My Puppy is more gorgeous than yours!

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
Alucard_the_dex

#16 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Hehehe to bad im gonna have to loose it Im gonna Format and remaster this week. then after that im gonna write up a how Too.
~Puppy Linux~ Where mans best friend becomes PCs best friend

Dougal

#17 Post by Dougal »

I could never understand why people cover their desktops with icons...
Attachments
Desktop.jpg
(56.6 KiB) Downloaded 12305 times

Alucard_the_dex

#18 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Me ither i only got 4 icons that i use allll the time so i kinda need um.

Pizzasgood

#19 Post by Pizzasgood »

I normally only have about five icons, because it's faster to click an icon than dig through menu's. I stick a couple on the toolbar too. I just hadn't gotten around to removing and moving my icons yet when I made that screenshot. I used to use the desktop a lot back in Windows, but I started using Litestep, and though it supports links on the desktop, it is nowhere near as easy to use as when Explorer makes it. It also doesn't look good if you recycle (restart) Litestep with anything covering the "useable" area, so I tended to make that part small, which limited me to two rows of icons. So I was already weaned of the cluttered-desktop syndrome when I started Puppy. In fact, the default puppy has far too many icons for my tastes. The interfere with my wallpapers. But I see where it's good for newcommers and lazy people because it makes it faster to find stuff. Really, the wallpaper-lovers and minimal-desktop people are the ones being wierd, because they are sacrificing functionality for looks. Strangely, though, the heavy-users are the ones who go minimalist, and random Joe has the cluttered desktop. I guess it's because they stare at the screen so long that they need to look at a nice wallpaper every now and then to sooth their eyes. :)

Oh, and I'm lumped in with those "wallpaper-lovers and minimal-desktop peopl." After all, I'm the one who has about 100MB of wallpapers that I've yet to use.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Rhino

#20 Post by Rhino »

OK, so here is my entry! This is Puppy 1.07a with Gentoo icons and a Firefox wallpaper. I think I need to lose a few icons, but they look so nice :-)

gliezl

#21 Post by gliezl »

could u share some of your icons? they are beautiful... :-)
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#22 Post by GuestToo »

could u share some of your icons?
http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/icons.xml
Note: A tarball of all of these icons may be downloaded here (5922kb)

Dougal

#23 Post by Dougal »

Pizzasgood wrote: But I see where it's good for newcommers and lazy people because it makes it faster to find stuff. Really, the wallpaper-lovers and minimal-desktop people are the ones being wierd, because they are sacrificing functionality for looks.
I disagree with that. When you've got windows open your desktop is covered so you can't access the icons! (unless you switch to another desktop)

Having your "icons" on a panel makes them most easy to access. (and being able to click anywhere on the screeen for the menue makes the rest of the applications more easy to access than the icons.
That's how I see it, anyway.

Alucard_the_dex

#24 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Dougal wrote:I disagree with that. When you've got windows open your desktop is covered so you can't access the icons! (unless you switch to another desktop)
True Enough In Windows i eliminated my icons on the desktop and used My Quick task bar. Ive been trying to do the same in puppy only i cant seem to make my entries work.

puppian

let the world see your puppy

#25 Post by puppian »

Very nice puppy screenshots in this thread 8)
Don't forget to add yours to this page too! :D
http://puppylinux.org/user/photogallery.php?album=3
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

MU

#26 Post by MU »

Alucard_the_dex wrote:True Enough In Windows i eliminated my icons on the desktop and used My Quick task bar. Ive been trying to do the same in puppy only i cant seem to make my entries work.
Try this:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4632

I just updated the Dotpup, now it has an additional icon to launch mozilla, dillo and sylpheed.

Mark

Pizzasgood

#27 Post by Pizzasgood »

I disagree with that. When you've got windows open your desktop is covered so you can't access the icons! (unless you switch to another desktop)
Yes, but unless you have something launch on boot, you will have immediate access to your stuff. Also, if you don't run everyting maximized (like listening to music), you can still get to them. Look at it this way: Having them there doesn't remove functionality, and it gives a boost right after booting.

As for the toolbar, that's my preffered method too. As I said, I'm one of the minimal-desktop crowd. :wink:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Ted best of Dog

choose your favorite puppies online picutres

#28 Post by Ted best of Dog »

bombayrockers

#29 Post by bombayrockers »

fluxbox + xp theme
rox pinboard + gentoo icons
tux wallpaper
qtcurve gtk engines.
good fonts by recompiling freetype (available as dotpup in additional software ), gdkxft, using bitstream vera fonts.
Attachments
qtcurve.jpg
(140.4 KiB) Downloaded 7953 times

MU

#30 Post by MU »

hey Bombay, the fonts look real good :shock: :P

bombayrockers

#31 Post by bombayrockers »

freetype-6.3.8.pup and bitstream.pup are available in the additional software forum if you want to try. To get the fonts in gtk apps you will have to edit you gtkrc files.

MU

#32 Post by MU »

Thanks Bombay.
hmmm... different,but not perfect.

Must play around with the settings a bit.
I think the freetype has the most important effect.

I personally prefer non-Antialiased fonts, how they are used by Gtk1.
On my old Mandrake I once had found a way, to activate AA only for large fonts.
must find out again, how that works.

Mark

bombayrockers

#33 Post by bombayrockers »

i recompiled gdkxft and it produced a gtkrc file. I merged the contents of this with my gtk theme. However qtcurve does this by itself no need to edit the gtkrc. I will upload these files later.

#34 Post by Guest »

I once had found a way, to activate AA only for large fonts
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XftConfig

match
any size < 14
edit
antialias = false;

MU

#35 Post by MU »

Guest, no, this is for xft1 only, but puppy uses xft2 I think?

I get no effects on gtk2 and Mozilla.