Greatest Achievements June,2010 to May,2011 from ONE view

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

Greatest Achievements June,2010 to May,2011 from ONE view

#1 Post by gcmartin »

This thread does NOT intend to be personal. but, because I have started it, i guess, it is personal. But, I encourage every distro maker and user to contribute so that Distro makers can select useful developments as PUPs march into the future.

This is NOT is a RANKED order. It is only in a presentation order. And, because I am more a user, this is from a user point of view.

FATDOG - This is a 64bit PUP. Thus, for all reading this, it means that it will find its home on your 64bit PCs and using ALL avilable RAM as the system may need to make you happy This is the ONLY distro that out-of-the-box (OoTB) produces a competitor of any Windows PC. Why, because not only does it do all that most Windows users would want, it, (and unlike any other desktop PUP in existence) the distro makers saw fit to include full SAMBA! And, they have gone further and included a "current" version of SAMBA (which has additional security and functions). Anyone using this distro can share folders with other LAN users and accomplish work exactly like your Windows PCs can without installing ANYTHING. I'm expecting this tradition of Window7 replacement to continue.

LightHouse Mariner - This 32bit PUP has, from a technological perspective, intrigued me the most as it has packaged and added some very notable features to this distro beyond what you'll see in other distros. From the time you first boot this system giving you the options of what functions (via the SFSs included) you want in the system, all the way thru its approach to update and add functions when on the desktop, to the inclusion of the Control Panel, its desktop presentation; this is the classiest 32bit distro I have seen yet. This is a very thoughtful innovation in the Puppy world

Shinobar's "Personalize Settings" - For ANYONE who boots a Puppy that included this, this single tools is a godsend for what it presents in a single screen which can be a central point to revisit whenever your desktop need arises. In one place is provide a user (new/old) the consciousness of localization! This goes way beyond the old way that many PUPs still use when booting up. This give a single point, well thought through and organized so that everyone can see his local LAN machine name, localization settings, video settings and its background even insures you have LAN connection to your system for you. This is an excellent, excellent addition to all things Puppy! And, it is just beginning to be recognized for how beneficial it is, as more and more PUPs add it to their 1st boot process(s) and our desktop experience..

PEMASU - Capitalization that I cannot make big enough He has (and thanks to JamesBond as well) for giving all of us who have 32bit PCs with lots of RAM (3GB-up) to enjoy a VERY VERY FAST distro called ICE. He has unlocked the secrets of something Intel made available in PentiumPro days for use on these large memory platforms This presently, by far, exceeds the speed any of us were accustomed to in other PUPs. Its OUTRAGEOUS! His SNOW and ICE distro are probably the best desktop user experience one can have. Newbies who may start here will get spoiled, not because of just speed, but also because of the desktop changes, menu expansions, and right-click surprises that addresses so much of what we do everyday. No matter how anyone looks at his work, his kernel contributions is what will set the bar for 32bit PUP systems. He single-handed has unhooked the prior memory constraint that ALL 32bit PUPs had..

Netboot and MultiPUP - These are 2 PETs that many will find extremely useful. MultiPUP allow anyone to combine multiple different Puppy ISOs into a SINGLE bootable ISO that alllow the person booting a PC from Live media to select which Puppy he wants to boot. Netboot is a tool for taking a Puppy ISO or a MultiPUP ISO and letting any machine on your LAN boot using that ISO. If you have constant needs to boot machines with different PUPs for testing or to boot machines that do NOT have harddrives and/or CD-DVD drives, this allows you to make Puppy available to them, too. In fact, one only needs a motherboard with a keyboard, mouse and monitor to run Puppy using this arrangement.

ClusterPUP - One user, Master_Wrong, has contributed an innovation into the Puppy world where multiple physical PCs (I think up to 96) can be joined together to run as one SINGLE PC known as a Cluster. This now gives "firepower" to applications. This is similar to, instead of having one person (a PC) working on any given problem, you'll have many people working together to solve the problems; thus, in essence, it can be viewed as increasing horsepower, arms and legs to address running application needs.

These, for me, aren't just favorite distros, these are system applications that address needs. And its these kind of things which has improved the landscape for our PUPs to play on.

There are a lot of very good things being done, as, all things Puppy. These are just some high-lights that addresses need and improves usefulness of our PC systems

Any ideas one has on these innovations would help others as well.
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 28 May 2011, 21:55, edited 4 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Some excellent reminders of innovation. Many thanks
Hopefully more below :)

Quickpet/Slickpet/PPM
Quickpet was introduced and honed in Lucid.
I loved using the ATI drivers and running massive leading edge programs such as GoogleEarth and Openshot
01micko has made a version available for
all puplets and a new version 'Slickpet'
is emerging in Spot/Spup/Slacko/Puppy 5.3 (currently developing even its name)
For Wooflets (Puppys created with Woof) a new improved
PPM is now available

Woof
This allows a combining of Ubuntu or Slackware or Debian
or just introduced from Iguleder, Red Hat/Fedora files
with Puppy programs and scripts (a unique Puppy capability and innovation from Barry K)

Pupeee and Fluppy
For netbooks, this is complete, good looking and slick
Jemimah continues to improve and find new programs

LightHouse 64bit
Not yet out but already being planned . . .

Community effort
Lucid, Spot/Slacko, Dpup
Developers such as Ttuuxxx are moving
between supporting individual
and more communal projects
A great deal of cross fertilisation

Puppy
Penguin innovation
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 27 May 2011, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the great work of Playdayz and 01Micko for the 2 fabulous releases leading to PUP525 as well as BarryK and Shinobar for WARY and International WARY. They were the people who set the bar (version 5) and draw the line for the rest of the community to follow.

Their work is/was not overlooked. My wholehearted THANKS goes to them. I fully recognize their enormous contribution to the existence of Puppy as we know it today.

Master_wrong

#4 Post by Master_wrong »

:shock:

honestly I wouldnt able to create cluster-pup without the help and pet of all other dev in this forum.
i think i just got lucky. :D
Cluster-Pup v.2-Puppy Beowulf Cluster
[url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=499199#499199[/url]