Sentbox Savebox confusion

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
kethd

Sentbox Savebox confusion

#1 Post by kethd »

This phpBB Forum has very poor embedded explanations of the Private Messaging mailboxes.

The names: < Inbox Sentbox Outbox Savebox > appear in an odd order, and no Help is available. The only thing close to ? is the FAQ, which does not have anything relevant to say.

I had to Google the phpBB site to learn that the Savebox is for manually putting items from the Inbox, and the Sentbox is where items in the Outbox automagically get transferred when an Outbox message is actually read by the intended recipient. This is far from obvious!
A first-time user is simply baffled, and most will not know how, or will not bother, to go to the great effort to find the answer. The most immediate, urgent confusion that hits a first-time user is, How do I make messages in the Outbox actually send?
(The answer is, relax, if they are in the Outbox that are already "Sent", in the sense of being available to the person you are messaging. But you can still edit or even delete the msg, until it is read, at which point it will transfer to Sentbox and be Frozen in time. If you delete the msg before it is read, the recipient will be confused -- they will get a notification, but when they try to read the msg, it won't be there.)

I don't think I can fix the PM page, or edit the FAQ. I could create a Wiki entry, but the perplexed would be unlikely to find it in their Time of Need.

Do we have a forum administrator who can edit the FAQ, if not the PM pages themselves? And maybe link to an entry in our Wiki where we can all add relevant tips?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

JohnMurga set up this forum on his server. He's the main administrator, but he made me a forum administrator too. I have no experience, so I'm learning on the job. So far, it seems there is much about the look and arrangement of the forum that is beyond my limited power to change. For instance the forum clock is about 33 minutes fast, but I can find no provision in the Administration GUI for adjusting it. Editing the FAQ is pretty much out of the question as far as I'm concerned.

The phpBB software is, like Puppy Linux, completely free; developed and maintained by volunteer enthusiasts. I'm sure the appropriate developers would appreciate a clear, concise, well written and friendly assessment such as you make here. :)

Meanwhile I'll keep your observations in mind as I learn in fits and starts about phpBB forum administration. :lol: Maybe I'll stumble across some solutions. One thing that might help is, if you see a phpBB forum somewhere else that is, in your opinion, superior to Puppy's, I'd appreciate a link to it so I can study it and maybe ask the administrator for some tips.

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

For the faq I'm pretty sure you'd have to edit the scripts. It looks to me like the faq is stored in PHPBB2/language/lang_english/lang_faq.php, where "PHPBB2" is the directory that the forum is installed in (I think %7Epuppy/ in this case) and "lang_english" is the language in use. Here it would just be english, but if you had multiple languages supported you would have to edit all of them.

That isn't possible through the admin panel unless you install a mod that does it. I don't know if such a mod even exists though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]