Puppy 4.2 RC4 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

01micko

#391 Post by 01micko »

capoverde wrote: ......... * I'd personally set Geany and Leafpad with line or word wrap active by default, though it's easy to switch it on. Best for newbies, too.
Yes
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pa_mcclamrock

#392 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Update on debugging Remaster Express: I figured the problem probably had something to do with using up too much RAM, so I looked at the "Memory" section of System --> HardInfo while running Remaster Express. Sure enough, for some reason I don't yet know, the program was using up an incredibly large amount of free RAM (over 500 MB on my system!!) while running mksquashfs and showing the progressbar in Step Three. I then ran the previous remaster script, and it didn't use up nearly that much RAM.

I'm going to have to hack out the code that makes the progressbar work, starting almost at once after I post this message. (Fortunately I've got an alternate, simpler way of keeping the GUI responsive while running mksquashfs, and checking to see when mksquashfs gets done; I already use the alternate way, though not with mksquashfs, in another program I wrote.) This, I earnestly hope, will solve the problem--and I'll test the program without the progressbar, with HardInfo running, to make sure it does! Then I'll submit the no-progressbar version really fast for inclusion in Puppy 4.2 Final.

P.S. I just read that Gnocl 0.9.94 has been released--is it too late to get it into 4.2 as a version upgrade?
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

WhoDo

#393 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:P.S. I just read that Gnocl 0.9.94 has been released--is it too late to get it into 4.2 as a version upgrade?
Yes.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#394 Post by WhoDo »

trio wrote:This maybe sound stupid, I have no idea how it works, if you just simply try to use initird.gz from kirk's pupplet (fatdog III?) rather than wait for his response..or it can't be done that way? Just an idea...thanks
Can't be done that way, trio ... at least not without risking a break or two here and there. We'll see; kirk did say only "two days".
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

pa_mcclamrock

#395 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Further update on Remaster Express: I rebooted, checked memory, and ran Remaster Express; rebooted again, checked memory, and ran remasterpup2. Both of them reduced free memory by approximately the same very large amount. Out of a total 2 GB, I started with about 1.73 GB free each time, and ended up with about 1.15 GB free each time when mksquashfs got done running (that's at the end of Step Three in Remaster Express, and the point where /tmp/root has been created in remasterpup2). I'm thinking the amount of free memory was not further reduced by much when I previously ran remasterpup2 without rebooting after I ran Remaster Express, and that misled me into thinking remasterpup2 didn't reduce the free memory by as much.

It now appears to me that mksquashfs, no matter how it's invoked, is responsible for the very large decrease in free memory. This would explain why one user reported that remasterpup2 also hung for him (the other apparently hadn't tried it). At this point, since I can't fix the apparent mksquashfs-memory-hogging problem, it appears that about all I can do before the release of 4.2 Final is to put in a prominent warning, telling users that Remaster Express may hang and need to be killed (with instructions) if they don't have enough free memory. Would you like me to do that? If so, how much memory should I say they should have?
--Linus Torvalds

WhoDo

#396 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:It now appears to me that mksquashfs, no matter how it's invoked, is responsible for the very large decrease in free memory. This would explain why one user reported that remasterpup2 also hung for him (the other apparently hadn't tried it). At this point, since I can't fix the apparent mksquashfs-memory-hogging problem, it appears that about all I can do before the release of 4.2 Final is to put in a prominent warning, telling users that Remaster Express may hang and need to be killed (with instructions) if they don't have enough free memory. Would you like me to do that? If so, how much memory should I say they should have?
Could it be run on RAM-challenged machines IF they have sufficient SWAP? I don't like telling users of Puppy that they can't remaster with less than 1Gb of physical RAM, which is what it seems we're looking at here. :shock:

technosaurus

#397 Post by technosaurus »

If memory serves me correctly, remastering can take up to about three times the size of the final iso (including swap).
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

`f00

#398 Post by `f00 »

{sidebar} a challenge may also be viewed as an invitation by some, lol
:? pretty unfortunate if it must be fast RAM on the mobo (HDD or thumbdrive is usually pretty doable for almost anyone, tho)

This time on:
machine i686
processor Pentium III @1GHz
RAM 512Mb
vidcard ATI 9200SE (PCI plain, selected in BIOS pre-boot)
display 17" crt (aged EV700)
Pupmedia CD-RW (using 'some' of i586 savedirs..)

Obviously, xorg.conf switched over to new vidcard at boot - same issue as noted with xorg (when dealing with vidcard with more than one vga out, as many aftermarket vidcards have as a standard), namely the line in xorg.conf, section server layout

Code: Select all

#	Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
must be commented out to keep the maus-pointer from disappearing 'offscreen' .. even though there is only one monitor on this card, xorg seems perhaps to be interpreting the card's two vga outs as 'screens' even if there is no display connected to the 2nd vga out.

Nice change from the previous hwr to have the soundcard recognized and pretty much ready to go (SB0350) once I run alsamixer to unmute and set levels..) .. CD in .. %#&@%#&@%#&@gxine (note to self, gxine freezing the machine a nasty local problem if it automounts on audioCD and attempts by default to access a db that's not accessible .. likewise for dumb browsers that attempt to access online resources or start on internet search page .. but that's just me and my silly offline unconnectedness in general .. nevermind, that's for the OS of the future that will have an awareness that it's not connected...) .. Enh, sound/players is one of those things that can freeze up the comp, it seems :| (even with local sources).

Otherwise, it seems pretty much hunky-dory (may have to fiddle about in /etc/X11 dir - :) two card-specific files there now - one for ATI_MACH64 and one for ATI_RADEON_920042001)

Flash858

#399 Post by Flash858 »

OK then...Now I have lost my Menu bar in JWM (It just went "poof" when I changed my desktop icons) - Works fine in ICE, and I have done the obvious (restart X, reboot, reinstall JWM UNDER ICE, etc...).

It acutally looks kinda cool, but minimized programs are an issue...

Any clues?

pa_mcclamrock

#400 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

technosaurus wrote:If memory serves me correctly, remastering can take up to about three times the size of the final iso (including swap).
Do you remember why? Like, is it because the uncompressed files are copied in RAM before they're compressed into the squashfile, or what?
--Linus Torvalds

pa_mcclamrock

#401 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:Could it [Remaster Express] be run on RAM-challenged machines IF they have sufficient SWAP? I don't like telling users of Puppy that they can't remaster with less than 1Gb of physical RAM, which is what it seems we're looking at here. :shock:
No, I don't want to tell them that. Let me see what I do want to tell them. How about this, prominently displayed at the stage where the estimated sizes are figured and the "Proceed to Step Three" button is displayed? (Feel free to suggest any improvements in the language!)
________

Warning: the remastering process may use a large amount of your computer's memory, possibly three or four times the size of the new pup-420.sfs main file that will be created. If your computer does not have that much RAM available, you will need a swap partition that can be used for additional memory. If you do not already have a Linux swap partition (typically located on a hard drive), you will need to use one of the partition managers under the System menu to create one.

If you are not sure your computer has enough memory, it would be a very good idea to run HardInfo (under the System menu), scroll down to the "Memory" section, and use it to keep track of how much "free memory" and "virtual memory" (swap space) you have available, especially during Steps Three and Four. If you run out of both "free memory" and "virtual memory" during remastering, Remaster Express may stop working. If it does, open Pprocess (also under the System Menu); select the "wish /usr/sbin/remax" process; and click "End Process." If all else fails, rebooting Puppy will shut down Remaster Express and restore your free memory.
________

By the way, one of the users who reported the problems to me (eegad, in this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6&start=15) said he tried a newer version of mksquashfs posted by vanchutr in the same thread, and he was able to use it (unlike the older version) to burn a CD with Remaster Express. I'm not quite sure why the difference, because the newer version used up about as much free memory as the older one when I tried it--but I'm attaching the newer version here in case you'd like to take a look.
Attachments
mksquash.tar.gz
(59.33 KiB) Downloaded 731 times
Last edited by pa_mcclamrock on Fri 27 Mar 2009, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
--Linus Torvalds

ICPUG

#402 Post by ICPUG »

post deleted.

More involved than I thought - not just an edit of the init script

ttuuxxx

#403 Post by ttuuxxx »

Can someone try this cups and see what the cpu usage is?
http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/ ... i386-3.pet
ttuuxxx
name: puppy
password: linux
you'll probably have to type it twice
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

linuxcbon

#404 Post by linuxcbon »

1Gb RAM is not enough for me for remasterpup2...Does you new program fix it ?

Minnesota

Cups NO

#405 Post by Minnesota »

ttuuxxx
Fresh CD boot RC4, ran CUSP... initializes...

RAN PET.. "Failed to connect".... this was after restart X....

Two machines. Assume necessary to restart x?

ttuuxxx

Re: Cups NO

#406 Post by ttuuxxx »

Minnesota wrote:
ttuuxxx
Fresh CD boot RC4, ran CUSP... initializes...

RAN PET.. "Failed to connect".... this was after restart X....

Two machines. Assume necessary to restart x?
na you shouldn't have to restart after installing it, ok how about this patch that pizzasgood offered, It was included in the last one you tried, but that was on beta3, maybe just reboot on your live cd, with
puppy fix=ram
and then install this small patch :) with the current cups installed. Not the beta 3 just the one which came with the cd :)
I'm thinking maybe beta 3 isn't working correctly so we'll try the current one, the current one works for you right? but you just have high cpu resource usage right ?
thanks for the help
ttuuxxx
Attachments
cups-patch-v1.pet
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 1328 times

Pizzasgood

#407 Post by Pizzasgood »

capoverde wrote:Also, with XOrg the keyboard shorcut to open a terminal inside a directory (<'>) doesn't work -- not that it matters much, but this is an old unsolved issue, most probably a tricky one since all other shortcuts seem to work.
Actually, it does work. But it uses the backquote, not the normal quote ( ` vs ' ). On a US keyboard it's the same key as the tilde, left of the 1 and below the Esc.

`f00 wrote:Obviously, xorg.conf switched over to new vidcard at boot - same issue as noted with xorg (when dealing with vidcard with more than one vga out, as many aftermarket vidcards have as a standard), namely the line in xorg.conf, section server layout

Code: Select all

#   Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
must be commented out to keep the maus-pointer from disappearing 'offscreen' .. even though there is only one monitor on this card, xorg seems perhaps to be interpreting the card's two vga outs as 'screens' even if there is no display connected to the 2nd vga out.
Earilier in this thread I supplied WhoDo with a further modified /usr/sbin/xorgwizard that will automatically comment out any screen lines besides Screen0, in addition to the other modifications it has had since 4.1.2.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

ttuuxxx

#408 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey WhoDo
A couple of months back I posted a gimp package I compiled In the Software section, Today one user asked me how come you can't acquire from a scanner in gimp using xsane, well I read up on it and basically first you need a system link from xsane bin to the usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plugins etc, so I tried it and it worked on Dpup, but dpup isn't puppy, when I tried it on 4.2 rc4 no go, Then I started thinking it must be Xsane, so I compiled the latest version and sure enough it didn't compile with gimp support, because I didn't have the devs installed at the time. So I install the gimp devs and recompiled it and poof it worked.
Below is the latest xsane with gimp support its 4kb larger then the repo pet, but its also a couple versions newer.

also if you wanted a 5.5MB gimp for the repo this one compiled without patching things and changing glib.dbus etc like other gimps on the forum.
http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/ ... oc-nsl.pet

ttuuxxx
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Fri 27 Mar 2009, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

trio

#409 Post by trio »

Whodo

First I want to say NO OFFENSE to anybody.....ok ttuuxxx?

I tried to use icewm's freememapplet in jwm...picture below...the "M" only shows half or it won't be like that in 4.2 final if using this? Or could be only me?

Thanks
Attachments
freememapplet.jpg
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 1956 times

01micko

#410 Post by 01micko »

trio wrote:Whodo

First I want to say NO OFFENSE to anybody.....ok ttuuxxx?

I tried to use icewm's freememapplet in jwm...picture below...the "M" only shows half or it won't be like that in 4.2 final if using this? Or could be only me?

Thanks
Hey bro, nice of you... but no need to be politically correct... ttuuxx has thick skin....
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access