have tried. It's my early G3's that are "Challenged" But... YMMV
Rant Over...
RP

MacPuppy

#103 Post by MacPuppy »

What's your problem? I came here to show my respect and you call me a sellout? That's the way you treat people? I'd say there's something wrong with your brain pal, but that can't be because you don't have one. Adios.

omskates

#104 Post by omskates »

MacPuppy wrote:What's your problem? I came here to show my respect and you call me a sellout? That's the way you treat people? I'd say there's something wrong with your brain pal, but that can't be because you don't have one. Adios.
I sincerely hope racepres was just being chummy with you. Probably more tact to give comrades a little fun sh*@ when you know them a lot better. MacPuppy I hope you stick around, I rarely have seen a forum this friendly overall and they do not tolerate real flaming. Age of a computer is completely subjective and definitely a perspective that varies among age groups. By the way, G4 PPC processors being retired and as fast as this tech progresses you weren't entirely inaccurate IMO :D

racepres

#105 Post by racepres »

HHmmm! As for "sell-out" I was referring to the Apple corp. in general for the Intel deal... not any individual, and certainly not a fellow forum member... [You].
I guess there is no Humor in the fact that My company is able to make a reasonable living using "ancient" technology!! I have been using [and making my living with] Mac since "system 6" on a Performa! And am kinda used to a more dedicated "Mac" community, certainly a better sense of humor! But I understand the misunderstanding... No Flame intended... RP

Tester

#106 Post by Tester »

ha if it wold work on old hardware this would be great.i love my peforma.

PowerPup

#107 Post by PowerPup »

Woah, I didn't realize that there were new posts! :shock: Thought I had it setup to notify me. (Wish the forum would get updated. I could even help with that. ;) )

But anyway, thanks for all your encouragement. :D
mmmrr wrote: i could not find a link to yr pup at that moment.
You can find the latest beta iso here. http://powerpup.yi.org/PowerPup_beta.iso

MacPuppy wrote:How long until there's an usable bootable image?
Unfortunately I don't really know. At the moment I'm the only one working on PowerPup. And I'm learning Linux, programming, etc, as I go. So there isn't a deadline or anything.
Tester wrote:ha if it wold work on old hardware this would be great.i love my peforma.
Actually, I'm watching the Nubus Kernel Project very closely. I'm even helping out with testing on my old hardware. Once they have a stable 2.6 kernel out. PowerPup on Old World Macs will be possible. :D
omskates wrote:SWFDEC, maybe another possibility? Though I'm not any where near skilled to help develop it for PowerPup (sorry)
http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/wiki/
Hm.. Pretty interesting. :D I'll look into it (As well as Gnash,) when the time for flash comes. (Right now it's getting a desktop environment.)

Now for an update on my progress:
I haven't touched PowerPup during the summer. (My summer job took care of that. :P) But now that summer is over.... It's back to my schooling. :roll:
But I am starting work on my project again. :D One of the things I was looking was a small x server or the source of a stripped version.

But what I have found is MicroXwin. Much simpler than having a server-client method. Not many people have more than one terminal running at one time anyway. I've seen a couple of topics here about MicroXwin. But nothing for Puppy really came out of them.. (Sort of...)

I'm also gonna try out the latest version of busybox. :D

Puppy on!

Aitch

#108 Post by Aitch »

PowerPup wrote:MacPuppy wrote:
How long until there's an usable bootable image?

Unfortunately I don't really know. At the moment I'm the only one working on PowerPup. And I'm learning Linux, programming, etc, as I go. So there isn't a deadline or anything.
See Joe's Slaxer thread
Aitch wrote:
amigo wrote:I have an iMac, so I'll probably run off a ppc port first
Can you let PowerPup know in this thread, when you've done it....I'll be interested too if it'll work on a G3?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=105

thanks, both :D

Aitch :)
amigo wrote:Aitch, when I get something working for PPC, I'll pass along the tip in that thread.
:D :D

PowerPup

#109 Post by PowerPup »

Thanks Aitch! :D I really do appreciate all the effort you're doing to help me.

Aitch

#110 Post by Aitch »

Aw c'mon....
Just a bit of friendly encouragement.... :D

Enclosed PPC developer's award :wink: :lol:

Attachments
awesome.jpg
(4.39 KiB) Downloaded 1596 times