Puppy 4.2 RC4 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

WhoDo

#31 Post by WhoDo »

cthisbear wrote:Think I need a drink.
Because i never noticed the shade in RC3.
You've had enough already, I'd say. Responsible Service and all that... :wink:
cthisbear wrote:There is shade on 4th right quarter...sorry about the image size. Couldn't quite see how to resize it.
Shade, huh? :? Try this ... squeeze your eyes shut very, very tightly for at least 30 seconds - you can use the hands on your Braille watch to time yourself - then open your eyes and you should "see" the "shade" in all 4 corners! :P

Seriously, chris, I have NO IDEA what you're talking about and the screen shot is of RC3 so by your own admission it is "normal"? Looks "normal" to me too, so I guess we fooled that darn "shade" thingy, eh mate! 8)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

I'm leaving
Leaving before you create a stripped down version of Puppy 4.2 for everyone?
:P

A barebones Puppy will happen but I know full well what sort of person will be doing it . . .

Guys
4.2 is a base
It can be made bigger and it can be made smaller.
It can be deblinged and uberblinged
Puplets will come out . . .
Woof may be based on it (expect Alpha 3 - 23/24 March 2009)

Thanks to all those 'disgraceful' helpers, developers and encourager's, testers etc

Puppy Deep Thought is nearing release
I am staying!

Positively Puppy
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

#33 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:Crab is a nice touch though... 8)
... especially from a Cancerian! :P The sand, the sea ... it either had to be the crab or a lobster and I wouldn't want to pinch Ed's avatar! :wink:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

trio

#34 Post by trio »

Lobster wrote:
I'm leaving

Thanks to all those 'disgraceful' helpers, developers and encourager's, testers etc
Positively Puppy
Wua hahhahhahhaa...... :lol: :lol:

01micko

#35 Post by 01micko »

ttuuxxx wrote:
William (Dthdealer) wrote:This candidate is a disgrace

Why is the release candidate discarding the Puppy heritage of lean and mean to copy the world's worst operating system? Vista cursors, widgets and horrible GTK and JWM themes on top of the rancid new icon scheme make me want to drop puppy permanently. Programs have been stripped to make space for a glossy but gouged and bleeding UI and the old icon scheme has been scrapped for more 'modern' shiny themes.

Yaf-splashes now have super-clashing colour-schemes (green on yellow?) and the old dialog system has been replaced with text-boxes that look like you can edit them. Worst of all, Puppy is gaining more flab than you can poke truck at.

Is this moving forward or is this moving backward??? Puppy needs dogfood, not Vista bites

If this candidate represents the later releases of puppy, I'm leaving. :cry:
Don't worry, I'm against having pwidgets installed by default, I find the default gtk2 theme way too dark. I have no use for Ptray and PMusic. Once the final is released, I'll release a unofficial version, with most of the bling, and useless programs removed. Anything else you don't like?
ttuuxxx
Ok, I've taken the bait and I'm gonna shake it vigorously 'til I break the line.
disgrace
That is a fairly strong term. Do you care to elaborate? I ask this because none of what you have said points to Puppy-4,2DeepThought being a "disgrace". (Your word)

The rest of your rant is based entirely on your opinion. Nothing wrong with that... except you could have expressed it in Alpha 1! When was that? Well it wasn't yesterday and it wasn't last week or the week before.

Please, if you are going to criticize, be aware, :)

Cheers

Mick
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

WhoDo

#36 Post by WhoDo »

William (Dthdealer) wrote:Programs have been stripped to make space for a glossy but gouged and bleeding UI and the old icon scheme has been scrapped for more 'modern' shiny themes.
Hmmmm ... seems like you spent a whole 20secs in making your mind up - given the mind in question though 20secs was probably a tad too long, eh? :wink:
William (Dthdealer) wrote:Worst of all, Puppy is gaining more flab than you can poke truck at.
99.3Mb doesn't seem like "flab" to me, but hey "flab" is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think this release has all the graceful curves of an extremely attractive and voluptuous yet slender woman! :P
William (Dthdealer) wrote:If this candidate represents the later releases of puppy, I'm leaving. :cry:
:mrgreen: Bye, cupcake. Don't let the door bang you in the tush on your way out! :lol:

Geez, I hate empty threats ... they're so ... so ... empty! :roll:

trio

#37 Post by trio »

01micko wrote: That is a fairly strong term. Do you care to elaborate? I ask this because none of what you have said points to Puppy-4,2DeepThought being a "disgrace". (Your word)

The rest of your rant is based entirely on your opinion. Nothing wrong with that... except you could have expressed it in Alpha 1! When was that? Well it wasn't yesterday and it wasn't last week or the week before.

Cheers

Mick
Down boy..down..it's not worth your energy...let the wind blows..whooosaaaa......

trio

#38 Post by trio »

whodo

Are we sticking to the title "bugs & fixes" or here we go to hell again? Proclaim your rights Dictator!

01micko

#39 Post by 01micko »

trio wrote:
01micko wrote: That is a fairly strong term. Do you care to elaborate? I ask this because none of what you have said points to Puppy-4,2DeepThought being a "disgrace". (Your word)

Cheers

Mick

Down boy..down..it's not worth your energy...let the wind blows..whooosaaaa......
ROTFLMAO @ U Bro!!!( there is more to it but I must PM it!)

WhoDo

#40 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:You removed your nice icons from the last version and reverted back to the dreaded 'FlatOrange' Why, really it was only the default folder which was too flashy. Other than that, it was real nice.
Why? Lack of ego, I guess. :wink: Someone said they looked like Toys 'R Us and since I loathe the box culture's propensity to turn perfectly good words into their phonetic letter equivalent (are = R?) I just HAD to take them out. They'll be back either in an EZpup addition or simply as a theme to be added later, along with 1 or 2 others (look for l'Bleu as well as l'Orange). :idea:

We have 3 icon themes to choose from in RC4. That should cover the gamut of tastes for the moment. 8)

WhoDo

#41 Post by WhoDo »

trio wrote:Are we sticking to the title "bugs & fixes" or here we go to hell again? Proclaim your rights Dictator!
Here We Go To Hell Again! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the laugh, trio. I don't know how I'd get through the day without one of you guys tickling my ribs every now and then ... :P

ttuuxxx

#42 Post by ttuuxxx »

Yes 99.3MB isn't much at all compared to other Linux distros 700MB++++++, But we have to also focus on people who have older pc's and puppy 4.12 just works and is on a borderline of not working, for those people they do not have a chance of getting 4.2 to boot up and work out of the box, we are talking, developing countries, retro pc users etc. Like I said before, I like Pwidgets a lot, but not enough to turn away past users at the expense of system resources. Things that run by default should be system related, not bling related for distros like puppy. Not where people try so hard to get it working and have to be forced to use earlier models, I've seen it in the past and I know I will see lots once this final release is posted.
So Whodo once your done this release I hope you might stick around and answer to all the outcry, It won't be from myself. But I'm damn sure that 75% will not like the added resources taken away from them. But on the other hand, I'll be quickly working in the background preparing some sort of normal puppy alternative. I'll go that far to help out.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

#43 Post by ttuuxxx »

WhoDo wrote:
Why? Lack of ego, I guess. :wink: Someone said they looked like Toys 'R Us and since I loathe the box culture's propensity to turn perfectly good words into their phonetic letter equivalent (are = R?) I just HAD to take them out. They'll be back either in an EZpup addition or simply as a theme to be added later, along with 1 or 2 others (look for l'Bleu as well as l'Orange). :idea:

We have 3 icon themes to choose from in RC4. That should cover the gamut of tastes for the moment. 8)
That sounds to me like some unnamed developer strong armed you once again about walking from puppy and you caved, How sad, how very sad.
ttuuxxx

01micko

#44 Post by 01micko »

ttuuxxx

Now, this may be off topic marginally, but you followed the thread and helped me out...
You know the thread about my 486...

Xonclock and xli run on that thing... and run well. I'm tempted to install the latest Pwidgets with an extremely hacked conky by Patriot..... heaps smaller... on it to see if it will go. Yeah gotta update JWM and wallpaper setter but I think I can do it... with 32MiB ram... you know :wink:

aragon

#45 Post by aragon »

To come back to what this is about:

Found no bugs so far BUT it seems that ldconfig is missing again.

cheers
aragon

WhoDo

#46 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:That sounds to me like some unnamed developer strong armed you once again about walking from puppy and you caved, How sad, how very sad.
Geez, Jeff, you're on a roll now! Wrong twice in one night in the same thread? Wanna try for 3rd time lucky??? :roll:

I've told you before but it seems you didn't believe me; no-one can force me to do what I don't want to do. I'm too old to take that crap! I happen to LIKE the flat orange menu icons. I think the desktop icons from the same pack are a bit wishy-washy, but they're a complete package and that's only my opinion. I don't have the time or the inclination to split them apart to make a third package that maybe only I will like.

Now, can we PLEASE get back to dealing with Bugs & Fixes? Or can I assume from the lack of such issues being posted that I'll be able to upload Final tomorrow afternoon?

WhoDo

#47 Post by WhoDo »

aragon wrote:To come back to what this is about:

Found no bugs so far BUT it seems that ldconfig is missing again.
Missing from where, aragon? It clearly isn't there, but where do I go looking for it?

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

Tested all three icon themes available, DeepThought, Stardust, JQ8.. all seem nicely interchangeable.

ttuuxxx

#49 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey mick

Its not pwidgets your running, and plus your clock doesn't have any transparencies around it, your memory isn't registered in the image, your not running anything, plus your using a fatfree version of puppy around 60MB not 99.3MB Some people actually go by the min requirements of puppy which I posted earlier like 64MB ram drive,stated at Distrowatch, which is impossible for this release, You try to boot up puppy 4.2 rc4 on your great older PC and then give us a screenshot :wink: No offense :)
ttuuxxx.

WhoDo

#50 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:You try to boot up puppy 4.2 rc4 on your great older PC and then give us a screenshot :wink: No offense :)
Pwidgets-2.0.5 in Puppy-4.2rc4 is only 219kb compressed - including conky, xonclock and all the other dependencies to make it work. It runs like greased lightning and seems to me to consume precious few resources. I even remember that the sub-50Mb DSL used to come with Conky pre-configured by default on the desktop and that ran just fine on the oldest of hardware. :?

So tell me, ttuuxxx, what is your REAL objection to the Pwidgets bling? Of course I'd prefer that you don't tell me in THIS thread, which is supposed to be for Bugs & Fixes in RC4. Maybe you could explain in the thread you started on Bling or No Bling? Either way, please DON'T HIJACK MY THREAD YET AGAIN for an anti-Pwidgets war!!!! :evil: