Puppy 4.2 RC4 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

Libretto100ct

#81 Post by Libretto100ct »

After trying 90 =/- Linux distros over the last x-amount of years, I settled on Puppy Linux. It has fully replaced Windows on my personal and business computers.

I've handed out a LOT of Puppy CD's on my own dime over the last 2 years because I believe in the project.

I've turned a lot of people, professionals, on to the OS and they too have shared the Puppy experience with others.

I have never personally invited anyone to this forum because ttuuxx's unprofessional and erratic behavior that absolutely takes away credibility from the Puppy Community. It's embarrassing, period.
I volunteer in my local Community, so I fully understand putting personal time, effort, resources, passion and taking away limited time with my family. But I also know that acting like the above removes my role, volunteer or not, from most any org.

What I can not understand is why this is an acceptable behavior on an public internet forum that is supposed to win people over to the product?

I have owned and operated forums with up to 15,000 active members. None of them would have got there without proactive Moderators.

Did it ever occur to anyone associated with the core group of Puppy advocates, that there are other possibly other talented people that are on the same level of proficiency as ttuuxx that do not post, add content, or help on this website because they do not care for the consistent threat of confrontation?

Why are there not any proactive Mods here to take action when it's obvious some people can not self police themselves?

Has anyone over the last 2 years noticed how many people have come and gone on these forums? Not because of dissatisfaction with the product, but with what they read here.

It's NOT welcoming and lacks class.

I don't care for any other other Linux distros, but if I was an average user experimenting with Linux, all the "drama" in the forums would have me looking elsewhere if I was hoping for tech support.

To answer ttuuxx's pattern of asking what I or anyone else has offered these forums, the rhetorical answer can be found above. Until the "it's all about ttuuxx" personality flaw is put aside for the betterment of Puppy, the answer will remain the same.

I'm here for the duration, so I'm not going anywhere.

4.2 is coming along well. No I can't use it on my dated computers, but I like it none the less if not for any other reason than it's a Community effort based on compromise. Since it's a tradition of releasing a full bells and whistles version before the "fat free/bare bones" versions come out, I fail to see where this time is any different.

4.0 was the best version for old hardware to date out of the 4 series. I'm a retro PC user (for fun- not business), so arguing 4.1.2 by itself is better for older PC's is not intellectually honest.

And lastly having been in manufacturing and sales most of my adult life, yes "bling" or the packaging is what sells a product. 4.2 has a potential of reaching 5 on Distrowatch. IMHO.

However after someone takes it home, how well it works, or not, determines whether people buy the next version (upgrade) or write it off completely. That should be the only concern at this point, not arguing the look or features, but the functionality as is.

No one asked for such an opinion, but since theses forums appear to be unmoderated, does it really matter? :?:
Last edited by Libretto100ct on Fri 20 Mar 2009, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#82 Post by 01micko »

Chris

The shading is a feature.

If you open Pwidgets gui and click 'plugins|sidebars' you will see there are plenty of 'shading' alternatives including 'remove'. (click 'right' then 'remove')

Try it, and if it doesn't work with Xvesa let us know

Cheers

Mick
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

WhoDo

#83 Post by WhoDo »

trio wrote:whodo I just add a freememapplet swallow in /root/.jwmrctray...[snip]...

and it works just fine..don't use freememappletdelayed, it won't show!
Thanks, trio. Included for next release. 8)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#84 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:1. Menu icon 'refresh' is not following the rest of the theme. I have attached a new icon
Yes, I noted that myself and was going to ask you make one to match your theme. You beat me to it! Thanks, Sigmund. 8)
zigbert wrote:2. Menu item 'Gxine' is not aligned as the others. I have attached an alternative .desktop file
I think the problem here relates to the weird form factor of the gxine icon, but I'll have a look at your .desktop file and see if that helps.
zigbert wrote:3. I sent you updated script to use gtk windows instead of x-lib.
Floppy-format.sh
xsaneshell
Pdisk
If that's not interesting, it's ok, else this is a reminder.
Oooh.. must have missed these ones. I'll include these for the next release. Thanks. 8)
zigbert wrote:4. So to the first-boot clock issue. The fix is simple (of course) and in my opinion genial. What makes trouble is fixpuppypin script in .xinitrc. If this is skipped, clock shows up. I have not looked inside fixpuppypin because I think the best solution is to skip it. - Warren, if you move trash/lock icon to the left of the screen you solve 2 bugs. Both clock and unaligned icons at right side. It's a win/win situation. Of course the best would be to remove most of the left sided icons, but as you said earlier. - Because icewm lacks the 'add icon' feature, you won't remove them. I'm sorry for it.
fixpuppypin script call is Barry's original workaround to ensure the Xlock icon goes to the right side of the pinboard. It also occasionally fouls up and moves a whole column of icons over there, as has been reported here before. I have been putting off making a change in this behaviour, but now might be the right time to bite that bullet. Thanks, Sigmund.
zigbert wrote:5. Have you considered a less complex wallpaper. These works in 16bits colourdepth and for normal/wide screens. - Simple gimp creations.
I was actually considering using nanotek, but decided it was just too blue. :P When choosing the crystal shore background I had in mind what the Puppy screenshot would look like to refugees wanting to move to Linux and decided that anything too plain wouldn't have the right amount of appeal.

Deep Thought or Stardust would have been just the right mix of sharpness and plainness IMHO, but the 16bit issue is insurmountable for me. Anything plainer doesn't have the required balance. I also purposely went for an image that offers a blend of colours as part of the image and not much of anything else for the very same reason. Crystal shore was as close as I could get in an image to that desired blend. I just hope it works the way I expect.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#85 Post by WhoDo »

gerry wrote:Just booted RC4 from live cd, pfix=ram. Clicked the bar at the top of the screen that says "Click here for welcome info.....". First item on here is about "Ram Space: A readout on the taskbar shows......" Erm, really? Not on mine it doesn't.
Yes, that's sorted for the next release. Freememapplet will be back in JWM as pictured. Thanks, gerry. 8)

WhoDo

#86 Post by WhoDo »

aragon wrote:if you left it out for size => no problem. <opinion>for usability it would be nice to have it in. </opinion>

WAIT: Now i see, it's 474 kb :shock:
Aww, man ... I was all ready to put it in until you told be how much it weighs! :( I'll see what I can do, but the inclusion of tcl/tk and gnocl that gives us greater access to programming tools, and therefore more and better applications, has to take precedence IMHO.

cthisbear

#87 Post by cthisbear »

I sent you a PM.

I like the default wallpaper.

Good first impression.

Chris.

WhoDo

#88 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:I noticed a minor bug. ...[snip]...
What you need to do to fix it is to edit the /root/.config/geany/geany.conf file and remove the three entries below the [files] line and above the [tools] line. (lines 127, 128, 129)
Fixed, thanks PG. 8) I introduced that one myself, too, as a partial workaround to font size problems with the new version of geany.

WhoDo

#89 Post by WhoDo »

gerry wrote:/etc/opt/samba/smb.conf

needs to have owner, group, world read permissions, so that cups can read it to print to a windows-connected printer.

Only has owner at present.
Thanks, gerry. Fixed for next release. 8)

WhoDo

Re: Wecome screen

#90 Post by WhoDo »

Minnesota wrote:... if you skip out of the welcome information...how do you ever get back?? I looked in Help...etc. OH, sure I can reboot....
/usr/share/doc/index.html
Minnesota wrote:By the way... on many of ttuuxxx screen shots the version is in the menu button.. I THINK this is a great idea.. any way to get this in this version?
That IS in this version - choose Shutdown/Advanced/Switch to Icewm and wait for your Xserver to restart.

pa_mcclamrock

#91 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:Final will go up tomorrow night. Then I will post a version of Final with the Retro kernel. After that, who knows? [ . . . ]
murmelbahn wrote:Pleeeease take your time squashing the bugs before going final.
Yes, "pleeeease"! Take as long a break from disputation with ttuuxxx as you need, and tie your goat up very securely so he can't get it any more--but please don't rush into releasing 4.2 Final when there are still important issues like the one you'll read about here to be addressed!

I just got a chance to download and try out RC4 this evening (a/k/a tomorrow morning in Australia). Network works, PETget works, printing works, sound works (although alsaconfig still said it was version 1.0.16--I thought it was supposed to be 0.1.19, but I don't care, 1.0.16 never gave me any problems).

BUT . . . after I set up printing and went on to sound, I noticed that the mouse pointer was acting pretty jerky, as if something was hogging too big a CPU share. Worse yet, the sound was jerky too, with momentary but fairly frequent cut-outs, as if something was hogging way too big a CPU share. I've read reports of this happening to other people in earlier trial releases, but I never saw it happening on my system until now.

I looked at the processes with Htop and saw that "cupsd" was using about ninety-four percent (94%) of the total CPU capacity (on my 2.6 GHz CPU). [EDIT: I wasn't even printing at the time.] I killed cupsd with Pprocess and the total CPU usage immediately dropped to about 6 or 8 percent (that's with an MP3 file playing); the mouse pointer wasn't jerky any more, and neither was the sound.

Please wait, cool off, and give some "Deep Thought" to the timing of the final release--which, I earnestly hope, will be after this and other bugs have been fixed for good.
Last edited by pa_mcclamrock on Fri 20 Mar 2009, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

WhoDo

#92 Post by WhoDo »

cthisbear wrote:The RC3 screen was exactly the same 75% perfect, but the last right side vertical quarter on the shot was shaded.
That's actually a "feature" not a "bug" (did someone hear echoes of Bull ... err ... Bill in that?). That is the sidebar feature in Pwidgets that gives that effect. You can turn it off in Pwidgets manager if you don't like it. It is designed to give the same effect as Vista does out of the box - just because we can! :P
Last edited by WhoDo on Fri 20 Mar 2009, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

Harry1949

Couldn't get Claws mail to work with Gmail SSL for STMP

#93 Post by Harry1949 »

At the risk of being chastised, I am reporting the following:

I have just finished testing Claws mail:

POP & STMP worked for mail ISP which doesn't require SSL.

POP worked for Gmail, which requires SSL
STMP didn't work for Gmail, which requires SSL. I tried many different combinations, to try to get it to work, but didn't succeed.

It is quite possible that I made an error in setting it up, but I don't think so.

When sending GMail STMP, I get:
Error
An error happened during SMTP session.

When I check the log, I get:
* Connecting to SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com ...
*** SSL handshake failed
*** Error occurred while sending the message.

Also, I guess everyone knows that Claws will not send or receive HTML mail, which is close to 100% of what I receive.

I hope this is accepted as an attempt to be helpful.

WhoDo

#94 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:I looked at the processes with Htop and saw that "cupsd" was using about ninety-four percent (94%) of the total CPU capacity (on my 2.6 GHz CPU). [EDIT: I wasn't even printing at the time.] I killed cupsd with Pprocess and the total CPU usage immediately dropped to about 6 or 8 percent (that's with an MP3 file playing); the mouse pointer wasn't jerky any more, and neither was the sound.
Yes, I reported that problem to the packager (ttuuxxx) at least 3 versions ago. :roll: Seems he has other issues on his mind. *sigh* Anyone else care to take a lash at why cupsd occasionally goes to full load and won't throttle back? :?

WhoDo

Re: Couldn't get Claws mail to work with Gmail SSL for STMP

#95 Post by WhoDo »

Harry1949 wrote:I hope this is accepted as an attempt to be helpful.
Yes, it is Harry. That problem will be resolved in the next release. :wink:

pa_mcclamrock

#96 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Another CUPS bug: I thought I'd try to see exactly when the high CPU usage kicked in by opening the CUPS window again and doing a few things--but I couldn't, because I got an error message saying "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:631" (etc.). All I know is that (1) here's another CUPS bug that must be squashed, and (2) the high CPU usage did not kick in as soon as I opened the window and got the error message (I guess because cupsd didn't start running yet).
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

WhoDo

#97 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:I am speaking as a moderator at this point, and I will soon begin to act as a moderator.
Ok, I've finally reached my limit with this stuff. I shouldn't have let things get so far that a mod has to step in and threaten to take action. That's my fault, so I have now made a decision on a potential solution:

From this point forward I am sending ttuuxxx aka Jeff to "Coventry". That's an old English punishment that was once quite effective and can be so again. What it means is this
  1. I will no longer acknowledge ttuuxxx's presence
  2. I will no longer respond to any of his posts
  3. I will no longer consider his wishes in any of my actions concerning Puppy
I am not expecting others to do likewise; that's a personal choice. I can no longer justify the histrionics on the grounds of overall benefit to the community or Puppy. If ttuuxxx wants to remain, contribute, build puplets, package applications, etc then that's his choice, but I will NOT reply to or acknowledge his existence until he issues a public apology to the community for the aggravation he has caused both it and me.

@ttuuxxx - I have repeatedly warned you that my patience was wearing thin. Well now it's worn out. You may well be glad you're not me (sic), but I'm sure as heck glad I'm not you either! Take a Prozac. Take a holiday. Consider your future and make your own choice, but I wash my hands of you until you have wiped out the debt as noted above.

cthisbear

#98 Post by cthisbear »

"That's actually a "feature" not a "bug"

hadn't seen that.........Sorry.

I've never posted that I was smart.
But you've already picked that up.

Gorgon moment.

Chris

WhoDo

#99 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:Another CUPS bug: I thought I'd try to see exactly when the high CPU usage kicked in by opening the CUPS window again and doing a few things--but I couldn't, because I got an error message saying "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:631" (etc.). All I know is that (1) here's another CUPS bug that must be squashed, and (2) the high CPU usage did not kick in as soon as I opened the window and got the error message (I guess because cupsd didn't start running yet).
In order to retest this you will need to manually Stop the cups server (localhost:631) and Restart it again. Then see what happens with cupsd. I had the issue once but it hasn't repeated since so I haven't been able to track it down to anything I did. It's not a regular thing; it only happens every once in a while and we still don't know what triggers it.

WhoDo

#100 Post by WhoDo »

cthisbear wrote:I've never posted that I was smart.
But you've already picked that up.

Gorgon moment.
Ok, but just don't blow your fortune on hookers! :lol: :lol: :lol: