Introducing PULP - 125 MB Puplet for older hardware

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
technosaurus

#256 Post by technosaurus »

Ibidem wrote: I wonder though: what would be needed to change the default theme for GTK1.2?
(as in what a static binary looks like when dropped into an entirely unconfigured system).
Iguleder tried that but it turns out some apps rely on the default theme. ...see his github repo for the example (but you'd need to also patch some apps)

btw this isn't just gtk1 ... puppy's gtk2 gtkrc messes up rgbpaint (mtpaint light) because it sets a background color. which rgbpaint uses for colors
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Ibidem

#257 Post by Ibidem »

technosaurus wrote:
Ibidem wrote: I wonder though: what would be needed to change the default theme for GTK1.2?
(as in what a static binary looks like when dropped into an entirely unconfigured system).
Iguleder tried that but it turns out some apps rely on the default theme. ...see his github repo for the example (but you'd need to also patch some apps)

btw this isn't just gtk1 ... puppy's gtk2 gtkrc messes up rgbpaint (mtpaint light) because it sets a background color. which rgbpaint uses for colors
Oh, you mean his GTK1 repo (not any of the other half-dozen GTK1 related projects in there...)
But I was actually more wondering about the other parts of themes: xpm resources, proportions of the shading on the scrollbar, etc. (the Notif theme has the sort of effects I'm talking about)
I know they're compiled in, since you have working scrollbars even if you download a single binary.

technosaurus

#258 Post by technosaurus »

https://github.com/iguleder/gtk/commit/ ... be7c224cd0
in gtk2 more images are compiled in, but it may be better to have a default image location for themes and fallback to a built-in color. The standard way of doing this would be to use $XDG_DATA_DIRS (which would include /usr/share and $HOME)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

trister

pulp 0.3 live cd booted ok on a 32MB PII desktop PC

#259 Post by trister »

Hi all.
I had to post to this very old topic because I tried pulp0.3 the with a liveCD (actually the ISO was included to an xboot CD) on a PII with 32MB memory and it run acceptably well... the CD rom kept spinning all the time but otherwise it seemed ok...

The PC run already windows 98 with office 2000 but I want to try what pulp can do...

Before pulp I tried AntiX but could not start (need 64MB+ I think).

-Is there an easy way to add additional kayboard languages to pulp?
I have installed abiword 2.x and I would like to be able to write in other languages except english (eg greek).
-Is there an easy way to add support to the latest possible flash?

The work I want requires 80-90% a word processor and flash games (eg light-bot.swf). I have the SWF already downloaded locally so the flash support I want is mainly to open these flash - not surf the internet.
Any ideas are welcome :)

Thanks in advance

darry1966

Re: pulp 0.3 live cd booted ok on a 32MB PII desktop PC

#260 Post by darry1966 »

trister wrote:Hi all.
I had to post to this very old topic because I tried pulp0.3 the with a liveCD (actually the ISO was included to an xboot CD) on a PII with 32MB memory and it run acceptably well... the CD rom kept spinning all the time but otherwise it seemed ok...

The PC run already windows 98 with office 2000 but I want to try what pulp can do...

I have installed abiword 2.x and I would like to be able to write in other languages except english (eg greek).

The work I want requires 80-90% a word processor and flash games (eg light-bot.swf). I have the SWF already downloaded locally so the flash support I want is mainly to open these flash - not surf the internet.

Thanks in advance
What are your machine specs??

trister

Re: pulp 0.3 live cd booted ok on a 32MB PII desktop PC

#261 Post by trister »

darry1966 wrote:
trister wrote:Hi all.

Thanks in advance
What are your machine specs??
The PC is at one of the places I work. I can only say that it is a PII with 32MB of memory with 2GB Hard Disk and a CDrom drive (not DVD rom).
If I solve the problem of the additional keyboard layouts and find a better flash version than the original included on Pulp I can try and post here the results.

Fossil

#262 Post by Fossil »

@trister.
If I solve the problem of the additional keyboard layouts and find a better flash version than the original included on Pulp I can try and post here the results.
Please do. It will be very interesting to see how you get on. Mind you, upgrading Flash will probably be the final straw - As it is, you really are pushing the envelope to the maximum limit. More RAM would help! Ultimately, it's a very, very old machine. :(

darry1966

#263 Post by darry1966 »

Yep came with flashplayer 9 try this one: http://akita.scottjarvis.com/flashplaye ... 110327.pet

Acts like flashplayer 10 will better than 9 anyway.

Works in fullscreen take mouse to edge of video till it says fullscreen.

Tested on youtube. Goodluck.

original url where I got this flash: http://akita.scottjarvis.com/

trister

#264 Post by trister »

Fossil wrote:@trister.
Please do. It will be very interesting to see how you get on. Mind you, upgrading Flash will probably be the final straw - As it is, you really are pushing the envelope to the maximum limit. More RAM would help! Ultimately, it's a very, very old machine. :(
I have manage to add additional keyboard language to Edupup but the PET/PUP I used doesn't do anything to Pulp (probably because it is a very stripped down version).
As I said before it can run windows98 with miscrosoft office 2000 quite well.
What I would like would be to run some specific flash educational games in that old PC (windows 98 can't support a higher flash version)

I can work with this PC once a week - all the other test I must are in a virtualbox. So I can't experiment a lot...

Also, akita pets are compatible with Pulp (at least these that don't have many dependecies)?

trister

#265 Post by trister »

darry1966 wrote:Yep came with flashplayer 9 try this one: http://akita.scottjarvis.com/flashplaye ... 110327.pet

Acts like flashplayer 10 will better than 9 anyway.

Works in fullscreen take mouse to edge of video till it says fullscreen.
Thanks darry.
Installed that and copied the .so file from FLash9 to lib/Firepup/plugins folder and it worked...

Now light-bot and about 80% of some educational flash games I have work.

I tried with flash 10 and 11 but Firepup crashed...

My next attempt -when I have access again to that 32MB pc- will be to frugal install (using win98 boot menu) the pulp installation with the add-on sfs I made with Flash9pretend,abiword and Tuxcommander and check the speed...

darry1966

#266 Post by darry1966 »

Cool no problem mate,:)

trister

#267 Post by trister »

I tried pupl0.3 on the original Windows 98 hardware with frugal install (loaded grub from a config.sys menu).
Pulp started but it took too much time just to start pmount...
I tried starting abiword but it didn't seem to start.

Also, I tried HanSamBen 4.31. I started it with xvesa and ended up with a completely empty desktop (menu was visible) . I tried running abiword but again it didn't work.

Note to save space I run both frugal installations with the noram parameter.
Maybe that is the cause of the slowiness.

Conclusions so far: Window 98SE run much faster...

darry1966

#268 Post by darry1966 »

Try mounting by hand in terminal (I personally can't stand evetmanager and see if this is faster..

Code: Select all

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
Obviously you're drive might be something else like sdc1 etc.