Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 11:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Woof Alpha 3
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 6 [88 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
tronkel

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 04:30    Post subject:  Woof Alpha 3  

I got a successful build with Woof Alpha 3 dPUP I'm writing this forum message from dPUP 014

As with Alpha 2, this has been the only Puppy to date that recognises the ATI Radeon 3450 video card out of the box. No need for the proprietary fglrx driver. This system is fast.

No joy with CUPS. I tried to install HPLIP, but the there were so many dependencies listed (most of them nothing to do with HPLIP) that the system seemed to give up.

Downloading the packages was fast from the Debian server and was only missing 2 packages. I started the 2createpackages script which halted at the places corresponding to the 2 missing packages, libdevmapper and xserver-common. I googled around and found something that seemed to be equivalent to them, renamed them to the expected names, whereupon the script ran to termination and exited.

The ISO seemed to build OK. Booted straight into X with full 1400 X 900 screen resolution

I then installed Iceweasel and Icedove. That was also straight-forward.

So only remaining issue for me is CUPS printing.

Great job Barry

Last edited by tronkel on Mon 23 Mar 2009, 14:46; edited 1 time in total
dinky

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 05:01    Post subject:  

Hi tronkel, you can probably replace cups with the puppy version; to my understanding pet packages should work fine. I think there will be numerous issues with various packages from each distro that won't work, but the base development is there.

I'm experimenting with the upup iso, and loving the new package manager. Very slick. Will post more soon.

~dinky
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 06:19    Post subject:  

Quote:
I got a successful build with Woof Alpha 3 dPUP

Excellent news Tronkel. Smile

I tried the already built upup (ubuntu pup) and it did not work for me . . . stalled at the Nvidia (which it recognised) card setup - tried generic, changing resolution and horizontal holds etc - nope it wasn't having it..
Barry mentioned supporting an RPM based distro, personally I would favour Red Hat/Centos as they offer a great deal back to Linux.
If anyone creates and uploads a slackware or your debian build, I would like to try it. Failing that I suppose I could build my own Smile
Dinky is talking about creating a puplet based on an Alpha release . . .?

Take the red pill
Puppy 'Innovation' Linux

tronkel

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 07:19    Post subject:  

Package management in dPup is looking good.

Just installed claws-mail 3.50 complete with all the plugins. All seems to be working OK. This is something Ttuuxxx has been compiling for 4.20. It works very well as a binary package install in Woof Alpha3.

I'll make this build my working distro now. Will also try it on the Classmate PC and the Asus 901 eeepc

@dinky:

Had a go with installing a recent CUPS pet from the forum. With hpijs ppd driver I get the dreaded foomatic-rip failed message. Will keep trying though

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 07:57    Post subject: Re: Woof Alpha 3  

tronkel wrote:
Downloading the packages was fast from the Debian server and was only missing 2 packages. I started the 2createpackages script which halted at the places corresponding to the 2 missing packages, libdevmapper and xserver-common. I googled around and found something that seemed to be equivalent to them, renamed them to the expected names, whereupon the script ran to termination and exited.

Ok, I'll checkout that problem with package names.

I have just fixed bugs in 0setup for the Arch build (Michael emailed me about it) and uploaded woof-alpha3.1.tar.gz -- but, it only has changes pertaining to the Arch build.

Right, I have got to get CUPS working! I haven't looked at that at all since I started the Woof project. I'll be home in a few days, then will do it.

lluamco

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 09:15    Post subject: hplip  

@tronkel:
As far as cups and hplip, have you tried the recent Patriot's pets?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=286823&search_id=970283434#286823
smil99

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 10:22    Post subject: upup freezes upon mouse click  

Sorry I posted this earlier in Barry's blog. I guess this is the right place to post.

I tried running Intrepid Puppy alpha3 on my Sharp PC-AL60GB laptop but the system freezes upon clicking any of the icons on the desktop. I booted also with acpi=off option and got the same result. I have had no such behaviour on the said laptop when running any of the Puppy 4.2 and earlier ones. Is there any fix for this anomaly?
Interestingly, it runs perfectly on my Fujitsu FMV DeskPower C4/80L desktop.
gerry

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 10:57    Post subject:  

Ive tried upup Intrepid 015 iso:
Live cd on my old 600MHz 256MB machine, no problems so far.
Live usb on my Acer Aspire One, and wireless connection worked with no problem.

What glorious bling-free desktop- it won't last though, will it?

Gerry
Terryphi

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 11:14    Post subject: Package Manager - installed packages  

There is a slight problem with the Package Manager. The last entry in the installed packages is hidden - although if I arrow down it comes into view. I don't know if this is only a problem at some resolutions - mine is set at 800x600.
dogone

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 12:27    Post subject: Alpha3 pre-built upup fails X start  

As happened with the upup provided with alpha 2, the alpha 3 upup fails to start X on my hardware (see attached). xorg.conf looks reasonable - have not examined .xinitrc. I've had no such problem before with Puppy on this hardware.
dogone_hardinfo.html.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  dogone_hardinfo.html.gz 
Filesize  4.56 KB 
Downloaded  255 Time(s) 
tronkel

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 13:29    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:

Quote:
If anyone creates and uploads a slackware or your debian build

I've just uploaded the dPup ISO to puppylinux.asia that I mentioned earlier. Caneri has to transfer it from puppylinux.asia to puppylinux.ca before you can download it though.

Get it here when it's ready:

http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/tronkel

dogone

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 13:36    Post subject:  

It appears alpha 3.1 is still having difficulty with some Arch package names. My apup DOWNLOAD-FAILS-tar-gz contains two entries:

libldap-2.3.43-3
-i686.pkg.tar.gz

The first is listed in Arch repositories. The second appears a package name parsing error. I suppose both could result from Arch's inconsistancies, but therein lies Woof's challenge.
dogone

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 13:57    Post subject: alpha 3.1 apup - reports execute flagging errors  

Alpha 3.1 3builddistro is flagging many execute flag errors in /lib and /usr/lib. An example:

.ldd: warning: you do not have execution permission for `/usr/lib/libcap.so.1.10'

If I correct the flagged files and re-run 3buliddistro, the script re-creates those files with execute flag turned off and the errors appear again.
tronkel

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 14:06    Post subject:  

Iluamco wrote:

Quote:
As far as cups and hplip, have you tried the recent Patriot's pets?

Thanks for the tip Iluamco. CUPS now works in Woof alpha 3 Shocked
I overwrote the built-in CUPS version with patriot's pet as you mentioned earlier and also installed HPLIP. HP Officejet now works with the Gutenprint driver. No scanning as yet though. This could save Barry a lot of time struggling with CUPS. Hope he reads this.

Also successfully used Woof to install the Debian Lenny version of the Tilda drop-down terminal. Should this also be included in 4.20 I wonder? Maybe Ttuuxxx could make a pet for this.

There will soon be no good reason for me to use Debian at all. Woof is really starting to motor now.

dogone

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2009, 14:10    Post subject: Alpha 3.0/3.1 apup - 3builddistro errors  

Alpha 3 and 3.1 3builddistro reports the following AND those in the attached.

/usr/bin/sylpheed: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/sylpheed)
/usr/bin/sylpheed: /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/sylpheed)
dogone_alpha3.x_apup_3builddistro_missing.gz
Description  Alpha 3 and 3.1 apup - 3builddistro flags many missing libs
gz

Download 
Filename  dogone_alpha3.x_apup_3builddistro_missing.gz 
Filesize  922 Bytes 
Downloaded  360 Time(s) 
Page 1 of 6 [88 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: